The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 179

User Info Menu

I dunno dude.... its all guessing. A couple of sites used existing specs and people are taking them as gospel.
    Based on the pix with Pat it sure looks like a PM200 body. But who knows?
    Maybe JBN has a live connection still at Hoshino and can get some G2???

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would guess that Pat’s prototype has the body of fg100/ jp20. Which have slightly less depth than pm100/200 etc.
    PM2 was closest to the original I think .
    let’s hope that Ibanez puts out a Japan model of the exact dimensions of the prototype. It should not be that hard...

User Info Menu

The new issue of Jazztimes has Pat holding an interesting Ibanez.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-screenshot_20210422-112956_twitter-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hadn’t noticed before but that headstock has that odd cut out on the treble side. Also ‘non standard’ headstock inlay, truss rod cover and fret inlays. (If they do exist somewhere let me know?). Definitely a one off! If they did go into production wonder if they’d keep those oddities?
    I posted a question over at ICW if anyone knew anything about the PM 25 but no response. Perhaps a sign that not a lot is out there cause those dudes pretty much know everything Ibanez. Or they don’t like me)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hadn’t noticed before but that headstock has that odd cut out on the treble side. Also ‘non standard’ headstock inlay, truss rod cover and fret inlays. (If they do exist somewhere let me know?). Definitely a one off! If they did go into production wonder if they’d keep those oddities?
    I posted a question over at ICW if anyone knew anything about the PM 25 but no response. Perhaps a sign that not a lot is out there cause those dudes pretty much know everything Ibanez. Or they don’t like me)))
    Looks like gaffer tape not a truss rod cover.

User Info Menu

Yep sure does. Beats the horrible goldish one on the new AF200

User Info Menu

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-7581b996-bc06-4152-9c56-009a5170a709-jpeg
    From Rick Beato’s Instagram.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-7581b996-bc06-4152-9c56-009a5170a709-jpeg
    From Rick Beato’s Instagram.
    so now several relatively high-profile photos of him with several versions of this new Ibanez guitar…at this point seems like it would be a bit surprising if a new model were not in the offing…

User Info Menu

I’ll take a black one please

User Info Menu

That black one has that new 'headstock bite' that Jazzkritter noted in March. I would love to play and hear one of these myself, I love Ibbys and have played them nearly exclusively since about '80.

User Info Menu

Interesting the PM2 is cut from the 2021 catalog. Leaving them with just the PM200, I’m wondering if this may end up being the replacement for the PM2? The rest of the hollow body line seems to be as it was, even with some new varieties.
    Dreaming on.
    But dealers (2) I talked to both said it’s a total mystery to them, there’s no word one way or the other.

User Info Menu

I love how Pats personal looks really haven't changed much since 1975. Aside from graying a bit, same clothing style, and hairstyle,LOL !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I love how Pats personal looks really haven't changed much since 1975. Aside from graying a bit, same clothing style, and hairstyle,LOL !
    I do miss the striped shirt and toothbrush though

User Info Menu

I hope he got rid of the white shorts.

User Info Menu

Now khaki cargo shorts, probably. I really haven't bothered to keep up, though.

User Info Menu

They should just do a 22 fret model (a cheaper PM200) with better high fret access than most other archtops, I still think that that was one of the core features of the Metheny model(s). But they killed the PM20 and the PM100/120 which both had this.
    Pickups can always be changed afterwards.

User Info Menu

Here's Great interview of Pat Metheny by Rick Beato!
    At 1:26:36, Mr. Metheny picks up an Ibanez with a CC style pickup and plays a few things:

User Info Menu

Those Ibanez look nice. But it sucks that Daniel Slaman's guitar isn't there on the Jazz Times cover instead. I can't help but think how great it would have been for, and appreciative of Daniel if PM had posed with his Slaman. Here's a guy, Daniel, who has single handedly created this niche for himself and like minded guitarists. Finally gets break when the famous Metheny buys his work, but then the monstrous Ibanez corporation swoops down and co-opts his concept. C'mon Pat Metheny, really? This is OK?

