The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

My '68 blonde tele has a pick guard that I think was done as a "custom" look by the original owner. Didn't mind it back in my rock and roll days, but that's "before the flood" now.

I've got flat 10's on it, would need a new nut/setup to go above that and next set of strings would like to.

But ... if I were to go out in public with it, not thinking this is the look I'd like.

What would be the proper look for a '68 natural blonde?

Also the original bridge pieces ... wondering if replacement would be an idea ....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I always liked a black pickguard on a natural Tele.

User Info Menu

I like white - try removing the paint first if you're thinking of replacing it anyway.

User Info Menu

I've rarely seen a stock '68 natural tele w/o a white pickguard.

User Info Menu

Assuming the guitar is indeed 1968 and guard came together with it (not a parts guitar)...

Id say its the other way round , and that the guard is original, wheras the body was customized. There where no blonde naturals in 1968. Moreover, your body looks like alder (?) not ash, also confirming it was a custom colored guitar

judging by your pickguard, the guitar originally was blue flower before it was sanded blank. See the attached image.

thats a very expensive instrument like 15,000 $ - 25,000 $ if it had left the paint on

that guard alone will sell for a lot too so I dont think it is good advice to sand it blank. A blue floral guard will sell on its own for a LOT of money

Proper Telecaster pick guard-bd2b7fb7-40b2-4494-9283-f5a722a8fbee-jpg
    Last edited by fws6; 01-20-2019 at 07:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    There where no blonde naturals in 1968
    Are the dozens of used natural 1968 telecasters available every week fake? Are the sellers all lying? Or, has the paint been stripped off all of them? You're making me curious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Are the dozens of used natural 1968 telecasters available every week fake? Are the sellers all lying? Or, has the paint been stripped off all of them? You're making me curious.
    Natural came in thinlines in 1968

on solids it was introduced in 1972

maybe you re mistaken with white blonde see thru, which was the most common color since the 50s and indeed always came with a white guard. But natural wood color (like the guitar above) didnt exist until the early seventies (and then first came with a black guard , reverting to white guard after the mid 70s)
    Last edited by fws6; 01-20-2019 at 06:49 AM.

User Info Menu

It’s lovely. I’d just buy a simple 1-ply, 8-hole aged white pickguard. You could complete the job on the pickguard you have and sand the blue away, but why bother when a new one is cheap? Callaham makes great ones. Or go with a black. Or both, and swap ‘em from time to time just for the heck of it. The natural hue of your tele lends itself well to both blackguard and whiteguard style.

As for the bridge: what’s wrong with it? Swapping saddles would of course be easy-peasy and open up the possibility to put brass and/or compensated saddles. But I would not do that unless there was a reason (intonation problems and/or a sound that’s too bright). Whatever you do, keep the original parts you swap out carefully stored away. A ’68 is a rather valuable tele, even if refinished and with a non-original / modded pickguard.
    Last edited by radiofm74; 01-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.

User Info Menu

>You could complete the job on the pickguard you have and sand the blue away

and loose $1000 or more in the process

>
    Whatever you do, keep the original parts you swap out carefully stored away

that is the best advise. Make mods to your liking but use fitting parts so that you dont have to sand or drill. Save the original parts. Any work you do on it will make it worth significantly less, if it cannot be reverted

User Info Menu

>You could complete the job on the pickguard you have and sand the blue away

and loose $1000 or more in the process
    1000$ seems a bit exaggerated (1968 Fender Telecaster Blue Floral Clear Plastic Pickguard Vintage Original | eBay )

But still you do have a point. I wrongly assumed that the pickguard had ALREADY been modded. Following your post I looked it up and realized it’s not the case – they were transparent pickguards that let you see through to the floral finish below.

My bad. So: buy a white and/or black pickguard and reverently store the original one away. Or if you like the look, have the body refinished in blue floral

PS: according to this (closed) Reverb AD, it was a common thing for the blue floral finish to come off, which would explain why your tele started life as blue floral and ended up natural: Real Fender Telecaster 1968 Blue Floral Body & Pickguard | Reverb

User Info Menu

Okay youre right - so my bad. The 399 on ebay looks like a long time ago though. Id guess it would be more now, but maybe not 1000.

User Info Menu

Okay youre right - so my bad. The 399 on ebay looks like a long time ago though. Id guess it would be more now, but maybe not 1000.
    I guess the main point is the one you made: it would be incredibly stupid to sand down that pickguard as I contemplated in my post.

I posted the ebay thing just so our OP doesn’t get too excited about his 1000$ pickguard

User Info Menu

Fascinating, as ... the finish especially sanding quality is bit uneven, I'd wondered why someone might have already tried to give it a matte or satin finish anyway ... that the pick guard is more original than the rest is a tickler.

