The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 78

User Info Menu

Thanks El Fundo, appreciate the response. That's why I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. I know they sound good for classic rock and blues, but the loud cleans are what I'm more interested in. For gigs, small combos with a drummer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The VHT S6 has really good cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    Tube - yes, sorry about that. The SCXD does have the modelling stuff for sure. But there's 2 or 3 settings that are pretty nice for 'us'. Its a nice little amp. Try one if you get the chance.

I think the Epi Electar might fit the category of simple, small tube amps. No idea what it sounds like.
    I had an Electar, 10w, a few years ago. Little clean headroom and somewhat raspy distortion. I ended up using it only as a second amp for stereo effects when playing rock.

User Info Menu

I thought I'd give an update on my cheap little Monoprice 5 watt in this thread. I replaced the 12AX7 with a 12AT7 and got a little more clean headroom, but went ahead and replaced that with a 12AY7 and I am now very happy with the headroom which stays pretty clean up to 5 or 6, then begins to break up. For playing at home, the volume is fine. The simple volume/tone controls are perfect for that application, and the external speaker jack is always there for a nicer sound from a bigger cabinet (which definitely improves things).

Currently at Amazon for $119.99 US I think it's a great bargain and a fun "first" tube amp, or a fun tube amp for just playing at home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmukav
    Thanks El Fundo, appreciate the response. That's why I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. I know they sound good for classic rock and blues, but the loud cleans are what I'm more interested in. For gigs, small combos with a drummer.
    One other thing: it tends to feedback on certain notes when using my ES 275, perhaps more than any amp I’ve ever owned, most likely due to the cheap particleboard used for the cabinet. And that’s weird, since hollow body guitars are typically the source of feedback, not the amp. Very annoying.

User Info Menu

Palmer Fab 5, if you can find one!

Small, Inexpensive Tube Amps?-palmer-fab-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Fundo
    It’s not so much about it breaking up but it just doesn’t sound good cranked up because of those weird resonant peaks, most likely caused by the particle board that is used in most cheaper amps like the Pro Jr.
    I had Mojotone make me a solid 12” cabinet for my Pro Jr III, and I used their Greyhound 12” speaker which is rated at 80 watts. What a difference that made! I’m not knowledgeable enough to speak of its resonant peaks after the mods, but boy did it sound good. As is usually the case I played it for a while then sold it for something else. I wish I had that one back.

User Info Menu

For a while ago Blackstar released their Studio 10 6L6 combo. 10 watts and 1x12" Celestion speaker. Here in Europe it generally costs between 600-700 €.
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Monoprice Stage Right 15W
    All tube, 15W, 12" speaker, FX loop, external speaker out, 25lb, $250
    Cons: No line out.
    Attached Images Attached Images Small, Inexpensive Tube Amps?-monoprice-15w-tube-amp-250c-jpg Small, Inexpensive Tube Amps?-monoprice-15w-tube-amp-250b-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have a Magnatone Varsity 108, 5 watt class A, and it’s ok, but not as great a clean as I’d like and it doesn’t have a headphone jack for me to practice during my insomnia nights. I bought the Bugera V5 and put in a 12AU7 to clean up the headroom, and it was great for two weeks, then it developed a horrible power tube rattle. I took it back to see if they’d replace the tube, and they wouldn’t, so I put the preamp tube back in and returned it instead. It was a sweet deal at $129 but not worth it if it eats tubes. The Monoprice Amps look nice at a really low budget, and the used Blues Jrs are going under $600 in the Guitar Center near my house.

I’m looking to go solid state to get quieter cleans at this point (Saving for the Quilter Interblock 45 pedal amp and an Eminance Patriot Series speaker) and I’ll live with the Maggie for tube drive when I want a crunchy sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    I would say the Champ 12 had possibly the worst O/D channel.
    I had one for a long while but moved it on to a harmonica player.
    The reverb was either on or or off.

I have a GVT 15 which is perfect. On that premise I would say the 5 watt version would be a winner.

On a tangent I would try a Yamaha THR 10C. Yes I know its tranny-dijjy but what a fantastic set up.
    I also use mine for lining out my phone for play along tunes. It really is worth a look and second hand would be a no brainer.
    +1 on the Yamaha THR amps. OK, it's not a tube amp, but it does glow that warm orange tubes glow when turned on. I can get great living room tones out of it and it likes all my guitars. It tucks under the end table and out of sight and I use it almost every day. The bluetooth works well and my typical session involves iReal Pro playing through the audio channel (via bluetooth) and guitar through the Guitar channel (each with it's own volume control. As a tube amp snob, I was really surprised at the great tones and utility I get from the little Yamaha. I think mine is the 20 watt version. Cost under $300 (I think I paid about $250). The next model up has a wireless receiver built-in (compatible with Line6 transmitters). I'm not familiar with that one, the basic one I have is a sweet little jazz rehearsal machine.

