The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 482

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAitch
    I really like that neat job with the fan switch. I just knew that I couldn't do the same, so I sent my amp back to the dealer. That could be the amp I returned - on Thomann for £285!
    Did you return it just because of the fan noise ? So can I assume the B-stock item, if it was yours, is actually "as new" ? £285 is a very interesting price !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, it was just the fan noise. If it's mine, then it's certainly in as new condition. Actually, B-stock at Thomann does not mean B-quality - it's usually just stuff that's been returned within the 30-day trial period.

User Info Menu

I replaced the noisy fan with an ultra quiet one (12db). Since it's a standard 40mm x 10mm fan (like used in computers) it's really easy to do (no soldering, just plug out / plug in new one. Since then, it's really quiet, so all is good, and, since you're not drilling or soldering, you won't void your warranty. Dirt cheap, as well. You can find some here: Ultra-Quiet 40mm Fans . Still as happy with the dvmark as on day one...

User Info Menu

My Little Jazz arrived today - it is the B-stock one from Thomann that is probably the one JAitch returned. It is just like new, so I saved a few £££ there. Yes, I will change the fan. The stock one has a sound rating of 24 dBA, whereas the widely available Fractal Designs equivalent, recommended above, is rated at only 13 dBA; I just ordered one online for £5.

The DV has replaced an Ibanez Wholetone that I flirted with for a few weeks. I have to say that I just couldn't get a good sound out of the WT80. No matter where the EQ was, it always sounded a bit woolly. Perhaps I hadn't give it long enough for the speaker to break in - but I was the second owner, so it should have been OK. Fortunately it was one of only 2 pieces of kit that I have ever made a profit on when recycling via eBay, so that allowed me to spend a bit more on the DV. So far it sounds great and will definitely serve the purpose I have in mind. Even with the current fan noise I am happy with it and can get a range of good tones from my Ibanez AFJ91 - which I may now have to think of upgrading to match the quality of the amp !

User Info Menu

Just got one this week. Excellent in terms of sound and utility. Fan sound not an issue.Excellent value at €399 from Thomann, Germany delivered to ireland.

User Info Menu

To me the clips on these sound better than any of the other solid state amps. Unfortunately there seems to be no one who will ship to Canada (or I would already have ordered one).

User Info Menu

Greaser,
    I'm happy to chime in. First, let me say the DV Mark Little Jazz is just fantastic. I recently brought home a 1981-ish diamond tolex Polytone Minibrute 1x12 from "The Pantheon Of Enshrined Jazz Guitar Amps" (LOL) and I'm still loving my Little Jazz despite the ageing diva in the house . . .

The Little Jazz with the Ear Candy Bailey 2x8 sounds great. Louder, clear, punchy & smooth. I haven't gigged it yet, but plan to do so at the end of the month. The cab offers a bit different tone from the Little Jazz stock speaker, but they play really well together.

As far as the cab itself is concerned, it is rock solid & build quality is really nice. Tim @ Earcandy obsessed over the front & back panel woods, and every detail is perfect (more than I can say for the Little Jazz, BTW . . . ) I can't imagine the cab developing any weird buzz or vibration, but I haven't even come close to pushing it and probably never will. It's a very solid piece. Maybe not the most refined, furniture-like design (think Reazor's Edge. . . ) but super solid & functional.

Truthfully, it's bigger than I had hoped -- I originally planned on a 1x8. But Tim recommended the 2x8 configuration with the Eminence 820H Hemp-cone speakers & I went with that. The speakers are rated at 20W, so the cab is 40W, which fits the speaker-output on the Little Jazz quite nicely. I had originally envisioned a higher power handling 1x8 that might be able to support a Quilter or AI . . . but that's not what happened. I may have to explore that option down the road . . . if you have any other questions, let me know. I'm an Ear Candy fan!

User Info Menu

not trashing on the Little Jazz, but some build details on the amp just aren't amazing. Tolex is soft & a wee bit sloppy (compared to fancy stuff anyway) speaker grill is screwed into wood as opposed to anchors. Not to mention the stupid fan issue. . . nothing major, just typical corporate-farmed-to-asia build quality vs boutique handmade. The Ear Candy cabinet build is more like a top quality boutique amp . . . that's all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    not trashing on the Little Jazz, but some build details on the amp just aren't amazing. Tolex is soft & a wee bit sloppy (compared to fancy stuff anyway) speaker grill is screwed into wood as opposed to anchors. Not to mention the stupid fan issue. . . nothing major, just typical corporate-farmed-to-asia build quality vs boutique handmade. The Ear Candy cabinet build is more like a top quality boutique amp . . . that's all
    Thanks! Did you end up replacing the fan? Or still just relying on your patented switch?

User Info Menu

I haven't done a new fan yet. I plan to, but it's not a huge priority. Every time I use the amp, I feel around the back to see if it is heating up, but it just doesn't get very warm -- at least not at practice room volume level. Sometimes I switch on the fan just for the heck of it -- still works if I need it. Overall, I'm really happy with the amp.

User Info Menu

Greaser,
    I'm happy to chime in. First, let me say the DV Mark Little Jazz is just fantastic. I recently brought home a 1981-ish diamond tolex Polytone Minibrute 1x12 from "The Pantheon Of Enshrined Jazz Guitar Amps" (LOL) and I'm still loving my Little Jazz despite the ageing diva in the house . . .

The Little Jazz with the Ear Candy Bailey 2x8 sounds great. Louder, clear, punchy & smooth. I haven't gigged it yet, but plan to do so at the end of the month. The cab offers a bit different tone from the Little Jazz stock speaker, but they play really well together.