User Info Menu

I would go with a cream pickguard. and if the original floral was a clear pickguard yours dosnt look clear

User Info Menu

Perhaps an odd choice, but my nicely yellowed natural tele wears a green guard. I like it.

Proper Telecaster pick guard-image_zps947eef1a-jpg

Of course, that might only work if your guitar is the Golden Dragon

Proper Telecaster pick guard-20190120_132419-01-jpg
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 01-20-2019 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have a thick 5 hole black pick guard with beveled edges on my Tele, but it probably isn't authentic to a '68 if that is what the OP is after. Relatively inexpensive from Warmoth IIRC.

User Info Menu

There are endless wood ones out there if you are going to take the original off. Why not find something to enhance the look in a more subdued and understated way (unless you like white plastic, which is also a classic and a fine choice)?

User Info Menu

Dismantled that Tele.

In the controls slot, neck slot, and both pickup routs there is blue over-spray paint.

The back of the pickguard is a smooth cream, this is a "manufacturer" type job not some kid playing around.

As you can see, neck is stamped "3 DEC68B", and the 4-screw neck mounting plate's number is listed on a couple different fender lists as a 1968.

This git started out blue, was re-finished to "natural" sometime before the spring of '76 when I got it.

I was working fill-in for a guitar shop I'd worked for, took it and an amp in trade from a kid who wanted a different kit. Shop's "investment" in the Tele was $225 ... great deal for the shop. Owner was bragging about the quality of the Tele for the price he'd paid to a supplier.

I just said yea, that's a sweet guitar. He said gee, I could have it for what he had in it and went on talking to the guy.

Next morning I showed up with $225 in cash. Will about turned green, just sat with head in hands.

"I know what I said, but ... you're not going to do this to me, are you?"

Yup. He honored his comment. Hands shaking as he took the money.

He'd hired me full time the preceding September as he was about to become a Fender dealer. Then CBS backed off all in-house floating of lines for new dealerships and terminated the deal. He couldn't get $30G in a week from the bank ... so four weeks after I'd left college to work for him ... I was dropped.

And worked fill for him for a year when he had need and I had time. And had no trouble whatsoever taking that Tele. Ha.

User Info Menu

Here's the pics ...

User Info Menu

I don't like natural finishes on wood at all. I got this 1976 Les Paul that had the finish removed. I don't what drives people to do these things to guitars. But I duplicated the original finish the best I could based on the color patch left around the serial number.

Proper Telecaster pick guard-1976-les-paul-custom-restoration-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rNeil
    Dismantled that Tele.

In the controls slot, neck slot, and both pickup routs there is blue over-spray paint.

The back of the pickguard is a smooth cream, this is a "manufacturer" type job not some kid playing around.

As you can see, neck is stamped "3 DEC68B", and the 4-screw neck mounting plate's number is listed on a couple different fender lists as a 1968.

This git started out blue, was re-finished to "natural" sometime before the spring of '76 when I got it.

the blue floral Teles in 1968 still had the diagonal route in between the pickup cavities. (The 69s dont). That was taped over. Only the blie flower and red paisley guitars have that tape there. Then the blue flower wallpaper was glued on. Then the edges were sprayed blue around. Your guitar still has the tape over the route and the blue paint left over on the pocket. Maybe the guard is a bit opaque because they were afraid that that diagonal channel would show through.

anyway the blue paint and the tape, the pickguard, and the alder body, all thats 100% proof your guitar was the blue floral originally.

User Info Menu

What a great guitarcheology thread this has become
    Well, tell us what you’re going to do with that tele and please post pics of the final result!
    I’d just leave it as it is, buy a new pickguard while keeping the original, and play it a LOT. I’m sure it’s a great player, and it has a fascinating history!

User Info Menu

the blue floral Teles in 1968 still had the diagonal route in between the pickup cavities. (The 69s dont). That was taped over. Only the blie flower and red paisley guitars have that tape there. Then the blue flower wallpaper was glued on. Then the edges were sprayed blue around. Your guitar still has the tape over the route and the blue paint left over on the pocket. Maybe the guard is a bit opaque because they were afraid that that diagonal channel would show through.

anyway the blue paint and the tape, the pickguard, and the alder body, all thats 100% proof your guitar was the blue floral originally.
    Thanks so much. Love the expertise here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    What a great guitarcheology thread this has become
    Well, tell us what you’re going to do with that tele and please post pics of the final result!
    I’d just leave it as it is, buy a new pickguard while keeping the original, and play it a LOT. I’m sure it’s a great player, and it has a fascinating history!
    Yea, right?

Guess I'll just leave it as-is. Still not loving the guard, but it sure makes for a great story to tell.