The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Got my Gibson L-5 yesterday. It is a 1992. I finally had a chance to play it this morning and now I understand when people say "If you want the jazz tone you hear from some of your favorite records, get an L-5". To me, the sound I get from the L-5 is exactly what I think of when I think jazz guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a fine guitar & welcome to the club ;-)!
    Great, it looks totally mint.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 01-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't know how to improve on the L-5 sound. Consider that the design has been around forever and successfully bridged into electrification.

There are other similar archtops that also sound good, but I don't believe they sound better. Some simply fall flat in comparison.

L-5 remains king of that niche.

User Info Menu

Happy NGD, lookin' good!

User Info Menu

I found a way to improve the sound I got from my L5ces. I turn the volume up!

User Info Menu

A classic! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats! For those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't, no explanation is possible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats! For those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't, no explanation is possible.
    Amen to that. People that say the L5 isn’t the best jazz guitar do not own one.....Congrats !

User Info Menu

My 1st electric was an ES-175.
    A few yrs later I bought an L-5.
    It was like going from a Chevy to a Rolls, just so much more solid and luxurious feeling.
    I've had many since, but never forget getting the 1st one.
    Sold the 175 to Jimmy Bruno (that was a loooong time ago )
    congrats and welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

Wow, that is pretty Play her in health!

User Info Menu

When I received my L5ces last year, the only thing I could think of was that image used in the Bible, "a gold ring in a pig's nose." (Prov 11:22). Many players could do this guitar much more justice than I do, and must settle for far less.

User Info Menu

I mean, the L5 has got to be literally, THE jazz guitar. Like you look up "jazz guitar" in the encyclopedia, and there's a picture on an L5.

User Info Menu

L5 are great guitars indeed. Congrats

User Info Menu

Hey, geese. You have arrived.

Owing to my eccentricities, all of my archtops are "L5-ish." I mean, I have a guitar made by Aaron Cowles--who used to carve L-5s, Super-400s, Kalamazoo Awards, and Citations at Gibson. I have a Heritage Super Eagle. I even have a Matsumoku copy of an L-5 (Super-V, actually). All three archtops have some L-5 DNA. Even my '38 Gibson L-50 is a stripped down, less ornate version of the 16" L-5.

For sure, though, it's the L-5CES that sits at the top of the jazz guitar pyramid. D'Angelico, Epiphone, Stromberg, and the rest were all aiming at the L-5 when they began producing archtop designs. And, as MG said, Gibson best made the shift into electrification when they devised the L-5CES. "The Sound" of jazz guitar.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

That is The stuff right there. Wish I could afford one. But for now I have a copy.

User Info Menu

The L5CES...often imitated but never surpassed. What's the secret Gibson sauce? I don't know. Only a Gibson L5CES sounds like an L5CES. It is the way all the parts come together in the Gibson Custom Shop. Beats me.

Congrats, geese. I have the L5 Wes Montgomery which is a little different to the L5CES.

User Info Menu

Geese,
    Congrats on the L5 ! When it comes to electric Archtops - this is standard from which all others are judged.

The warm throaty Gibson signature sound is so appealing - and on countless Jazz recording.

User Info Menu

I'm a believer! Say Halaluya! Amen! And all that Jazz. Although, Joe Pass drove that Chevy pretty well. He and a bunch of my other favorite players. But I get your drift Wintermoon. My 175s get very little mileage these days and stay parked in the garage, ever since my L7 and L5 pulled into the lot!

Congratulations Geese! That's a beauty. Love those L5s. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Well, it's no tele but I'm sure it sounds swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan
    Well, it's no tele but I'm sure it sounds swell.
    I've got one of those too =)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I'm a believer! Say Halaluya! Amen! And all that Jazz. Although, Joe Pass drove that Chevy pretty well. He and a bunch of my other favorite players. But I get your drift Wintermoon. My 175s get very little mileage these days and stay parked in the garage, ever since my L7 and L5 pulled into the lot!

Congratulations Geese! That's a beauty. Love those L5s. Enjoy!
    Actually this has always fascinated me: Joe Pass almost never played (that I recall) a guitar with a 25.5" scale. He loved those 24.75" scaled guitars, which usually put him in the 16" instrument category. I am certain he could handled the longer scale perfectly well, but he must have preferred the 175 style instrument.

While the L5 is the King of Jazz Guitars, I'd say the ES175 is the Prime Minister. They actually do the work of governing...

User Info Menu

Lawson, I respectfully disagree. That’s not true. You are a fine player. Don’t slight yourself.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    When I received my L5ces last year, the only thing I could think of was that image used in the Bible, "a gold ring in a pig's nose." (Prov 11:22). Many players could do this guitar much more justice than I do, and must settle for far less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Lawson, I respectfully disagree. That’s not true. You are a fine player. Don’t slight yourself.
    Joe D
    Coming from you, Joe, that carries a lot of authority. Thank you. I still feel unworthy of the fine instruments I've been privileged to have move in with me.

User Info Menu

Lawson body size has a lot to do with it. Joe Pass was a short little guy so the 175 fit him well as does the Super 400 fit Kenny Burrell well as he is a big tall cat.

A lot of people say we pay big bucks for just that G logo but that is not it at all. Only a Gibson sounds like a Gibson and if you want the Gibson sound you must pay the price tag for it. The sticker shock fades almost immediately after a song or two.

User Info Menu

You have a beautiful guitar there. Congratulations and lots of luck with it. Good times ahead for goose, no doubt.
    The L5 Gibson is the original. It set the standard in the 20’s and it still stands firm almost 100 years later.
    The L5 will be the other guitar I will have. It’s nice to know, your guitar will never be the reason you can’t be a great player. It is pure unadulterated Jazz sound. The specifications are perfect for most players. It will take anything you can give it.
    Enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D