The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 72

User Info Menu

Princeton Reverb
    Fender Champion 20
    Roland Microcube

If I were to find myself in situations where I needed significantly more clean headroom than the PR, I'd look at something louder (the current Quilters look good), but that's unlikely. I have very limited storage space, so these 3 is kind of the sweet spot for me.

The PR is the best sounding amp I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch of vintage tube amps), so it's not going anywhere. The MC is starting to fall apart, so will eventually have to be replaced. I like to take walks and play outside, so I'd just get another. The C20 is perfect for the weekly jam session I frequent, and as a second amp when another guitar player comes over.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I own 4, BUT:

1 is tiny and battery-powered, for taking on vacations, so I don't really count that one.

1 is a small modeler, so I can play at low volumes, at night, but still have all the high-gain/high-volume tones I want.

The other 2: one is my main amp, a 22-watter, and the other is the 60W verison of the same amp, to ensure I have to goods (volume and headroom) for the rock band I play in. I love the 22-watter, and I could reasonably keep it as my main amp for the rest of my life; but it's not a "holy grail", it's not handwired... I have only played a couple of "holy grail" amps in my life, and I either couldn't afford them or they belonged to someone else. I haven't gotten mine yet. I tend to be more like that ("looking for the holy grail") with the guitars than the amps/pedals.

If I didn't play in a rock band, and if I had a dedicated room I could soundproof as a music room, I would only need 1 amp, whatever that was. Because it wouldn't be about "a different amp for every tone I need", I would be able to get everything I needed out of one amp (the right amp).

User Info Menu

Five:

• Allen Encore head/12+10 cab
    • Lil Dawg Dlux 1x15
    • Pure 64 Mean Streets Classic head/cab
    • Polytone MB II
    • Polytone MB IV

Two others consigned for sale:

• Magnatone 415 Clio
    • Sterling tweed bassman

User Info Menu

For practice at home or rehearsal :
    a 5F1 clone I built. Because it is light as a feather and sounds great andclean
    For gigging :
    Mesa Boogie TA15 or Fryette Memphis 30 (the latter being out for maintenance now)
    I'm currently building a 5E8 clone for gigging use
    My previous Park G10 and Vox AD15VT are retired

User Info Menu

I have one amp (due to the extra head room of the beasts below) a 65 Princeton clone with a twelve inch. It is in a pine box so pretty light.

Desperately need either a Tweed Champ clone or a Tweed Deluxe clone they have extra sticky goodness that oozes out of them.

I say have both man, I am sure you deserve it.

User Info Menu

Fat Finger,
    If you like all the amps and can afford having them, then keep them! As we often say here, amps/guitars/etc. are tools, and each one may be a little (or a lot!) different, and/or may pull something else out of us musically, so it's "OK" to have more than one [and that's only partially rationalizing our purchases, right?!). I attempt to stay functional with my amps, so I'm thinking about the kind of gigs I play with which band, and the kind of venues we're in, and I have rigs that can fit. I play/gig on bass, too, and have a simple yet effective rig for those gigs.

Amps are fun, though, and I definitely come across other or "new" amps out there that I'd like to try out. GAS is a horrible affliction ...

User Info Menu

I happily sold a few amps the past month, so now i have only 3 tube amps. A late 60s Princeton reverb with a Celestion G10S-50 speaker that i mostly use for gigging, a 71 Twin reverb blackfaced head that i use at home (with 2x10 speakers that came from a vibrolux, not optimal for this amp, but ok its just at home ), and a tiny Marshall Dsl1hr 1 watt head that is great fun in the house and in recordings (still havent settled on a cab and 16ohm speaker on this one)!

I also have an AER compact 60 for acoustic and nylon guitars, a Henriksen 110r (that i 'm also selling), a ZT lunchbox that i gig a lot with (really love the small size), and a Roland 40xl cube.

So 7, hopefully soon to be 6 amps. Maybe i 'll sell the Twin at some point too, but it sounds faboulous! I love all Fender amps, have had a lot over the years, but the problem is, i don't really enjoy them at home due to low volume, and most are just too heavy for me to bother carrying at gigs. Although i know i need to get a bigger tube amp now that my Allesandro is gone, but i'm still undecided between a deluxe reverb and a pro reverb.

