The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72

User Info Menu

Not counting the ones that I am currently building, I have 25. Obviously, not all are kept at home.

I collect amps. But, I mainly play a 5e3 Deluxe and a Polytone MiniBrute.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have three amps that I use (a couple unused ones in storage.)

My main amp is a Fender SuperSonic 22. It’s not modded, but upgraded with a GA-SC64 speaker, NOS tubes and kickback legs.

I also have a DV Mark Little Jazz that gets a lot of use. Sounds great and is easier to schlepp around than the SS22.

Finally I have a Mustang Mini. Comes in handy when I need to play off of the grid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Not counting the ones that I am currently building, I have 25. Obviously, not all are kept at home.

I collect amps. But, I mainly play a 5e3 Deluxe and a Polytone MiniBrute.
    25 amps?!

Man, are you mad?!

I only have 19 and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. (She is rarely wrong.)

Amp GAS is often worse than guitar GAS.

User Info Menu

I have four
    Fender 65RI Deluxe Reverb
    Roland Blues Cube Stage
    Roland JC-40
    Peavey Classic 30
    The only I wouldn’t part with is the Fender Deluxe Reverb.

User Info Menu

How many rooms are in your house?

IMO You need at least a few, if not more.

When faced with culling the heard, I usually look to get value; Get rid of the most expensive thing that you don't use. you might as well keep the cheap stuff that you like.

I have a Champion bass amp. I like it, very 'boomie'. I've read good reviews of the Champion guitar amps, especially the clean channels. and they are dirt cheap.

User Info Menu

Marshall JVM 210 plus 2x12 cab
    Fender Twin RI
    Hi-Tone 50DG
    Morgan SW50R
    within an elaborate Wet-Dry-Wet Setup

A 1x12 Tweed amp from a local builder that I keep in the rehearsal room.
    AER Compact XL for acoustic

somewhere in the basement is a Roland Cube80 and an old Polytone that I am not using anymore. Would love to have a Bassman and perhaps a Vox AC30, but I am out of space and it is Fine ... I like my amps and guitars and currently don‘t look for anything else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    I also have a DV Mark Little Jazz that gets a lot of use. Sounds great and is easier to schlepp around than the SS22.
    I also have the SS22, as well as an SS60 to insure I have enough volume/headroom for rock gigs... if you think the 22 is heavy....!!!

User Info Menu

I’ve owned many over the years including, but not limited to:

Fender Super Twin
    Fender Pro Jr III
    Fender George Benson HR Deluxe
    Fender Mustang IV
    Fender Mustang III (Current)
    Fender Cyber Twin
    Fender Cyber Deluxe
    Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    Fender Super Champ XD
    Fender Blues Deluxe
    Fender Blues Junior Tweed
    Carvin Nomad
    Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Henriksen JazzAmp 112
    Henriksen JazzAmp 110 (Current)
    Henriksen JazzAmp Ten (Current)
    Supro TremoVerb
    Roland Blues Cube Artist
    Roland Cube 80GX
    Roland JC 120

also:
    Traynor YCV40
    Fender Twin blackface
    Roland AC60
    Roland JC40

There are a few I am forgetting, but that’s pretty complete. I would love to have been able to keep most of them, but money and space were both prohibitive. Only three remain, with the new Henriksen Ten being what I mainly use these days.

I have owned as many or more guitars as well, but limit myself to five electrics and one acoustic on hand.

GAS!
    Last edited by snoskier63; 02-17-2019 at 06:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Add one more to the list. I picked up a PRS Archon as a part of a way too good to pass up deal. I’m trying it out right now and comparing it to the high gain flavor of the ENGL. The clean channel seems to have massive headroom also.

Surely I can’t be the only guy here that likes to have a high gain amp around.

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I want to hear a Marshall amp playing jazz, I never liked them in the past, but my interest is piqued about what i could do with one now.... sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone
    I guess it depends on your definition of Jazz, but Lee Ritenour has been using one for a while, I believe a JCM800 if I’m not mistaken?

If you’re looking for something more in terms of “Traditional” jazz, a 1962 (Bluesbreaker), 1973X, 1974X and even a JTM45 can get you there.

Yes, they’re know for “Crunch”, but Marshalls can have surprisingly good clean tone.