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention the USB output on the back of the amp. I use it to record direct to my iPad. Makes this little living room amp even cooler. Adding a couple stock photos of the amp:

Small, Inexpensive Tube Amps?-yamaha-thr10-ii-1-png
    Small, Inexpensive Tube Amps?-yamaha-thr10-ii-2-png

User Info Menu

A nice Emery Sound Superbaby or Microbaby will set you back a mere @$1,000, used. Real living room furniture! And you can store the 1 watt head in the cab when not in use. These guys have been around for years, making stupidly expensive high-end, low-wattage furniture/amps.
    Attached Images Attached Images Small, Inexpensive Tube Amps?-emerysound-superbaby-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-29-2020 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Peavey has a great little amp that could easily work for jazz. It can go from super clean Fender-ish tones to aggressive blues/rock stuff. As usual and unfortunately, most videos emphasize over driven sounds, but this is one very versatile little amp.

20 watt/5watt/1 watt and tons of features for under $600 USD.

Classic 20 MH Mini Amp Head.

Classic(R) 20 MH Mini Amp Head | Peavey

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

Were you able to disable the mic on your iPad? I tried recording with a THR and got a mix of both the line in and the iPad mic which picks up a lot of extraneous noise. I never found a way to disable it.

User Info Menu

Just ordered the Joyo JTA-05 Sweet Baby amp. (I think this is an older version of this model and that the later version is released by Fame.) I'm in Canada and there's a store that's currently offering them with at the discounted price of $249.99 CAD + tax (a discount of $48 CAD). The amp is a Champ clone. Not that many YouTube demos of it but there are a few. I'm crossing my fingers it'll be decent.

Joyo Jta-05 Sweet Baby 5 Watt Vintage Guitar Tube Amplifier — Musique Red One Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Peavey has a great little amp that could easily work for jazz. .

looks good,

i played a Peavey Classic 30, USA 1980's they were brilliant, not advertised/marketed as Jazz amp but really warm, pretty heavy but i was much younger.
    Not many Jazz people used them because they were darn expensive import duties taxes i was not in US Europe,

This probably has similar quality.

User Info Menu

I had a classic 30 for awhile. It is a great amp--built like a tank, and pretty much equivalent to the Fender alternative.

However...it is heavy and loud. It didn't really work for me as a living room amp for jazz--could never turn the volume up above 3. Too heavy for dragging to gigs.

Let me mention the Epiphone Valve Jr. 5 watts of Class A pleasure. It can be loud and overdriven if you want that, but at lower volumes it is clean, warm and tubey. Unfortunately they are no longer being made and due to popularity as a modding platform it's hard to find them for $100. I wish I hadn't sold mine...

I think Gretsch made a small 5W, 2-tube amp for awhile--the Electromatic G5222. It seemed to have a similar vibe going for it.

Also, this kind of goes against the grain of a cheap amp, but Stew Mac sells a Champ clone kit that I would love to try sometime.

'57 Mini Tweed 5W Amp Kit | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Were you able to disable the mic on your iPad? I tried recording with a THR and got a mix of both the line in and the iPad mic which picks up a lot of extraneous noise. I never found a way to disable it.
    I used GarageBand and selected the correct input. No issues with the iPad’s built- in mic. Here’s a clip:

After work, I’ll hook it up and look at my settings. Here’s what I posted about it when I first learned how to connect via USB. Go to post #17 at this link: New practice amp - Yamaha THR 10ii

User Info Menu

Peavey has a great little amp that could easily work for jazz. It can go from super clean Fender-ish tones to aggressive blues/rock stuff. As usual and unfortunately, most videos emphasize over driven sounds, but this is one very versatile little amp.
    Yeah I love that thing! A little breaky-uppy for full on jazz gigs, but this is the house amp for one of the pubs I used to play at (before the 'rona) and it had a FAT sound. More tweed I suppose than a blackface.

User Info Menu

RE: Peavey Classic 20 MH Mini Amp Head...

This amazing amp was brought to my attention by a working pro guitarist who loves tube tone and is a bit of a amp snob. He uses it mostly to record at home and called me so excited about its capabilities. I thought he had lost his mind being Corona-isolated for over a month. To e completely honest, we both laughed when he first told me it was a Peavey. Then he mentioned of the tons of features and great sound.

Now I want one!!

User Info Menu

In the general price range and power of the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, but the Fender hasn’t got the effects loop.

User Info Menu

Peavey is often thought of reliable good value gear, and not always the Headhunter Top equip, not so they were more realistic in their pricing and a bit like Roland in that never quirky just Robust gear that worked. Most of it a bit heavier and perhaps a year or two behind, but its funny age does not really matter to me anyway, i understand people dont want to drive say old looking cars. etc.

Peavey had some pretty good guitars as well, not always the sexiest as it were. they made a Strat USA made copy maple neck that was superior to any Fender, the tuners so so , bridge so so, it worked but not best, pups were not bad. Body & neck really good. some of the T series bass were well made i mean all USA MADE not later Korean shit.

User Info Menu

A couple of THR's in action, btw.

User Info Menu

RE: Peavey Classic 20 MH Mini Amp Head...

This amazing amp was brought to my attention by a working pro guitarist who loves tube tone and is a bit of a amp snob. He uses it mostly to record at home and called me so excited about its capabilities. I thought he had lost his mind being Corona-isolated for over a month. To e completely honest, we both laughed when he first told me it was a Peavey. Then he mentioned of the tons of features and great sound.

Now I want one!!
    the only thing as good is a 90s Peavey Bandit 112. The ultimate solid state jazz amp.

i am quite serious.

i do sometimes wonder why I bothered to buy a Princeton.

User Info Menu

I should say, since I started this thread, I got a THR and have no need for a small tube amp anymore.