Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

SUCKS!!
    I friggin hate it!
    Its like eating Lobster, every night.. From Dimillo's in Maine. Yeah its great, but enough already. Id like have some Filet Mignon. Or even some Chicken. All kidding aside.. I love this guitar. But I need some variety. Soon.
    For now, here is a video. I've been learning this song for about 2 years. Its been stuck in me bucket list. I like the dynamics. When I play the guitar with force using the Bassman Simulation, the recording distorts a little. I should stick with the delicate picking.

I hope you like..

I am taking a break from Videos for a while. The next one will be after we move. Say goodbye to the Guitar room. I hope the new Guitar room is nice. I hope its not Pink..

Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great work, Joe. I know what it's like when you only have one toy. Still if you have to have at least one guitar, a Heritage isn't too bad and a Johnny Smith just adds to it. Good luck in your new home. Have a great Christmas and an even better 2019.

User Info Menu

Don't worry, Joe. Pink is red mixed with white. Add in some blues, and it will be fine.

User Info Menu

When you are moving house you would be glad to have only one guitar. Keep it in your sight at all times during the move.

Sounds great, Max405. You make everything sound great and that sounds like a backhanded compliment but it ain't.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

User Info Menu

always liked that exodus melody...got a bit hot towards the end, but nice nevertheless...hope to see you in a new room with another guitar that inspires your wonderful playing in the near future..tho that one is just fine!! hah....merry xmas and happy new year Joe D

best of luck with all

cheers

User Info Menu

Merry Christmas brother. May your future be so bright that you will need shades (particularly so your eyes are protected when staring at the beautiful sunburst guitars that will come your way)

User Info Menu

I made my truck into a guitar mover... Y'know in case we are going to get smacked by a hurricane. Anyway food for thought :-)

Life With Only 1 Guitar..-silverado_topper-jpg

Life With Only 1 Guitar..-silverado_topper1-jpg
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Great playing and thanks for sharing Joe. Having one guitar is not a bad thing - it enables you to perfect your skills on one fingerboard - and the HJS is a perfect fit. Hope the move goes smoothly - and happy Holidays to you and the family.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    I made my truck into a guitar mover... Y'know in case we are going to get smacked by a hurricane. Anyway food for thought :-)

Life With Only 1 Guitar..-silverado_topper-jpg

Life With Only 1 Guitar..-silverado_topper1-jpg
    And that's why I sold off a ton of my guitars. I lived in Navarre Florida in the Panhandle. Every time a hurricane hit, it was torture to leave a bunch behind during an evac. That's when I stopped collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Great work, Joe. I know what it's like when you only have one toy. Still if you have to have at least one guitar, a Heritage isn't too bad and a Johnny Smith just adds to it. Good luck in your new home. Have a great Christmas and an even better 2019.
    HFC, Don’t get me wrong, I love what I got. I just can’t wait til I have more love to give.
    thank you buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Don't worry, Joe. Pink is red mixed with white. Add in some blues, and it will be fine.
    i got too many blues now. Don’t want no more blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    When you are moving house you would be glad to have only one guitar. Keep it in your sight at all times during the move.
    Sounds great, Max405. You make everything sound great and that sounds like a backhanded compliment but it ain't.
    Jabs, I never take what you say in a bad way. You are my boy, the methuselah of all things guitar.
    This guitar really does sound great. I am most proud of that. This sounds less bright than previous settings. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    always liked that exodus melody...got a bit hot towards the end, but nice nevertheless...hope to see you in a new room with another guitar that inspires your wonderful playing in the near future..tho that one is just fine!! hah....merry xmas and happy new year Joe D
    best of luck with all
    cheers
    to think, this is the runner up Jewish national anthem and it was written by Pat Boone! I love the melody too. Ever since I saw the movie when I was little. It stuck with me. It is very powerful. It does seem too hard to play but it is difficult to play over and over without mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Merry Christmas brother. May your future be so bright that you will need shades (particularly so your eyes are protected when staring at the beautiful sunburst guitars that will come your way)
    Merry Christmas to you too bro. The future is looking bright. I’ve got nothing to complain about. Life is what you make it. And I am not done yet. I think I have another good 25-30 years of enjoyment before shit starts fallin apart. JD

