The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    When I hear the term digital amp, I always think they are referring to complete combo amp with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chips in the design. (or other digital components) not necessarily anything specific to the power amp.
    Yes, "digital guitar amp" would normally mean a modeling amp. But Lawson-stone's post I was replying to was asking about digital power amps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m staying away from the class discussion since I am lacking in that area. Regarding the current $1500 price tag, if you consider that plenty of their solid state amps sell for over $1000, $1500 for their new tube amp seems quite reasonable. $1900? Time will tell.

User Info Menu

There is a good summary of Class D on the Mambo amps website written by Jon Shaw. It is not digital.

User Info Menu

From the email I just got from Henriksen:

Over the past 13 years, Henriksen Amplifiers has built our reputation on designing and manufacturing high quality, high fidelity amplifiers for jazz and acoustic guitars using a premium solid-state architecture. We have become the industry standard for straight ahead jazz guitar amplification when it comes to that plug-n-play, high headroom solid-state sound, but there's always been something missing for customers who like a tube amp sound with a little break up or a more modern distortion-based guitar tone.

Until now.

Introducing The Forte! This design combines our JazzAmp with a full plate voltage 12AX7 based tube preamp, and has all the tube feel and warmth, combined with the rich tone Henriksen is known for, but without the weight and maintenance of a full tube amp. At only 28 pounds, The Forte has the clean headroom capable of delivering Fender Twin levels of volume, but is linear in design so you can get that same sweet sound at lower volumes as well.

In addition to great tone, like all Henriksen products this amp was engineered to be a true road warrior and designed with the gigging professional in mind. Whether you're looking for a plug-n-play, high headroom amp for big clean sounds, or a low maintenance pedal platform that has some great analog feel to it, The Forte is exceptionally portable with the tonal versatility and volume to cover any gig and be just fine living in the trunk of your car.

Of note was the claim to be able to deliver “Fender Twin levels of volume, but is linear in design so you can get that same sweet sound at lower volumes as well.”

Could this be the portable Twin people have wanted for decades?

User Info Menu

Update from Henriksen:

SOLD OUT! We thought that would take a few months, not two weeks. Please check with your local Henriksen dealer to make sure they have The Forte on order, if so they should have them in the next few weeks. Otherwise the next production run will be available to ship in early April.

Thanks for making the new Forte such an astounding success! The Forte's promotional pricing has now ended, and we are working on the next round of production.

Contact your local dealer to inquire about stock and previously placed orders!

Congrats to those who got the promotional price of $1500 as it will now cost $1900! I’m looking forward to a review and demo out here as soon as someone gets theirs.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried it yet? I'm intrigued.

User Info Menu

It's actually the opposite of musicman amps, which had solid state preamps and tube power amps
    i should have kept my 1X10 RD50
    I still can't believe that 20 million people in this country have a home studio, but when they make a new amp that you want to check out, all you get are a bunch of crap iphone videos... c'mon man!!! an sm57 is less than a hundred bucks
    I'd love to check one out, but for $1900, I would rather have a vintage princeton, and a polytone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darby
    Has anyone tried it yet? I'm intrigued.
    Bump for this -- anyone purchase/play one recently?

User Info Menu

Also bumping...can anybody report back with intel?

User Info Menu

Here's a demo by Tim Lerch:

User Info Menu

Sounds like Henriksen is going head to head with Quilter, to these ears.

Great demo, Tim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT
    Here's a demo by Tim Lerch:
    Give Tim a battery-powered Pignose and a 3/4-size Hello Kitty guitar, and he'd still sound fantastic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Give Tim a battery-powered Pignose and a 3/4-size Hello Kitty guitar, and he'd still sound fantastic!
    That would be his punk phase.

User Info Menu

Ampeg fliptop was a closed back design. The flip dealt with the heat.

User Info Menu

On his facebook page, Tim says ii changed the speaker because was a little muddy... I think it sounds like a Henriksen 312 with more compression..... Not Fender al all, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Bump for this -- anyone purchase/play one recently?
    bob ross on the modern jazz guitar forum has one and has posted many clips with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznero
    On his facebook page, Tim says ii changed the speaker because was a little muddy... I think it sounds like a Henriksen 312 with more compression..... Not Fender al all, no?
    Sounds nothing like the SS henriksen. Sounds very much like a fender IMO...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the answer. The modern jazz guitar forum is : Modern Jazz Guitar Public Group | Facebook

Thanks

User Info Menu

I like the Forte, I did change the speaker because I thought the Hemp cone that comes with it had a lot of low mids that sounded kind of cloudy that I couldn't dial out. Once I put a speaker in that I am used to (not better just familiar) I was a lot more comfortable with the sound. the EQ works great to get lots of different sounds, in the above clip someone had asked Peter H. about how the amp would sound with a tele doing a more Blues/Americana type sound so he asked me to make a video of that sound. Its a very good and plenty loud, very flexible amp. I'll be using it a lot this summer since I play lots of outdoor festivals this time of year and the extra volume will come in handy.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

I agree with Jack--very Fender-like. Hence my comment about Quilter.

Quilter amps are excellent solid -state amps that recreate the Fender combo amp sound faithfully.
    Last edited by Greentone; 05-27-2019 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I agree with Jack--very Fender-like. Hence my comment about Quilter.

Quilter amps are excellent solid -state amps that recreate the Fender combo amp sound faithfully.
    The quilters do not sound like a fender. They have a reactive output section so they breathe like a tube amp but I've spent dozens of hours going back and forth between my od200 and a fender amp and really, they sound nothing alike. I do love the quilter and it's hard to beat its feature set and price/power/weight but nobody is going to think you're playing through a fender amp when you play the quilter. It sounds like a SS amp but sounds great. The Forte actually has a fender vibe to it.

User Info Menu

It seems to me 28 lb's is still hefty for what's essentially an SS amp. It's pretty much the weight of a Princeton.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It seems to me 28 lb's is still hefty for what's essentially an SS amp. It's pretty much the weight of a Princeton.
    but with 10x the power. You could never use the princeton for a loud gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Sounds reasonable, but what is the cabinet material?

I have a 1x12 *extension* cab that alone is 44 lbs. Nice EVM12L speaker, though. Hand cart time!

User Info Menu

Yeah 28lbs is not a show stopper. Blu on the other hand is only 12 pounds with the same power rating. Though of course different cabinet and speaker sizes. I wonder how much the tube aspects of Forte contribute to it's weight. I'm guessing they designed it in a way that didn't require them to use heavy transformers.