The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

This was one of my best viewed Blog entries of the last year:

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swings versus d' Addario Chromes

TI even published it on their Facebook page.

Bear in mind that over here in Europe TIs are cheaper than Chromes!!!!!!!

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What do you like to put your ES-125? I play with my thumb and currently have D'addario Half-Rounds as I was afraid that flats/thumb combo would make it too mellow sounding acoustically. I figured I'd ask you as your experience with the 125s is waaaaaay more than mine only having owned it for a few months.

User Info Menu

What do TIs and Chromes go for over in Europe?

User Info Menu

I've used both, I actually find both are just fine for my needs.

I generally stick to Chromes, because they're cheaper and easier to find...but from what I remember of the TI's, the basses had a "softer" feel (less tension?) and I think they lasted a bit longer. So if they're cheaper where you are, I say it's a "no brainer."

Plus, the silk wraps do look cool...do they have some function too, in toning down any "pinging" from a metal tailpiece?

User Info Menu

I play exclusively TI JS112 for their dead out of the package and looser feel than the brighter Chromes
    They are way more expensive here in Canada or even USA, so I buy mine from Germany; even with shipping and euro conversion its still cheaper!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    What do TIs and Chromes go for over in Europe?
    14,50 euro for a 0.12 set of Jazz Swings. Chromes same price level or more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    What do you like to put your ES-125? I play with my thumb and currently have D'addario Half-Rounds as I was afraid that flats/thumb combo would make it too mellow sounding acoustically. I figured I'd ask you as your experience with the 125s is waaaaaay more than mine only having owned it for a few months.
    On my 125 I have a 0.11 TI Jazz Swing set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Plus, the silk wraps do look cool...do they have some function too, in toning down any "pinging" from a metal tailpiece?
    Not sure. I always thought it was just cosmetics.

User Info Menu

I'm also a fan of the TIs lower string tension, which allows me to use a Bebop 14 set very comfortably.
    I've been able to find eBay sellers in other countries that sell multiple sets somewhat cheaper than music stores here in the USA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    On my 125 I have a 0.11 TI Jazz Swing set.
    That seems really light, as it would be the equivalent of a D'addario 10 set. What gauge strings do you normally use on your archtops, and do you vary the gauge based on the scale length?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    That seems really light, as it would be the equivalent of a D'addario 10 set. What gauge strings do you normally use on your archtops, and do you vary the gauge based on the scale length?
    As a matter of fact I do. On the smaller scale (125, 175) I prefer 0.11 and on my Tal Farlow and Barney Kessel I have 0.12. Over the last few years I have been gravitating towards less string tension on all my guitars. I may even try 0.11 Jazz sings on my 25.5 scale guitars and finally end up with 0.11 on all of them. I'm getting older and comfortable playing is getting more important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    As a matter of fact I do. On the smaller scale (125, 175) I prefer 0.11 and on my Tal Farlow and Barney Kessel I have 0.12. Over the last few years I have been gravitating towards less string tension on all my guitars. I may even try 0.11 Jazz sings on my 25.5 scale guitars and finally end up with 0.11 on all of them. I'm getting older and comfortable playing is getting more important.
    Interesting.

I have used 13's for years, but have been using 12's a bit over the last few years on a few guitars and have enjoyed the lower tension. At 61 years of age, my fingertips and joints are beginning to hurt after a few nights in a row of playing 13's. Yesterday I sold my last 4 sets of TI 13's to a fellow forum member and am now in the process of putting TI 12's on all of my guitars. My bet is that in my 70's (or perhaps sooner), I will gravitate to the 11's and if I live long enough, I will probably be down to the 10's. You gotta do what you gotta do. Hell, if it comes down to playing with Ernie Ball 8's or not playing at all, I'll take the 8's!

I prefer the TI's to the Chromes for both the lower tension and the warmer tone. At $22 a set here in the USA, it is a good thing TI's last as long as they do. I sure wish an American string manufacturer made pure nickel, round core flatwound strings.

User Info Menu

I used Chromes for 25 years then switched to TI. I haven't turned back. I use both round- and flatwound TI strings on my archtop guitars, and I think they are worth the premium price in the US.

I concur with DB's analysis as to why I like TI.

User Info Menu

TI 12s for me. I hope to live long enough to work my way down to 8s!

User Info Menu

I gotta ask: what is up with TI prices in North America? I can buy all sorts of crap on the Internet from China, and the shipping is cheap, but here are the prices on juststrings (to take a typical example):

TI Swing: $USD 28.31
    TI George Benson $USD 39.08 (are we keeping George in champagne and ladies?)

D'A Chrome: $USD 14.99

User Info Menu

If one watches for deals, it’s usually not too hard to pick TI Swings for $17-20 a set. The JS113 set is usually the most expensive.

User Info Menu

In the U.S. Chromes aren't cheap and TI's are just stupid. I would like TI's to be about 1 1/2 inches longer so I could get more than one wrap on the tuner for the G and the B string, and actually I've never liked the TI wound G, so its easy to justify just buying chromes. Most of all I would like an easy to find (in the U.S.) third choice for flatwounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    If one watches for deals, it’s usually not too hard to pick TI Swings for $17-20 a set. The JS113 set is usually the most expensive.
    I do watch for deals, but to be fair, I would then compare sale price against sale price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte
    In the U.S. Chromes aren't cheap and TI's are just stupid. I would like TI's to be about 1 1/2 inches longer so I could get more than one wrap on the tuner for the G and the B string, and actually I've never liked the TI wound G, so its easy to justify just buying chromes. Most of all I would like an easy to find (in the U.S.) third choice for flatwounds.
    One local shop stocks Curt Mangan flats so I bought a set for my '34 L7.
    Six months or so later I just love them. Different from TI's -- a bit more raw maybe.
    I have TI 12's on a couple of other guitars, but these strings have me enthusiastic.

User Info Menu

Am I the only LaBella user here?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    Am I the only LaBella user here?
    Stainless Steel or the Nylon Tape Wounds? I used the Nylon 14s for a long time, but I'm taking a break. Never tried the SS -- I always assumed SS would be brighter than chrome or nickel, but I give em big up for coming in a 15 gauge.

Didn't some string manufacturer make a 15 gauge Pat Martino set? Still?

EDIT: <googles/> Gawddam!

That's the medium set. The 15s were "light"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    TI 12s for me. I hope to live long enough to work my way down to 8s!
    I have played upright bass for almost 50 years. You either play or you don't. There's not but so much you can do if the action feels stiff under your left hand. OTOH, bass makes all guitar strings seem light gauge.

User Info Menu

I've occasionally wondered about bass string tension, so I looked it up on the D'Addario tension chart. If I read correctly, a .040 gauge bass G would have a similar tension to a .024 gauge G in a guitar set of Chromes or Halfwounds (33-34 lbs). I have no idea about upright bass. Anyway, they're different worlds, I mean you're generally not holding down a lot of barre chords on bass...

I like the way TIs are made. They just need to offer them in a greater variety of gauges - ever tried to put together a custom set? Impossible.

User Info Menu

You should also do a Pyramid gold vs TI comparison. They go for about the same price in North America.

User Info Menu

Upright bass string tension is pretty high. It makes going to guitar seem easy peasey.