The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 484

User Info Menu

I also have used mine for an outdoor gig, numerous indoor gigs (one with a loud drummer) with superb results. Sound is always consistently warm and clear. Love this amp! My polytone has been in the closet since I bought the DV Mark!
    bill

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tried one at GC and it sounded nasal and awful!

User Info Menu

Hi, it's my first post and I'd like to resurrect this one to ask to those of you who have replaced the noisy fan in the little jazz if it is possible to fit a 40x40x20 fan instead of the 40x40x10. I've bought the amp new a week ago and it's really beautiful, great sound and easy to set and carry out. But the noise that comes from the fan is, from time to time, "unpleasant". in addition, the headphones are almost useless having an even noiser background (I tought to use it as line out to record, but it's impossible).
    I found a supersilent fan but it's 20mm thick, and I haven't opened the amp to look inside...so, I'll be grateful for any advice.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

hey Guys
    last night i had the luck to try a Dv Mark little jazz,,,,
    Men... this is a great amp !! True sound and big enough tone for my 335
    The fan it's not too noisy... it's much less than the noise of my laptop
    I tried the litlle jazz and a rolland cube at the same time,,,

Well ...DV DV DV DV DV !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spaceoddity66 View Post
    I tought to use it as line out to record, but it's impossible
    Thank you
    can you please tell me why its impossible to use the line out of the amp ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkstigma View Post
    can you please tell me why its impossible to use the line out of the amp ?

What you snipped out of the post you quote said he tried to use the headphone out as a line out, they are not the same thing. A headphone out is like a speaker output just lower level so its and amplified signal. A line out is a lower level output designed to go to a line in. The amp does have a XLR Line out that should be fine for sending to a PA or recording with.

User Info Menu

Thanks docbop to clarify it so well, indeed... I found impossible to use the headphones plug as "line out", I thought to use it since it is easier to me to go into the recorder from a jack than from the "XLR" line out (I don't have an adapter for that cable...), but the sound from the headphones has a background noise too high. However, after a couple of weeks with it I've to admit that the fan is not as noisy as I thought at the beginning (indeed, I now use it for practice at a low volume and I barely can hear the fan...) and when I raise a bit the volume, the noise disappear. The strange thing is that the noise increases if I put the reverb and/or the mid at maximum (worste is with the reverb)...
    all in all, it's really a nice amp... I added a bit of gain with the "blues drive" pedal, and it sounded very bright and loud (not far from a blues junior)... even the crunch was not bad at all.
    so, the "surgery" to replace the fan is postponed...
    Last edited by spaceoddity66; 01-17-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: missed a previous reply that explained the issue

User Info Menu

Do you think that DV jazz 12 is much better than little Jazz for gigs ?

User Info Menu

I tried it once in a shop, I found its fan much noiser than the little jazz at low volume, but at high volume it was really nice and loud... the 12 inches speaker sounded good to me, but since it was a very short try I didn't understand how it should works in gigs. My teacher has the little jazz and she gigs with it regulary (guitar and voice, or two guitars and voice), so I'm sure that in situations like it also the jazz will work well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spaceoddity66 View Post
    I tried it once in a shop, I found its fan much noiser than the little jazz at low volume, but at high volume it was really nice and loud... the 12 inches speaker sounded good to me, but since it was a very short try I didn't understand how it should works in gigs. My teacher has the little jazz and she gigs with it regulary (guitar and voice, or two guitars and voice), so I'm sure that in situations like it also the jazz will work well.
    why is that ? Don't they have the same fan ? I think is the same amp in different cabinet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Anyone seen or heard one of these they look very interesting. I've used Mark Bass gear and it was excellent, but not their guitar gear.

I saw it at NAMM. Tiny. I also looked at the 12" speaker combo amp that weighed about the same as a porterhouse steak.

PS. That was tiny, not tinny. However it could have been tinny, I never played it.
    Last edited by docdosco; 01-27-2016 at 02:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkstigma View Post
    why is that ? Don't they have the same fan ? I think is the same amp in different cabinet
    Yes, indeed... it's the same. I don't have an answer, I think it should be a "bigger cabinet effect", but the difference was noticeable... what you can also consider is the use of the little jazz as head for an external speaker (my contingency plan, just in case I should need more...). It has the output and you can turn off the internal speaker, so it should work... however, I didn't try it ... so it's my only theoretical thought

User Info Menu

Hello,
    Can some of you post comparison with fan noise vs replaced fan noise levels? I know the specs are much different for some fans, but I would like to know how does that sound in real world.

