The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

...I note two recent posts from members with very limited post histories asking for opinions about obvious fake Gibsons. Is it possible that they are using feedback from the forum to become better conterfieters? I admit it’s equally possible that I’m being overly suspicious. But, should we be more careful about sharing such feedback?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you
    As the old saying goes.

One of the threads the OP was suggesting he was going to out the seller on Facebook. You don’t know these new guys, perhaps you’re being unkind suggesting what you have.

User Info Menu

I don’t think that would be worth the effort. The counterfeiters don’t even bother to make their guitars close because they don’t have to. They don’t need us to get the headstock or tailpiece right.

This is a country that perpetuates the myth of the Picasso hanging in a diner, a Bugatti in a farmers shed, or priceless jewelry forgotten in an old lady’s attic. We even have a popular TV show where average Joe’s take grampa’s old saber to be told it’s Custer’s ceremonial saber from West Point and worth millions. They never show the tens of thousands of people who are told the saber is tin and came from a novelty shop at a campground in 1984.

We also love the, “one trick no one wants you to know that will eliminate your mortgage/double your tax return/get you free insurance”. Witness the endless click bait on major websites still pushing the same old scams. We are convinced we are way smarter than the sheeple around us and are just waiting for that opportunity to prove it.

It makes us easy marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    ...I note two recent posts from members with very limited post histories asking for opinions about obvious fake Gibsons. Is it possible that they are using feedback from the forum to become better conterfieters? I admit it’s equally possible that I’m being overly suspicious. But, should we be more careful about sharing such feedback?
    There is something hinky going on every millisecond on the internet, there is no such thing as too paranoid.

Hard to see the play but . . .

User Info Menu

awake to the reality...you can buy anything online...not just rip off guitars!!..and not just from weird vendor sites!!!

how about a byrdland...three hundred $tyle!! hah

and in no way encouraging..but...buyer beware..there's allsorts of shakey stuff goin on with our beloved guitars..for many of us its' a passion..but for just as many others, its a quick buck

cheers

ps- why you have to give massive props to gibsons namm '19 showing/message for even trying to keep on the right path..
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-30-2019 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Not a scam for sure, but wise surfing and bidding can save a lot of buckazoids. Ebay lets you append your watch list with notes.

Are we a focus group for counterfeiters?-dual_listings-jpg

User Info Menu

The Russians have been planting bogus guitars in the US, conspiring to influence the outcome of the Grammy Awards.

User Info Menu

I am not paranoid but I swear that someone is out to fix me.

User Info Menu

The broadcast media has been planting bogus singers in the US, conspiring to influence the buying habits of the listening public and influence the outcome of the Grammy Awards.
    Attached Images Attached Images Are we a focus group for counterfeiters?-miley-cyrus-sexy-6-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    someone is out to fix me.
    Are you broken...?

User Info Menu

I'm not paranoid, but I do think counterfeiters ARE using this forum to see whether their mockups are believable to experts (that's us, by the way, just in case you were wondering ) If we say it looks legit, they could try it on the public, once we've given an estimation of price.

User Info Menu

Gibson has been making fake Gibsons for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I'm not paranoid, but I do think counterfeiters ARE using this forum to see whether their mockups are believable to experts (that's us, by the way, just in case you were wondering ) If we say it looks legit, they could try it on the public, once we've given an estimation of price.
    Thank you, Rob. If I’m paranoid, at least I’m not alone!

User Info Menu

None of us are fooled
    The OP asked and got good advise.
    Mission Accomplished

User Info Menu

Mike, perhaps aliens performed a humorectomy on you during an abduction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Gibson has been making fake Gibsons for many years.
    They are so well made you cannot tell them apart.

User Info Menu

All the Miley Cyrus stuff I get and agree with... Current pop music is pretty much a wasteland of manufactured fluff.
    BUT the guy that replied

Originally Posted by Mark M.

And paranoid, why do you guys think I stopped smoking weed 35 years ago, it wasn't fun anymore. These threads can get like weed too, where the jokes aren't fun.
    Seriously guys, none of us are fooled, they're entertaining yes, but fool us ??? Like they say on ESPN: "Come on man..."

Big

Hey Max, glad to see you around man, I had a dream we met and while I was cooking we talked heart to heart. It was real nice...

Love all you guys

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    The broadcast media has been planting bogus singers in the US, conspiring to influence the buying habits of the listening public and influence the outcome of the Grammy Awards.
    I think that photo is mis-titled because one of those words clearly doesn’t apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    All the Miley Cyrus stuff I get and agree with... Current pop music is pretty much a wasteland of manufactured fluff.
    BUT the guy that replied

Originally Posted by Mark M.

And paranoid, why do you guys think I stopped smoking weed 35 years ago, it wasn't fun anymore. These threads can get like weed too, where the jokes aren't fun.
    Seriously guys, none of us are fooled, they're entertaining yes, but fool us ??? Like they say on ESPN: "Come on man..."

Big

Hey Max, glad to see you around man, I had a dream we met and while I was cooking we talked heart to heart. It was real nice...

Love all you guys
    Mike, I am “the guy” who started the thread somewhat tongue in cheek. Please re-read my original post. Nowhere did I suggest that we were being fooled, only that fakers could use forum feedback to refine their craft. Come on, man. With all due respect, lighten up a bit!

User Info Menu

Are we a focus group for counterfeiters?-a7d88868-f63f-4eac-9c88-38cd0933abb6-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

User Info Menu

The way internet forums work, is that if you post, you ask for a reply. That's a given.

User Info Menu

These kind of posts pop up on other forums all the time e.g. TGP, Les Paul forum etc. The idea that counterfeiters use these posts to refine their craft is a bit ludicrous. What I see are folks who inherited a guitar, a estate sale person, Craig's list buyer etc. If I didn't know anything about a particular guitar, where else would I go. If one is a counterfeiter there are plenty of websites to go to where one can see the real item.
    Last edited by rob taft; 02-01-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fix spelling errors-don't post on your 3rd beer