The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 484

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zirenius
    Wow, the black edition is regularly available here in Germany. It is just a little more expensive than the white one, but I figured that the white one might not look as nice in a couple of months, so I went for the black one. The case was relatively expensive for the price of the amp (58€), but I think that it really adds to the amp and was happy to spend it.
    Yes, I notice online that Thomann has the black edition, but all the UK shops are still stocking the white/cream one. The black just looks a bit sharper to me! And I can't blame you at all for the case - as you say, a perfect fit and very handy for keeping the power lead etc in the pocket - plus the amp is such a good price, it's still a great setup for the money, and something you'll probably be using for years.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How do you feel about the constantly running fan? Do you notice it when playing quietly at home?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    How do you feel about the constantly running fan? Do you notice it when playing quietly at home?
    It's not an issue, as they added a thermostat in the second iteration of the amp. Thus, the fan only comes on when needed and so far did not turn on for me at all.

User Info Menu

That's good (though not perfect) news! I've recently bought a used Jazzamp instead of the dvmark - use it for everyday practice. But it's still much bigger and heavier than the dvmark. Not to mention that it's much more expensive (used, previous version!). If dv mark would get rid of their fan, I wouldn't have any doubts what to buy. But as main practice amp there is no room for a fan in my opinion... Henriksen is dead quiet, always

User Info Menu

That's good (though not perfect) news! I've recently bought a used Jazzamp instead of the dvmark - use it for everyday practice. But it's still much bigger and heavier than the dvmark. Not to mention that it's much more expensive (used, previous version!). If dv mark would get rid of their fan, I wouldn't have any doubts what to buy. But as main practice amp there is no room for a fan in my opinion... Henriksen is dead quiet, always
    I seem to recall that somebody on here modded his or her Little Jazz with a switch to turn off the fan... I would not trust myself with a soldering iron to do a mod like that, but maybe it's an option for you? Heard only good things about the Henricksen. It was way out of my price range for the intended purpose, though. :-D

User Info Menu

Most people have told me that they have played for an hour or so without the fan coming on, so I think its pretty much a non-issue at this point. But yes, it seems installing a switch was a pretty simple proposition on the gen1 amps. Not sure about the gen2 amps with the thermostat, that might complicate things a bit.

But yes, one of the most attractive things about this amp, besides the sound, is just how light it is. I honestly couldnt believe it when I lifted it at the local GC. Its amazing it sounds as good as it does considering it's weight.

I respect DV as a company because they are very earnest to innovate and please, and they are willing to re-iterate on their designs to improve their products. I've seen other companies that, when confronted with blatant design issues in their products, refuse to acknowledge such and, after everything, end up blaming the customer and offering cheesy work-arounds that involve more work than a consumer should ever have to do on a brand new amplifier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zirenius
    Heard only good things about the Henricksen. It was way out of my price range for the intended purpose, though. :-D
    The jazzamp is a great amp! Probably better than the little jazz soundwise (whatever that means). Probably louder and fuller sounding. But I was looking for a second amp at that time since my main amp (a deluxe reverb) is too heavy to take it to small duo-trio rehearsals etc. And it's a little too powerful for everyday practice at home. So the Henriksen is much lighter and smaller, but the little jazz is another 4kg less! I'll wait for a new version without the fan, for now I can live with the Henriksen (sounds pretty ridiculous since it's THE amp for many jazz guitarists )).

User Info Menu

The jazzamp is a great amp! Probably better than the little jazz soundwise (whatever that means). Probably louder and fuller sounding. But I was looking for a second amp at that time since my main amp (a deluxe reverb) is too heavy to take it to small duo-trio rehearsals etc. And it's a little too powerful for everyday practice at home. So the Henriksen is much lighter and smaller, but the little jazz is another 4kg less! I'll wait for a new version without the fan, for now I can live with the Henriksen (sounds pretty ridiculous since it's THE amp for many jazz guitarists )).
    Well, I shouldn't judge. Before, an AER Acousticube was my portable practice and teaching solution. It had two drawbacks:
    1. weight
    2. i tend to have students that also are into rock music - the AER just outright HATEs every kind of overdrive I fed into it...

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I have a dv little jazz on the way... should be arriving next week. So excited!
    I really hope that you'll be as happy with it as I am .

User Info Menu

Mine came this week. I hope today to post a NAD with a clip. I LOVE it. The sound is huge for such a small amp.

Wish I could have gotten the black... but no regrets!

