Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I wonder how it compared to the DV little jazz in terms of volume and dynamics

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The DV Mark Little Jazz is the winner by far in my book. It has a nice big fat jazz tone and is very responsive to the touch when playing through it--way more dynamic than the Quilter. I have used the DV Mark on many gigs and with large rehearsal groups and I almost aways get a compliment on its nice sound. And volume has never been a problem and it is virtually plug and play--no fiddling wioth the tone controls needed.

The Quilter on the other hand has been a challenge. It sounds really awesome in my practice room (!) but when I play out it falls apart--it is either too thin, too boomy or muddy sounding--no matter what setting is selected (brown, tweed, etc) or where the tone controls are. And no matter if it is on the floor or raised up. I know Rich Severson gets a great tone from his guitars with the Quilter but it does not work for my guitar (NYL-2 D"Angelico copy by Vestax, Japan) so I'm back to the DV Mark 100%.

User Info Menu

Absolutely prefer the Quilter for the clarity and crispiness .clean not low end boomy like other amps.

kind of a sparkle to it!

I went for the 12"

tried the DV but was not as clear as the Quilter -music store (?) in WI has the 12 for 1k

power to spare incredibly loud without losing any clarity....amazing amp!~

User Info Menu

I played the head, and whether it was extraordinarily unique to that particular Mach2 I found the reverb too noisy at low volumes for my tastes. When asked about it, the dealer said it was typical of the Mach2. Unacceptable for me, and unfortunate as it sounded pretty good.

Since I don't overuse (but do depend on) it, I'd rather have a so-so quiet reverb than a great noisy one that I'd have to replace with a pedal. Others here have noted the reverb issue and it did not bother anyone as much as it did me that I read of, so YMMV, just look for it if you decide to buy.
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov View Post
    Absolutely prefer the Quilter for the clarity and crispiness .clean not low end boomy like other amps.

kind of a sparkle to it!

I went for the 12"

tried the DV but was not as clear as the Quilter -music store (?) in WI has the 12 for 1k

power to spare incredibly loud without losing any clarity....amazing amp!~

Agree with this. Played a Quilter Mach2 at a jam 2 nights ago Plugged a 335 into it an voila great sound. Was, not boxy and not pudgy in the low end. The amp was owned by the bass player at the gig (go figure) as he plays guitar from time to time. I want one now but anticipate lengthy negotiation with "she who must be obeyed"...

Tried the Mark and liked it but find it a bit boxy compared to the Quilter...

User Info Menu

The DV Mark and Quilter are like chalk and cheese really.
    Both are great, but they do different things.

The DV Mark has the "Polytone" kind of sound happening - fairly dark and uncoloured.
    I love my Little Jazz for a Johnny Smith kind of tone.

I have a Quilter- it's designed to act and sound like a tube amp.
    It's voiced more like a Fender amp. Totally different to the DV Mark.

I like both.