The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Hello! I've been playing guitar since 1983, but I've never owned a semi-hollow body before. I primarily play rock guitar, but I do occasionally listen to and appreciate jazz or fusion (not that I can play it well).

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a semi-hollow guitar, and probably like most rock guitar players, the first that came to mind was the Gibson ES-335 (I also dig Larry Carlton, especially his self-titled aka Room 335 album). Price on the standard 335 models is a bit steep, and the Studio models don't appeal to me aesthetically. I'm leaning toward an Ibanez AS200. I've owned many Ibanez guitars over the year, and really appreciate the quality coming out of the FujiGen factory.

I'm getting to the question... I found another message board (Ibanez Collectors World) wherein someone stated that the AS200 was slightly smaller than the 335. Is this true? I cannot find the body measurements online. If it is true, does the size difference between the two have a significant impact on the tone? I've heard sound comparisons between the 335 and the smaller 339 sized bodies, and it was enough to steer me away from the smaller ones.

Thanks for letting me post my question!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I believe the ES335 body width is 16” whereas the Ibanez is 15.75”. All else being equal, I’m sure the slightly smaller body imparts some difference in tone. But, one ES335 to the next or one AS200 to the next will also sound slightly different, so I wouldn’t overthink it.

The ES339 is much smaller at 14.25”.
    Last edited by GregoryL; 01-24-2019 at 05:37 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Ibanez, but as I found out when I got my Gibson ES: Only a Gibson is a Gibson. That doesn't diminish the quality of an Ibanez, of course - I'm sure that what I perceive as magic or mojo wiht my ES is more to do with association and emotion, being mostly a placebo... What I can definitely say though, is that the neck profile, thin nitro finish, and big frets on my Gibson come together to make it play much smoother than my Ibanez AF 75. Granted, there's hundreds of dollars in price difference, but it's absolutely tangible and worth it.

Why don't you just head to local music shops and try a few out? The only thing that matters is how it feels to play

User Info Menu

If the price is a concern and you like Japanese made guitars, include Yamaha SA-2200 or SA-2100 in your comparisons the quality is utmost, the price is half and you get split coil capability.

User Info Menu

I had a beautiful Gibson ES-335. I also got an Ibanez AS200, an early 80's. It was similar enough in body size that for my perception, I couldn't tell the difference. At all.
    The neck however is another story. The feel is quite different for me, a warm and very inspiring individual feeling Gibson neck and a resonant and solidly consistent Ibanez neck that made me feel like I could do anything. I fell in love with the Ibanez AS200 and then the AS120 neck. It's got a curve on the back that I was totally at ease with.
    One note too, as a tech and luthier, I've seen more 335's go wonky over time, the mahogany necks that tended not to age well. I see far fewer higher end Ibanezes with problems.
    Finally I, for one, don't like Ibanez pickups. Personal choice. I loved the Gibsons. That being said, an AS120 with a set of Duncan Antiquities is the one guitar that has always elicited a "What IS this and can I get one?" response. I'd recommend you try a combination like that before you decide. Only you can know the charms that do it for you.

David
    Last edited by TH; 01-24-2019 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I too am an admirer of Ibanez guitars, I have a few of their semis and they are easily as well made as anything else.

My first semi was a Gibson with a trapeze TP and have had one on and off all my adult life, but unlike Marwin I don't believe that a playing Gibson 335 is a placebo. Even though they have morphed a little bit over the years a bit in neck profiles, installed pups, woods used and bling a 335 is the benchmark for everyone else.

So, IMO, a decent AS-200 is not so far in $$ from a 335 and unless you plan on getting in at a reduced cost for a fixer upper on a costly restoration project or you already have a 335 I think having a real 335 is what you may eventually wind up with. In this case waiting for the real thing will wind up being less expensive.

User Info Menu

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You're a rocker, and want to "take the plunge" to buy a new guitar ... Why? Or maybe, why does it matter? Are you taking the plunge to try jazz, and want a "jazz-style" guitar, or are you just collecting? If you're just collecting guitars, buy whatever you like and can afford. If you want to learn jazz, you don't need a new guitar; do you have a tele or LP? Then you don't need a new -- especially expensive! -- guitar. Take some lessons, learn some jazz, and then go shopping! Like most of us here, the more we learned about the music, the more our tastes in guitars changed, as well, and our "first" jazz guitar was not our last (in many cases). If you search around here a bit for other "newcomer - what do I buy?" posts, the majority recommend inexpensive and/or used at first, even though you've played guitar for many years.

