The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hello good people of this forum

I was given a good offer on a mint condition AR503 and since I`m in the market for a single humbucker (I prefer the neck tone and the bridge pickup gets in the way of my picking hand a lot I noticed.) archtop I am tempted to make the purchase. I`d be very glad for any impressions you guys may have about the model or the brand in general. Would be interested in the tone you guys get from this guit because I don`t trust those youtube vids too much.

Regards,
    Timothy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't say anything about that specific model but I have an AR372CE and the quality and craftsmanship is everything you could wish for.

User Info Menu

I have a T145, which is a hollow thinline, 1.75" deep, carved top, single humbucker in the neck. It's a great guitar, surprisingly loud acoustically for a thinline, louder than my flat-tops. It's a great-sounding guitar, and I could live with it alone if I had to. I think I would probably prefer a T146, which is 16" across compared to 15" for the T145, but that's a quibble. It's no longer offered, so the T146 is mostly all that is available. This is the only Eastman I have played, but it's a very nice guitar even at full list for a new one, and great at a used price for a nice example. Eastman's quality control seems to be excellent except for the electronics, which from anecdotal input via the internet seems to be a little dodgy, and mine was as well. The pickup was wired incorrectly, which made the sound sort of meh when amplified. A rewire solved that problem, and now it sings. Eastman's carved tops seem to be done well, and if you like that sound they're very good. I haven't played any Eastman laminates, though.

User Info Menu

I've had an AR403ce (same guitar but all laminated maple) for 5 years now.
    I have roundwound 12s on it (Elixir Nanowebs).
    With a minor pro setup, it plays like a dream. Punches way above its price point.
    It's a bit bright, but that's easily tamed with the guitar's tone and volume controls and the amp (Henriksen JazzAmps and/or DV Mark Little Jazz).
    And it's quite pretty as well!
    Here's a brief ampless demo I posted on Youtube a while back. (Watch it on YouTube for description of how the recording was done.)

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR810ce. It's a beautiful guitar. Great neck, really nice acoustic tone.
    But I don't like the pickup, so I only play it acoustic. The electronics work fine, but I feel like the pickup just doesn't convey the rich tone of the guitar. I've considered upgrading the pickup, but since I'm ruthlessly downsizing my guitar collection, I'm gonna sell it when I get around to it. Super nice guitar, but it's not on my long term keeper list.

User Info Menu

That's what I thought about the T145 when I first got it. Nice guitar, but it didn't sound as good as I thought it should. I changed the pickup a couple of times, but it still wasn't great. I put it up for sale on Reverb after having it in the case for a long time, and started to put the original pickup back in. The wiring just didn't look right, so I checked the Armstrong website for the wiring diagram, and it had been wired incorrectly. A few minutes with a soldering iron made it right, and after playing it that way, I cancelled the Reverb sale. It's a keeper I don't plan on parting with. I don't know why it's so hard for the Chinese to follow a wiring diagram. The first Wu I got was wired so badly that it sounded really terrible. It was entirely because of incorrect wiring.

User Info Menu

I have the ar403 which is quite similar to the 503, I've played both and there is not a lot of difference. It is now probably my favorite guitar to the point where I feel guilty about not playing my Hofner, ES-339 and Tele's anymore. Based on my experience I would recommend Eastman's to anyone looking for good value in an archtop, Eastman's really have their own "thing" going, don't expect a Gibsonish clone - light weight builds, lively, modern neck contour and scale length, "different" finishes (that some hate). I think they play and sound beautiful, which is the bottom-line for most people.

User Info Menu

I am looking at their bigger semis -mostly hollow like the 186 MX with just the tiny block. 1.75" thick.

Here's what happens at 2.25" thick:

So it should also sustain and bloom like a 335 when needed in addition to what this guy is doing .

And a darker overwound PAF than the Lollar PU on here with a parallel switch to get back to this crispy tone , probably.

Can the 186MX do this as well ?
    Because 186MX is easier to get.
    I suspect 186 MX is not as even from low to high strings as the Elite SH.

I think the default for Semis should be 2 to 2.25 " not the thin ones.

But I am not in charge ...lol.

They only carry the Eastman Acoustics where I am.

Can't get my hands on one yet but I will eventually .