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Great playing and thanks for sharing Joe. Having one guitar is not a bad thing - it enables you to perfect your skills on one fingerboard - and the HJS is a perfect fit. Hope the move goes smoothly - and happy Holidays to you and the family.
    QA, Thank you sir. Remember, it’s all in the nut. That’s what you taught me. It’s so true. Once you get that right, the rest of the neck can easily fall into place.
    As much as I bitch about it, it’s still the one guitar that I really love playing. It’s like a comfy spot. No obstacles. All perfection all over. Lobster from Maine. Sweet, big and tender. Like a marshmallow. Thanks QA.

User Info Menu

Joe,

What do you miss with the HJS that you can get with something else except variety? And what is the desire for variety about except distraction? And what is the drive for distraction about? Maybe the intense focus in practicing is exhausting.

Take a break!!

In the early days Johnny Smith had one guitar. He played it in the studio, on the air, and at his night gigs. Just the one guitar, day after day, many hours each.

Howard Roberts also was tortured by using the same guitar in long studio sessions.

Jimi Hendrix just had his Strat in his army days.

You can survive this, buddy. It's all mental.
    MG

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar, nice performance. If you can only have ONE right now, that's a pretty good ONE.
    It could be worse, you could be stuck with a Hello Kitty guitar or something (lol?)
    Good luck on the new digs!
    The Priviledge Of A Lifetime Is Being Who You Are - J. Campbell.

User Info Menu

As always, thanks for the vid Joe ! You just nail 'the sound'. Enjoyed your playing !

And it's always good to see / hear you here ! Good luck with the move.

And Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours !

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Joe,

What do you miss with the HJS that you can get with something else except variety? And what is the desire for variety about except distraction? And what is the drive for distraction about? Maybe the intense focus in practicing is exhausting.

Take a break!!

In the early days Johnny Smith had one guitar. He played it in the studio, on the air, and at his night gigs. Just the one guitar, day after day, many hours each.
    Howard Roberts also was tortured by using the same guitar in long studio sessions.
    MG my man, You are so absolutely right about everything. Basically, the boredom has been on my mind, I just had to share my thoughts and it was good excuse to post another video!
    Everything about what I am doing right now falls into the category of “the right thing”. But fellow gearheads, take note.. You can do it to. But it sucks. My liberated self has clarity though. I know what I want next. I like big guitars. With big sound and elegant appointments. Next up.. A big something.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP65 View Post
    Lovely guitar, nice performance. If you can only have ONE right now, that's a pretty good ONE.
    It could be worse, you could be stuck with a Hello Kitty guitar or something (lol?)
    Good luck on the new digs!
    thank you JPP. You are right. The HJS18 is my baby. I’m glad I still have that ONE. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    As always, thanks for the vid Joe ! You just nail 'the sound'. Enjoyed your playing !
    And it's always good to see / hear you here ! Good luck with the move.
    And Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours !
    Dennis
    DD, Thank you my good man.
    When I listen to the video, I hear the band behind me. That’s cool.
    Johnny is engrained in my brain. I wish I could have done the tribute album. Only problem, it would have sounded like Johnny with half the talent and polish. Might as well listen to the real thing!
    thank you Dennis. Have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy and healthy new year.

User Info Menu

Joe - Thank you for the inspiring music. The Rose is indeed a magnificent instrument. Best of luck with your journey to a new house. May it be your Happy Home. And may all your Holidays be Happy!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Man, I kept looking around the video trying to figure where all those notes were coming from - talk about solo guitar! You and the "git" sounded like a complete orchestra!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna deal you some tough love Joe... You deserve my honesty and nothing less. YOU are getting your affairs in order, getting the heavy yoke of that too large house off you and your wifes' shoulders. You're damn lucky to be able to do that. And you're luckier than many to have had such great guitars to play. And fortunate you found buyers when you woke up and started doing the right thing. I'm dishing more here... You're damn lucky I sold you that HJS, I didn't have to. So show me you're worthy of it. Tough up here and quit belly aching...