As far as the cab itself is concerned, it is rock solid & build quality is really nice. Tim @ Earcandy obsessed over the front & back panel woods, and every detail is perfect (more than I can say for the Little Jazz, BTW . . . ) I can't imagine the cab developing any weird buzz or vibration, but I haven't even come close to pushing it and probably never will. It's a very solid piece. Maybe not the most refined, furniture-like design (think Reazor's Edge. . . ) but super solid & functional.

Truthfully, it's bigger than I had hoped -- I originally planned on a 1x8. But Tim recommended the 2x8 configuration with the Eminence 820H Hemp-cone speakers & I went with that. The speakers are rated at 20W, so the cab is 40W, which fits the speaker-output on the Little Jazz quite nicely. I had originally envisioned a higher power handling 1x8 that might be able to support a Quilter or AI . . . but that's not what happened. I may have to explore that option down the road . . . if you have any other questions, let me know. I'm an Ear Candy fan!
    Thanks for the response!

The Little Jazz, is it versatile or does it only do the dark, clean jazz tone? I'd like a small amp like this but I would also want to use it with a solid body for blues and some rock type stuff with pedals. I really like the looks of it and the price is cheaper than the small Quilter that seems like it would do what I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

45 watts? No thanks

User Info Menu

Just received one of these. I was looking for something small to take to rehearsals and I also wanted something to double as a flat top acoustic amp. First impressions : It's really small - seems about half the size of my Vintage Sound Princeton style amp. The sound is well balanced, thumps pretty good in the bass and low mids. It sounds bigger than it looks. The reverb is decent, lots of decay after the note so for me I have to keep it set really low. The eq does not have the range that I am used to on my tube amps but it does sound good with the controls set at the midpoint with my Heritage 550, so not much adjustment is required.

I am still adjusting to the sound of it since it is quite a bit different than the Fender style tube amps that I am used to. It does not have the warm shimmer on the top end that good tube amp have. It reminds me quite a bit of the old orange Roland cubes sound wise (not a bad thing in my books) - maybe because of the sealed back enclosures.

All in all I love how portable it is and the simple design and good voice. I would have loved to have a tiltback feature - a curious omission given the design intent must be for small spaces.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. Has anyone tried the Little Jazz 12, or ideally done a side by side comparison of the Little Jazz 8 and Little Jazz 12? I'm interested in an amp to back up my old polytone V and I'm thinking the 12 might be a better fit for me.
    bill

User Info Menu

haven't tried the 12, but my Little Jazz 8 is backed up by an old Polytone! LOL Same guts BTW

I love my acoustic through the Little Jazz - didn't expect to, but nice surprise -- no sparkle, but I'm not really into sparkle anyway. I'm more about rolling off the treble most of the time.

Also, I wish it had a tilt back feature.

User Info Menu

I have just bought DV Mark Jazz 12. It has polytone vibe and is incredibly light (7,5 kg instead 8,6 as says producer).
    I think is louder than my Koch studiotone 20, so you could play any gig with it. The biggest issue is equalization - it is strange, but amp has very effective bass and middle control, but highs is totally ineffective, thus amp lacks clarity.

User Info Menu

I was wondering if you still like the amp after some time with it? Is the the "lack of clarity" a big deal?
    Bill

User Info Menu

Several weeks on still love the amp. With a 12" Raezer Edge cab extension on larger gigs it sounds orchestral.

User Info Menu

5 months & I'm still lovin' mine too. I have Henriksen 110er, Quilter Aviator, PRRI, and old Polytone in the house. IMO the Little Jazz in no tone slouch! I play it more than any of the others. I really like the small size & the instant jazz tone. I really like the EQ controls. The mid in particular runs from thick to clean in a unique way that I find very useful. I like my acoustic through the Little Jazz too, but I doubt everyone would agree with me on that one as it doesn't have a tweeter, so you get a fairly jazzy tone out of a flat-top too.

User Info Menu

I have Henriksen 110er
    How do you compare it with Henriksen?

User Info Menu

well, the Little Jazz is smaller & probably much quieter -- though I never push either of them up in volume. I'd always choose the Henriksen for a louder gig because I know it sounds great up loud! The Little Jazz sounds super, but it is "little". Maybe others have experience gigging it loud, but not me. I like the EQ & reverb on the Little Jazz better, but the Henriksen is a more solid piece of gear.

User Info Menu

Still very happy with the amp. I didn't experience "lack of clarity" at all. I no longer have "AAS" (as opposed to GAS), (amp acquisition syndrome), which is saying something...

User Info Menu

Unfortunately mine is going on to eBay this evening. Although its a great package and I don't find the fan intrusive, there just isn't enough top-end sparkle for me.

User Info Menu

Finally got to gig with the Little Jazz microstack last nite. Guitar, Bass, Drums at an art gallery. We don't play too loud -- the set up sounded great. I really like having the little jazz up off the floor & I trust it much more to be "loud enough" running the cabinet. Set volume around 4 and played the night away. I really like the sound of this little amp! It works just perfect for what I do.

User Info Menu

I just received mine and here is a quick honest review. It does not sound "45 watts", it is almost as loud as a Lunchbox with MUCH better bass response. I could play virtually every gig that I play with this amp. The fan is annoying as hell, it will either have to be replaced or turned off. Those of you who think that all the snobby jazz guys are just too finicky about the fan, think again, the fan sucks big time, or blows, depending on your preferred phrasing. It sounds just like an electric space heater running in the middle of a room. However, the tone of the amp is excellent, so if I can do something about the sound of the fan, it will probably be a keeper. As someone pointed out, the finish isn't all that great, as the tolex job seems to be sub-par, but it does feel pretty durable. We'll see.