Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Any place where people go for a good time, especially with alcohol, is going to be noisy. They don't go out to hear musicians play while they sit quietly, they're there to have a good time, and they will. The band is just part of the background, and having a good time. Might as well accept that, it won't change. I've played in 'clubs' in Oklahoma where there was chicken wire around the bandstand, to protect the band from thrown beer bottles and other hard objects. When a fight breaks out, you just keep on playing. The only real danger is when someone goes out to their pickup truck and brings back a gun. Chicken wire won't stop bullets. I don't keep on playing when guns are present, I get on the floor or behind something substantial. Fortunately, I haven't done that sort of thing in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I've played in 'clubs' in Oklahoma where there was chicken wire around the bandstand, to protect the band from thrown beer bottles and other hard objects. When a fight breaks out, you just keep on playing. The only real danger is when someone goes out to their pickup truck and brings back a gun. Chicken wire won't stop bullets. I don't keep on playing when guns are present, I get on the floor or behind something substantial. Fortunately, I haven't done that sort of thing in a very long time.
    Man, I thought the chicken wire thing was just something from the movies.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

Sometimes movies actually show real things. Not often, but sometimes.

That’s amazing.

Being almost 20 years of age, and having grown up in the country, never been to a city (I'd briefly visited Amarillo, TX a few times, but I wouldn't call it a city) I was easily amazed, but that part seemed sort of ordinary. The human interactions were interesting, though. I couldn't dance, but watching the patrons was educational. FWIW, this was back in the 60s, long ago and far away.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Any place where people go for a good time, especially with alcohol, is going to be noisy. They don't go out to hear musicians play while they sit quietly, they're there to have a good time, and they will. The band is just part of the background, and having a good time. Might as well accept that, it won't change. I've played in 'clubs' in Oklahoma where there was chicken wire around the bandstand, to protect the band from thrown beer bottles and other hard objects. When a fight breaks out, you just keep on playing. The only real danger is when someone goes out to their pickup truck and brings back a gun. Chicken wire won't stop bullets. I don't keep on playing when guns are present, I get on the floor or behind something substantial. Fortunately, I haven't done that sort of thing in a very long time.
    Did you play both kinds of music?

John

chicken wire won’t stop thrown quarters

Got my ‘57 Les gold top nicked by those suckers thrown at us while playing at a North Sacramento Roller skating rink in 1958..

We weren’t really that bad, it was just all the noise from those durn skates!

Thanks guys for all your knowledge of strings--and guitars. Much appreciated.

chicken wire won’t stop thrown quarters

Did you play both kinds of music?
    Chicken wire won't stop much of anything other than chickens and bottles. Mostly we played country, because it was in the country. We did western swing and some jazz, whatever the crowd would tolerate. Out there, they tend to tolerate Bob Wills music pretty well. And 50s and 60s country music. The closest we came to rock was Tequila. Nobody in the band knew how to play rock, or cared.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed