The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 179

User Info Menu

Oh, by the way,

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-13512225_890253447785226_2357086067960210200_n-jpg

Reproduction ebony bases with MoP bowties. Just saying....contact Walkin Shibuya JP.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr

Not sure I see the Slaman connection in this thread. So only Slaman can copy the above guitar with a blade pickup he does not even make himself?
    VS

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-20150111_130852-jpg

Pat Metheny's Slaman Sister 1.

You tell me if Slaman copied Ibanez's PM for his Sister 1 or Ibanez copied Slaman's Sister 1 for their Ibanez PM Slaman CC? The shape is more Slaman than the Ibanez's PM. And what did Daniel draw upon for the Sister 1? The 1923 Gibson L5.

Daniel Slaman made or had a 6-pole adjustable CC made according to his re-design of the CC Blade. So, he had involvement in that pickup. The pickup itself is the not the issue. It is the whole package.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

In fairness to Ibanez, they have had a very long and mutually beneficial relationship with Pat Metheny (as they have with Scofield, Vai, and Satriani) and one in which they have invested substantial money and resources. Assuming that Metheny wants to continue that relationship, then Ibanez has a right to continue to reap what they see as they justified return on their investment. Slaman is a lesser (and MUCH later) investor in the Metheny guitar business and has already has already reaped substantial benefit from their involvement. I don't think Ibanez owe them anything as long as their contracts with Metheny remain intact.

User Info Menu

For me it would also matter to what extent Daniel Slamans model was based on PM's ideas. If it is him who came up with the basic design ideas it feels okay that he passes his preferences onto Ibanez. I remember another PM (my personal favorite) moving his "custom design" from Gibson to Benedetto which got acknowledged without any criticism at all.
    just my 2cents .....

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

Metheny gives some insight into his thoughts about CC guitars in this article, including some on how the Slaman guitar came about. My reading is that it does away with some of the conclusions jumped to in this thread about how he and Ibanez are doing Slaman wrong somehow.

I'd love to have a Slaman, but more realistically I'd love to have a production archtop guitar with a CC pickup that's easily available. If Metheny can convince a major manufacturer to put one on the market, then my hat is off to him. I don't really know who else is better positioned (or inclined) to get an instrument like that out to the mainstream market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    You will have to visit Walkin's FB page. It is buried in the posts of 2017 to 2018 where their work to develop their own CC is laid out.

Attachment 59083

ok, i'm afraid there's your answer...they are not true vintage spec cc pups..they just have the 3 screw plate for cosmetic purposes..to look like a vintage!!!...absolutely no reason for it other than to fake the look of the original...from the outside of the guitar i.e. the 3 screws

but a true vintage has two huge flat magnets...which is fundamental to the tone of the original cc...

seymour duncan makes an accurate cc, as well as cc pickups uk

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Pat Metheny will certainly appear in ads holding one.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has watched PM play the absolute hell out of his Ibanez live many times. I think that like GB, the PM Ibanez thing was a genuine endorsement for a working guitar.

I've actually been a little surprised with the PM-Slaman thing, and I'm curious about what he might be chasing, if there was a slug of new (electric) material that he did with new instruments that really sounded different I would actually be less surprised.

As others have pointed out, not much new under the sun when it comes to archtops. Hand-crafted execution is always worth patronizing but Gibson was always a factory and most of the icons of recorded music were recorded with factory instruments.

User Info Menu

This whole thread is speculation based on a single photograph of not very good quality and little else.

What Metheny's probably chasing is being able to perform and tour with guitars with the vibe of his own vintage CC guitar(s), including one formerly owned by Les Paul and possibly Charlie Christian before him, and also other vintage CC guitars that he liked very very much.

Guitar for Pat Metheny - New Vintage Guitars

Guitar for Pat Metheny - New Vintage Guitars

Pat Metheny | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

As for the points raised by Jim S., I have to potentially disagree. Whatever agreements Metheny has with Ibanez do not give Ibanez ownership of designs by Daniel Slaman just because Pat bought a guitar from him. The Slaman designs are part of the transaction between PM and him, outside of PM's deal with Ibanez. Indeed, there are national and international laws about this stuff. Now, I have no idea if there is any actual design infringement by Ibanez on Slaman's work- that would be the rub. Just because something resembles something else (a 16" blonde archtop with a CC pickup, for example) does not neccesarily mean there is infringement in the legal sense. Possibly in the ethical sense, but I've never had the impression that Pat is an unethical guy.