If i wasn't gigging i 'd probably keep 2-3 amps only, but still you never know when you decide to have a rehearsal room, somewhere to jam with people etc, so an extra amp or two are always handy to have. And i really like to have as little gear as possible, which can still be a lot since i enjoy and play a variety of music styles and guitars.. I mean i sometimes felt 9-10 amps were too many, but then i only have to think of a few friends that have literally dozens, .. and don't really play out much either.. It's all good!

User Info Menu

I've got nine:

Standel 25L15
    Standel 50J15
    Standel 50J12V
    Standel 20J12T
    Standel 32J12T
    Standel Studio XII
    2 Gibson GA19RVT
    Maestro Reverb Echo Deluxe

User Info Menu

1978 Boogie Mark I hardwood/cane
    1966 Fender BF super reverb
    1973 Fender SF super reverb
    2014 TopHat super deluxe MKII
    2016 Vintage Sound vintage 20
    2014 Vintage Sound vintage 40
    2017 Tungsten Cortez
    2018 DV Mark little jazz
    2006 Ultrasound Pro200 (acoustic amp)
    And then there are the bass amps..........

User Info Menu

Allen Sweet Spot 1 x 12
    Tube Depot 5e3
    5f2 clone
    Quilter 101 Reverb

User Info Menu

I have one amp, henrikson 310 or 312 i forget. sounds great

User Info Menu

Let's see...

I have my Henriksen, Polytone, Lunchbox, and Princeton, oh, and let's not forget the one I actually use most--the MicroCube!

Actually, now I remember there's an old "Acoustic" brand bass amp in the basement too, which I should probably get rid of as I don't even own a bass currently...

User Info Menu

I rarely play out these days and am now down to 2 amps. Firstly a Princeton Recording which I bought principally for the blackface sound but with a power attenuator that allows it to produce the same sound at low volume levels. It has been my principal amp for about 10 years now, and the only minor negative point is the 10¨ speaker which calls for some eq boost on the lower mids to get the jazz sounds that I like to hear from my ES175 and AS200. For all other styles the Princeton Recording ticks all my boxes, and the reverb is excellent - even if I rarely take it beyon 1d or 2 on the scale......

My other amp is a 1980s Laney Linebacker 50 with 2x12¨speakers. On the rare occasions I play out and need more clean headroom, I will take this over the Princeton Recording, unless there are some good miking facilities or a possibility of going into the PA. Solid state it may be but it has a balanced even sound all the way across the spectrum and dosn't sound "flat" - takes pedals well, too - but it's heavier than the Princeton Recording....

Two different amps, but each giving me access to different sounds that I really want to have.

Since I rarely play out I'm toying with the idea of letting the Laney Linebacker 50 go, and replacing it with a Blackstar Studio 10 (6L6 or KT88, not EL34), once I've had the opportunity of trialing one here in Paris - the demo videos I've seen are very positive but I want to hear with MY ears before taking the leap. Anyone had the chance to try these yet?

User Info Menu

I go through a lot of guitars...just because it's fun! But I only need one amp. Carr Rambler, 28 watts with a 12" speaker. Expensive, but it's perfect. 38 lbs.

I do have a Quilter Aviator 8" for backup and rehearsals. 19 lbs. Last week our bass player's amp died at the gig and she plugged the Quilter into her cab....sounded great.

User Info Menu

As of today, I'm down to one amp (Evans RE200) and it feels weird. I usually have several heads and a bunch of cabinets but recently felt the need to downsize. I'm down to 4 guitars: 1 homemade Tele with single coils for regular gigs, 1 homemade Tele with a single HB for chord solo, a lovely Brook Torridge (Sitka/mahogany) from the UK for DADGAD and other pretty fingerstyle stuff and a Martin 000-18 for country blues, rags, Merle Travis, Doc Watson stuff. I do need to start looking for an acoustic amp of some sort that provides phantom power because I refuse to put a pickup in my acoustics. Actually thought of buying a low end Taylor for acoustic gigs but just can't make myself do it. Any suggestions on acoustic amps?

User Info Menu

I have had the one amp for twenty-two years: a Princeton Reverb II with a Fender 12F speaker. I also have a pair of Vox Amphones, which emulate a Fender Twin. I feel no need for anything else. If I were a gigging musician, things would be different, I am sure.

User Info Menu

I have two.

