The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    That amp is the darkest sounding Fender I've ever owned, can't imagine using it stock with humbuckers, or I'd be looking at a speaker swap too, maybe a Jensen.
    I played a 100XL yesterday in a rehearsal room, with a humbucker archtop.

I just couldn't get the EQ right. It sounded annoyingly loud without cutting through properly.
    There was too much of some low mid frequency that sounded loud without hearing what notes were played.
    I was not successfull to filter it out with the available EQ knobs.

I was perhaps doing something wrong.
    I might have found a better setting if I'd been alone with it for a few minutes, but generally other musicians aren't that fond of it when guitarists spend much time fiddling with their knobs.
    One criterion for "A great amp" is that you can plug a good guitar directly into it and within seconds get a good usable tone, and I would definitely give this amp a failing mark on that criterion.

I can though imagine that single coil guitar, or just having an EQ pedal, might have worked much better.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri

I just couldn't get the EQ right. It sounded annoyingly loud without cutting through properly.
    There was too much of some low mid frequency that sounded loud without hearing what notes were played.

I might have found a better setting if I'd been alone with it for a few minutes, but generally other musicians aren't that fond of it when guitarists spend much time fiddling with their knobs.
    One criterion for "A great amp" is that you can plug a good guitar directly into it and within seconds get a good usable tone, and I would definitely give this amp a failing mark on that criterion.

I can though imagine that single coil guitar, or just having an EQ pedal, might have worked much better.
    Getting the amp off the floor helps with taming the bass response, as does tilting it back. Why all amp combos don't come with tilt-back systems is beyond me. Leo's best idea ever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri

With twice the power and two celestions compared to the 50XL, I'm not surprised at all.