Don't lose sight of the fact after the house sells and you got your priorities straight and kept straight that there's your Gibson Herb Ellis sitting here and the HDAE waiting. BUT only after you get it together...

You all can climb all over me for dishing it to Joe, this place foments GAS in it's most irresponsible forms, nobody better than me knows that...

Love ya man, but quit whining...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Joe,

Take a break!!

User Info Menu

Joe
    There was a saying in the "old west" that went, "Beware the man who only wears one gun. He knows how to use it."
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Hey Mike, That’s a little over the top there dontcha think?
    Thats the kind of “tough love” I don’t think I really deserved. Re-read my post please. I wasn’t whining. I was pointing out that going from several guitars down to one really great one, really sucks.
    You said a lot of things in your post that we’re really uncalled for Mike. Not cool. I didn’t like that.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    I'm gonna deal you some tough love Joe... You deserve my honesty and nothing less...

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Joe - Thank you for the inspiring music. The Rose is indeed a magnificent instrument. Best of luck with your journey to a new house. May it be your Happy Home. And may all your Holidays be Happy!
    Thank you C74. You are a always a gentleman.
    Exodus is a very powerful song. Controversial too. I just love the way the melody is strung together. And the HJS18 sounds big enough to carry the message the way it was intended.
    Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Man, I kept looking around the video trying to figure where all those notes were coming from - talk about solo guitar! You and the "git" sounded like a complete orchestra!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.
    AlsoRan, Thanks for your beautiful post. The song seems easy at first. But for some reason, it’s a very difficult song to play because of the reason you pointed out. The HJS18 is like a symphony for sure.
    Happy Holidays to you too.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe
    There was a saying in the "old west" that went, "Beware the man who only wears one gun. He knows how to use it."
    Lawson, thanks buddy. If was alive in the old west, I’d have a belt FULL of hand grenades...
    i read something that said much of the lawlessness purported about the old west was dramatically overstated. The article said there was WAYY more crime and shootings back east. Perhaps because of the increased population, I don’t know..
    Thanks again buddy. I hope you are getting along with the 175 like you did with the 165. Those guitars found a GREAT home. They really did.

JD

User Info Menu

Gibson Johnny Smith is waiting as well, and enjoying the balmy breezes in Maui in the meantime..

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    I'm gonna deal you some tough love Joe... You deserve my honesty and nothing less. YOU are getting your affairs in order, getting the heavy yoke of that too large house off you and your wifes' shoulders. You're damn lucky to be able to do that. And you're luckier than many to have had such great guitars to play. And fortunate you found buyers when you woke up and started doing the right thing. I'm dishing more here... You're damn lucky I sold you that HJS, I didn't have to. So show me you're worthy of it. Tough up here and quit belly aching...

Don't lose sight of the fact after the house sells and you got your priorities straight and kept straight that there's your Gibson Herb Ellis sitting here and the HDAE waiting. BUT only after you get it together...

You all can climb all over me for dishing it to Joe, this place foments GAS in it's most irresponsible forms, nobody better than me knows that...

Love ya man, but quit whining...

Big

Quote Originally Posted by mauibob View Post
    Gibson Johnny Smith is waiting as well, and enjoying the balmy breezes in Maui in the meantime..
    Hi Bob, The GJS has already sent me signals from halfway across the world, saying there’s no chance she’ll ever want to come back to New Jersey!
    I hope the GJS is all you expected. When I owned it, it was a great contrast to play it after I played the HJS18. The Gibson is so precise. A very different guitar than the Big Heritage.
    Thanks Bob.

User Info Menu

As much as it might be a drag to have just the one guitar, at least you were able to select which one to keep after a long and productive trial process. It wasn’t externally imposed on you; you were in control. I could do the same and would be able to comfort myself with that knowledge - at least.
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

User Info Menu

Maui? New Jersey? Smart guitar!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Joe, and a happy new year! Sometimes problems end up being gifts, ya know? Getting out from under those issues may be a great present in the long run.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Sorry I hit the like button for big mikes post. I took it as tongue in cheek.

