The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringjazz
    Thanks for the great info on the speakers. If I were to choose a darker speaker than either one of those for the Overdrive 200, what would you recommend?
    If you like the high clean headroom less cone break up of the EV but want darker the Eminence Wheelhouse is kind of like that. It has a hemp cone and is rated at 150 watts. It starts to roll off at 3.5k. We have a few here at the office, they're neat! I've never tried the speaker recommends but I'm sure it's great too!

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks to both of you!

Another clip

User Info Menu

That sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Another clip

Talking about super chops! I'm not worthy.

Sounds great. And this must be a much simpler set up for you, less time spent tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Talking about super chops! I'm not worthy.

Sounds great. And this must be a much simpler set up for you, less time spent tweaking.
    Yep, plus i feel funny for being on the modeling bandwagon for 3 years but when I plug into a straight amp, there's an immediacy to the sound that was missing before. Part of it is the slight latency of the analog to digital and back to analog conversion and part of it is the thump from playing through guitar speakers again...

User Info Menu

How are you getting along with the Celestion Neo?

Just wanted to add that I really like this speaker in the Mach2 HD cabinet. I'm not much of a speaker connoisseur as I really don't even know what speakers were in some of my rigs of the past. I can say I like it a lot more than the Mesa Wide-Body 12 cab that I can compare it to. The Mesa cab aggravates that high mid spike of the Aviator 8, and the low end of the Mach2 cab is just more open sounding. I guess it's what people are talking about when they say tighter?

Just did a little googling. Looks like one of the speakers from my past is the Altec 417-8H I opted for when I bought my first Mesa in 76 or so. Instantly recognizable in the image search. All I remember is I liked that amp a lot, gigged it for 15 years, and that is was very very heavy. 100 watts of tube power, the speaker to handle it, plus the road case... pushing 100 lbs I guess.

You sound great in the clip. Hope you're feeling better!

I'm loving it. I was very nervous about it because I've hated every single neo speaker I've ever tried. Prior to this one, I would have said that they all have a very fatiguing mid-range spike but this one is totally clear. No spike. It sounds like an EV but without the annoying midrange spike. What's in the mesa cab?

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    How are you getting along with the Celestion Neo?

Just wanted to add that I really like this speaker in the Mach2 HD cabinet. I'm not much of a speaker connoisseur as I really don't even know what speakers were in some of my rigs of the past. I can say I like it a lot more than the Mesa Wide-Body 12 cab that I can compare it to. The Mesa cab aggravates that high mid spike of the Aviator 8, and the low end of the Mach2 cab is just more open sounding. I guess it's what people are talking about when they say tighter?

Just did a little googling. Looks like one of the speakers from my past is the Altec 417-8H I opted for when I bought my first Mesa in 76 or so. Instantly recognizable in the image search. All I remember is I liked that amp a lot, gigged it for 15 years, and that is was very very heavy. 100 watts of tube power, the speaker to handle it, plus the road case... pushing 100 lbs I guess.

You sound great in the clip. Hope you're feeling better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    What's in the mesa cab?
    I'm not sure. Whatever it shipped with. I believe that's the Mesa rebranded Celestion with the enhanced spike :)

they were using classic lead 80s for a while but then vintage 30s later. i bet it's the latter which is probably not a good fit with the quilter.

User Info Menu

Closed back cab and I'm not curious enuf to open it, but according to current spec the Mesa speaker would be a C90. The cab's designed for Mark amps so it's gotta handle 90 watts. It's about 4 years old.

I can confirm it's not a good match to the Quilter though!

User Info Menu

This video was just added to YT that shows some of the overdrive tones of the Quilter OD200.

he has the treble too high when playing through the od200 overdrive channel IMO...

User Info Menu

It sounds too high to me too, but it looks like the knob is only on about 4. That was my concern about the amp in general, being too bright. Jack, your clean clips don't sound bright like that. Where do you run the treble control?

i have the treble really low, like on 2. But I also roll the tone control down on all my guitars. I do this regardless of the amp. I hate the sound of a bridge pickup without the tone rolled down.

