The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Lawson body size has a lot to do with it. Joe Pass was a short little guy so the 175 fit him well as does the Super 400 fit Kenny Burrell well as he is a big tall cat.
    Maybe so. But there are many dimensions. Many yet to be explored, and some have already been. That's the beauty of the Archtop guitar, and of Jazz!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Our buddy Rhoadscholar is a big dude. I remember when I sold him a 175 I was watching him play it and it looked like he was playing a Les Paul. I am 6ft and he towers over me. Great guy.....hey Bob where have you been pal ?

User Info Menu

That's a fair point. The principle has exceptions.

Gibson L-5 - Now I Understand-tiny-tim-jpgGibson L-5 - Now I Understand-kaki-king-shell-pose-jpg

Lawson body size has a lot to do with it. Joe Pass was a short little guy so the 175 fit him well as does the Super 400 fit Kenny Burrell well as he is a big tall cat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Actually this has always fascinated me: Joe Pass almost never played (that I recall) a guitar with a 25.5" scale. He loved those 24.75" scaled guitars, which usually put him in the 16" instrument category. I am certain he could handled the longer scale perfectly well, but he must have preferred the 175 style instrument.

While the L5 is the King of Jazz Guitars, I'd say the ES175 is the Prime Minister. They actually do the work of governing...
    Actually, the Ibanez JP-20 has a 25.5” scale. That seems unusual for a 16” archtop, and I’m not really convinced that the long scale was Joe’s idea. Having said that, he did play that guitar for a long time before returning to the ES-175.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Actually, the Ibanez JP-20 has a 25.5” scale. That seems unusual for a 16” archtop...
    Keith
    That's why I love my L-5 Signatures--15.5" body with 25.5" scale. Someone once told me he had had a Borys B120 with that scale instead of the usual 24.75" for that model. If mine had had the longer scale I'd probably still own them.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I think if Gibson ever manages to get back into business and making guitars again since that seems like a bit touchy, they should give all the forum memebers a discount special. We do more for the L5 business than any thing I bet for sure.

The L5 is basically the standard............you bought the real deal and not a template. While I prefer the Super 400 due to the 18inch it is the other Standard. You could not have done better play that guitar and frets right down to the ebony fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Serious topic drift, I apologize to the OP who just wanted to celebrate the arrival of his new wonderful guitar!

I suspect that the JP20 was mostly designed by Maurice Summerfield:

The Eclectic Collector: 1983 Ibanez Joe Pass JP20 - GuitarPlayer.com

Getting back the the important topic at hand: geese, congratulations! That's a beautiful instrument and from the sounds of it will be inspiring you for years to come.

Hello Vinny (thanks again for hooking me up with that great 175). I would also like to say hello to the Jazzguitar.be gang. I am Alive and well but had a good scare. Complications from surgery but lived to tell about it. I am a giant of a person. Whenever I play a les paul, folks say it looks like a ukulele on me). In my avatar I am playing an American Eagle (now owned by big Mike). I can handle the size difference but still love the smaller body sizes. I really like the shape of the 175 and the size.

I have a Heritage Golden Eagle Wes Mo Style (single mounted pickup, parallel bracing) whenever I want to tickle that L5 itch.

My favorite though is this custom Heritage 555 with a 25 1/2 inch scale and 3 inch body depth (built for Toty Viola with input from George Benson).

Haven't done a side by side comparison but I bet its sound would be quite similar to a Tal Farlow (played them at different times).

I don't know why it never caught on (as the Gibson 150 in the 70's) as a mainstay.
    Other than Heritage's brief run, I don't know of anyone who make something like this.
    If it is good enough for George, it is good enough for me

Gibson L-5 - Now I Understand-p54-jpgGibson L-5 - Now I Understand-p39-jpgGibson L-5 - Now I Understand-p5-jpg

Our buddy Rhoadscholar is a big dude. I remember when I sold him a 175 I was watching him play it and it looked like he was playing a Les Paul. I am 6ft and he towers over me. Great guy.....hey Bob where have you been pal ?
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-5 - Now I Understand-p9-jpg 

User Info Menu

L5CES, in SUNBURST no less - King of the hill! Congrat's, she's a beauty!

User Info Menu

Very nice, congrats ....

I remember bringing my first L5 home about 8 years ago and saying ... "How come I didn't get one of these years ago!"

User Info Menu

I wanted to buy one in 1971, a dealer was discounting them by 30-40 %. It would have cost about $800 + or - . That was a lot o money at the time, but since I was playing 5 or 6 nites a week, I seriously considered it. Shoulda done it, but then I needed a good amp at the same time, so the Twin Reverb purchase caused a cessation, bought a ES150 instead. Shoulda bought the L5!

Now I have a Tobacco-burst L5, looks very much like Geese's. I love mine, hope you love yours.

Beautiful! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

I just realized how little time I've had for posting here since I got my L-5CES in early December. Much playing time, though

User Info Menu

Bob......hope you are OK ? I will put you on my prayer list my friend.

User Info Menu

Love my L5. There are many guitars I have found to be inspiring but there is something about the L5 that makes you you feel like you're in the line of the great tradition of bop and post bop. I'll take any year as long as the neck is straight....many Gibsons suffer from not having enough truss rod action and thus live with a perpetual bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-5 - Now I Understand-img_6420-jpg