Your playing is super. Really dig it have a great Xmas
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post

Lawson, thanks buddy. If was alive in the old west, I’d have a belt FULL of hand grenades...
    i read something that said much of the lawlessness purported about the old west was dramatically overstated. The article said there was WAYY more crime and shootings back east. Perhaps because of the increased population, I don’t know..
    Thanks again buddy. I hope you are getting along with the 175 like you did with the 165. Those guitars found a GREAT home. They really did.

JD
    I love it indeed. It and the 165 seem to be liking each other. My other "figured" 175 I bought from CME I'm grooming for sale shortly after Christmas. No need to have two nearly identical guitars.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

I own 1 guitar. An ES`175. I don't feel bored. And I can't play guitar like you...but I feel blessed. Sure, I've owned many guitars. That too was a blessing. It's all a blessing. JD, you just reminded me too that I was blessed to have heard the music from the original Exodus in 1960. And all this time I thought the music must have been from a Clint Eastwood western. After all these years, thanks for setting me straight. Maybe it's high time I watched the movie. Paul Newman, Otto Preminger....okay, I'm in. Happy Holidays to you and yours JD!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Holy Moses Joe! The Sea Parted and Joe walked around the fretboard like Johnny Smith. Even better it really had a Joe D touch.

Nice!
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

i can't be the only person who wandered in here looking for a bob marley cover, right?

anyhow, when i first began my exile, i only had my guild m20, of all things, because it was my smallest guitar. so that's what i played. and i had myself a nice time. parameters and limitations can be great opportunities for creativity. can. you have to know how to exploit it, i guess. as time has gone on, i started experimenting and brought a few more guitars out of storage. and ironically, now i play even less. so once the experimentation ends, and i figure out my workflow and process, i'll probably put most back in storage. even back at my old place, when all my guitars were out, i had a similar process. i'd only play one or two for weeks at a time and then rotate them out. that way, they all stayed fresh, nothing got boring, i was able to appreciate and celebrate their differences and the ideas that those differences inspired.

so chin up, peanut butter cup. you'll be ok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Holy Moses Joe! The Sea Parted and Joe walked around the fretboard like Johnny Smith. Even better it really had a Joe D touch.

Nice!
    The most electric guitars I've ever owned at one time is 4, and that was too many for me. It's a psychological thing for me - too much stuff distracts me from figuring out music and gets me down a rabbit hole of thinking about stuff rather than music. At the same time, having more than one guitar is useful because I play different styles of music and make use of different sound palettes and instrument set-ups. So it's a matter of finding the right balance. I think owning multiple archtops that are subtly different from each other would drive me nuts, but obviously others can cope with that. All a roundabout way of saying cutting yourself down to one can be an opportunity.

John

User Info Menu

Great song and great book of the Bible which was written by Moses. There is where you will find the Ten Commandments. What a wonderful world this would be if mankind could only keep those 10 simple rules.
    Merry Christmas to all. Good job bro !

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
    As much as it might be a drag to have just the one guitar, at least you were able to select which one to keep after a long and productive trial process. It wasn’t externally imposed on you; you were in control. I could do the same and would be able to comfort myself with that knowledge - at least.
    Good point RP. I’m glad I was able to keep the Big Heritage. I would have really missed this guitar if I had to part with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Maui? New Jersey? Smart guitar!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Joe, and a happy new year! Sometimes problems end up being gifts, ya know? Getting out from under those issues may be a great present in the long run.
    Yeah C, when I was packing it up, it couldn’t wait to go for a ride. My Johnny is in a Paradise. When the HJS18 found out where GJS was going, I got a nasty look.. Like, A “why not me” kinda look..

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post
    Sorry I hit the like button for big mikes post. I took it as tongue in cheek.
    Your playing is super. Really dig it have a great Xmas
    GGG, its totally fine. I love Mike. He knows it. He has been a great friend to me. I’ll never forget the beautiful human being he is. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I love it indeed. It and the 165 seem to be liking each other. My other "figured" 175 I bought from CME I'm grooming for sale shortly after Christmas. No need to have two nearly identical guitars.
    I am glad Lawson. That’s a beautiful guitar in the hands of terrific man. Thank you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I own 1 guitar. An ES`175. I don't feel bored. And I can't play guitar like you...but I feel blessed. Sure, I've owned many guitars. That too was a blessing. It's all a blessing. JD, you just reminded me too that I was blessed to have heard the music from the original Exodus in 1960. And all this time I thought the music must have been from a Clint Eastwood western. After all these years, thanks for setting me straight. Maybe it's high time I watched the movie. Paul Newman, Otto Preminger....okay, I'm in. Happy Holidays to you and yours JD!
    Aww, thanks 2b. You have a great holiday too.

