The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 179

User Info Menu

Found this on the net (not my caption, don't mind it). Sure looks like Ibanez is trying to keep Metheny playing Ibanez guitars, and might be working on a guitar based off of Pat's Slaman? Anyone seen anything about this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s a shame that Ibanez tries to copy Slaman’s design.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Slaman's design is so original! :P

User Info Menu

Yeah let's not get too upset that Ibanez also is paying tribute to that old Gibson model. I'd be game to try one of these out...

Big

User Info Menu

Slaman’s PM Sister guitar is not an ES-250 clone. It’s 16” not 17”, and has a Venetian cutaway as opposed to no cutaway. Plus the inlays are picture frame like a 1930s L-7 vs. the 250’s bow ties.

It’s a mix of Gibson attributes obviously, but it’s not an ES-250.

User Info Menu

There are also other MIJ CC choices to ponder:
    Westville Aruba Crest

Archtop tribute ATC350BK (Barney Kessel Tribute

User Info Menu

No trace of miccrophone on this caption.

How can we guess which type of mic' will be installed ? Not necessarily a CC...

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Slaman’s PM Sister guitar is not an ES-250 clone. It’s 16” not 17”, and has a Venetian cutaway as opposed to no cutaway. Plus the inlays are picture frame like a 1930s L-7 vs. the 250’s bow ties.

It’s a mix of Gibson attributes obviously, but it’s not an ES-250.
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop

Cheers
    Good point. From the picture the routing looks wider and more slim than a typical humbucker. Pure speculation of course. I'm just assuming, from the tailpiece, that they're working on a "Slaman"

User Info Menu

I think a Metheny CC model would be pretty welcome by a lot of people. . .depending on the price point.

I'd be very curious what they would come up with, I can't think of too many Ibanez single-coil pickups, even P-90 style, maybe back in the clone era?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Good point. From the picture the routing looks wider and more slim than a typical humbucker. Pure speculation of course. I'm just assuming, from the tailpiece, that they're working on a "Slaman"
    That's a good guess !

User Info Menu

I think that everything that can be designed in a practical platform has already been made. No cut, single cut, double cut, Venetian, Florentine, 12-19", thinline, long scale, short scale, hollow, semi-hollow, "F" hole, cats eye, diamond, markers, no markers. So who's copying? Splain' me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop

Cheers

There are three holes in the top for the CC adjustment screws so ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    There are three holes in the top for the CC adjustment screws so ....
    Whoa! Good Eyes!

User Info Menu

It is rubbing me the wrong way, mates. Ibanez did this once before with Joe Pass's D'Aquisto and lore has it that Jimmy wasn't pleased that Ibanez didn't so much as ask him.

Pat Metheny plays Linda Manzer guitars onstage without a nod towards Ibanez. Why not allow him to continue to play his Daniel Slaman? Does Daniel have any say in this? Did Pat and Ibanez ask Daniel if it is all right by him? Is Daniel getting any emolument from the sales?

Daniel isn't exactly rolling in guilders. It just strikes me as wrong. OK, you may argue that Daniel was in turn riffing off Gibson. But Gibson never made a guitar like this in recent memory and Daniel single-handedly made the CC Blade current again. The 16" Slaman Sister is his own re-imagining of Gibson. I don't have a problem with the Archtop Tribute guys doing the ES-150, ES-350BK and the Westville Aruba Crest is a unique design. Gibson have sort of abandoned these models. But Daniel, mates...this is like his bread and butter. And he is a one-man shop. This is not a re-imagining but a ripoff. I hope Pat Metheny and Ibanez do right by him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It is rubbing me the wrong way, mates. Ibanez did this once before with Joe Pass's D'Aquisto and lore has it that Jimmy wasn't pleased that Ibanez didn't so much as ask him.

Pat Metheny plays Linda Manzer guitars onstage without a nod towards Ibanez. Why not allow him to continue to play his Daniel Slaman? Does Daniel have any say in this? Did Pat and Ibanez ask Daniel if it is all right by him? Is Daniel getting any emolument from the sales?

Daniel isn't exactly rolling in guilders. It just strikes me as wrong. OK, you may argue that Daniel was in turn riffing off Gibson. But Gibson never made a guitar like this in recent memory and Daniel single-handedly made the CC Blade current again. I don't have a problem with the Archtop Tribute guys doing the ES-150, ES-350BK and the Westville Aruba. Gibson have sort of abandoned these models. But Daniel, mates...this is like his bread and butter. And he is a one-man shop. I hope Pat Metheny and Ibanez do right by him.
    My take on this is that Ibanez is either making Pat a new artist model that he will actually use on stage (ala George Benson's ever-growing GB series), or simply another PM model that the masses will hopefully buy. Even Mr. Benson hasn't been seen playing the Chinese made LGB guitars.

