The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Not that this is the hottest item on most of our gear checklists, but what would you say is your favorite tremolo pedal out there?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like Catalinbread effects, so check out theirs.

User Info Menu

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe +

spectacular

User Info Menu

On BBC4 last night they had the ‘on Guitar’ episode (last of a series on guitar, bass, drums) and someone demonstrated an original tremolo pedal from the 50s (I think) which worked by agitating a chamber full of mercury through which the current passed, thereby creating a tremolo effect. Very ‘old school’ tech but it sounded pretty cool actually.

User Info Menu

Here you go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    On BBC4 last night they had the ‘on Guitar’ episode (last of a series on guitar, bass, drums) and someone demonstrated an original tremolo pedal from the 50s (I think) which worked by agitating a chamber full of mercury through which the current passed, thereby creating a tremolo effect. Very ‘old school’ tech but it sounded pretty cool actually.
    Must be this thing:

DeArmond Model 800 Trem-Trol Tremolo | Reverb

User Info Menu

A few years ago I bought a Boss "Fender Deluxe Reverb" Pedal. The reverb was pretty good, but had 'ghosts trails' if pushed too hard. It also has Vibrato and a subtle boost for early distorted DR or Vibrolux sound.

The BEST feature of the pedal in my view was the Vibrato. It sounds authentic and easy to set with tap tempo. I love it for the Tremolo. They can be found very cheap on the used market.

User Info Menu

the strymon flint...is a big fave...has 3 trems and 3 reverbs..lotsa pros use it..frisell relies on it

also @ namm '19...fender has just announced a similar type trem-reverb pedal...3 trems and verbs..the fender tre-verb

theres many different types of amp trem...bias, harmonic, different waves etc etc...so having a few varieties in a pedal is a good thing

cheers

User Info Menu

I have a Danelectro Cool Cat tremolo pedal that I love. It sounds great, has the standard controls plus a "Hard/Soft" switch for smooth or choppy and costs $50 brand new!

Jonathan

User Info Menu

not really a trem guy, but the flint is solid. there are several in my zoom ms70 that i also don't really use much but are fine. not sure about the new one but the old seymour duncan shape shifter (the big green one) had a lot of neat sounds in it, and you can't even give them away.

User Info Menu

Not the most-used pedal on my board, but my Boss TR-2 is easy to use and gives a wide variety of sounds with rate, depth and wave-shape controls. Built like a bick shi*thouse, and indestructible. I tried half a dozen before settling on this one.

User Info Menu

I recently sold off most of my pedals, but I had a Basic Audio Throbby Tremolo that sounded fantastic.
    It's a boutique build with a very good and well deserved reputation.

But my favorite tremolo is the Fender PRRI. Have you tried one? Really luscious tremolo and lovely reverb too. That amp is what got me interested in tremolo in the first place. Just a hint of slow tremolo adds such a nice dimensionality to the guitar sound.

User Info Menu

I've had some really good ones. Right now, An Alexander Equilibrium. Very useful controls ... a knob for waveform, tone knob, then Mix and depth. Those last two together enable subtle shading of the trem sound. Trem can sound good with jazz stuff, but I don't often use it.

Different story with Bigfoot Magnavibe pedal, which delivers true pitch shift vibrato, ala Magnatone. I'm addicted that that vibrato sound, so use this one more often. But never for anything jazz, strangely enough.

User Info Menu

Mad Professor Mellow Yellow is my favourite. I *love* Tremolo!

User Info Menu

Nothing beats a stereo Magnatone amp with its built-in Vibrato/Tremolo, at least in my opinion. Close second is a built-in Tremolo in a good tube amp like a Fender Vibroverb.

In a pedal, I prefer analogue over digital, especially for Tremolo. I have tried the Source Audio Vertigo and while it offers really great Tremolo sounds, the output signal sounded like a dead copy of me playing, very strange. That might not be noticeable on stage with a band but when playing alone it was awful enough to return it right away and never try another digital Tremolo pedal. Like the Strymon Flint, which a lot of players really like. May well be a mistake to pass it.

For a mono setup from all the pedals that I have tested and owned the Supro Tremolo comes closest to a built-in Trem in a good tube amp. It's a little noisy though. Effectrode makes a great Vibe pedal ("Tube Vibe") and announces a Tube Tremolo pedal since 2016 or so ("Delta Trem"). If it ever becomes available, it should be very interesting.

In a stereo setup a panning Tremolo really opens up a new world. I have tried the Vertigo, the Flux Liquid Tremolo, the Swindler Red Mountain and now have the Fulltone SupaTrem2, which I like best and find recommendable.

Go stereo if you can, it's amazing.