The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 179 of 179

User Info Menu

I guess my ears aren't good enough to distinguish any of these guitars in recordings. Metheny sounds like Metheny, and his guitar always (well, almost always) sounds pretty good to me and way better than I can produce. Most of the time his guitar is processed in ways that seem to me to obscure the native sound of the particular guitar.

But the pickup on his guitar apparently matters to him, so that's OK by me.

As for the issue at hand, Ibanez copying Slaman copying Gibson, I think that's bosh. Gibson seems to have invented the archtop guitar back in the 20s, put pickups on them in the thirties, and spun out many variants over the years. Other builders also built archtops, and everybody seems to have borrowed design details from everybody else, with a few evolutionary quirks thrown into the mix. Some guitars were better than others.

I have to say that my favorite piece of Metheny guitar design was the toothbrush.

More power to him, Metheny can play whatever strikes his fancy. Perhaps one day he'll appear with a Silvertone guitar and reveal us all for what we are.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The PM3C

Ah ! it exists !
    It's coming soon !
    It's gonna be affordable !

(Oh dear I'm gassing bad now)

User Info Menu

Yup. Summer 2024 release and Indonesian made, according to an Ibanez rep at NAMM.

User Info Menu

I wonder if they is going to be a PM300C (made in Japan)...