User Info Menu

can you please explain to me what that means ?
    DV MARK Power Output:

60W @ 4ohm,
    45W @ 8ohm
    Speaker size: 1x12” DV Mark Custom Impedance: 8 ohm

So, how many watt DV jazz 12 is? 45 or 60 ?

I replaced my fan with a noctua nf-a4x10 and used the low-speed connector and the supplied rubber mounts instead of screws.
    It is quieter, but still audible to me. I'll probably install a switch.
    I sit about 1.5 meters away from the amp.
    I do observe that some of the noise comes fom the inlet grille (next to the grnd lift switch) - which I take to be air turbulence.
    I'd say its worth changing the fan, although I am disappointed with the result, given I spent $35au on a premium low-noise fan.
    This is really some poor design on the manufacturer's part. I don't think the fan is necessary anyway (but I don't gig or put stress on the amp).

By way of measurements, using a cheap radioshack db meter, I read just on 60dba about 1cm from the exhaust grill. It goes to 70dbc. (I can never remember which is the 'right' scale, dba or dbc). I get the same reading from the inlet grill. It is below 50dba at 1meter.

By measurement, that is pretty quiet, but it is the nature of the sound that I find intrusive.

I like the amp though!

I hope this helps.
    Hans

ps. sorry if this post looks a bit random. I thought I replied to an earlier post from someone (torta). This is my first post and don't have full command of the process yet. Hans
    Last edited by HansOlthof; 02-02-2016 at 03:23 AM.

User Info Menu

heyyyy two days now with a Dv Mark 12*

Very nice amp , with bigggg headroom and pure solid state sound

Yesterday i had my first rehearsal , guitar and double bass, and i have to say that i am very satisfied with that amp

It's very light too !!!! when i first hold it at my hands i thought that there is no speaker in there. This is very important and makes me smile

The fan noise is noticeable, but i hope i gonna use it, just like the noise of the PC in my room
    Maybe i will replace the fan with another one
    If you have any suggested one please let me know.

Do you think is safe to add an on-off switch, so i could stop the fan and keep it like this for some hours, while i practice guitar in low level?
    Last edited by jkstigma; 02-28-2016 at 04:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats´on your new amp.
    Personally I have never thought at the fan on my DV 12 as a problem..but thats just me. I think it is a good amp considering the price. Then again, it´s not my favorit sounding amp, the reverb is horribel and I have thought of selling it again. But then again, the DV is just the amp I keep bringing for rehearsal and giging. It is so light, easy to handle and cuts brilliant through when playing with the bigband and when playing outdoors with my smaller jazzband. I guess I will keep it for that. My Polytone ll is better sounding for small indoor gigs. Well anyway, thats my experience...

Best
    H. Krause

User Info Menu

do you think that little jazz is better than jazz12 for practice in a room ?

User Info Menu

I have the little jazz, have not played the jazz12.

I am using it for practice and gigs, and it works well for both. The fan noise can get somewhat annoying at times, but once engrossed in practice, I can not hear it.

The fan is not loud enough to be audible at gig volume, even solo gigs.

I like it because of the weight - light! And good, warm jazz sound.

User Info Menu

before a week i tried the little jazz and now the jazz 12.
    well i think they sound different(different size & kind of speaker i guess) ,little jazz sounds brighter to me and that jazz 12 is louder i think

Last edited by jkstigma; 02-29-2016 at 02:46 AM.

User Info Menu

well....i finally send it back
    i can't stand the fan noise .

I think i gonna stay with my fender pro jr

User Info Menu

Odd that I keep hearing complaints about the fan on these amps and I literally cannot hear the fan on mine at all. Guess I got lucky.

I love that amp.

User Info Menu

i think the fan of little jazz it's quieter than jazz 12.
    A week ago i was playing a little jazz and it was less noisy
    Maybe it's a kind of cabinet effect or it's.... luck.

And yes it's a very nice amp.
    For me, little jazz it's better than 12', because it's speaker has special designed for that amp.
    Last edited by jkstigma; 03-01-2016 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a Polytone Baby Brute Taurus and am considering the Little Jazz due to its even smaller size & weight.

Do you think it's in the same ballpark, sound wise, or better?

User Info Menu

as i told you i send back the jazz 12...
    yesterday i received the Little jazz !!!

yessss it's great amp ! i love it. The fan noise is less than it's big brother
    and the 8inch speaker,,,,, I LOVE IT

I gonna use it stereo with my fender projunior