The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 482

User Info Menu

Seems to me that the Quilter is a lot more amp for just a wee bit more money.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Seems to me that the Quilter is a lot more amp for just a wee bit more money.
    +1

I have a Quilter MicroPro 200 and I set up an A/B test with my Princeton last night using my Am Standard Strat and my big pedalboard and I could get a very, very similar sound -- the main difference being the Princeton is open back and the Quilter closed. The Quilter can get significantly louder than the Princeton. I am incredibly impressed with the Quilter. No, I won't replace my Princeton most of the time, but if I need more volume than the Princeton but less than a Twin, the Quilter is getting the call

On the minus side, because it's so flexible, it's taken me a while to dial in that Fender BF sound. It's not nearly as plug-n-play as the Princeton, or a Pro Jr.

User Info Menu

The LJ sounds great, Bruno. I'd be happy to have one.

User Info Menu

I'm interested in this amp, but I'm a bit leery of the fan. Also I wish it had a little tilt back mechanism on the bottom.
    My bass player has a Markbass Micro, which looks to be mostly the same thing and similar spec. I'm guessing they retooled that design for a guitar voice. BTW, his microbass has great tone and sounds bigger than it is. Perhaps I'll wait to see if any of these start to pop up used on the GC website . . .

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    I finally took the time to record a few notes on my Little Jazz, so here it is!
    Recording was made with a Sennheiser e609 microphone directly connected to an iRig Pre interface into my iPad. Recording app was Focusrite Tape.

Guitar is a Made in Japan 1993 Orville by Gibson ES175, neck pup (Classic 57).

Please forgive the not-so-interesting playing...

User Info Menu

Sounds great. How does the bass sound?

Edit: never mind saw the demo vids
    Last edited by edh; 09-05-2014 at 10:26 PM.

User Info Menu

So I got one of these not too long ago. Decent price & nice enough. Musician's Friend shipped it to me in no time! Power & tone is good . . . love the EQ and tone -- makes some of my not so perfect guitars sound quite nice! Loud enough for drums? maybe just barely, but I don't think so . . . Loud enough for my guitar & bass duo or solo . . . for sure!

I hate hearing the fan for quiet practice, but I still love the amp. Old school jazz tones all day. The mid control is interesting . . . almost like a gain control too. Cool Italian design details (like the neat leather corners) but nothing special about the build quality. I'm not complaining mind you -- but if you are a cork-sniffing boutique purist, the details will not impress. More like a good buy for the money?

I'm tempted to try the Little Jazz with my trio, but I'd hate to come up short since we don't gig all the time . . . maybe later . . . or with an extension cab. bottom line? Fun amp, but imperfect like all of 'em.

User Info Menu

Tried one. Same size as my Baby Brute. Not as loud as my Baby Brute. Doesn't sound as good and isn't as versatile as my Baby Brute.

One thing that concerns me ... it appears, (unless I couldn't see through the grill well enough) that the speaker in that amp has a foam surround like a car speaker. Maybe for increased bass range (or price point). In my experience, foam surrounds deteriorate rather quickly compared to accordion style surrounds.

Also, not as much bass fullness as my Baby Brute.

User Info Menu

Boy, an on/off switch for the fan would have been brilliant!! -- I may check into adding one eventually, or maybe just turn that sucker off . . . too bad DV Mark didn't think of it! Hard for me to see why a 45 watt SS amp needs a fan anyhow. Regarding the speaker surround, sort of a foam/rubber thing yes, but that speaker surely does sound good-- also an inverted dustcap in the middle -- I'm guessing it affects the sound dispersions in some interesting way too. . . .

Regarding the Baby Brute comparison . . . the little DV Mark amp has plenty more bass than I need -- I tend to dial it down. Meanwhile, glad that old Polytone (and it's reverb) is still working . . . been there done that

User Info Menu

I got crazy this afternoon & installed mini-toggle for an on/off switch for the fan! Thanks for the great idea Docbop

a quick trip to radio shack, 1/2 hours work, and voila. works great, looks factory. Easier than I expected. I've only played about 20 minutes on the amp since the mod, but so far no heat -- it seems to run cool enough anyway, and I'm not a loud player. So all is good with the Little Jazz !!

BTW, interesting to poke around inside. The amp chassis is very stout aluminum, and the guts of the amp are completely isolated from the speaker enclosure by plywood -- seems like pretty cool internal details to me . . .

User Info Menu

Well done. But it does beg the question, why did they install a fan in the first place?

User Info Menu

Well, chassis & basic amp guts look to be the same on the little jazz, the jazz 12", and the Markbass Microbass-- their standard platform for these few amps anyway. . . I'm guessing it can get hot in there if pushed --- I just haven't gotten the heat to show up yet-- but if I do, there's always that little switch now LOL

My bass player has the Microbass & it sounds terrific. They are like little twins wearing different clothes! We didn't realize his fan was dead until I brought home the little jazz. I'm guessing the heat may come on quicker trying to push some bass? I don't really know . . . I guess time will tell. But one thing certain . . . pretty sure I voided the warranty this afternoon . .. oh well.

User Info Menu

I gave the Little Jazz a go with my trio last night -- guitar, bass & drums in fairly quiet art gallery setting. The amp kept up just fine. In fact, I played the whole night with volume set just above 10 o'clock -- plenty loud and the drummer didn't always hold back either. Tones were good, but I did miss a little something extra in the bass. But my other players and another regular listener commented that my sound was good, so I guess that counts for something!