A Quilter Mach 2 that I gig with and a 101R/Blockdock for home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Any suggestions on acoustic amps?
    If we are talking about amps for flat top acoustic guitars, my only suggestion is to expect that they are all different flavors of blah. Just like undersaddle pickups - sometimes necessary evils.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    If we are talking about amps for flat top acoustic guitars, my only suggestion is to expect that they are all different flavors of blah. Just like undersaddle pickups - sometimes necessary evils.
    Yep, I agree, especially with the under saddle pickups. The passive bridge plate transducers like K&K and JJB seem better but I still don't care much for them and I firmly believe that batteries and preamps don't belong in acoustic guitars for those dual source things. I'm looking for an amp that will provide phantom power and work well with a condenser mic. I'm thinking of going to a small mixer and powered cabinet like QSC. I don't jump around and sing and play 'rock star' when I play so sitting near a mic is just fine for me.

User Info Menu

That is what I use the AI Clarus 2R Series III + Buscarino Chameleon for (I also own an RE 200 btw). I have a KA 12-pole piece floating HB and a Barbera Soloist transducer on my archtop. I use a stereo cable plugged into both channels of the Clarus. I have the primary signal (based on channel volume) out of the HB and the Barbera is used for ambiance. I don't particularly like the pure acoustic sound amplified. The KA provides the body of the sound and the Barbera supports it. I suspect a Henrikson The Bud could be used similarly. I think a two-way speaker with HF capability is important in amplifying an acoustic sound.

As of today, I'm down to one amp (Evans RE200) and it feels weird. I usually have several heads and a bunch of cabinets but recently felt the need to downsize. I'm down to 4 guitars: 1 homemade Tele with single coils for regular gigs, 1 homemade Tele with a single HB for chord solo, a lovely Brook Torridge (Sitka/mahogany) from the UK for DADGAD and other pretty fingerstyle stuff and a Martin 000-18 for country blues, rags, Merle Travis, Doc Watson stuff. I do need to start looking for an acoustic amp of some sort that provides phantom power because I refuse to put a pickup in my acoustics. Actually thought of buying a low end Taylor for acoustic gigs but just can't make myself do it. Any suggestions on acoustic amps?

User Info Menu

The musicians' gear "Rule of Threes."
    For every three pieces of gear (amps, guitars, etc.) you sell, you will eventually regret selling two of them.

User Info Menu

Yep, I agree, especially with the under saddle pickups. The passive bridge plate transducers like K&K and JJB seem better but I still don't care much for them and I firmly believe that batteries and preamps don't belong in acoustic guitars for those dual source things. I'm looking for an amp that will provide phantom power and work well with a condenser mic. I'm thinking of going to a small mixer and powered cabinet like QSC. I don't jump around and sing and play 'rock star' when I play so sitting near a mic is just fine for me.
    I have (although I rarely use it), and Ultrasound Pro 200 amp. I have never been tempted by sound quality to purchase something more expensive, With these things I would probably choose by form factor. I also have a DPA 1099G clip on external condenser mic. Really wonderful sound imo. But the challenge is keeping it attached to the guitar as the clip is woefully inadequate.

User Info Menu

Two: Princeton Reverb hardwired copy with a wonky reverb, and Roland Blues Cube Artist with two Tone Capsules: Ultimate Blues, New York.

I would keep the PRRI. 57 Champ...nice but I would play the PRRI more often so that settles it for me.

User Info Menu

I now have 3 - picked up a used Fender Jazz King the other day for under $150. (A Blues Jr. and G-DEC 3 30 are my other two.) Regarding the Jazz King, it's in excellent condition and everything works, though I haven't tried the FX loop and footswitch yet. If I'm reading the manual correctly, rather than connecting an effects pedal between guitar and amp, I hook the pedal input to "FX SEND" and the pedal output to "FX RETURN". I also assume the "FX Loop" on the footswitch takes the effects pedal in or out of the circuit. Anyone familiar with this? Would this work for any pedal? Thanks!

Dale6122jr

User Info Menu

I have an old Reverberocket, which sounds great. My new DV Mark Little Jazz sounds surprisingly similar.

I have a JC55, which is louder than the LJ and sounds pretty good. I had been gigging with it until I got the LJ. I'll still use it if I have to play louder than the LJ.

Finally, I have a Crate GFX15. This is a very inexpensive amp (Less than $100 new). 12 Watts. It's my practice amp. But, maybe the best sound I ever got on a gig was this amp, mic'ed through a good PA. They sell for around $35 on CL. I've gigged with it in some bigger rooms than you might imagine (100 people or so), no PA, but only when I could get it up to head-height. I stopped gigging with it because it sometimes cuts out. Something to do with the connection of the speaker wires to the board, but hard to figure out because it's intermittent. Several times, I thought I had it fixed, but I didn't.