Have you ever seen Scofield play his 'signature' JSM100 supposedly modeled after his old AS200? Nope!
    But they sell JSM100's; JSM10's etc. all day long to the guitar buying public.

We'll have to wait to see if Pat Metheny uses the new guitar...or not.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny will certainly appear in ads holding one. And to the uninitiated, it would appear as if Ibanez came up with it independently. I don't think Daniel Slaman is going to get any attribution in the ads.

Is this going to hurt Daniel's sales? Maybe, maybe not. The irony is that I feared that Gibson would come down hard on Daniel with a C&D-Gibson objected to the open-book cleft in the headstock-but I didn't see Ibanez ripping him off. That is not exactly an AF105NT with 3 holes.

User Info Menu

I just asked Daniel himself, and he sais that he wasnt involved or aware of this Ibanez until this morning

Daniel acknowledges that the guitar looks like his but also sees some differences. He is somewhat flattered that a large builder is copying more or less his guitar

Metheny BTW also uses another one of Daniels guitars at live performances, the “dome” nylonstring archtop guitar. Daniel also gets a lot of orders for that model due to Metheny playing it.

User Info Menu

Yes, Ibanez is copying Slaman's design, but it's hardly like he reinvented the archtop here. It'd be one thing if they blatantly copied a Ken Parker design, but at it's heart it's still just a heavily gibson inspired archtop with a charlie christian pickup.

User Info Menu

Not sure I see the Slaman connection in this thread. So only Slaman can copy the above guitar with a blade pickup he does not even make himself?

User Info Menu

i only hope ibanez uses/or develops their own real vintage spec designed cc pup...with the 2 huge magnets suspended under the archtop..hence the need for the 3 screws

like the guy in the uk makes...Charlie Christian Pickups - CC Pickups and slaman uses...to his credit!

all the rest are bogus copies

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i only hope ibanez uses/or develops their own real vintage spec designed cc pup...with the 2 huge magnets suspended under the archtop..hence the need for the 3 screws

like the guy in the uk makes...Charlie Christian Pickups - CC Pickups and slaman uses...to his credit!

all the rest are bogus copies

cheers
    I'm assuming that includes the CC pickups on the new Westville/Archtop Tribute ES150 and ES350 copies? They state they use their own MiJ pickups, but I haven't been able to locate descriptions of those pickups.

User Info Menu

am not familiar with type of cc used in the newest japanese copies...be great if they were getting the pup details right!!!..i hope so..but wouldnt count on...takes much extra $$$ and knowledge..why i give credit to cc pickups in uk...he stuck to the original design...bravo..and slaman knew enough to want to use them!!

even the great pickup man jason lollar uses plexi plates...they are for retro mounting purposes only...otherwise the 3 screws are not needed

be interested to find out tho!..i like those archtop tributes!

cheers

User Info Menu

for $5k, put a frickin' pickguard in the case compartment and put the neck heel strap button on. SMH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm assuming that includes the CC pickups on the new Westville/Archtop Tribute ES150 and ES350 copies? They state they use their own MiJ pickups, but I haven't been able to locate descriptions of those pickups.
    You will have to visit Walkin's FB page. It is buried in the posts of 2017 to 2018 where their work to develop their own CC is laid out.

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-31958071_1371315986345634_3295132710883819520_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Pat now also has a prototype of the Westville Aruba Unity, a tribute guitar, which will become available in the course of this year. Similar to the Aruba Crest the guitar has a CC pickup. But while the Aruba Crest has a maple top the Unity will have a spruce top.

The first prototype was finished and delivered to Pat early August. He loves it so much that nowadays on tour he has his Ibanez with him for the stage and the Westville to practice. On this particular guitar there were a few other nice design things like stars on the buttons, and arrows on the pickup similar to the arrows on the sleeve of Pat's Kin record (right upper corner). This guitar was in my hands after it was set up a day before it went to Pat. I only can testify that it is a fabulous guitar. I liked it more than the Crest. I made a few pictures of Pat's Westville Unity guitar and its details, but was asked not to share these on the internet.
    Last edited by stevus; 01-12-2019 at 06:43 AM.