If you're wanting to learn jazz, then a Big Welcome! Hang out, learn, and enjoy!

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You're a rocker, and want to "take the plunge" to buy a new guitar ... Why? Or maybe, why does it matter? Are you taking the plunge to try jazz, and want a "jazz-style" guitar, or are you just collecting? If you're just collecting guitars, buy whatever you like and can afford. If you want to learn jazz, you don't need a new guitar; do you have a tele or LP? Then you don't need a new -- especially expensive! -- guitar. Take some lessons, learn some jazz, and then go shopping! Like most of us here, the more we learned about the music, the more our tastes in guitars changed, as well, and our "first" jazz guitar was not our last (in many cases). If you search around here a bit for other "newcomer - what do I buy?" posts, the majority recommend inexpensive and/or used at first, even though you've played guitar for many years.

If you're wanting to learn jazz, then a Big Welcome! Hang out, learn, and enjoy!

Marc
    I think I actually disagree a little with this -- when I first got interested in jazz, I had a few inexpensive guits -- epi dot, ibanez art core, fender starcaster, various inexpensive fenders/squier, and a few other oddballs -- when I got the gibson, my growth as a musician was exponential!

User Info Menu

I guess the OP's problem with the studio is the lack of neck binding, black body binding and dull finishes. There are some cool studio models from the 90's that are very affordable. If I did not already have the 335 covered, I'd have this one in a minute.

1989 Gibson ES-335 Studio Cherry w/ OHSC | Reverb

User Info Menu

I would only consider swapping my 1980 AS200 (bought for 1700euros a couple of years ago) for an early 1960s 335. The early AS200s with first generation Super 58 pickups are exceptional. If cost is important an early AS200 offers very good value for money.

User Info Menu

Hello to the OP and welcome to the sometimes G Brand Temple of Blind Love.
    As stated above the Ibanez AS200's of the early 80's are amazing. So are the late 70's 2630s with Super 70s.

BUT and it really is important - if you are really a Gibson fan then save your money and buy a Gibson. I think many cats were nursed at an early age on the G brand nipple - I'm old enough to remember the stigma that everyone put on ANYTHING made in Japan. It wasn't until the big gas crises of the late 70s and early 80s that folks actually would consider buying a Honda, or Toyota or other J Brand cars. But once they drove one, got used to the gas sipping engines - well, just take a ride and tell me how many of the Japanese brand cars are the prized vehicles of our day... I saw the same lame stigma laid on the Chinese built guitars yet once folks actually broke down and played one they were very pleasantly surprised... Those mobile devices you guys are using, those computers you are sitting in front of, my bet is 75% of them AT LEAST are made in China. Right ?? I know I wouldn't give up my iPhone XS Max for nothing, or my iPad or iMac... (all made in China). We Americans are a very prejudiced lot... It's a shame.

But back to the OP's dilemma, it SOUNDS like you really want a Gibson and yeah you should go try out a lot of them. A good place to try them and Ibanez models would be a Guitar Center if you have one near enough. It is worth the drive... They carry both brands. And do yourself a favor, try to find a store with a couple used AS200's. The snobs like me prefer the 80s models, the Terada versions had slightly skinnier necks, but the build quality on ALL of them is top flight. Something about the tone of the mahogany/maple/mahogany necks is very sweet...

Good luck deciding.

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    I would only consider swapping my 1980 AS200 (bought for 1700euros a couple of years ago) for an early 1960s 335. The early AS200s with first generation Super 58 pickups are exceptional. If cost is important an early AS200 offers very good value for money.
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 01-24-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks Greg. I appreciate the response!

Thanks Marwin. ES-335s are easy to find at local stores (I'm in Portland, OR), but not the AS200s. Even the online retailers are short handed of the AS200s. I know with Guitar Center I can always order one, try it out, and bring back within reasonable time for full refund. I'm not opposed to putting them through that As for the mojo effect, I completely get it. That's definitely influenced me a few times!

Yes, I've considered the Yamaha 2200 also. Seems very comparable to the Ibanez in price too and has a similar look, which I dig. Thanks medblues!

Hi David, thank you very much for the response and insight. Very helpful. Whatever I decide to purchase, I'll probably be back to ask some questions about pickups should the stock ones not be sufficient. Like I said, this is a new world for me... and an exciting one!