The moral sense of the situation ends up being left to individuals. Morals are neither as universal or as immutable as we like to pretend.

User Info Menu

Maybe Pat actually asked Ibanez to make the new PM model with the CC pickup and super 400 tailpiece.

User Info Menu

So, a small builder makes a design tweaking aspects of former arch top designs, then a big manufacturer does the same based on the small builder's design and/or the same sources as him, but it's OK for the former to do so but not the latter?

The internet is weird sometimes

User Info Menu

No speculation here.

But Ibanez has a policy regarding their artists playing other manufacturers guitars and particularly getting photos of them playing them live. In the recording studio tracking, it wouldn't matter. But live would be another story...
    Last edited by DS71; 01-13-2019 at 06:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ok, i'm afraid there's your answer...they are not true vintage spec cc pups..they just have the 3 screw plate for cosmetic purposes..to look like a vintage!!!...absolutely no reason for it other than to fake the look of the original...from the outside of the guitar i.e. the 3 screws

but a true vintage has two huge flat magnets...which is fundamental to the tone of the original cc...

seymour duncan makes an accurate cc, as well as cc pickups uk

cheers
    A Japanese high-end builder makes a design tweaking the original vintage model with new materials and succeeds in getting as close as one could get to the vintage sound. But then it is dismissed as being fake because "a true vintage has two huge flat magnets...which is fundamental to the tone of the original cc"

The world is full of opinions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    A Japanese high-end builder makes a design tweaking the original vintage model with new materials and succeeds in getting as close as one could get to the vintage sound.
    Any facts about that ? I'm interested since, as for now, nothing is getting really close to a CC unit except the ones built by CC PU UK. I've tried the ones from Jason Lollar, Pete Biltoft, both floating unit and humbucker-sized. They are very good mic' but not exactly like CC PU.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I have tried the Archtop Tribute models ATC350 BK and ATC150 CC at two occasions. Both times I was highly impressed by the vintage sound of the pickup. In November when I was at Walkin' in Tokyo again to pick up my own guitar I almost regretted I hadn't decided for the ATC150 CC. Not really facts, of course. You might already have noticed this YouTube video:

My best advice would be to get in touch with Masaki at Walkin' who developed them and can inform you about the qualities of the pickup better than I will ever be able to. He is an honest guy and very proud of his achievements.

The two ATC models are fabulous guitars, in fact Westville guitars too. Here is a less easy to find link to both ATC models on the Westville website.
    Archtop Tribute — Westville Guitars

User Info Menu

I have tried the Archtop Tribute models ATC350 BK and ATC150 CC at two occasions. Both times I was highly impressed by the vintage sound of the pickup. In November when I was at Walkin' in Tokyo again to pick up my own guitar I almost regretted I hadn't decided for the ATC150 CC. Not really facts, of course. You might already have noticed this YouTube video:

My best advice would be to get in touch with Masaki at Walkin' who developed them and can inform you about the qualities of the pickup better than I will ever be able to. He is an honest guy and very proud of his achievements.

The two ATC models are fabulous guitars, in fact Westville guitars too. Here is a less easy to find link to both ATC models on the Westville website.
    Thank you very much for all these valuable information !

User Info Menu

Hi Stevus,
    Did you happen to have a chance to check out the Westville Aruba & Grande models? I notice that they are now available on Reverb along with various Archtop Tribute models.

Westville Grande: 17" Carved Spruce top

Westville Aruba: 16" Laminated

User Info Menu

Earlier I have seen and tried the prototype of the West Grande (still available on the Walkin' website). If you like that typical Kenny Burrell sound then the Grande may be the guitar for you. I am a great fan of Kenny Burrell so I liked it a lot. However, 17" is not comfortable for me to play so I went for a 15".

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I had the opportunity to try a prototype of the Westville Aruba Unity made for PM with a spruce top. It is a matter of taste, of course, and where, what and how you play, but I liked that one more than the model with the maple top. In videos of Jesse van Ruller one can hear that the sound is quite dry. The Westville Aruba with the spruce top will only be available as a production model in the course of this year. I inquired earlier if I already could get one but that was not possible.

User Info Menu

Earlier I have seen and tried the prototype of the West Grande (still available on the Walkin' website). If you like that typical Kenny Burrell sound then the Grande may be the guitar for you. I am a great fan of Kenny Burrell so I liked it a lot. However, 17" is not comfortable for me to play so I went for a 15".

