The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Could somebdy who owns 175VOS shed some light on wiring / electrics: do they still use shielding cans for the pots and jack? What pickups do they put in? Did anybody feel the urge to mod it to improve the sound / shielding / bringing it closer to the original?
    Many thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aborodya
    Could somebdy who owns 175VOS shed some light on wiring / electrics: do they still use shielding cans for the pots and jack? What pickups do they put in? Did anybody feel the urge to mod it to improve the sound / shielding / bringing it closer to the original?
    Many thanks!
    I remember Lawson once posted pictures of the inside and the electronics of his 175 VOS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aborodya
    Many thanks!
    I had a 2013 ES-175 VOS 1PU and it did not have shielding cans. I had to change a failed volume pot so I know. I didn’t have any problems with shielding, no buzz, no hum.

It had a 57 Classic pu in it. I tried several pickups in it – and ended to the stock pickup.

From 2014 on they had the MHS humbuckers in them.

User Info Menu

Is there a better or worser year of the ES-175 1959 VOS? I owned one from 2015 which was figured sunburst. No matter which strings i put on it felt like rubber bands. It sounded nice through the amp, but i was to much noise from the frets. I changed frets to medium jumbo, but still nothing happend. Coulden`t do hard picking on ot before the tone was flat. Thats not the case with my ES-175 from 1980. That one rings more out. I really like to have a VOS 59 again, but what year should i go for?

Best
    Bård Norway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brdjazz123
    Is there a better or worser year of the ES-175 1959 VOS? I owned one from 2015 which was figured sunburst. No matter which strings i put on it felt like rubber bands. It sounded nice through the amp, but i was to much noise from the frets. I changed frets to medium jumbo, but still nothing happend. Coulden`t do hard picking on ot before the tone was flat. Thats not the case with my ES-175 from 1980. That one rings more out. I really like to have a VOS 59 again, but what year should i go for?

Best
    Bård Norway
    Hi Bård! Greetings from Finland!

I have played only 2 or 3 59VOS’s and I am afraid it is not the year but an individual instrument. The wood is always a bit random material.

But of course it is possible that the overall structure of the 59RI VOS is not for You. I had one for over five years and beside the smaller frets it had thinner top than my other ES-175s.

All those years I had it I searched The 175 Sound but to my ears couldn’t get it. So I sold it and now I have a 1984 Mahogany version and a 1954 Reissue from 2000s and couldn’t be happier.

User Info Menu

Heja Bård!

Mine is a 2014, by far the most pleasant archtop ever, and I've had a few. I believe they made some period-correct adjustments in beveling etc. for 2015. Also period-correct is the kerfed bracing. My endoscope reveals that the longitudinal top braces have been cut about halfway. Perhaps, here's another source to some unit-by-unit sponginess variance. BTW, I really don't care about the guitar's acoustic properties, as I've been in love with the 175 as an electric guitar from, I guess, 1959.

User Info Menu

I have been looking at the '59 Es-175 VOS for many years now. I've always wanted to pair it with my figured 2010 Es-175, which I play a lot and like very much. So I found out that a very well know music shop in my country had a USED blonde '59 Es-175 selling for almost 4300 euros in (according to the shop) MINT conditions. I thought about it for a few days, then I decided that I could not buy sight-unseen at such a price, so I took the train and traveled more than 400 km because I wanted to try the guitar and, possibly, buy it. When I arrived and I was given the guitar, I looked at the guitar, played just a few notes and my immediate reaction was that I didn't like that guitar. I don't know what it was: old strings, an old mediocre amp, some cosmetic issues, generic sound. I kept playing it but I really could not bond with it. Having made such a long journey just to try a guitar, I asked if I could try some other guitars, so I played an Ibanez JSM (Scofield model), which I liked, and also a '64 Gibson 335 (Custom Shop), which I also liked very much, and I might have considered purchasing it if the guitar had not had a Bigsby, which I do not use. Eventually I also tried some really expensive acoustic guitars (Martin 000 price ~ 7000 euros).
    So, to my disappointment for the 175 , I did not buy it, took the train and went back home. Overall, it was an instructional experience, a bit expensive for the train ticket.