YMMV

User Info Menu

i have a couple tube amps and a couple quilters. I'm glad to hear from some folks who value amps. I'm always shocked when I see how many archtop guys spend $5k-$10k on an archtop and then want to play it through a $300 roland cube amp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i have a couple tube amps and a couple quilters. I'm glad to hear from some folks who value amps. I'm always shocked when I see how many archtop guys spend $5k-$10k on an archtop and then want to play it through a $300 roland cube amp
    I was a Rudy's in Soho two summers ago, upstairs, trying out vintage D'Angelico's with Rudy. Played through a Bud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I was a Rudy's in Soho two summers ago, upstairs, trying out vintage D'Angelico's with Rudy. Played through a Bud.
    Doesn't surprise me. I would use my Blu with one of my vintage D'Angelicos and feel that I was using the right amp for the guitar.

User Info Menu

The two amps I play all gigs where I need different sounds or don't know what to expect (I often play sub for bands) is one Koch SE6 and one Koch SE12 (plus my pedalboard). Whenever I can, I just use my two 5e3 (wet/dry, wet is just some echorepeats (Maxon AD999), no other effects). For acoustics or really clean Jazz I use my AER Alpha with AG8 extension. I have a Koch Multitone II Combo (100W), if I need something bigger (normally the other amps are fine, we're always miced and I always have monitors, but just in case, I will keep that one ready to use). I like buying and selling stuff, but if I don't use it, I will not keep it.

Update:

I wound up keeping the champ and the princeton, I traded the blues jr back in for the champ. I got more in trade in than I paid in cash for it, so I consider that a success.

Of course I may end up buying it again in the future, but I feel a lot better about having two brand new amps than three. I now have all the time in the world to get to know these two great amps and really take time to decide if I want another Blues jr amp, or if a pedal in the princeton will do the trick.

User Info Menu

I have six amps but only use three of them.... a Quilter Aviator 2x10'', DV Mark Little Jazz, and a Peavey Session 400.

Between those I can cover gigs of pretty much any size. Both the Quilter and the Peavey are voiced kind of like a Fender amp, and the DV Mark has a bit of a Polytone thing happening. The Peavey only gets dragged out when I need serious power (ie. soloing in front of a loud big band).

what I really would like is an old Ampeg tube amp , but here in Australia they are few and far between.

User Info Menu

I have two:
    Henriksen JazzAmp Ten
    Yamaha THR 10C

My three electrics are two Fender Teles and a Fender Jazzmaster. I probably should have a Fender amp as well and I was also torn between the ‘57 Champ and the ‘68 Custom Princeton Reverb.

However, the Champ makes me feel like I’m playing a toy. So I’m leaning towards the Princeton but I can wait until I come across a screaming deal for that one. The Henriksen is really all I need and the Yamaha is great for travel and bedroom practice.

User Info Menu

Way too many and it's time to divest.

Koch Studiotone 20 head (my only tube amp, turns out I'm a solid state kind of guy)
    Acoustic Image Clarus 2R
    Lunchbox
    Roland Cube 30
    Schertler David
    Schertler Unico
    Ultrasound 100-J
    LR Baggs Acoustic Reference

And too many cabs:
    RE Twin-8
    RE Stealth 12
    RE Stealth 12-ER
    Redstone 12
    Evans 15
    Schertler Pub (powered extension cab for David/Unico)
    (And a TOOB-10 on the way)

The AI and Ultrasound are the ones I use mostly now. The Lunchbox and Roland get some use in small rehearsals and at the summer place. I'll be selling the Koch and Baggs as well as the three RE cabs, all of which are superb instruments that I don't use very much anymore. Haven't decided yet about the Schertlers, which used to be my main rehearsal and gigging amps but don't take to preamp pedals nearly as well as the AI and Ultrasound.

User Info Menu

Surveys like this should be followed by further questions:

Do you have a good reason for owning so many amps?
    Are you a professional musician?
    Do you have other collections?
    Are you feckless?
    Have you sought therapy?'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Are you feckless?
    I can't speak for others in this thread, but I consider myself quite well-fecked.

User Info Menu

How about feckled?

User Info Menu

I presently own a Vox AC15, Vox MV50 AC, ZT Lunchbox, and a THD Univalve. I mostly play the AC15 with guitar and use the ZT for keys and bass.