The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 120 of 120

User Info Menu

Thanks Tim. A friend told me that Henriksen is working on a "Forte Head", but it's all the information that it has....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznero
    Thanks Tim. A friend told me that Henriksen is working on a "Forte Head", but it's all the information that it has....
    It's been out for months

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the thing that makes forte unique is that it does *NOT* use class D. The class D amps impart their own sonic characteristics. Henriksen initially tried a class D power amp (cheaper, lighter, etc) but wasn't satisfied with the results with the HV fender style tube preamp he uses so he eventually used a more conventional, analog SS power amp design.
    Although ......... is it correct that he uses a Class D power amp in the BLU ?

Its perfectly possible that a Class D power section sounds fine for clean sounds
    while not being optimum for more crunchy sounds .....

Is that why ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Although ......... is it correct that he uses a Class D power amp in the BLU ?

Its perfectly possible that a Class D power section sounds fine for clean sounds
    while not being optimum for more crunchy sounds .....

Is that why ?
    I don't know what he uses in the BLU but the forte was made for clean sounds, not crunchy sounds

User Info Menu

I don't know what he uses in the BLU but the forte was made for clean sounds, not crunchy sounds
    Ok yes it is designed to deliver a lot of clean headroom !

but to quote their website

"The Forte is capable of cleans up to 117db, with a saturation and input gain control to fine-tune just how much hair you want on your tone."

So maybe my question still stands ?
    not intending an argument Jack , just interested in all this Amp stuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Ok yes it is designed to deliver a lot of clean headroom !

but to quote their website

"The Forte is capable of cleans up to 117db, with a saturation and input gain control to fine-tune just how much hair you want on your tone."

So maybe my question still stands ?
    not intending an argument Jack , just interested in all this Amp stuff
    yes, it might have a saturation and gain control but everyone I know who uses one is using it strictly for clean. The facebook group I run (modern jazz guitar) has several members who own one and have demonstrated tons of clean amp sounds and the amp sounds great. One guy (Bob Ross) posts quite a few clips of it there. He does occasionally use a more modern sound with overdrive but never uses the amp's overdrive. He's using a pedal for overdrive with the amp always set for clean tones. I've spoken to Peter several times about this amp and the analog power amp was chosen for its clean tones, not crunchy sounds. If he wanted a crunchy power amp he could have gone with something that utilized a microtube or any number of other designs. I'll tell him about this thread and maybe he will comment.

User Info Menu

thanks jack that would be interesting ...

User Info Menu

It's been out for months
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, Jack asked me to log in and answer some questions about the Forte, here are my responses to what seem to be the most FAQ in this thread, please reply with anything specific and I will try to get back to you:

The cabinet - we used a tweed deluxe cabinet from MojoTone as the development cabinet because it was off-the-shelf (we don't have our own cabinet shop), had a slant front and was light weight with a proven design, and we could mess with front or rear loading the speaker. Over the course of developing the amp, the cabinet design was customized and is now basically a pine, tweed deluxe size but an inch deeper.

The power amp - The Forte is not using a switching power supply or a class D power amp. The Forte uses the same A/B design we have been using with the JazzAmp since its inception. If you want to know technically what it is, it's a darlington pair transistor configuration. Our use of the word "analog" to describe the amp is meant more to differentiate it from modeling amplifiers than from class D. Recent class D developments have been extraordinary, and we are making use of it in our other products, however when we tried it with The Forte, you could really "feel" the difference, and we just felt the product was superior when coupled with the traditional A/B amplifier.

The tube - it's a full plate voltage (as opposed to starved) 12AX7 circuit. Heat isn't really a serious concern, that's not why we have the tube sticking out of the top, we assumed people would be wanting to change out the tube and so looked for a way to marry the design with accessibility, and protect it at the same time. Our stock tube is a Mullard, so it's not like we went with the cheapest option for stock, but much like the speaker, we know there are plenty of options out there to suit individual tastes.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information!!!! I wish that you low a little the price.....

Here is a great sound clip of the gain sounds with pedals:

Scott Lerner

User Info Menu

I m very interested in the amp.
    One Question- how does the Equalizer interacts with the tone knobs? I play a Princeton Reverb and too many knobs scare me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fabiansey
    I m very interested in the amp.
    One Question- how does the Equalizer interacts with the tone knobs? I play a Princeton Reverb and too many knobs scare me...
    Set the equalizer flat and tape over it.

User Info Menu

Good idea????. So for me The question for a portable fenderish sound is: Forte or quilter head with blockdock cab.
    Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

i love the blockdock 12 but it doesn't sound particularly fendery. is the forte available as a head now?

I have the blockdock with a jensen jet tornado in it. Same light weight but a little more fendery than stock speaker which is more like a 12L

User Info Menu

i love the blockdock 12 but it doesn't sound particularly fendery. is the forte available as a head now?

I have the blockdock with a jensen jet tornado in it. Same light weight but a little more fendery than stock speaker which is more like a 12L
    Thank you- just to be clear. I meant the Forte combo, not the head. So for me it s the Forte combo against the Quilter head/blockdock combination.

User Info Menu

Henriksen is going to announce the "Forte Head" on the next weeks.....

User Info Menu

Resurrected this thread to inquire on any experiences with it.

User Info Menu

I haven't seen any. It's an open back cab so that may factor into it. I would agree that hemp cone speaker would not be my first choice. What speaker did Tim put in his?
    Hey Jack, I know you're more hip to this stuff than me but what speaker would you recommend in the Forte instead of the Hemp?. I have a Forte and i tried to put in the same speaker that Tim recommended and it wouldn't fit!!. strange....Looking for something clean, for jazz only pretty much. thanks
    Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 06-23-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Very nice sound indeed!

User Info Menu

I have the blockdock with a jensen jet tornado in it.
    I have a neo Jet Tornado in my RE cab and love it - it's rich, tight, balanced, and neutral. But if I remember correctly, the Forte combo has an open back, and that design usually favors the sound quality of speakers with total Qs of 0.7 or higher. Only the 16 Ohm 12" Tornado has a Q that high (it's 0.7) while the 4 and 8 Ohm 12" versions have Qs just slightly over 5. This is not a guarantee of less than great sound quality, but it suggests that you have to try the speaker(s) you're considering in your cabinet. Some speakers might sound great to some people despite the mismatched Q, but most would not because an infinite baffle favors speakers with more structural damping. Sealed cabs and ports / vents both add back pressure that helps damp cone motion. Read this summary from Eminence for more info.

There are other Jet 12s with total Qs of 0.85 and up (e.g. the Falcon and the Blackbird) that are theoretically better matches for an open cab. But they're not neos, so they weigh a few pounds more.