User Info Menu

My AR-810CE-7 (7 string archtop, single floating pickup I replaced with a Benedetto) is a real piece of art of the highest standards, and I say this as a builder. It has the piano like balance I've only heard on the best hand carved and tuned archtops. I've also worked on many other models. A few observations:
    The finish, especially on the earlier ones, is beautiful and resonant but brittle. It chipped off easily. I haven't seen as many of these problems recently though, so I can't speak for what they're doing now.
    The string spacing on mine and some others is wider than standard Gibson. Maybe closer to the wider spacing of my Johnny Smith, great for chordal, but maybe not as fast for single line work some players prefer.
    The electronics were a weak point, especially if your guitar has a 1/4" input jack, have a switchcraft replacement. Do a rewire completely if you can.
    Great build, surprisingly flimsy fittings, with some work, a really great acoustic quality and lively body sound that translates to a really sophisticated amplified sound.
    Have the frets dressed and fret ends tended within a year. At least here in New England, there's a lot of shift in the fingerboard wood and once addressed, you're in for a keeper. In my opinion.

David

User Info Menu

Hi T1
    Whilst looking for a 503 I came across a 405 just a few months old for half price stunning looks for colour and grain so I bought it. Deeper laminated non cutaway body which I expected to have a more complex and sweeter tone. During negotiations I was offered an older but mint 403 from a friend, I just had to have it. The 403 is the laminated version of the 503 which apparently most Jazzers prefer as the 503 can be too bright. The tone is wonderful, smooth & mellow with well defined notes and a fulness of character the defies belief, it outshines the 405 as well as the 175 Premium (now sold). The 1.75" nut and 25" scale give just enough extra space for fat and clumsy fingers to make a difference. If you get a chance try the 503 and 403 to make you final choice and good luck, Eastman guitars are brilliant.

Eastman AR503-dscn0530-jpg
    Merry Christmas
    Graham
    Attached Images Attached Images Eastman AR503-dscn0531-jpg Eastman AR503-dscn0532-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I have an Eastman AR810ce. It's a beautiful guitar. Great neck, really nice acoustic tone.
    But I don't like the pickup, so I only play it acoustic. The electronics work fine, but I feel like the pickup just doesn't convey the rich tone of the guitar. I've considered upgrading the pickup, but since I'm ruthlessly downsizing my guitar collection, I'm gonna sell it when I get around to it. Super nice guitar, but it's not on my long term keeper list.
    I had a similar situation. I changed out the stock pick-up for an Armstrong hand built and loved the tone. The workmanship and the design of this archtop are in the same league as those being sold for twice the price. The shop charged me $140.00 to change the pickup. Bargain.

Cincy

User Info Menu

I have an AR503 and it's my go to guitar when I don't plug in
    Really loud
    Really nice
    Really easy to playEastman AR503-dsc_0017-jpg
    You can't go wrong with these.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow-G
    Hi T1
    Whilst looking for a 503 I came across a 405 just a few months old for half price stunning looks for colour and grain so I bought it. Deeper laminated non cutaway body which I expected to have a more complex and sweeter tone. During negotiations I was offered an older but mint 403 from a friend, I just had to have it. The 403 is the laminated version of the 503 which apparently most Jazzers prefer as the 503 can be too bright. The tone is wonderful, smooth & mellow with well defined notes and a fulness of character the defies belief, it outshines the 405 as well as the 175 Premium (now sold). The 1.75" nut and 25" scale give just enough extra space for fat and clumsy fingers to make a difference. If you get a chance try the 503 and 403 to make you final choice and good luck, Eastman guitars are brilliant.

Eastman AR503-dscn0530-jpg
    Merry Christmas
    Graham
    As someone mentioned, the string spacing becomes apparent if you ever try swapping bridges, its not a deal killer but the post width is different enough that a different base is needed for standard TOM widths (at least on my ar403). I wasn't sure how I would like the 25" scale but now I'm sold on it and its my preferred scale length here on out.

The two models I have yet to try (and would really like to) is the ar605ce or ar680 with mahog back and sides, those aren't too common.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have a T145, which is a hollow thinline, 1.75" deep, carved top, single humbucker in the neck. It's a great guitar, surprisingly loud acoustically for a thinline, louder than my flat-tops. It's a great-sounding guitar, and I could live with it alone if I had to. I think I would probably prefer a T146, which is 16" across compared to 15" for the T145, but that's a quibble. It's no longer offered, so the T146 is mostly all that is available. This is the only Eastman I have played, but it's a very nice guitar even at full list for a new one, and great at a used price for a nice example. Eastman's quality control seems to be excellent except for the electronics, which from anecdotal input via the internet seems to be a little dodgy, and mine was as well. The pickup was wired incorrectly, which made the sound sort of meh when amplified. A rewire solved that problem, and now it sings. Eastman's carved tops seem to be done well, and if you like that sound they're very good. I haven't played any Eastman laminates, though.
    Every time I hear a demo of that Guitar- it sounds deep and dark in a good way - like a bigger Guitar...
    And seems to have long sustain that Archtops are not supposed to have but I never heard anyone really play it for bloom ...