I love the mid knob on this amp! As you turn up above noon, a bit of growl is added in too, thickening up the voice of the amp -- I find it very handy and easy to control. I think the limiting factor on higher volume is the speaker -- above a certain point the tone gets boxy. But I also find myself thinking that an extension cab could easily remedy this issue if a player wanted a little more volume on tap -- may have to explore that option a bit just for the fun of it!

All in all, I'm very happy with the Little Jazz -- cool amp!

User Info Menu

Just a very quick recording of the amp using my eastman ar-503 (killer guitar...); left channel is the xlr output, right channel miked. I'm not a very good player, but the sound is (to my ears) really nice, and the recording is a correct reproduction of what the amp sounds like: no effects at all, no editing in Logic. I'm a happy camper!

PS: Of course, I forgot the link:

best regards,

Bruno.

User Info Menu

Bruno - can you remember what EQ settings you used for the recording ?

User Info Menu

Sure. Bass 12 o'clock, mid 1, high 11. Reverb at 9; on the guitar: tone approximately 2/3rds rolled off. The eastman has la bella 14 tapewounds; this nicely counters the somewhat bright character of the guitar. No other effects or editing whatsoever; straight into boss looper, and then recorded with logic. Playing could be better, but the recording sound true.

best regards,

bruno.

User Info Menu

I just played a gig last weekend with the little jazz with a jazz quartet, then a rock set.
    it held up well with acoustic (not mic'd) drums.
    great Mao & very portable!

User Info Menu

I've just bought one of these amps and, as many others here agree, it sounds great and is plenty loud enough for many gigs. If you need more power, there's the extension cab option, or direct out into the PA system.

But(why is there always a but), there's the issue of fan noise. It starts fairly quietly when you first switch on and gets progressively louder. You would not notice it on gigs, even on solo jazz guitar gigs, but for home practising and recording it is a distraction. So I contacted DV Mark in Italy to express my concerns and to see if there is any solution to the problem.

They were very helpful but emphasised that the fan is an essential part of the design and should under no circumstances be disabled in any way, even temporarily. Otherwise, permanent damage could be caused. They stated that they believe the fan to be one of the quietest on the market.

So, there we have it - go for the great sound and accept the fan noise, or look elsewhere. I'll give it a couple of months to see how things go, but I'll probably keep mine.

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with my little fan on/off switch. I wouldn't expect DV Mark to endorse the practice, but I play quietly most of the time with the fan off -- the amp generates very little heat -- hard to imagine much trouble coming from it. But it's a risk I'm happy to take for the blissfully silent operation

User Info Menu

Femi Temowo, a top player here on the London scene, just got one and loves it. He's filmed a video demo:

User Info Menu

DV Mark Little Jazz-little-jazz-mini-stack-jpgDV Mark Little Jazz-little-jazz-fan-switch-jpg
    So here's a pic of my "triple-blonde mini-stack"
    Little Jazz, Ear Candy Cab, Epiphone ES 175 Premium.
    I may have been doing a bit too much retail therapy these days . . . LOL

I got the idea for the cab after my one gig with the Little Jazz sitting up on a chair. I thought it would look much nicer sitting on top of a speaker cab -- and this is what happened. The cab sounds just great and adds lots of volume. I'm becoming something of an Ear Candy fan boy. . .

The second pic shows my somewhat controversial fan switch install. Not much to see -- looks factory to me. I love it despite the hypothetical danger to the amp. I play quiet at home 95% of the time and the fan is loud enough to drive me crazy in that context. Even though there is very little heat coming off the amp, every so often I turn on the fan & go "oh yeah, this is why I put in that switch!" Like DV Mark somehow didn't realize jazz guitarists might have sensitive ears? Come on design teams . . . .

User Info Menu

Cool looking stack. I just recently got a 1x10 jazz guitar cab and a 1x12 bass cab from EarCandy and I have to say I'm a fan too. Although if you are going to lug all that to a gig why not just get a more powerful amp?

User Info Menu

I do realize the irony of the micro-stack -- buy a small amp & try to make it bigger . . . Doh! but it is fun & I really do love the sound of the Little Jazz. I like it with flat-top acoustic too. I have other louder amps but loud isn't a big issue in my music world most of the time. Mostly, I play at the occasional art gallery opening, and this will fit the bill very nicely.

Like I said, part of it's function is to get the amp up off the ground -- rather than a chair or amp stand. Basically, the Little jazz is functioning as a head. And BTW, none of this stuff is big or heavy -- it looks bigger in the picture than it really is. . . you may notice the guitar is sitting behind the amps . . . (for photographic effect) The cab is maybe 20 lbs? . . . not sure.

I love micro-gear -- I hope they keep coming up with new cool tiny amps & stuff

User Info Menu

I really like that neat job with the fan switch. I just knew that I couldn't do the same, so I sent my amp back to the dealer. That could be the amp I returned - on Thomann for £285!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Like I said, part of it's function is to get the amp up off the ground -- rather than a chair or amp stand. Basically, the Little jazz is functioning as a head. And BTW, none of this stuff is big or heavy -- it looks bigger in the picture than it really is. . . you may notice the guitar is sitting behind the amps . . . (for photographic effect) The cab is maybe 20 lbs? . . . not sure.

I love micro-gear -- I hope they keep coming up with new cool tiny amps & stuff
    I've been leaning toward that thinking with the Quilter MicroPro 8. Carry a good cab, maybe a single 12, thinking of the Quilt as a head. But in an emergency, or small gigs, the head has a built-in speaker. Hmmm...