User Info Menu

Blaming Pat on this is probably misdirected; following is opinion only, based on experience and history.
    I highly doubt that Pat’s licensing agreement with Ibanez would allow him to be seen on a cover pic with a Slaman and not an Ibanez. Further, IF ( and I think it’s a mighty big if) Ibanez comes out with this guitar, they are going to want to publicize its creation as an Ibanez, not a Slaman.
    This is no different than Joe Pass while in Ibanez ads for the JP20, yet Joe was recording (in ‘secret’ until pics surfaced) with a 175 or D’Angelico.
    And, from a positive view, Ibanez seems to be a fairly reputable outfit (well, now at least). It’s certainly possible that Ibanez has or will pay Slaman for his efforts so they don’t get their tails sued if they were to produce a “Copy” of the Slaman.
    Highly likely that agreement would require non-disclosure signatures by all participants, as in ‘tell no one ‘
    #opinions_off
    Ibanez did kinda get the ‘it’s not ok to copy others without permission’ lesson taught to them some years back lol.
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Here's Great interview of Pat Metheny by Rick Beato!
    At 1:26:36, Mr. Metheny picks up an Ibanez with a CC style pickup and plays a few things:

I enjoyed the interview very much, but couldn't help fixating on Metheny's bountiful bouffont hair.

I know women (and some guys) who would kill for locks like his!!

User Info Menu

Maybe we’ve got it wrong. It’s not the practicing, musicianship, ability that makes Pat great.
    Maybe it’s the hair!
    So if we grow ours out the same, We would sound like him.
    Let’s me out though, ain’t nothing been growing up there for a while.

User Info Menu

Further, IF ( and I think it’s a mighty big if) Ibanez comes out with this guitar, they are going to want to publicize its creation as an Ibanez, not a Slaman.
    FWIW Rick Beato mentioned the guitar in a later video and said it is a prototype that isn’t out YET.

User Info Menu

OK fellow Ibanezers…. Let’s think this through….
    There’s reportedly (by some online dealers) things going on at Ibanez regarding models and pricing. I have read that prices and availability will change during 2022 due to the component shortages and shipping back ups.
    A PM 25th anniversary model was listed earlier this year with no details but disappeared soon after. Dealers did not get any indication of if it’s coming or not.
    It’s also interesting that the lower cost PM2 was removed from the 2021 catalog, while no other signature (or Artcore) hollow bodies were removed.
    As to Beato’s comment I hope he is right, cause I have a #1 spot reserved with a dealer).
    But realistically I see a couple of outcomes: Nothing changes, we continue to see PM with a nifty prototype. Or, clouds part and it shows up as an MII replacement for the PM2. Or clouds really part and it becomes a MIJ J Crew model. Or, who knows WTF they do.
    Ibanez are pretty swift marketers, which is why the elimination of the PM2 makes me concerned. Was it not selling at a required level? Did they cut it thinking the PM25 was near but stalled due to issues? Or, did they cut it to see market reaction to it being gone as a measure of interest in a PP25? Or was it a victim of the general muck-up in South Asia trade?
    So is Beato being told real inside scoop rather than the dealers?
    I am looking forward to it, and as I said will certainly buy one when it appears.
    im just trying to take what we know, what we can guess, and pop out some likely scenarios.
    Dont know about you, but isn’t this more fun than political and philosophical arguments?
    jk

User Info Menu

Maybe we’ve got it wrong. It’s not the practicing, musicianship, ability that makes Pat great.
    Maybe it’s the hair!
    So if we grow ours out the same, We would sound like him.
    Let’s me out though, ain’t nothing been growing up there for a while.
    Given that Pat is 67, there is a suspicion that there isn’t so much growing there now in his case either, and he has resorted to a wig...

User Info Menu

Maybe there’s always been some weird Samson-type thing with Pat: no locks = no chops.