User Info Menu

I finally got in some playing time with mine. The fan rarely kicks an and when it does it is barely perceptable. The tone is good.

I did some recording with the XLR out into my Tascam. The volume needs to be backed off a tad or the recording does have some background hiss. It is usable, but a bit less than I hoped for. A combination of the XLR on one channel with the second channel mic’ed has delivered the best results

The headphone jack has a lot of hiss and this is my biggest complaint. If you plan to play a lot with headphones this is likely not the amp for you.

For $300 it is pretty good. If I paid more I would be tempted to return it.

I do like the black aesthetics. I will likely get the case for mine.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Little Jazz club! Love the bag -- that was a great find.

I've got the gen 1 in white and I did the fan switch mod -- works great and the amp has never given me a problem.
    It doesn't really run hot anyway. I also peeled the logo off the front grill and repainted it -- just for kicks

A great sounding amp, not expensive, super practical . . . what's not to love?

User Info Menu

I hadn't seen any cases like that, but I bought a cover for mine, just to protect it from banging around in the trunk of my car. I use it a lot in my practice room, and almost never hear the fan, and when I do hear it I have to listen closely, up very near the amp. The fan is not an issue at all for me. It will only come on in a hot environment after playing it very hard. At practice room levels it doesn't come on. I go back and forth between preferring it and my AI/RE setup. Some days I like one better, other days the other, but I've never developed a strong preference for either. They're close enough that I can take either. I can connect the Little Jazz to the RE cabinet, but it's seldom worth the trouble to me.

In my opinion, the DV Mark Little Jazz is one of the best amps out there. The sound you get from it is very Polytone like, but with a modern touch. Just phenomenal. The fan dosen't bother me, because its not noticeable while playing. I only can hear it sightly between breaks, but who cares? When it comes to the DV Mark Jazz 12, i found it to be not as clear as the Little Jazz. Once i talkt to Bireli about that and he said that he likes the sound of the Little Jazz much more!

User Info Menu

Interestingly here in the UK the actual case available for the amp is quite a lot cheaper (£37 at GAK) than that cuica percussion bag (at least £50).

User Info Menu

I don't play very loud but I do tend to push my SS amp volume up to maybe 1 or 2 o'clock on the dial while keeping my guitar volume rolled back. I would guess this would tend to kick the fan on, even though it's being fed a small signal from the guitar; would I be right about that?

User Info Menu

I can't say about that, I've never felt the need to turn the amp up past 12 o'clock, even at very loud jams, and the guitar volume was between 5 and 7. In my practice room, I keep the Little Jazz at about 9 o'clock, sometimes just a tad higher, and I have to keep the guitar volume knob around 5 or less, otherwise I can't stand the volume. At 12 o'clock on the amp, I have to turn the guitar volume almost to zero, not much more. I'm old, but I'm not yet deaf, nor is anyone else in the house.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I don't play very loud but I do tend to push my SS amp volume up to maybe 1 or 2 o'clock on the dial while keeping my guitar volume rolled back. I would guess this would tend to kick the fan on, even though it's being fed a small signal from the guitar; would I be right about that?
    No, I think you would be fine. I'm pretty sure you could turn it up to 11 and leave it on all day and it wouldnt get hot unless a big signal is going through it. I'm no electrician tho...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever
    No, I think you would be fine. I'm pretty sure you could turn it up to 11 and leave it on all day and it wouldnt get hot unless a big signal is going through it. I'm no electrician tho...

I got a Henriksen Bud amp I guess about six months ago and it's become my practice amp. It is normal for it to be turned on for 6-8 hours or more a day (I forget to turn it off sometime when I go run an errand.) SS amps I don't worry about being on long hours, I used to do the same with my Claris before the Bud. I will touch the cooling fins when I'm by them and even after hours of playing they are barely warm to the touch.

I'm not electronics person, but from what I read SS circuits are basically in idle until signal comes thru, then go back to idle. When I was a recording engineer our power amps, in fact all gear was on 24/7 unless it had a motor then then we would turn it or the motor off. So SS and long hours are no big deal.

User Info Menu

I discovered that my G&L tele copy has a weak enough pickup, and a linear volume control, to allow turning my LJ up to ~ 3'oclock without deafening me. I eventually got the fan to come on. But I had to put my hand over the vents to tell that it was on. At that volume level, with a guitar and cord connected, there is more noise coming from the speaker than the fan makes. There will be inevitable circuit noise, no matter the amp, with the volume up that high. It's not loud, and I had to listen closely in a quiet room to hear it, but it's there. After turning the volume all the way to zero, I had to get my ear within about 6 or 8 inches of the vent on the back in order to hear the fan. It's really lower than the inherent circuit noise. IMO the fan is a complete non-issue.