Thanks Gary, I really appreciate the response. I'm not stuck on the 335... it's just my initial reference point, due to seeing many rock guitar players use them. I keep getting drawn to the AS200 though, despite the fact that it doesn't have the "cred" in the rock guitar world that the 335 does. In fact, that might be one of the reasons. I own a few iconic classic rock guitars... Les Paul, SG, Flying V, Strat, Tele (and several "shredder" guitars)... the 335 would fit in well with the classics, but an AS200 would be something completely different, which has it's own appeal. I hope that makes sense.

Hi Marc, thanks for the response! My objective is not to learn jazz, but I'm sure I may get inspired That said, I may just have to break out the old Room 335 songbook and dig in. That's about as close as I can get LOL.

I own many solid body guitars, including the trifecta Les Paul, Strat, Tele... not to mention others from PRS, Suhr, Ibanez, Charvel, ESP, etc. ...I suppose you could say I'm adding another to the collection, but I do play all of my guitars, and a semi-hollow body is probably the most glaring missing piece of the puzzle. I considered buying something a little cheaper, but I know I will regret not spending a little more to have a quality instrument, such as a MIJ Ibanez or MIA Gibson.

Hey Big, thanks for the response!

I'm not set on a Gibson.. it was simply the first reference point for me since many rock guitar players have been known to play them. The AS200 actually has an allure to me that the Gibson doesn't... it's different, particularly in rock guitar circles where I hang. That said, I don't plan on playing Van Halen or Led Zeppelin on it. It will definitely be more for blues and/or Larry Carlton inspired stuff (did I mention I love his Room 335 album?). I hope that makes sense.

I live in the Portland, Oregon, area and we have a 3 Guitar Centers in town. Easy to find a 335 to try out, but not the AS200. In fact, the other big online retailers have them on back order (or special order only) too. Regardless, I posted a reply to someone else that I'm not opposed to ordering one via Guitar Center, trying out for a week, and then returning for a full refund if I'm not happy.

Hey Ray, thanks for the advice!!!

User Info Menu

Comparing a Gibson 335 to an almost bottom level Ibanez 75 as a metric for comparing brands is almost criminal.

I don't think anyone here did that. I am considering an Ibanez AS200. ....Ahhh, wait now I see it LOL

User Info Menu

AS200 specs:
    18 1/4" (body dimensions length), 43mm (width at nut), 15 3/4" (body dimensions width), 57mm (width at last fret), 2 5/8" (body dimensions max depth), 20mm (thickness at 1st), 22mm (thickness at 12th), Gold (hardware color), 305mmR (fretboard radius), Gotoh GE101A tailpiece.

User Info Menu

If you really want a 335 or AS200, you're all set. They are both great guitars.

I don't want to complicate things for you, but my advice is to be sure to check out the Heritage 535 as well. Truly excellent guitars in the 335 style, made in the same Kalamazoo factory by some of the old Gibson cats on the same old machines. You can get a used one on eBay or Reverb for under $1500 if you are patient. Which is pretty amazing for what it is.

Good luck in your quest!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    If you really want a 335 or AS200, you're all set. They are both great guitars.

I don't want to complicate things for you, but my advice is to be sure to check out the Heritage 535 as well. Truly excellent guitars in the 335 style, made in the same Kalamazoo factory by some of the old Gibson cats on the same old machines. You can get a used one on eBay or Reverb for under $1500 if you are patient. Which is pretty amazing for what it is.

Good luck in your quest!
    Heritage and Ibanez are my favorite brands for semi-hollow gits. I've owned a few (H535, H555, AS200, 2630, LR10, GB30 and JSM100). Never owned a Gibson ES335. Never needed one.

So we don't totally complicate things for the op, he should try whatever he can get his hands on.
    They all offer something special...just like each of us.

Enjoy the hunt!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan
    Comparing a Gibson 335 to an almost bottom level Ibanez 75 as a metric for comparing brands is almost criminal.
    I kind of miscommunicated my point. I did not mean it as a comparison of the two manufacturers as a whole (an absurd idea), but it's my only tangible way of comparing an Ibanez hollowbody to a Gibson ES (not 335, an ES-139 which is considerably less expensive) as it's the only of either that I do own and have lived with for a long time. All the Ibanez hollowbodies have heavily finished poly necks, which I find "stickier" to play than the nitro-finished gibson necks. I don't know if some of the perceived difference is mahogany vs maple.

Also, the "mojo" of Gibsons. I never wanted to admit it, but a Gibson was really what I wanted, 'cause that's what all my heroes play.

I did borrow a 1983 AS-200 for a while, and it was a great guitar. It felt pretty similar to my 90s Epiphone Sheraton, actually.