The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Posts 351 to 362 of 362

User Info Menu

You can get a pretty good jazz tone from a solid body. For example I recorded this using an Ibanez Artist 2619 solid:

proof that guitar tone is in the hands...-a2d37724-a6e8-4300-9b1a-c7cc404cd8d7-jpeg
    Last edited by grahambop; 11-28-2020 at 06:23 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Quiet as it’s kept you will not find a better electric jazz guitar than a good Les Paul. I honestly think people only get the Gibsons with the F holes so horn players will book them.

Yeah well .. Don't let practical considerations cloud the importance of mental issues ... Different guitars put you in different mindsets

I've been telling myself to sell off my entire collection and just keep a tele and the les paul for years now .. But just can't do it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah well .. Don't let practical considerations cloud the importance of mental issues ... Different guitars put you in different mindsets

I've been telling myself to sell off my entire collection and just keep a tele and the les paul for years now .. But just can't do it
    Sell off your collection, what? are you crazy!?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    Sell off your collection, what? are you crazy!?

User Info Menu

Is it just me, or do these new fangled modelling guitar amps make every guitar sound so very similar. I use the same setting, but with a different guitar and it sounds very much the same.

It's a good sound, but too similar, I presume, it's probably due to the digital DSP processing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah that’s an interesting point. It is true. Although I hate this and resist it. I want to sound the same on every guitar.

(If you can’t be good, at least be consistent.)

But seriously Julian Lage always sounds like himself. Even when he plays a les paul.

Set up helps. But I can’t actually play anything lighter than 11s so god knows what I’d do with a pointy guitar if I got one .

Put flats on the Les Paul though....

User Info Menu

I want to sound the same on every guitar.

(If you can’t be good, at least be consistent.)
    Get a modelling amp, you'll sound the same on every guitar you play. (On the same setting of course.)

User Info Menu

But seriously Julian Lage always sounds like himself. Even when he plays a les paul

Is that single coils (p90s) Les Paul with heavy strings thru a Champ of his really that different than his single coils (dynasonics) Gretsch plank or his single coils Tele both with heavy strings and thru a champ too really that different from each other?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Get a modelling amp, you'll sound the same on every guitar you play. (On the same setting of course.)
    This has not been my experience. Different guitars sound just as different from one another through my Strymon Iridium as they do through any other amp. Maybe more so since I'm running through a full range speaker that will reproduce the differences in harmonic content more than a typical guitar cabinet.

User Info Menu

But seriously Julian Lage always sounds like himself. Even when he plays a les paul.
    Yes. But he sounds like Julian Lage playing a Manzer, or 30's L5, or Tele, or P90 Les Paul. Phrasing and content are one thing. Tone is another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    This has not been my experience. Different guitars sound just as different from one another through my Strymon Iridium as they do through any other amp. Maybe more so since I'm running through a full range speaker that will reproduce the differences in harmonic content more than a typical guitar cabinet.

Yes, you're probably correct, I'm probably using too much DSP processing with modulations, so all my guitars sound very similar on the same setting, it's that over processed modern sound, but I like it.

I'm using a 400watt Class D Power amp and full range speakers that include tweeters, so I should hear any differences.

The sound definitely comes mainly from your hands and the technique you have honed over many years.

The first time I saw and heard Lenny Breau play he had a Hagstrom 12 string with 6 strings. The first time I saw George Benson he had a Gibson Super 400 I think. They could have switched instruments and still sounded like themselves. Its the archer more than the bow AS LONG AS IT HITS THE BULLSEYE!!!