The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 151

User Info Menu

Is the chirp/clicking sound just a natural effect of thick picks, or are there any picks out there for me? I have tried big stubby, ultex, flow etc., but they have all made way too much noise. Tortex is like heaven compared, no noise, no friction. Are BlueChips better when it comes to noise? Why do I want a thicker pick? Well I want that round jazz sound, and I don’t think a tortex 1 mm gives me just that. Perhaps that’s more related to the guitar though. Haha.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you're not willing to spring for a Blue Chip (I have some, and love them, but they are expensive) I find that a John Petrucci Ultex pick works well and sounds good, although the Blue Chip is smoother. It's thick, and I don't notice any chirping. I really don't notice any chirping on any pick, thick or thin.

User Info Menu

Money no object, I can go for bluechip. I have tried the ultex JazzIII though, and it is way too chirpey for me. Noisy as f..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    Money no object, I can go for bluechip. I have tried the ultex JazzIII though, and it is way too chirpey for me. Noisy as f..
    Try a Bluechip. I get much less pick noise with my setup. YMMV

User Info Menu

The Blue Chip picks are really slick, almost like they have a lubricant when picking. They make the Ultex picks seem rough, even brand new ones. But the finger feel isn't slick at all, and they tend to stick to my fingers strongly, making dropping them a little difficult. FWIW, they're currently having a sale, offering free shipping, free engraving, and a free pick pouch. I'm not sure when that ends, probably before Christmas.

User Info Menu

D’Andrea Pro Plec. I use their small, round teardrop, 1.5 mm. Round refers to the tip being more rounded rather than pointy and makes for a lovely and surprisingly warm, fat tone with none of the annoying clicking or chirping. Much cheaper than the Blue Chip picks.

User Info Menu

Try a v pick. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I would try JB picks. The jazz SB 1.5 doesn’t click and is very smooth. They are reasonably priced.

User Info Menu

You might try Cool picks Juratex jazz picks (Elderly Instruments) or Stringjoy's heavy jazz pick (similar to the Tortex). I'll also second D'Andrea's Pro Plec picks for a softer tone.

User Info Menu

Get a thick pick made of acetate. They tend not to click. I use acetate picks made by Dugain of Paris. They don't ping, chirp, or click. Thick picks made from other plastics do tend to produce unwanted sounds, at least to my ears. For example, acrylic picks--quite chirpy, to my ears.
    Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-dugain-acetate-4mm-jpg

User Info Menu

Which bluechip do the jazzers in this forum mostly use?

User Info Menu

I don't know about mostly, but I have large jazz. I'm getting (I think) a TD teardrop for Christmas. I want to try that shape. I've never been able to bond completely with the small jazz picks of any composition, I like somewhat larger picks. The large jazz is a great pick if you like the shape. I think it's mostly a matter of shape preference.

User Info Menu

In my hand, Bluechip clicks.

D'Andrea ProPlecs and D'Addario Black Ice don't (much at all).

User Info Menu

The other thing too it’s mostly touch. Approach the pick like a now. Slightly drag it across the string rather than hitting the string with it. See how that goes.

User Info Menu

try a 3.2 dunlop felt...admittedly, initially weird... but stay with it... they break in beautifully with use...soft warm tone...no click..

felt picks were commonly used by jazz guitarists back in the day...and many early generation electric bassists as well

soft round tone

cheers

ps- coincidence...first review at sweetwater for these ^ extolls the virtue that its not clicky!!!

pss- long time thick pick aficionado...of many different materials...any thick pick with use & wear becomes less clicky..once the tip softens/rounds

User Info Menu

As for the question about which Blue Chip, I mostly use Blue Chip KS60 unbeveled and will occasionally use KS50 unbeveled. I've never lost one.

At first they chirp a bit but after a week or two they settle down.

It's my favorite pick...it works for me. But there are lots of great players that get killer sounds out of 25 cent picks too!

User Info Menu

+1 on the pro plec. I love the standard size.

I would enjoy trying a blue chip, but haven't felt the need to change out . . .

User Info Menu

Just looking at the BlueChip picks . Is it all about the material? or is there something else going on? The Large Jazz is $75 US that is a very very expensive pick!

Will

User Info Menu

Clayton acetal rounded triangle. The are symmetrical => equal weight distribution, more surface area and feel easier to control. Give it a week or two playing it and you can get a nice articulate, fast, and fat sounding edge. The two thicknesses that I've found have the best of both worlds are 1.26mm and 1.52mm. The 1.9mm are a little meaty.
    Maybe just my preference and fit though. They are big and unwieldy if you are used to something smaller.

Sanding could also be an option.

User Info Menu

It's the material, which is very expensive. The $75 price is for the 100, which is a tenth of an inch thick. Somewhat thinner ones are only (!) $35.

User Info Menu

John Pearse Fast Turtle 3.2mm
    Wegan Gypsy Jazz 3.5mm
    Papa's
    All under $15 usd

User Info Menu

You might try a Dunlop 207 (Jazztone, 477P207). There are other shapes using the same thickness and material (Jazztone series).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    You might try a Dunlop 207 (Jazztone, 477P207). There are other shapes using the same thickness and material (Jazztone series).
    But "Jazztones" are the most "clicky" picks I ever played*, just saying.... I played the 207 for years and the noise was tha reason to eventually change. Now I play mostly Ultex standard 1,14 or D'Andrea triangle 1,5.

*Not quite true, the stainless steel where even louder..
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 12-24-2018 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    Well I want that round jazz sound, and I don’t think a tortex 1 mm gives me just that.
    On the contrary, you just take a round-of-the-mill, drop-formed, 1mm Tortex pick and use the round side.

Done.

You're welcome.

PS: I learned this by watching Chuck Loeb play. You can find several of his videos in the Artist Works TY channel.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 12-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I love the Django Guitars Bebop pick. Tommy Davy developed these and they are fantastic! You can also grab them at the Django Guitars Reverb shop.

DjangoGuitars #8 "Bebop" 3.0mm (Vintage Galalith)

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-dgcpbb-2t-jpg