I learned that I am inspired by variety. I thought I was a gear head. But I am not. I love having something a little different to play my songs on. It makes me play more. The nuances of each guitar get me charged up.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Nice!
    Beautiful post Deacon. I have a lot of respect for you MC. I love having you participate in my threads. Class, all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    The most electric guitars I've ever owned at one time is 4, and that was too many for me. It's a psychological thing for me - too much stuff distracts me from figuring out music and gets me down a rabbit hole of thinking about stuff rather than music. At the same time, having more than one guitar is useful because I play different styles of music and make use of different sound palettes and instrument set-ups. So it's a matter of finding the right balance. I think owning multiple archtops that are subtly different from each other would drive me nuts, but obviously others can cope with that. All a roundabout way of saying cutting yourself down to one can be an opportunity.

John
    Thanks John. I appreciate your perspective. Before I have the different guitars right, they are a distraction.
    One thing is for sure. The necks have to be similar. Or else my hand cramps up fast. Not having to deal with that is a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Great song and great book of the Bible which was written by Moses. There is where you will find the Ten Commandments. What a wonderful world this would be if mankind could only keep those 10 simple rules.
    Merry Christmas to all. Good job bro !
    Vinny, it’s not right if you are not here with us. You being well and back with us makes everything perfect again. God gave us a manual. We need to follow it, then everything will fall into place.
    Thanks for being here bro. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Vinny, it’s not right if you are not here with us. You being well and back with us makes everything perfect again. God gave us a manual. We need to follow it, then everything will fall into place.
    Thanks for being here bro. Thank you.
    ditto..well said Joe D..per usual

merry xmas/holidays/peaceful days to all

cheers

Here is my saying ‘beware of the man with one guitar, he can probably play. You epitomize that saying. nice chops

User Info Menu

You have a very nice guitar and play it well.

Really, it's normal to want another but it is a fruitless quest for better tone, etc.
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates
    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” - Alan Wilson Watts

User Info Menu

And here I am, wishing I could live with only one... simplicity... like many of my heroes.... oh, Setzer has many Gretsches, but his Stray Cat 1959 6120 is all he needs... Campilongo has several, but his '59 toploader tele gets most of the time. Guthrie Trapp with his mint green partscaster. The list goes on & on...

I wish I was "just" a Charlie Christian/swing player, I could get by just fine with an ES-125 and EH-150. Or "just" a home player, I could easily live with only my #1 tele and a good tube amp (haven't decided on which yet). "Just" a blues player.... my problem is, I find being a chameleon fun. I enjoy playing Campilongo one day and Vai the next and Lukather the next and SRV the next. Serving many masters complicates things tho.

Sometimes I HATE the variety... too many guitars (and I only have 7!) .. pedals... amps.... sometimes I long for a great tube amp with reverb and my tele and a cord. That's it. Being in a band, I need other gear... many pedals for various textures, different guitars (because sometimes I need a whammy bar), an amp that's far too loud for home use but required for some gigs.....

Johnny Smith is a great example.... the biography is fantastic, and yes- ONE guitar for SO MUCH work....

User Info Menu

How much per pound??

That's a very nice stable you got!!

Sold separately mo mo money $$$ .......The Enabler
    MG

User Info Menu

I decided to pull that post. Joe has too much on his plate right now. This is not the right time to be dangling his future carrots.
    He knows what he wants.

Vinny,
    You could have kept the post bro.
    You are very thoughtful. Very thoughtful.
    I was wondering where it went. They are all beautiful. You will miss them when they are gone. I hope they stay where they belong. And for a long, long, long time.

