The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

What are you guys using for distortion in your jazz solos these days? I've been using Wampler's Pinnacle - nope, it does not make you magically sound like Eddie Just a great sounding distortion that is extremely versatile.

- Rhizomeman

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not in my jazz solos, but in general I've been relying more on my Suhr Eclipse. Very flexible.

User Info Menu

Junior Barnyard or El Pescadero.

Still got room for the Timmy and the Honey bee though.

User Info Menu

I doubt I will buy one but I might just for the graphics:

noiseKICK FX Reagan Fuzz

User Info Menu

Which one does Benson use?

User Info Menu

Wampler for me too - Euphoria The pre-gain bass boost is great for fattening up a tinny amp.

User Info Menu

wampler dual fusion, i set the blue channel up for clean boost and the red channel up for a dumbleish sound

User Info Menu

When I play jazz on my Strat I use Mojo Mojo with low to no gain. It really fattens single coils. Unlike most OD's it's very bass and lower mids heavy. It's pretty unusable with humbuckers for me, but you get a good jazz tone from strat with heavy gauge strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Which one does Benson use?
    MXR Super Badass

User Info Menu

Wampler Black 65, TC Electronic Mojomojo, Wampler Euphoria, Hotone Grass, Hermida Zendrive

User Info Menu

I'm also a Wampler user, with the Tumnus Deluxe and the Euphoria on my board, but with different gain settings.

User Info Menu

Zendrive. The tones controls on these are great as there are separate tone controls for the dry part of the signal and the gain(ed) part.

I use two; one set for just a bit of hair and slightly darker tone than flat and the other more actual dirt and a slightly brighter tone. The bright one is first in the chain and goes into the darker one, and I can get three different tones using one, the other or both. Levels are set so there's not much boost from just one of them, but both together it's fairly boosted. They're right next to each other on my board so it's easy to hit both at once if need be.

User Info Menu

that's actually not true. The tone and voice are both acting upon the overdriven signal

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    Zendrive. The tones controls on these are great as there are separate tone controls for the dry part of the signal and the gain(ed) part.

I use two; one set for just a bit of hair and slightly darker tone than flat and the other more actual dirt and a slightly brighter tone. The bright one is first in the chain and goes into the darker one, and I can get three different tones using one, the other or both. Levels are set so there's not much boost from just one of them, but both together it's fairly boosted. They're right next to each other on my board so it's easy to hit both at once if need be.

User Info Menu

I don't use any pedals for either of my performing jazz groups or the band I sit in with that plays old rock & roll, R&B, blues... but in my classic rock band I use the Boss SD-1 Super Over Drive. This pedal is still in it's first version from about forty years ago, was the first asymmetric soft clipping overdrive, is the most natural sounding of all over drives to this day.
    I removed capacitor #6 from the low pass filter of the tone control (which is the main sound change included in the boutique mods - removing just the #6 cap is called the "blanket mod" as in taking the blanket off from covering the amp).

For jazz, I just like clean and use volume / tone.

For blues / fusion, I like the Maxon SD-9 or the Mooer Black Secret (Rat clone) for distortion type pedals.
    For Overdrive, I like the Voodoolab Sparkle Drive because of the signal blend pot.

I also have a Lehle Julian, but didn’t find it to provide anything “ear opening” in this context with fender clean amps.

I tend to use the Sparkle Drive the most.

User Info Menu

With my Fender Super Champ XD Vintage Modified Tube Amp set in Dumble mode, I don't need a distortion pedal, it's all in the fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    that's actually not true. The tone and voice are both acting upon the overdriven signal
    The Voice control is actually pre-gain but not exactly a dry/clean signal eq.
    Gain acts upon voice, not the other way around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred98
    The Voice control is actually pre-gain but not exactly a dry/clean signal eq.
    Gain acts upon voice, not the other way around.
    Hmmm.... could you elaborate on this?

In using it, it always seemed like "tone" effects the signal before any dirt is introduced, and "voice" effects the tone of the signal after the dirt. I probably shouldn't have used the word "dry" in my previous post as that implies there is a wet/dry signal.

As I recall (it's been a LONG time) the literature said that a "flat" setting was with the "tone" control fully clockwise (5 o'clock) and the "voice" control fully counter clockwise (7 o'clock).

User Info Menu

BK Butler Tube Driver

User Info Menu

I have the Euphoria too. Might have to put it on my board for some upcoming gigs. It does sound gorgeous.

And, can I also say the response to this thread has been really amazing!! Thanks to everyone for your comments. To tell you the truth, I wasn't quite sure how many of us on here were using distortion. Seems quite a few of us are, which is cool.

User Info Menu

At the moment I've got the Wampler Tweed '57 for a bit of grind, which stacks beautifully with Mad Professor''s Sweet Honey Overdrive. Then, when things need to get ridiculous (and occasionally things need to get ridiculous), it's Rat (Mooer Black Secret) time.

User Info Menu

I don't use any pedals at the mo ....

what at would be a good pedal to get an amount
    of distortion like the "green onions" type of sound ?

i need that sound occasionally...

User Info Menu

i have used a RAT for many years, but recently got a modified tube screamer, which is great as a boost, to add just a little grit
    i recently downloaded a newish album by my old teacher (rez abbasi) and he has the most awesome distorted tone through his solid state amp... i asked him what he's using (he used to use a RAT also) he said he is using the bluenote pedal... i want to try one now, but they are a little pricey

User Info Menu

I don't use pedals for swing or gypsy, but I do have many, many, many distortion pedals I tend to only use distortion with Fender single coils, so my pedals are tuned for that kinda sound.

Hardwire CM-2 - best tube screamer type I've ever used. My goto for low gain and even some high gain tones!
    EQ Hoof - my current "muff" style, I also use a EHX Russian or a Skreddy Mayo for this slot
    Skreddy Screwdriver - the fizz remover, tames Fender amps like nothing else, good for low/med gain, very strong voice, not transparent at all

If I want to use a bridge humbucker, like a Bluesbird, and I want more of a Marshall tone, then either a MI Audio Crunchbox or a Blackstar HT-DistX tube pedal.

User Info Menu

Ethos Overdrive... works for me.