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I had the opportunity to try a prototype of the Westville Aruba Unity made for PM with a spruce top. It is a matter of taste, of course, and where, what and how you play, but I liked that one more than the model with the maple top. In videos of Jesse van Ruller one can hear that the sound is quite dry. The Westville Aruba with the spruce top will only be available as a production model in the course of this year. I inquired earlier if I already could get one but that was not possible.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll keep my eyes open for the Spruce top Aruba later in the year, but I'd also be happy with the Grande!

User Info Menu

Do you know if this model has a Mahogany neck and 22 frets? Just wondered, because Metheny signature guitars always had 22 frets and Mahogany necks (if I remember correctly), and I personally always want a Mahogany neck in a set-neck guitar (although I'd most certainly would fail a blindfold test ).

User Info Menu

A Japanese high-end builder makes a design tweaking the original vintage model with new materials and succeeds in getting as close as one could get to the vintage sound. But then it is dismissed as being fake because "a true vintage has two huge flat magnets...which is fundamental to the tone of the original cc"

The world is full of opinions
    yeah and i'm afraid i'll side with the opinion of barney kessel, seymour duncan, ccpickups uk and daniel slaman over yours!!

why do they bother to have the superfluous 3 screw mount then?? because they want it to look like a cc from the outside!!!...they want it to look like something it actually is not...are their p-90's, strat pickups under a dogear P-90 cover??

the only reason why a pickup makes a sound is because of the magnet/s...you bet the material type , size and gauss make a difference!!! it's a science, not wishful thinking

cheers

ps- & i was just answering lawson-stones query with jabs supplied pic/evidence..frankly i could care less what they do..but let the buyer beware, that there are guys taking the time and effort and money to build the real thing & and those that aren't.. but still want to appear that way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah and i'm afraid i'll side with the opinion of barney kessel, seymour duncan, ccpickups uk and daniel slaman over yours!!

why do they bother to have the superfluous 3 screw mount then?? because they want it to look like a cc from the outside!!!...they want it to look like something it actually is not...are their p-90's, strat pickups under a dogear P-90 cover??

the only reason why a pickup makes a sound is because of the magnet/s...you bet the material type , size and gauss make a difference!!! it's a science, not wishful thinking

cheers

ps- & i was just answering lawson-stones query with jabs supplied pic/evidence..frankly i could care less what they do..but let the buyer beware, that there are guys taking the time and effort and money to build the real thing & and those that aren't.. but still want to appear that way...
    Good questions, but no reason to get upset. This MIJ CC pickup is also a magnet. I wouldn't consider it as a cheap fake. An up-price of 35.000 JPY (about 325 USD/280 EUR) above the price of a KA handwound pickup may indicate that.

Personally I cannot bother so much whether or not screws in the top plate, as long as the sound is right. But as you know, some people do bother. Just like some people want their guitar look and sound exactly like a particular Gibson model, of course at a lower price. Such people would miss the screws even if these wouldn't be necessary. It's not my position, but I can understand that, also from a builder's perspective.

Just like you I believe in the scientific approach. But then instead of criticizing, why not following this up in a more positive way? It seems to me you know a lot about CC pickups. I guess everyone here would benefit if you could find out for us what exactly Masaki at Walkin’ is doing differently from the examples you gave. And in case your initial critical opinions are correct then this is also good to know. Isn’t such an approach more fruitful than just sharing and discussing opinions about opinions, about gear we haven’t seen or tried? What do you think?

Edit: you will find the same pickup on the Westville Aruba Crest and on the Archtop Tribute ATC350 BK. The latter has the three screws, as it is intended to look exactly like the Barney Kessel guitar. Apparently Masaki developed his own version of the CC. I don't see that as a problem, as long as it sounds right.
    Last edited by stevus; 01-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Having heard Pat play his Slaman in a band situation, I can say that I wish he'd just keep using his humbucker Ibanez. I love Pat, but I think he's getting more out of the Slaman than his audience. Not saying it's not a great guitar, just that it doesn't seem to me to be the best tool for the job he's using it for.

User Info Menu

I will say that Pat's tone with a CC style pickup is NOT what I've heard every other player sound like with a CC pickup!

I also need to remind myself occasionally that the Pat sound I love and associate with his playing so readily--the shimmer-y "two delays causing a chorusing effect" tone...yeah...he hasn't really used that in over 20 years, and it's time I got over it.

User Info Menu

looks interesting the ibanez pm cc

i wonder who’ll make the pu itself ?
    ibanez or someone else (uk cc pickups?)

User Info Menu

any news on this?