User Info Menu

Had a parcel delivered last night!

I am in Australia - purchased the amp from Thomann.de. Very impressed with both their pricing and customer service. Bought many sets TI Jazz Swings as well as a few leads etc. too.

This amp is tiny - it's about 10'' or so - the 8" speaker is tightly packed in there. The build quality of the cabinet is good. Mine has the white tolex. Had a hard time choosing between black and white, figured that all my amps are black so why not try something new?

The controls are very simple - volume, treble, mid, bass and reverb. Simple amps are good - I chose my Quilter Aviator Twin Ten over the Micropro 12 for the simplicity.

Had the controls set flat - using my Gretsch Synchromatic 400 with vintage vibe floating CC pickup, the sound was very dark and boomy. Wasn't all that impressed yet. The amount of low end this little box puts out is staggering though. It has far greater bass response than my Quilter Aviator Twin Ten.

I rolled off the bass to about 2, mids bumped up to 7-8 treble on 5 - the sound was pure Johnny Smith. That's the kind of tone I strive for- it really nails it - the dispersion of the 8'' speaker is amazing too - it really fills the room and isn't directional at all.

Next I tried it with my Telecaster. It's a MIJ 62 Custom w/ Bill Lawrence Microcoils. Was surprised how good the Tele sounded too - the jazz sound was as good as I've heard with my Quilter if not better, the high end is smoother. The tone control on the guitar can be more open.

The real test is with my Les Paul Recording. My Gretsch and Tele sound good through most amps. The Les Paul doesn't get along with all amps - I think the extended frequency response of those Low Impedance pickups can be a bit unforgiving. Anyway - the sound of it through the Little Jazz was great.

Still have more guitars to test through it but I'm sure they'll all sound good.

The reverb is a bit over the top - but on low settings sounds good.

I think this is going to become my main gigging amp for jazz gigs. My Quilter has more of a blackface Fender vibe- this is different, probably a bit less versatile but in some respects better for straight ahead jazz sounds.

Here's a photo- Les Paul and sunglasses for scale!

DV Mark Little Jazz-26169424_10215161430860297_8695649132726365660_n-jpg

User Info Menu

The boomy bass can be tamed. You can elevate the entire amp, or you an just tilt it back a little. I generally tilt mine about 10 degrees or so by putting something under it in front. That makes a rather large difference in the tone - it gets brighter, not as much bass. The further you tilt it, the more difference it makes. Also, placement in relation to walls or large objects makes a difference. Moving it just a few inches closer or further away from a wall can have a big impact on the tone. All this is, I think, because of the rear ports, at the bottom. A lot of bass comes out of the ports, and changing the angle and reflection of that changes the perceived sound. I prefer different locations and tilts in different rooms. It all depends on the acoustics of the place, whether there is carpet or bare floor, etc. You just have to experiment with it to find what you like.

User Info Menu

Wow! Seems like these amps are taking off recently! Congratulations on a solid purchase!

User Info Menu

Haha, my DV Mark Jazz 12 is coming tomorrow. I will probably make a thread just to continue the fun. Seems most people spring for the Little Jazz. I would love to compare them side-by-side sometime, maybe one day I'll get the chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Wow! Seems like these amps are taking off recently! Congratulations on a solid purchase!
    Thanks! Yes- they seem to be selling like hot cakes at the moment.
    Pretty sure I'm the only guitarist in my area to have one but I'm sure that'll change soon...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The boomy bass can be tamed. You can elevate the entire amp, or you an just tilt it back a little. I generally tilt mine about 10 degrees or so by putting something under it in front. That makes a rather large difference in the tone - it gets brighter, not as much bass. The further you tilt it, the more difference it makes. Also, placement in relation to walls or large objects makes a difference. Moving it just a few inches closer or further away from a wall can have a big impact on the tone. All this is, I think, because of the rear ports, at the bottom. A lot of bass comes out of the ports, and changing the angle and reflection of that changes the perceived sound. I prefer different locations and tilts in different rooms. It all depends on the acoustics of the place, whether there is carpet or bare floor, etc. You just have to experiment with it to find what you like.
    I noticed this- if I lifted the front of the amp slightly it sounded clearer and less boomy. Some amps seem to sound best on the floor, this one seems to like to be elevated a bit.