User Info Menu

I guess I got lost in the multiple posts but what exactly is the "prototype" that won't be built. The amp? The cab? I see reference to the OD 200 and the Dock Block but those are available via Q's website.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I guess I got lost in the multiple posts but what exactly is the "prototype" that won't be built. The amp? The cab? I see reference to the OD 200 and the Dock Block but those are available via Q's website.
    it's a combo amp, not used in any recordings i've posted.

here's a couple totally different sounds from the quilter (and pedals)

User Info Menu

any estimate on when these will be up for sale? also, randomly, do you use your right hand pinky?

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    any estimate on when these will be up for sale? also, randomly, do you use your right hand pinky?
    Are you talking about the guitar or the amp? If the amp, they are available right now. If the guitar,
    currently, they are special order as are most of the seventy seven line. They work a bit differently than the big factories. They don't make a run of hundreds of guitars and fulfill dealer requests they way gibson or fender does. Most of their work is fulfilled per order. You can contact Eiichi Yamamoto for more details (https://www.facebook.com/EiichiYamam...sDistribution/)

And yes, i use all the fingers of my right hand for hybrid playing. I'm trying to change my pick technique so I don't touch the little finger down which would make it easier but I haven't quite nailed that yet...

User Info Menu

thanks! sorry, replied to wrong thread—i did mean the guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by petermelton
    Same Peter. That's what happens when you push for a vintage style one channel combo and then go on vacation haha. You come back with your face on a cardboard box. The Pete's Special is an experiment to see if people will buy one channel combo amps from us for $699. I'm a big fan of the 101 Reverb with that cab and speaker so that's how that happened. That's what I gig with.

The clean channel on the Overdrive 200 is the same as the 101 Reverb. You are correct. The mid is flat on five, decreasing it does the Blackface scoop and increasing it boosts the mid frequency range found in Dumbles. The bass control should be essentially identical to your Fender. Pat voiced the treble control just a little wider so it isn't so spikey.
    I found this very useful (also Jack's thoughts on the amp. I already loved my Quilter but always reassuring to have your opinion endorsed by an outstanding player).

I have a Micropro Mach 2 HD. I like it a lot but use it as if it were a single clean channel amp. I use pedals for distortion. No reflection on the distorted sounds on the amp, I've just found it easier to continue using pedals I know and like. I haven't spent a lot of time exploring the amps own distortions.

I'm now thinking of getting a lightweight head, mainly for situations (some gigs and rehearsals) where back line is provided and I'm happy to use one of the cabs provided but prefer to use a familiar amp. Back-up too of course.

I really like the clean sounds Jack is getting from the OD200 but it seems the 101 Reverb should sound the same if (as seems probable) I carry on with the clean amp plus pedals format.

User Info Menu

Jack, what other Quilter head is closest to the OD 200's clean sound? The 101 Reverb?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Jack, what other Quilter head is closest to the OD 200's clean sound? The 101 Reverb?
    yes, those are the 2 amps that utilize the dumble tone stack. The dumble tone stack is pretty much identical to a BF fender amp.

The 101 does not have the lead channel however.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack, it sounds great.

I agree with Entresz' comment... "It's very hard to find anything but heavy metal demos/reviews about this amp." but I'll add to that most every other amp I hear nowadays online is in the same boat.

I've looked at the OD200 as well as the Micropro and have never even seen either locally but EVERY amp I've played with a "Gain" or other some such control the "volume" control (if it had one) was ineffective until the gain was turned up and clean invariably went away.

It seems that quilter has a problem with the word volume, preferring Gain, output, master, boost, which are all consistently inconsistent across their product line. Add to that they have cutsie names for EQ controls that steer me away.

So, amps with a gain, overdrive, crunch, or other idiotic descriptor in place of a volume control THEN making any "gain" control inextricably linked to the power output while adding distortion is immediately relegated to the "I'm not interested" category because a $500 and up mistake on an internet purchase is not in my future purchase plans.