Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp help need

Amps Amp help need

Hi, I want a second amp (small, portable and solid state) I have an old, good and reliable Laney VC 15 1x10" Jensen spk tube amp but I need something small and not fragile for my duo gigs

my current options are

used CUBE 60 /80 / 40xl? ($$)

New DV mark micro jazz with a 12¨cabinet ($$$)

Ibanez Promethean 3110 (I know it s a bass amp)

Pros/cons

I already had a cube 60 (1st gen) and I sold it (stupidity) I love it but I dont like the amp simulations
    the DV it´s very expensive here but I would try to import here
    I tried the promethean 20 and it sounds good but I dont know the 3110 (the eq´s are not the same)

Please help!

Thanks in advance

The only amp on your list that I have played through is the DV Mark Little Jazz. I like mine a lot. It's small, light, and sounds as good as any amp I've ever heard. It's not expensive, comparatively speaking, but I don't know what it might cost wherever you are.

The Cubes have a clean channel that is along the lines of the old orange Cubes and the JC amp series. You don't have to use the sims. That said, I use the Tweed sim on my Cube 60 very happily for jazz. The trick to a clean tone is to keep the gain down and raise the master volume. I find it warmer than the clean channel. IMHO the Cubes are very flexible, very reliable and a good option that is often overlooked. No longer made, the used market is your best bet. US prices are around $200 used in excellent condition for a Cube 60; I have no idea at all about costs out of the US.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

I just got the DV Little Jazz.

I'm very happy with it.

I don't think it's the best amp I ever heard, but it's very good, only 15 lbs, small, and less expensive than some alternatives.

I am another that would recommend the DV Mark Little Jazz. While I have no experience with the other amps, I have owned the LJ for over a year. At home or in medium sized venue it excels. I only paid $300 after a 25% off GC coupon for mine and it was a bargain.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

I'm surprised you think your Laney is fragile and too big.
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

Thanks for the replies!
    No, the Laney it's great It had problems with the preamp section and the Reverb has died (I fix those problems with my amp tech) but I want something more workhorse and more cheap mainteinance.
    The DV LJ costs 1200 dollars here and a used Cube about 500 dollars

GC sells the Little Jazz in the US for about $350.

Just curious, why is it so much more expensive for you?

Here we have the highest taxes and the smartest businessmen, dangerous cocktail

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto View Post
    Here we have the highest taxes and the smartest businessmen, dangerous cocktail
    May I ask, which country?

And, what would happen if you called Guitar Center and ordered one? How does the tax enter into the transaction?

Argentina, If I order one from GC I will have to pay fifty percent import duties plus shipping

Are Orange amplifiers available in Argentina? I have been looking at reviews for the 20RT (8" spkr) and 35RT (10"spkr) What I have heard of the clean tones so far sounds very good.

Argentina, If I order one from GC I will have to pay fifty percent import duties plus shipping
    Looks like that would put a Little Jazz at about $800 US for you, more or less. And,that's if it arrives in perfect condition. Too much money, too big a gamble, I think.

From Argentina, I would think you would be better ordering direct from DV Mark, but I doubt it would make a huge difference in the price, because of the high import tax. You might have to try to find whatever is available there, used.

Vacation in the US, some Guitar Center tourism, and bring an extra empty suitcase?
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

If it is easier/affordable to have an external cab purchased or built in Argentina, consider buying a head only amp: the forum has liked DV Mark, Gallien Krueger MB200, Carvin BX250 etc. It may decrease damage probability and save money off customs and shipping and help your local techs.
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Vacation in the US, some Guitar Center tourism, and bring an extra empty suitcase?
    Ha ha ha thats a great idea! And a spare Guitar tío

@medblues i thought in that idea, maybe a bass head like trace elliot Elf, ibanez promethean, etc what do you Think ?

Ha ha ha thats a great idea! And a spare Guitar tío

@medblues i thought in that idea, maybe a bass head like trace elliot Elf, ibanez promethean, etc what do you Think ?
    I have two bass heads GK MB200 and Carvin BX250 and I like them. If you want reverb on board, bass heads usually lack that. Then your best bet is the DV Mark series , Quilter heads, Hotone Floor amps, BluAmp AMP1 (expensive !), or Yamaha THR100 (expensive!).
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed