The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 179

User Info Menu

Slamin just copied the Gibson models ,nothing original in design..why should ibanez ask him if it’s ok ?
    as far as use of cc pickups, I’ve been using them for years as well as other guys I know..it’s been kind of an undercover hero pickup for years..Gibsons are the holy grail..i have 2 . ( I like the lollar humbucking size models as well) The others are fakes,some better than others ..I don’t know where slamin gets his..pats guitar is on the cover of the latest downbeat magazine ..I would buy one if it ever came in to my local music store...maybe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsong
    Slamin just copied the Gibson models ,nothing original in design..
    This sounds really unfair to me. Daniël Slaman and Pat Metheny designed
    together t
    he Sister Series that Pat has been using since 2015. It's not a fake Gibson as you intend. It is certainly a model inspired by prewar Gibsons, as any F-hole archtop, but it has many originalities in design, shape and structure.

Knowing Daniël a little bit, I think he doesn't care about the new Ibanez model. I know he finds himself blessed enough to have been selected by great guitarists such as Pat Metheny or Miles Okazaki. He is a very positive-minded people, always looking to the sunny side of things.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I just had a thought .....

years ago Ibanez made Pat a one off prototype PM
    it was very nice ....
    then they released various PM models high
    and low end ....
    but none of them were like the original prototype ....

Pat mainly continued to just use the prototype....
    so so maybe he same thing will happen ....

I hope not , cos the one in the pictures looks perfect
    i want one for sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Pat now also has a prototype of the Westville Aruba Unity, a tribute guitar, which will become available in the course of this year. Similar to the Aruba Crest the guitar has a CC pickup. But while the Aruba Crest has a maple top the Unity will have a spruce top.

The first prototype was finished and delivered to Pat early August. He loves it so much that nowadays on tour he has his Ibanez with him for the stage and the Westville to practice. On this particular guitar there were a few other nice design things like stars on the buttons, and arrows on the pickup similar to the arrows on the sleeve of Pat's Kin record (right upper corner). This guitar was in my hands after it was set up a day before it went to Pat. I only can testify that it is a fabulous guitar. I liked it more than the Crest. I made a few pictures of Pat's Westville Unity guitar and its details, but was asked not to share these on the internet.
    I believe the gentleman in this video is playing the Westville Unity Pat Metheney tribute guitar:

User Info Menu

I saw Metheny last night here in Singapore... and he played (mostly) the same model pictured here with CC pick-up and two 1/4'' plugs sticking out. The second one seems to be for a mic or piezo pickup installed in the lower F-hole. Anyone knows that this is exactly? Love the electro-acoustic sound when he engages both.

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-20191120_201624-copy-jpg

User Info Menu

...and is that a rectangular sound port on the top shoulder, or a piece of black gaffa tape?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    ...and is that a rectangular sound port on the top shoulder, or a piece of black gaffa tape?
    That piece of tape is where he sticks his extra guitar picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    @cfibanez .. It's a microphone .. He's been doing that since the 80s. Blending the electric output with that of a microphone. There are some interviews where he describes it.
    Thanks. Do you have any information of the type or brand of microphone? Or else can you point me in the right direction? Thanks. /C

User Info Menu

I hope they’ve left room for the toothbrush somewhere.

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-78011ab8-fb46-49f6-8556-deadb4035b4b-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matthewryu
    Hopefully a new signature model?
    looks really great! (photos from instagram)

Attachment 66585

Attachment 66584
    I STILL say he is secretly Dennis Quaid in a wig, who is actually a CIA spy!
    Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-dennis_quaid-jpg

User Info Menu

Don't see this one being under 3k maybe under 4k ...think this will ever be commercially available?

User Info Menu

Yikes. Like my Sean Connery/Jim Hall parallel.

User Info Menu

On that note I always thought William Hurt would be great to play Scofield

User Info Menu

And Leon Redbone was really Frank Zappa. Or vice versa.

User Info Menu

Downbeat December 2020. Looks like he is sticking with the Ibanez for now.

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-11920143-4f38-4b78-9026-3aabc93f7316-jpeg

User Info Menu

Question is if this is ever going to be a production model. Ibanez have long made all sorts of crazy guitars for their artists that are one offs. Especially for someone like Paul Gilbert that has his fireman Ibanez made in al sorts of colors and configurations (single coils -> mini-humbuckers -> humbuckers).

Latest version I've seen is purple with a floyd rose added, which I don't expect to ever hit the stores

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Yikes. Like my Sean Connery/Jim Hall parallel.
    I think this is insulting. Do not ask who for.

