The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 482

User Info Menu

This amp looks and sounds very interesting.
    Last edited by kris; 12-23-2013 at 02:00 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Price? It's actually not that light, 7 kgs... But if it's cheap it could be a very nice small amp!

User Info Menu

Like a polytone megabrute 8" with half the power??..it might well work live for small gigs ( altho I'm not too keen on the red/yellow cosmetics ) . Nice dark 175 tone in the demo vids. Price seems to be about $ 550 MAP

Thanks for pointing this one out, Kris

User Info Menu

I did not like the looks but I did like the sound in the demo videos - it may sound quite nice with an extension cabinet (as Keira tells us about the lunchbox)?!

User Info Menu

Good find. I thought the demo sounded great and it's always a good thing to see another 15 lb amp in the market. I'd be interested in hearing some more hands-on reports.

User Info Menu

Here is another short clip

User Info Menu

Very nice. The chords sounds warm and I can certainly hear what the promo means by fast response.

User Info Menu

OK, now I'm interested too!
    Apparently, Guitar Center is their USA distributor.

User Info Menu

Picking up my jazzbox newly customised at my luthieŕs store, I had the opportunity to test it plugged in this little combo.
    First impression : this is a good rétro vintage looking amp, well finished, compact and attractive.
    Sound is good too and funny to tweak, thanks to a very effective medium setting, quite unusual in such mini amps. The overall tone is smooth an deep, bass response being quite convincing given the combo size.
    On the minus side, I found this amp´s perceived loudness quite weak for 45 watts; you may have different findings with your guitar. This loudness could be effectively improved when cranking up the mid knob to the max, but then it will alter the overall tone accordingly.
    In this respect, my Scxd has a far bigger headroom with any guitar I plug in.
    Tone wise, It's neither my cup of tea; the texture did´nt possess the tubey feel I like from Fender valve amps, but it´s just my taste.
    Price should be around 350€, which place it in a tough competition.
    My recommendation is :test it before purchasing.
    Last edited by mambosun; 12-29-2013 at 08:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This amp looks and sounds very interesting.
    This looks like a really nice amp. I asked my local store (Long & McQuade, Cambridge, Ontario) about it and they are going to try to get one in. Hopefully, I can give it a try.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I'd like to know how the little jazz stands up against a ZT acoustic lunchbox volume wise.

We don't have these in the US yet. Guitar center/Musicians Friend said it would be a special order, but they also said they may be carrying it in the future.

Looking forward to hear Kris's thoughts after testing the little jazz.

User Info Menu

Anyone seen or heard one of these they look very interesting. I've used Mark Bass gear and it was excellent, but not their guitar gear.

User Info Menu

It does look cool, but at £429 its not too cheap. The 7kg weight does sound appealing though.

User Info Menu

Sounds nice, and good playing.

User Info Menu

Great sounding small amp. Check this out:

Listen past the first chorus...

User Info Menu

Sounds great for such a small box!

User Info Menu

Demo sounds good but at that price point, it's going up against used AER Compact 60s, which just about everyone uses as a grab n' go amp around town here.

User Info Menu

My friend jazz guitarist bought this amp few months ago.
    After few weeks he sold it.
    He tried it with Gibson es-175D.
    Anyway he use Acoustic Image head with 12"speaker cabinet and 15 watt MV3 pure tube combo with 12 ".
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Really like the sound on the demos too. Seems like it would be great for those times when portability is paramount.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    My friend jazz guitarist bought this amp few months ago.
    After few weeks he sold it.
    He tried it with Gibson es-175D.
    Anyway he use Acoustic Image head with 12"speaker cabinet and 15 watt MV3 pure tube combo with 12 ".
    Best
    Kris
    Kris - was there something about the Little Jazz that your friend disliked, or did he just like the AI & MV3 rigs more ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Kris - was there something about the Little Jazz that your friend disliked, or did he just like the AI & MV3 rigs more ?
    He said that it was small and good for transport but he prefer AI and MV3.
    He tried it on gig and he said 40 watt/solid amp/ with 10 speaker is good for home practising and small gigs.
    Sound of DV Jazz for him was not bad.
    The best way is to cheque the amp on live performance.Everyone is different.
    I talked to the distributor about this amp-he said that DVJazz is small and loud.

User Info Menu

Hi y'all,

just bought myself this little toy! Well actually, it looks like a toy, it surely ain't one!
    Building quality is impressive, as always at DV Mark/Mark Bass I would say! I already owned a DV Mark Little 15 head with it feather-like cabinet that I really enjoy.
    Here are a few comments after just a couple of hours using it :
    - plugged my Orville by Gibson ES175 in it... and instantly got this warm and mellow jazzy sound I love!
    - Settings are quite straightforward, 1 vol, 1 bass, 1 med, 1 treble, 1 reverb, that's it. The medium pot especially provides drastic changes in the sound. Matter of fact, I think my ears wouldn't define it as a regular medium pot : when at 0, the sound is really clear and chimy, and when you put the mediums up, you get a darker sound, and if you push a little bit too much, the sound tends to get a bid muddy... But it definitely helps to get some vintage and warm vibes!
    - Reverb sounds a tad too "digital" for me, but if you keep it very low, it's ok.
    - The amp is very reactive and touch-responsive

In conclusion, I would say I'm really happy for now with this new friend, it seems to be really perfect to play clean jazz sound... and I guess that's the only thing it can provide! I mean, I also tried to play a little bit of other kind of music (funk, rhythm'n'blues...) and it was way too muddy IMHO. But anyways, I already own a few other amps for that purpose and I really bought it to practice my jazz skills!
    I will try to put some demos online if this may help!

User Info Menu

Well, it doesn't produce a lot of noise, like buzz or hum. However, it is not totally quiet, because for some reason I don't know, it has a small fan, like in a computer (well, smaller than a computer's). No big deal, that's not a lot of noise of course, but I can't say it's totally quiet.

User Info Menu

Hi, guys,

I just got one for a very reasonable 379€. Great little amp. Instant dark jazz tone with very punchy, articulated bass notes, kenny burell sound when used with a fulltone fatboost. Tone controls work great, epi es-175 really comes to life. My eastman ar-503 (slightly pimped with a lollar imperial low wind) sounds terrific as well: you can have the lively acoustic sound or a more mellow, darker sound with a mimum of tweaking the tone controls. There is a minimal background noise from the small fan ( not audible when recording with a sennheiser e609 directly in front of the amp), otherwise no hiss or hum. Loud enough for small living room or pub gigs, needs extra amping for real stage use of with larger bands. Xlr out works great for recording as well.
    Up to now, i only went for a jazz sound, I didn't try it for blues yet. Not too sure this will work; will experiment a bit and keep you posted. Really happy with it; great tone from a very small box. Way better than the zt lunchbox, with which i never was all too happy: very loud, but boxy sound. A keeper, i think.

Bruno.

ps great forum: quite a relief to find a civilised forum with so many terrific players - who don't look down their noses at struggling beginners...

User Info Menu

Brubra, I couldn't agree more!
    I tried it for other sounds, like blues and funk, but honnestly, this is not its cup of tea : it produced a sound that is really too dark for these types of music, IMHO.
    And totally agree as well regarding the ZT Lunchbox : I used to own one, and sold it promptly : yes it was loud, and looked really cute, but sounded really boxy, and lacked of dynamics.
    This Italian little jazz clearly plays in a different league!
    I know I still have to record a few samples, I'm a bit busy on a luthery project these days...