The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 120

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This amp has a fender style preamp (tube) with a class-D power amp. The correct way to do what musicman is trying to do.

I may be getting an evaluation unit for review.

User Info Menu

Looks interesting

User Info Menu

I would have liked to have heard a demo with a lot less Reverb. A good comparison with the Jazzamp TEN would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    This amp has a fender style preamp (tube) with a class-D power amp. The correct way to do what musicman is trying to do.

I think DV Mark tried it too with the 2 Gambale combos. But they never caught fire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I would have liked to have heard a demo with a lot less Reverb. A good comparison with the Jazzamp TEN would be nice.
    Interesting...I don't really hear much reverb there, and for the record I usually run my reverb at "off" or "1". Sounds pretty natural to me in the demo!

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

User Info Menu

Please let us know if you do. I have been looking more information on this amp.

User Info Menu

Henriksen says that it has a 12" inch speaker

User Info Menu

Open back?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Open back?
    I don't think you can put tubes in a closed box, even just one preamp tube will throw enough heat to require ventilation.

User Info Menu

Good point. Now I just have to get past the looks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I don't think you can put tubes in a closed box, even just one preamp tube will throw enough heat to require ventilation.

In one of the photos posted on the Henriksen FB page you can see the tube protruding above the control panel in a transparent cover. From that photo it's difficult to see if they also provided ventilation.

User Info Menu

Tubes are as much heating devices as they are diodes and amplification devices. The typical vacuum tube converts 50% of the energy applied to it into electronic "work." (i.e., diode switching or amplification, depending upon the design) The other 50% is emitted as heat into the "room."

Tube devices thus are open box designs.

User Info Menu

FWIW, the McGowan clip above is not my cuppa, in terms of sound. I like his playing. I would, however, knob-twist to achieve a different tone. There is a heck of a big mid-bass hump going on in the clip. Reminds me of my old FDR with the bass on 7 and the treble on 7.

It'd be nice to hear some mids, IMO. I'd bet that the amp can do it.

User Info Menu

It might be the speaker? What speaker are they using?

User Info Menu

I think the amp (in prototype form) sounds better here:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Tubes are as much heating devices as they are diodes and amplification devices. The typical vacuum tube converts 50% of the energy applied to it into electronic "work." (i.e., diode switching or amplification, depending upon the design) The other 50% is emitted as heat into the "room."

Tube devices thus are open box designs.
    I have not seen a photo showing the back of the new amp. However, I suspect if not open back, they provided a massive heat sink with fins. I suspect they took a few internal temperature measurements before getting this far a long in the design.

User Info Menu

If it's a tube amp, I bet it's open back. You'd need a coolant loop, otherwise. Fins wouldn't be enough.

User Info Menu

So do we know anything about the actual circuitry? What tubes used? What blend of tubes and SS? Digital reverb?

User Info Menu

Just a guess...Fender tube preamp/tone stack and a Henriksen solid-state power amp. I'm apt to be wrong.

User Info Menu

Isn't this an option with the Mambo amps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Just a guess...Fender tube preamp/tone stack and a Henriksen solid-state power amp. I'm apt to be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Isn't this an option with the Mambo amps?
    no, the mambo uses a SS design with a tone stack similar to a BF fender but it's not an actual tube circuit.

And no , fins do not work without ventilation, particularly in a closed space.

And yes, it's tube preamp. I have spoken to the engineer.

User Info Menu

So this is a hybrid design melding the classic Fender tone with the weight and power advantages of Class D?
    no, the mambo uses a SS design with a tone stack similar to a BF fender but it's not an actual tube circuit.

And no , fins do not work without ventilation, particularly in a closed space.

And yes, it's tube preamp. I have spoken to the engineer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    So this is a hybrid design melding the classic Fender tone with the weight and power advantages of Class D?
    i think so based on the conversations I've had.