The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72

User Info Menu

Reverb (room or hall) and once in a while, delay, though never at the same time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot
    Currently running a Soul Food for a little thickening/hair, and have a Holy Grail Neo just for the Plate Reverb when I don't want the spring reverb built into the amp. Not sure if I need anything else but might add a delay pedal...

This is the exact same setup I use. I find that with the Soul Food set with only a touch of drive and the tone setting mostly backed off gives a fatness and body to the higher register that is very pleasant.
    This has been most noticeable when I have a Strat on the neck p/u connected to the rig.

None of my amps have effects in them, and after several different reverb pedals, I found the Holy Grail to work well for me.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised no one has mentioned EQ. I play through a clarus/raezers edge combo, and use a Barb-B-Q EQ pedal as well as a reverb pedal. I love how flat the Clarus/RE amp is (I primarily use it for upright bass), these two pedals really get pretty close to a classic fender amp sound for me.

I use pretty close to the "Grant Green" setting on the EQ pedal.

User Info Menu

Ring modulator. Always on.

Funnily enough, I'm pretty quiet at the moment. Anyone got any gigs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

I've got 3 in the next 2 weeks, which is good (for me)!

User Info Menu

Sounds like the eclectic Gilad Hekselman is using a ring modulator here. He plays straight, highly effected, and anywhere in between.

User Info Menu

Open to them.

Love them in some settings.

Own a bunch of them.

Never use them on gigs.

IMO there are few players that have done the work to really leverage the use of effects. You certainky can’t hide behind them.

I still get a thrill hearing the strong, clean sound of a jazz guitar with a rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I've got 3 in the next 2 weeks, which is good (for me)!
    Well I guess that joke didn’t connect lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Yea. Most of us do this. Usually combined with a reverse loop.

Not looking for jazz gigs. Too busy giving conversational latin lessons.

User Info Menu

LOL I'm slow

User Info Menu

I go into a Boss EQ (set flat as a boost), then an AX8 with a Fuchs Plush drive in the loop into my Boogie Mark IV. Sometimes they are all off, sometimes not In the guitar rack next to my chair (which is directly in front of my amp so I can read the little letters over the dials ) I've got 2 Teles, a Strat, then my Ibanezes: Jem, AS-200 and FA-100, and my Emerald acoustic. I like playing different guitars and just can't commit full time to one style of playing or one guitar. I'm just as happy butchering Joe Pass or Larry Carlton as I am butchering Steve Vai or Brad Paisley

User Info Menu

Tomorrow, I start playing in a group that's playing a lot of wayne shorter and later miles davis tunes and the band leader as asked me to gear up (he heard good things about my usage of pedals in free improv scenarios). So I'm thinking of having some light drive, chorus, delay and reverb. The idea with these is to have each of them just so that you can barely tell they are there (thinking a john abercrombie type of sound). For the delay, I have an expression pedal to control the amount of feedback, so that I can get sounds to sustain longer if I want (useful for the wayne shorter tunes with long held notes).

Also, in the past couple of years I've been playing tunes by "free jazz" saxophonists who have a very dirty, almost overdriven sound: Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, and Pharoah Sanders. I had a very hard time trying to get a sound that fit those styles by just plugging my guitar into the amp. For Ayler, light overdrive with modulate slapback really got me close to where I wanted to be. For Pharoah I used a fuzz pedal into a randomly modulated chorus (sounded like Metheny on drugs). On some of Pharoah's ballad stuff that I played lead on I used a sampler that plays back at multiple speeds, kind of like what Bill Frisell used in those recordings with Paul Motian and Joe Lovano. For ornette, just some enough OD to compress/saturate my notes. Sometimes shit gets crazy in the free improv world and I use a little secret weapon that glitches my signal into sounding like a scratched CD. Yeah - not for everyone.

I know these are extreme cases, but yes I use effects depending on the style I'm playing. If I were playing swing, or a grant green bluesy or hardbop sound I probably wouldn't touch pedals. Also I practice I like to go straight into the amp because I love the simplicity. Pedals in the practice room can be really distracting, but sometime necessary if they're part of the sound you're trying to achieve.

User Info Menu

One thing that I will say about pedals that is really annoying is that signal degradation is true. One time I assembled what I should would be a simple pedalboard but then once my signal passed through the pedals by tone was absolutely terrible. The solution of course was to put more pedals in from of the effects: compression, boost, and eq. By then every time I looked down at the number of knobs at my feet I got sick to my stomach.

Oh and freeze effects are really cool and useful when you want to fill space with something that doesn't have a rhythmic value.

User Info Menu

yes, delay, reverb, chorus, overdrive (several flavors), wah, envelope filter, octave, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I use pretty close to the "Grant Green" setting on the EQ pedal.
    What are the Grant Green settings?

User Info Menu

I have A/B'ed the tone of my ME50 multieffects unit vs. direct to the amp. I haven't re-done the comparison for the more recent ME80.

But, here's what I found for the ME50.

The tone, with all effects off was not quite the same as the true bypass, but it was so close that I saw no need for a true bypass.

Note, the ME80 always routes the signal through the volume pedal even in tuner mode. I seem to recall that tuner mode in the ME50 was closer to true bypass, but I'm not sure about that.

User Info Menu

Here's my basic setup, it get's me a good clean and OD sounds out of most any amp. The Sarno tube buffer gives me that 'interactive' feel of a good classic amp. I have the Earth Drive set with the output cranked and slight overdrive, always on as a boost pedal, and the volume pedal at the end of the chain (but pre reverb), as a master level control (I start the gig with VP level at 75%) I got the boost and volume pedal strategy from John Abercrombie. The Solar Flare is set for a singing, sustained overdrive and used as needed. It's powered by a Zuma R300 that's good with 100v-240v, and the buffer is modded with an internal US/Euro switch, and it goes in a briefcase bag that fits under the seat on most planes. If necessary, I can plug in a 'special effect' before the VP, but this has me covered on most any gig.
    Do you use/like effects for jazz?-img_4422-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artdecade
    What are the Grant Green settings?
    Treble: Minimum

Midrange: Maximum

Bass: Minimum

(Flat EQ response)

User Info Menu

Spring reverb, when it is working.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Kurt enjoys a pedal or two...

As does Mr. Bill!

User Info Menu

I almost always have some delay or reverb going on and light compression. (I am playing a Tele or Parkers.) I also like my trusty Morley volume pedal. It's great for getting in touch with my inner cowboy or Terje Rypdal, depending on my mood.

User Info Menu

i am a delay addict:

Last edited by dogletnoir; 06-15-2019 at 09:04 AM.