Is this your experience with it ?

User Info Menu

It's louder and better sounding acoustically than one would expect. It's only 1.75" deep at the rims, but it's actually louder than my flat-tops. The tone is relatively bright, unsurprisingly, and others I have sound better unamplified, but it's not bad. Amplified, it's rich due to the carved top, which vibrates and provides multiple overtones as it moves the pickup under the vibrating strings. I think it sounds bigger and better than my Epi 175 Premium and other full-depth archtops. The tone is surprisingly good for a thinline. The pickup does make a big difference, as it does with any guitar. As I've said, this is one of the guitars I don't plan on selling. The others I'll always keep have sentimental value, but this one has no sentimental value, it's just a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks . I saw a demo on a 2 pickup version.

It had a lot of resonance also as you describe . But deep plugged in in a good way .

For a small Guitar - it almost sounds like he's in neck when in middle Pos..then he flips to neck only and it is fat for a 15" 1.75" .

And the bridge position is actually useable - hear all 3 positions . I normally dislike Bridge PUs. Usually my music has no spots for banging a frying pan on RR Tracks type tones

Another one was the same way.

Something about the neck joining at a lower fret and the single cutaway makes neck PU fatter sounding maybe ?

I kind of like the slight muddiness/microphonics of the KA pickups..lol

I only use neck and middle PU - but I can use small amounts of bridge PU -probably.

On a single neck only PU Guitar - I would probably have a tech do a series/parallel/ single toggle.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-30-2018 at 11:18 AM.

User Info Menu

That's an SMD, meaning double pickup. Mine has only a neck pickup. I have no use, ever, for a bridge pickup. YMMV. The pickup on mine lost the muddiness once I rewired it to the correct configuration. As I said above, I had it listed for sale on Reverb but pulled it once I got the pickup corrected. Now I don't plan on selling.

User Info Menu

Really, a used Eastman at a good price is a very low risk deal. Chances are you will love it. All the positives already mentioned are true in my opinion. Even if you don't bond, you can flip it and get your money back give or take.

I have three of their steel string acoustics and they are all wonderful especially at the price points I paid. I bought all three used from local Craigslist sellers.

One day I'd love to try an Eastman arch top.

User Info Menu

A good Eastman guitar can be as good as anything on the market. However, that said, you may have to kiss a few frogs before finding your prince. I've played many Eastmans with neck humps or twists that couldn't be remedied with a fret dressing. Such is the risk one takes with mass produced, solid wood, hand made guitars.

User Info Menu

Is that on Models with 3 piece necks also ?

User Info Menu

I bought a used 805CE a few weeks ago and can't put it down. It is a remarkable instrument. Very resonant with a great acoustic sound. I was surprised in the difference between this and my Ibanez semi-hollows. High string tension with flat wounds combined with really low action. The Eastman's have a lot of extra room for the right hand than other guitars. Great for finger style.

I do have a few complaints. They got a little sloppy in some places with the binding. However, it doesn't affect the way that it plays, or the sound. It is also very prone to feedback. It seems like I need to keep the gain at absolute minimum, which is generally what you want for an archtop.

I would definitely recommend Eastman based on the overall playing experience. Great instrument.

User Info Menu

I now have two Eastman guitars, the other is a solid wood AC OM1 acoustic. Interesting instruments. Both have a very natural woody tone, like playing a hollow log. I haven't played anything quite like it. I speculate that it is a result of the evolution from being a violin maker.I am a little turned off of the 805 right now. There is a buzz that I can't seem to identify or remedy.

User Info Menu

My 503 is my favourite guitar for a plugged-in sound. And it's also great for couch playing while unplugged. A really excellent guitar.

User Info Menu

Archtop buzzes can be difficult to pin down, because there are so many possibilities. There are a few threads on this forum discussing them.

User Info Menu

FYI, I recently sold my 805CE. I couldn't take the buzz and no one could seem to identify or fix it. It seems to change at random. Really weird. I am really fussy with buzzes so I wasn't playing it. I will probably get another hollow body at some point, but sticking to semi-hollow and solid for now.