The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 120

User Info Menu

Pre orders are being taken. $1500, 28 pounds.

The Forte - Henriksen Amplifiers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hemp cone speaker is good, in my experience. 1500$ is not

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Hemp cone speaker is good, in my experience. 1500$ is not
    And reduced from 1900$

Wow ..... bargain !
    <joking , thats too rich for my blood >

It does sound good though
    The Forte - Henriksen Amplifiers

Nice guitar with a dynosonic PU on there too

(Having full plate voltage on the preamp tube is a very good thing IMO)

User Info Menu

It does sound good, it should be a great amp - even if I could justify the money, I'm not sure I could get past the looks

User Info Menu

I would seriously consider one with the discount and a review by Jack Zucker.

User Info Menu

American parts and labor are costly. The same is true of German parts and labor. Henriksen, Acoustic Image and AER amps are not cheap. Neither are Cadillacs, Lincolns or BMW's.

Life is short. Play the best stuff you can afford.

User Info Menu

Peter just emailed me back. They plan keep the discount price for a couple of months. He said they are doing the same thing they did for the Bud. I guess they want to get a feel for how it is received.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I would seriously consider one with the discount and a review by Jack Zucker.

User Info Menu

Is this amp basically JazzAmp with a built in tube preamp pedal and an EQ pedal?
    It would be interesting to see a comparison of this amp with a JazzAmp + tube preamp in front.

User Info Menu

IMHO I was thinking this design is geared towards a younger tube amp crowd. 12" speaker, 28 pounds, esthetics, and the statement "Not only for Jazz". Plus the controls look like they are from an alien space craft. And the "hemp" speaker. Should be a disclaimer;"Do not smoke the speaker."

User Info Menu

Maybe it's weak willpower today from lack of sleep, but I am interested. Can I justify making my Henriksen/Sound Island Alfresco my living room amp? It has been recently anyways. And this Forte is lighter than my Alfresco. Hmmm...

I will revisit after 100 hours of practice and learning two new tunes.

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong. That's the top of a 12ax7 preamp tube sticking up through the control panel, wearing a fancy hat/tube protector deeley, right?

Also, note the open back. That's going to give the Forte a different tonal response than the closed-back design, for sure.

This amp could give Henriksen an entree into the market that Quilter is working--i.e., the solid-state, Fenderish amp market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Is this amp basically JazzAmp with a built in tube preamp pedal and an EQ pedal?
    It would be interesting to see a comparison of this amp with a JazzAmp + tube preamp in front.
    I see those glowing 5 band EQ sliders, but it looks like it has knobs for TMB -- huh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I see those glowing 5 band EQ sliders, but it looks like it has knobs for TMB -- huh?
    Usually TMB controls are before the gain stage (somewhere in the preamp stage) and EQ is after the preamp and before the power amp. Not sure if this is the case with this amp.

User Info Menu

I think your right on the tube sticking out. I was wondering what the heck it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Correct me if I'm wrong. That's the top of a 12ax7 preamp tube sticking up through the control panel, wearing a fancy hat/tube protector deeley, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    It looks like an oscillation over-thruster that bends gravity and reduces the amps weight but it's just a good old, stone age tube inside.

User Info Menu

It looks like an oscillation over-thruster that bends gravity and reduces the amps weight but it's just a good old, stone age tube inside.

User Info Menu

So what, precisely, is an "analog power amp?" I know tube amp, and I know solid-state, but "analog" is normally contrasted with "digital" so I am not sure what an analog power amp is.

But I don't know much about amp innards to start with, so someone please clue me in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So what, precisely, is an "analog power amp?" I know tube amp, and I know solid-state, but "analog" is normally contrasted with "digital" so I am not sure what an analog power amp is.

But I don't know much about amp innards to start with, so someone please clue me in.
    The term may be used in contrast to Class D amplifiers (digital amplification), though I would imagine class D guitar ampliers are rare to none-existent in the first place.

User Info Menu

Class D is not exactly "digital".

Class D Amplifiers – Not 'Just Audio' | Extron

I'm not sure what power amps Henriksen uses these days, but they used to be Class A/B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Class D is not exactly "digital".
    You might be right. I heard digital amps referred to as class D but that might not be very accurate. Although that's what people mean when they say digital amp I believe.

User Info Menu

How much? Is there a talent level dial/knob upgrade option available? If so, I'll take 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

User Info Menu

So an analog power amp would receive the signal as an analog audio signal and out put it as the same. No conversion to/from digital? I never even knew amps were converting between analog and digital in the first place...

User Info Menu

I'm not an expert, but an amplifier is something that amplifies sound and they're analog by nature. Some of them might have a DAC (digital to analog converter) incorporated, like a modelling device. But the amplification part is always analog, I believe - and the Henriksen iis for sure an all analog amp, with the exception of the reverb chip (which must have DACs, of course).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

A true digital amplifier is one in which the signal is converted into a digital signal, increased via digital signal processing, and then converted back to analog so it can be passed to a speaker. SFAIK, no guitar amps actually are this. Rather, people get confused by the nomenclature and call (some) class D amps "digital".

Class D means the amp's output transistors are acting as (extremely fast) switches, as opposed to continuously operating/varying gain devices (typically, class A or AB; google that if you really want to know). The switching in class D can be controlled by either analog or digital circuitry, but the signal itself remains analog. Class D amps with good audio quality were made practical by relatively recent advances in transistors and control-circuitry. Long story short, they can be made much smaller and lighter and operate more efficiently and at lower temperatures than A or AB, which makes tiny, powerful amps a real possibility. The raft of very small, very powerful guitar amps that has hit the market over the last several years are Class D.

John

User Info Menu

You might be right. I heard digital amps referred to as class D but that might not be very accurate. Although that's what people mean when they say digital amp I believe.

When I hear the term digital amp, I always think they are referring to complete combo amp with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chips in the design. (or other digital components) not necessarily anything specific to the power amp.