User Info Menu

I am starting to look at my mortality. Their comes a time to downsize. Bro 10 years ago when I was your age I was in a buying frenzy. Boy did I have a great time as you will be having very, very soon. Their is a time and season for everything. A time to laugh and a time to cry a time to live and a time to die. I have a very obsessive personality. As I am aging I am realizing it is time to make life simpler. Too many guitars is becoming a sucker of my valuable time. To have more than you can possibly need is not good. Of course being a complete Guitaraholic I could never go below 6 but that is my downsizing goal.

I am starting to look at my mortality. Their comes a time to downsize. Bro 10 years ago when I was your age I was in a buying frenzy. Boy did I have a great time as you will be having very, very soon. Their is a time and season for everything. A time to laugh and a time to cry a time to live and a time to die. I have a very obsessive personality. As I am aging I am realizing it is time to make life simpler. Too many guitars is becoming a sucker of my valuable time. To have more than you can possibly need is not good. Of course being a complete Guitaraholic I could never go below 6 but that is my downsizing goal.
    I think your guitars are the best examples of quality that Gibson EVER had to offer. And because they stayed with you, they stayed that way and maybe got better. More polished, better setup and they burned in while being in a perfect environment. Anyone getting one of your guitars gets the pick of the litter. It cant get better. And it wont.
    I cant even think of a Jazz Guitar Forum without Vinny. And not having a friend I can pickup the phone and call and hear that sinister laugh you have. Down sizing is cool. But stay healthy and accessible. We need you right bro.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe D~ Your version of Exodus darn near brought tears to my eyes. Man, you play so sweetly. And the varied tonal timbres you bring out on your JS are simply amazing. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and a prosperous 2019.

User Info Menu

Exodus is a great song and Joe did a fantastic version. Check out Grant Green's version. Though just single line his groove and pocket timing just floors me as does his arpeggios on his version. Most people thought he was a very simple player which he was but he had this unbelievable sense of time. A true pocket player. He had a smaller bag of tricks than most but sure knew how to us them.
    Not trying to take away from Joe's stellar version but check out Grant's too on YouTube. Great guitar song indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler View Post
    You have a very nice guitar and play it well.
    Really, it's normal to want another but it is a fruitless quest for better tone, etc.
    It is a great guitar and I thank you for your nice post. I am content. Well, almost..
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar View Post
    Here is my saying ‘beware of the man with one guitar, he can probably play. You epitomize that saying. nice chops
    thank you Rhoadsscholar. If it had to be one, this one is perfect. Johnny’s signature, the Rose on the pickguard. I Couldn’t ask for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Joe D~ Your version of Exodus darn near brought tears to my eyes. Man, you play so sweetly. And the varied tonal timbres you bring out on your JS are simply amazing. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.
    I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and a prosperous 2019.
    Thank you Gitfiddler. I really appreciate that. The pleasure is all mine.
    Merry Christmas!

Exodus is a great song and Joe did a fantastic version. Check out Grant Green's version. Though just single line his groove and pocket timing just floors me as does his arpeggios on his version. Most people thought he was a very simple player which he was but he had this unbelievable sense of time. A true pocket player. He had a smaller bag of tricks than most but sure knew how to us them.
    Not trying to take away from Joe's stellar version but check out Grant's too on YouTube. Great guitar song indeed.
    bro, you and I both know, I couldn’t carry Grant Green’s jockstrap.
    Ive heard Grants version and I hear what you mean. I like Johnny’s better (which is where I snagged mine from) but both are great.
    I just got an EMail so I clipped off the last sentence.. congratulations SS.

User Info Menu

I just got an EMail so I clipped off the last sentence.. congratulations SS.
    Thanks JD. We need to keep the great archtops in the family.....

User Info Menu

A beautiful performance, OP, very lush.

I don't know you or what you're going through, but you're doing damned well with one guitar ... and ten fingers ... and two ears.

Wherever you land, may it be on two feet, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    A beautiful performance, OP, very lush.
    I don't know you or what you're going through, but you're doing damned well with one guitar ... and ten fingers ... and two ears.
    Wherever you land, may it be on two feet, bud.
    Thank you Thump.
    Just a pretty major downsizing. Everything is good.
    Thank you again buddy. Joe D