User Info Menu

Sweet guitar. Enjoy it! It’s hard to believe Gibby isn’t making the 175. I can’t believe this doesn’t reverse soon……of course, I could be dead wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I have been looking at the '59 Es-175 VOS for many years now. I've always wanted to pair it with my figured 2010 Es-175, which I play a lot and like very much. So I found out that a very well know music shop in my country had a USED blonde '59 Es-175 selling for almost 4300 euros in (according to the shop) MINT conditions. I thought about it for a few days, then I decided that I could not buy sight-unseen at such a price, so I took the train and traveled more than 400 km because I wanted to try the guitar and, possibly, buy it. When I arrived and I was given the guitar, I looked at the guitar, played just a few notes and my immediate reaction was that I didn't like that guitar. I don't know what it was: old strings, an old mediocre amp, some cosmetic issues, generic sound. I kept playing it but I really could not bond with it. Having made such a long journey just to try a guitar, I asked if I could try some other guitars, so I played an Ibanez JSM (Scofield model), which I liked, and also a '64 Gibson 335 (Custom Shop), which I also liked very much, and I might have considered purchasing it if the guitar had not had a Bigsby, which I do not use. Eventually I also tried some really expensive acoustic guitars (Martin 000 price ~ 7000 euros).
    So, to my disappointment for the 175 , I did not buy it, took the train and went back home. Overall, it was an instructional experience, a bit expensive for the train ticket.
    I don't blame you. When I got mine, it was not love at first play, but a switch to a TOM bridge made it a GREAT guitar for me! That, and a little magic to deal with a slight neck hump and twist. Now, it's what I always wanted in a 175. Too bad you couldn't take it home to mess with for a few days... might still have been a dud, but who knows?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I don't blame you. When I got mine, it was not love at first play, but a switch to a TOM bridge made it a GREAT guitar for me! That, and a little magic to deal with a slight neck hump and twist. Now, it's what I always wanted in a 175. Too bad you couldn't take it home to mess with for a few days... might still have been a dud, but who knows?
    When I got my 59 VOS ES 175 in the CME sale around 2016 I considered getting a 2nd bridge with a TOM as an additional option to use. I had originally ordered a Memphis Figured 175 that had issues and I returned. I had liked it though. I never heard of anyone else actually doing it until now.

User Info Menu

What kind of issues did it have?

User Info Menu

I have a pair of 2016 175’s; a ‘59 VOS with a rosewood bridge and TI flat wounds and a Figured with the ABR bridge and TI round wounds. Makes for 2 very different guitars.

Is the TOM bridge different from the ABR?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz

Is the TOM bridge different from the ABR?
    Two terms for the same thing!

(TOM = tune-o-matic)

User Info Menu

Of course it is!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    When I got my 59 VOS ES 175 in the CME sale around 2016 I considered getting a 2nd bridge with a TOM as an additional option to use. I had originally ordered a Memphis Figured 175 that had issues and I returned. I had liked it though. I never heard of anyone else actually doing it until now.
    Got more clarity and sustain out of it. Slightly less old school tone, but my L5 has a TOM, so figured why not try it, plus Metheny, Kreisberg, lots of others use them. Paid off for me, taking it from slightly lifeless to a much fuller frequency spectrum. Cheap and reversible upgrade, try it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Two terms for the same thing!

(TOM = tune-o-matic)
    And ABR = Adjustable Bridge.

The original ABR-1 had the notorious wire which causes odd buzz and grey hair for guitarists.

Modern versions (Faber, KMS, Callahan, ABM etc) of ABR-1 don't have the buzzing wire, which is nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Got more clarity and sustain out of it. Slightly less old school tone, but my L5 has a TOM, so figured why not try it, plus Metheny, Kreisberg, lots of others use them. Paid off for me, taking it from slightly lifeless to a much fuller frequency spectrum. Cheap and reversible upgrade, try it!
    I just might. There are nice aged ABR’s out there that would match. Although last night I was playing my 59 VOS through a 5E3 Fender Deluxe build with a Topanga reverb pedal and that woody thunk, which recently has grown on me, may make me keep it as is. I have other guitars for that metal bridge vibe.