The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I'd get a local tech to make an ebony bridge so that you can go back and forth as time goes on. I did that in order to get a bone saddle bridge which I go back and forth between on my laminate archtop, depending on what strings and pickup I'm running. I liked the bone saddle version when I had a HB, but now that I've got a CC HB size in there I prefer the original ebony.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    I'm hardly a codger, nor am I casting any judgement regarding the bridge. I'm addressing the false notion that if it doesn't have an inlay, it isn't a "real" (as stated in another post) L5 bridge. As a side note, your somewhat insulting tone, reference to codgers and nursing homes is highly disrespectful.
    Lacking the inlay, it's not a "real" L5 bridge if it's from the period requiring the inlay and doesn't have it.

Re-reading my post, you are right, I did sound snarky there, and thought I was just being funny. I should have re-read it and considered how someone who didn't know me would hear it. I apologize for that. I don't know you at all, and so I should err on the side of showing respect rather than risk some snide comment like that.

The point I was trying to make was that however beloved those older L5's are, they are not the whole story. Many great players play Norlin era L5ces models quite happily--Joshua Breakstone, Bruce Forman, for example. Others play post-Norlin L5's which are admitted by most to be extremely fine instruments, beautifully made, well playing, and great sounding. I am not overly wowed by the older instruments and so I do not take them as "the" standard. The L5 is a tradition of guitar-building, and most people buying an L5 today are buying one post 1970's and in that case, if the inlaid bridge is absent, that means the guitar is not all-original. that's an important piece of information in negotiating the sale. What else might be non-original? Given the prices L5's of any era sell for, one should know exactly what appointments and features go with the era of instrument they are considering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Lacking the inlay, it's not a "real" L5 bridge if it's from the period requiring the inlay and doesn't have it.

Re-reading my post, you are right, I did sound snarky there, and thought I was just being funny. I should have re-read it and considered how someone who didn't know me would hear it. I apologize for that. I don't know you at all, and so I should err on the side of showing respect rather than risk some snide comment like that.

The point I was trying to make was that however beloved those older L5's are, they are not the whole story. Many great players play Norlin era L5ces models quite happily--Joshua Breakstone, Bruce Forman, for example. Others play post-Norlin L5's which are admitted by most to be extremely fine instruments, beautifully made, well playing, and great sounding. I am not overly wowed by the older instruments and so I do not take them as "the" standard. The L5 is a tradition of guitar-building, and most people buying an L5 today are buying one post 1970's and in that case, if the inlaid bridge is absent, that means the guitar is not all-original. that's an important piece of information in negotiating the sale. What else might be non-original? Given the prices L5's of any era sell for, one should know exactly what appointments and features go with the era of instrument they are considering.
    Agreed. FWIW, I have a 55 with an inlaid bridge, and it's staying there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Agreed. FWIW, I have a 55 with an inlaid bridge, and it's staying there.
    Non-original! ;-) But lovely all the same.

I'm sure you know how to use it as well. I hope you can receive my apology for my remarks, which I agree were not well placed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Non-original! ;-) But lovely all the same.

I'm sure you know how to use it as well. I hope you can receive my apology for my remarks, which I agree were not well placed.
    Nice to see someone on an online forum who knows how to act like a gentleman and scholar should......

User Info Menu

I do enjoy, as Stringswinger brought up, that we do have a grown up and intelligent correspondence pool here.

Thank You.

User Info Menu

I was in a session yesterday with 2 other guys and I was playing my L5P with the TOM saddle. One friend brings up the Ebony vs TOM with the opinion that it makes a 'Uge difference, and here I thought the guitar was sounding pretty awesome as it is. I hate it when I'm perfectly happy and someone comes along and says something that throws my world into doubt with a few comments. I had asked Steve Andersen a similar question a while back, but it was rosewood vs ebony, and he said something to the effect that the rosewood is better, or that I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. At any rate, I think that I'd like to try ebony on the L5P, just to prove it one way or another to myself. I've heard Matt makes a mean ebony saddle.
    Replacing TOM with ebony bridge on a Gibson L-5CES-l5p-bridge-jpg