The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 151

User Info Menu

Periods of heavy woodshedding picking 4 ,6, 8 or more hours in 2 sessions per day can probably wear down any pick.

I can't imagine using one pick for years and not losing it , but aside from that-

I can't imagine using one pick for years and not having it be at least 1/4 " to 1/2 " shorter and worn round at tip.

What are Blue Chips made from ?

Glass ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You're the first person I've ever heard say that they had worn down a Blue Chip pick. I have no reason to doubt you, but that's the first time I've ever heard that. Mine have some micro scratches on the surface, but the bevels are like they came, after years of use.
    Lack of wear has also been my experience with Blue Chips, but I've never used any of the "pointy tip" versions for any length of time. Also my KS60 is essentially an equilateral triangle with three identical tips so each tip is probably only getting 1/3 of the use of a "directional" pointy-tip pick. But having said that, I've been using the "same" one as my main pick for YEARS.

User Info Menu

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-0f9eabef-f3b3-43fa-a800-1c5f8134a91f-jpg

Best I can manage with my phone, but the wear is clear. Strings are roundwound .012 with wound 3rd
    Last edited by krusty; 08-25-2019 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

On a quick scan, Wegen has only one mention here. I struggled hard to find a pick I could use for both jazz guitar and plectrum banjo. One variable/vanishable less on a gig. Wegen Bluegrass is my choice (for now at least). This is just me, other banjo players I know use a variety of picks from very flimsy to thick triangles. Trying different picks on banjo is a revelation in terms of how much variation in tone you can get from pick-swapping.

User Info Menu

It's all very individual. Buy several different picks, different thicknesses and manufacturers. That way you'll really understand what you need. At home, for recording and playing clean sound and crunch, I use thinner plectrums - 0,7 bought at Guitar Knobs. They give me good high notes and a nice moderate click. If you use thicker ones, the sound is noticeably thinner and the dynamics is worse. I personally don't use the thicker ones. They spoil the top notes and worsen the dynamics, and at the concert, when you play really loud, you`re risking to rip the strings. So it's based on what`s the purpose of using.
    Last edited by silviastar; 06-21-2022 at 08:45 AM.

User Info Menu

The Dunlop 204 and 206 round tip JazzTones chirp a whole lot less than your regular Jazz IIIs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    The Dunlop 204 and 206 round tip JazzTones chirp a whole lot less than your regular Jazz IIIs
    Interesting how we have different perceptions or possibly also gear and technique - red Jazz III for me is most used because for my ears and technique it is the least clicky

User Info Menu

Another vote for the picks that Tommy at DjangoGuitars makes. They have become the only picks I've been using. The bevels are the best I've seen on a pick, perhaps even a bit better than what I have from Red Bear.

User Info Menu

I find that material BlueChips are made of is slick enough the pick glides off the string and greatly reduces pick noise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silviastar
    It's all very individual. Buy several different picks, different thicknesses and manufacturers.

User Info Menu

Blue Chip.

User Info Menu

Super picks and normally priced!

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-pro-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Super picks and normally priced!

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-pro-jpg
    I tried these on multiple occasions, but I could never get any that weren't warped.

They sound good, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    I tried these on multiple occasions, but I could never get any that weren't warped.

They sound good, though.
    I've used these for 10 years and unfortunately in the past year or two I have to agree. A lot are coming warped in the packs these days.

User Info Menu

Indeed they are. I bought a bunch from Thomann, and many are warped. But the warped ones are playable from the one side, so i don't mind. It's strange though that they can't figure out how to fix that. It's like tip problems with other picks, where many have slightly different tips from others..

User Info Menu

I'm currently using Clayton triangle 1.52mm. Just very slightly rounding and smoothing off a bit of a square edge.
    No chirping at all.
    I've seen a clip on this forum demonstrating the Claytons. Can't seem to find it now.
    Edit: May have been by jzucker?

User Info Menu

The little Pro Plec 330 is the quietest, least clicky one I’ve found. It is very little, though. Which I’ve come to prefer.

User Info Menu

I'm embarrassed to say that I had never tried the simple fender celluloid heavy until I reach the age of 59. There's a sweetness to the tone, especially on the unwound strings, like no other material I've played.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'll repeat myself and say again that a good deal of "chirp' (not all) is caused by holding the pick too loosely. If the pick moves when you play, if it rotates between your index and thumb it you tend to drop it, you can eliminate much of the chirp by holding it just firmly enough that it stays " in playing position ". By doing so you will also get a slightly darker tone. Easy to test, just strum a little and play a phrase then grasp a little fit firmer and play again. You'll notice the difference immediately.

User Info Menu

That Troy Grady video pretty much nails it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I'll repeat myself and say again that a good deal of "chirp' (not all) is caused by holding the pick too loosely. If the pick moves when you play, if it rotates between your index and thumb it you tend to drop it, you can eliminate much of the chirp by holding it just firmly enough that it stays " in playing position ". By doing so you will also get a slightly darker tone. Easy to test, just strum a little and play a phrase then grasp a little fit firmer and play again. You'll notice the difference immediately.
    True, and yet different picks make different noises.

User Info Menu

I'm a massive pick geek. Favourites include Blue Chip Jazz 50 & 60, Wegen twin and gypsy picks, ProPlecs (the tiny ones and the house-shaped ones), Fender XH tortoiseshell celluloid (big and small) Dunlop Jazztone 205 and 305's, and Dunlop Primetone small triangles... and they're just the favourites. I've must've tried pretty much everything except for Red Bears.

Anyway, with my geek credentials established, I just want to let you know about Dunlop John Petrucci Trinity Picks that I've recently discovered (no affiliation). They've become my go to picks now.

* nice warm neutral tone. Neither dull nor bright.
    * not chirpy despite being basically Ultex (and I think that's because of the edge shape).
    * about 1.4mm thick with an embossed logo both sides that helps grip (I pop a little Monster Grips pad on each side too).
    * perfect size (more to grip than a Jazz 3 has, not so big as to cause a flappy tone).
    * very fast and precise with a great flow through the strings, particularly on upstrokes, thanks to the symmetrical and subtle edge shape (not really a bevel).
    * symmetrical so don't have to think about rotation angle, as when say using the blunt corner of a 351.
    * consistently made and well polished.
    * Very hard wearing, more so I think than my Blue Chips that show micro-abrasions.
    * not too expensive and easily available.

Picks are very subjective I know, but just wanted to let you guys know about these marvellous little Dunlop Trinity triangles that tick lots of boxes. Well worth trying for about ten bucks for six.

Thick guitar pick that does not chirp/click?-img_20220701_191651-jpg

User Info Menu

If the pick chirps, turn down the volume on the guitar.

User Info Menu

My current choices (FWIW):

Eastman AR403ce Archtop Hollow-body Electric Guitar - Blue Chip Jazz 60
    Godin Montreal Premiere Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar - Blue Chip Jazz 50
    C. F. Martin 000-28 Acoustic Guitar - Blue Chip IBJ 55
    Gibson J185 type Acoustic/Electric Guitar - Blue Chip IBJ 55
    Vagabond Acoustic/Electric Travel Guitar - Wegen Big City Jazz 1.8
    Fender Mustang PJ Bass - Wegen Twin 2.5
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola - Wegen Bluegrass 1.4
    Gold Tone IT-250R 17-fret Tenor Banjo - D’Andrea Pro Plec 330 1.5
    Vega ’67 Wonder Plectrum Banjo - Gravity Sunrise Big Mini 1.5

Addendum: If I could use only 1 pick for everything, I would choose the Blue Chip IBJ55: IBJ55 - BlueChip Picks.
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 07-06-2022 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Addendum