User Info Menu

True. The Pm200 was released how many years after Pat's prototype? Probably around two-three decades. 1989-2013. The Pm100 and 120 and Pm2 were all different than the prototype. I hope this CC Ibanez will be an anomaly and sold on the market. The YouTube clip with Pat playing with Ron Carter...great sound! I personally think Pat sounds better with the Ibanez laminate sound than the Slaman solid top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matchafor2
    True. The Pm200 was released how many years after Pat's prototype? Probably around two-three decades. 1989-2013. The Pm100 and 120 and Pm2 were all different than the prototype. I hope this CC Ibanez will be an anomaly and sold on the market. The YouTube clip with Pat playing with Ron Carter...great sound! I personally think Pat sounds better with the Ibanez laminate sound than the Slaman solid top.

The PM120 is a weird beast .. Not really a fan of the 3 knob wiring and been considering replacing the silent58 in the neck more than once, but due to being such a comfortable guitar it gets the most of my playtime.

The PM100 is just grossly underrated .. I love it (tho previous owner replaced the stock super58 with a Benedetto A6, so I don't know how the stock one sounds) and sounds absolutely stellar.

User Info Menu

Pat made some of my favorite records with the PM100. The Jim Hall and Kenny Garrett collaborations, for example. The PM120 can be heard on the Orchestrion album and is still used by Pat reportedly for triggering the orchestrion.

I agree with your points. I prefer one pickup guitars. I keep banging my pick or hand on the bridge pickup for pm120. But it is the most comfortable and mellow pm of them all. Pm100 is fantastic too, with a round and clear sound.

Now for the pm300/pmcc....Ha Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The PM120 is a weird beast .. Not really a fan of the 3 knob wiring and been considering replacing the silent58 in the neck more than once, but due to being such a comfortable guitar it gets the most of my playtime.

The PM100 is just grossly underrated .. I love it (tho previous owner replaced the stock super58 with a Benedetto A6, so I don't know how the stock one sounds) and sounds absolutely stellar.

User Info Menu

The PM120 can be heard on the Orchestrion album and is still used by Pat reportedly for triggering the orchestrion.
    "Heard"

But yeah, I caught one of his shows on the Orchestrion tour .. A blonde PM120 was his controller. Pretty cool concert actually

Unlike you I'd actually love me a two pup PM100 ... It's the wiring/controls and not the extra pup that bothers me on the PM120. I'm still holding on to that one tho. It's simply too comfortable and a joy to play. Originally my quest was for either a GB10 or ES175 and only bought that PM100 on a whim as it was an very good price.

Since then I've seen several good deals on used GB10s and a well priced ES175, but passed on them ... I guess I'm good?

User Info Menu

I have the reverse color scheme for these guitars!

What do you not like about the wiring? That you can't control the volume individually for the pickups? I only use the neck pickup anyhow. You gave a Gilbert reference so I am assuming you need varied tones for diff styles?

I wouldn't give up the pm100...they are becoming more rare now...they sound fantastic, way diff than GB10 or a ES-175.

User Info Menu

What do you not like about the wiring?
    That the tone seems to come before volume and will affect it, if you turn the tone knob .. no big deal, but weird.

User Info Menu

I consider the pm100 to be the (in Pat’s mind) evolution of the es 175. Initially he played the original Ibanez that was the just as good “replacement”. Then, he upgraded it with his personal improvements. Double cut, easy fret access, fast neck, ebony fretboard. What’s not to like? There are several videos on YouTube playing pm100 around 1996-1999.
    then came the pm120 which was designed for the working man, second pickup, less feedback.

of course, both these models were doomed to commercial limited success because the are visually far from traditional archtop design. And therefore limited circle life product.

I think that’s why the pm200 came out as a new product. Visually similar to the original version but in reality deeper and larger. I don’t think that metheny ever played an pm200.

I really hope that Ibanez will roll out the current version. He seems to like it a lot.

User Info Menu

Westville guitars has nothing to do with Ibanez, Pat was seen in 2019 at a NJ concert playing a similar Ibanez that's not in production.

Cheers,
    Arnie..

Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-1_oul1vtjx9ovmrihyy2hpcq-jpeg
    Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-1_iocoaveyg1xx-pa1sjtoyq-jpeg
    Ibanez working on new Metheny model with CC?-photo-extralarge_1580136010957-f06a7fc8bd2cf84d309c9b9caded82d10a9e45f7-s800-c85-jpg