Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 80 of 80

User Info Menu

It's like a 20 watt twin reverb. Perfect for me.
    To gig I use a pedal into the PA.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you can find one how about an Ampeg GVT5 combo.. It switches between 5 - 2.5watts, simple Bax tone stack and is super hi fi clean.
    Good with pedals too.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    If you can find one how about an Ampeg GVT5 combo.. It switches between 5 - 2.5watts, simple Bax tone stack and is super hi fi clean.
    Good with pedals too.
    That there is a really good idea. I played a GVT15 a few years ago and loved it -- should have brought it home.

Regarding the VHT stuff, I had a Special 6 for a while. Liked it but not quite amazed.
    Sold it fairly quick, and the buddy I sold it to did the same.

Fender Champ 12. Not the best drive channel for jazz, but really good clean 6L6 tones.

Small, inexpensive tube amps?-26869221_359939001082084_7435154371576332288_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Fender Champ 12. Not the best drive channel for jazz, but really good clean 6L6 tones.
    I would say the Champ 12 had possibly the worst O/D channel.
    I had one for a long while but moved it on to a harmonica player.
    The reverb was either on or or off.

I have a GVT 15 which is perfect. On that premise I would say the 5 watt version would be a winner.

On a tangent I would try a Yamaha THR 10C. Yes I know its tranny-dijjy but what a fantastic set up.
    I also use mine for lining out my phone for play along tunes. It really is worth a look and second hand would be a no brainer.

User Info Menu

The Ampeg GVT Series, for the five minutes it was on the market, was pretty cool - visually a nice nod to the Helmethead era. Made in China to meet a price point, there were some QC issues. I've never been inside of one, but I suspect that they are easy enough to fix or upgrade to last. The ones I played sounded pretty good. LOUD was far too stupid a company to make a go of these, unfortunately. Maybe Yamaha will do a better job.
    Attached Images Attached Images Small, inexpensive tube amps?-ampeg-gvt-series-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-16-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

I've been having way too much fun with a Koch SE-6 combo that I grabbed at the last winter NAMM show:
    -1x12" 60-watt OEM Koch (Sica) speaker, open back
    -Class A amp, runs either 1x6V6 or 1xEL84
    -runs either 6 watts or 2 watts
    -vol/tone/master vol.
    -outs for 4/8/16 ohm cabs
    -a bunch of useful switches for tone
    -pre-amp in, recording out, dummy load switch
    -and it's teeny!
    OK, not cheap, and hard to find in North America, but still super-cool.
    I may grab an SE-12 (same amp, 12/4 watts, either 1x6L6 or 1xEL34) at the upcoming NAMM show.
    Attached Images Attached Images Small, inexpensive tube amps?-koch-se6-black-silver-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-19-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Here is a fellow forum member playing through a VHT Special 6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Car broken into, amp gone.
    So sad to read this, Mr. B! I have just ordered a Champ 600 clone because of your "Darn it Already" video. Musicstore's Fame tube 5 if you're interested. Not as cute as the real thing, but...

Same lick, different day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Why not a used Champion 600? There seem to be quite a lot on offer. Used Gretsch g5222 is pretty much the same thing Otherwise, the 5 watt Bugera tube amp sounds quite good IMO.

I'd also suggest checking out a Fender Champion 20. It's a modeling amp, not tubes, but as simple as the Microcube. Not cute, but basic black(face) style goes with anything. Mine is allowed in the living room, but that be because of the cover I made out of duct tape for it.

If you're willing to go up to $450-ish, something in Valco/Leilani/Alamo neigbhorhood could actually be quite decorative.

John
    Really sorry about your amp. Such a bummer. I have a SC X2 and a Champ 20 and they both do the trick. i've had two PRRI's that I loved but HAD to sell and would love another but the X2 clean channel is great. i'd like an inexpensive tweed type as well

User Info Menu

Any old Silverface Champ that works well. of course...

Then have a jack for an extension speaker put on ...they sound great into larger Guitar Speaker Cabs 1-10's 1-12's etc.

User Info Menu

I've been having a blast with my cheap little Monoprice 5 watt amp with just volume and tone controls. I replaced the 12AX7 preamp tube with a 12ATZ for a bit more clean headroom and my wife even commented on how warm it sounds, which is really historic in our household. I got it for less than $100 shipped, and the older model has better aesthetics than the newer one.
    Small, inexpensive tube amps?-img_2340-jpg
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

It’s a shame peavey don’t do a small valve amp.... I reckon it would rock

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Laney cub?
    The Monoprice 5 watt is essentially a re-branded Laney Cub. Schematics and components are very much the same.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

I'm just waiting for someone to reissue the Velocette/Gibson GA-15. Bangin' amps.

User Info Menu

There's a couple of THOSE on US ebay for about $500.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Fundo View Post
    I bought a Fender Pro Jr IV a couple of weeks ago and have pretty much used it on every gig since. A much better amp for jazz than the (slightly comparable) Blues Jr imho.
    Are you able to get loud/clean enough? I've been toying with the idea of a Pro Jr but am worried that for gigs it'll break up too early. Did you swap out tubes, or using it stock?
    Washburn J600 Jazz
    D'Addario Flat Wounds

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmukav View Post
    Are you able to get loud/clean enough? I've been toying with the idea of a Pro Jr but am worried that for gigs it'll break up too early. Did you swap out tubes, or using it stock?
    I guess it depends on just how loud you might want (or need) to play through it. I took it to my regular Tuesday night trio jazz gig at a place with pretty bad acoustics a couple weeks ago, and I was not happy with it at all. But rooms like that are not a good place to judge amps or even guitars. The problem I had with it was not about it breaking up too early, but more about strange resonant peaks, the cause which I haven’t yet quite figured out yet. Fortunately I had my Deluxe Reverb in the car and used it for the rest of the night after the first set and it sounded great as usual. So that really got me wondering if the Pro Jr is everything I thought and said it was.

One thing that’s pretty annoying is how unbelievably sensitive the volume and tone pots are. The difference in volume between two and three is just ridiculous, in that it gets real loud real quick. But it doesn’t break up there. You have to get it up to five or six for it to do that. Same with the tone knob. I have to set it to no higher than 2. But if I bump it to even 2 1/2 it gets very bright. I did use it on a blues gig after I first got it and was pretty pleased with how it sounded with my Strat—and I had the volume up to about seven or eight. Broke up very nicely and I didn’t even have to use my overdrive pedal. So now it’s been relegated to being mainly a blues amp and then casual “jazz” gigs with no drums that are very quiet. But I’ve decided to no longer use it for jazz gigs that are louder i.e, with a drummer. It’s not so much about it breaking up but it just doesn’t sound good cranked up because of those weird resonant peaks, most likely caused by the particle board that is used in most cheaper amps like the Pro Jr.

User Info Menu

Thanks El Fundo, appreciate the response. That's why I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. I know they sound good for classic rock and blues, but the loud cleans are what I'm more interested in. For gigs, small combos with a drummer.
    Washburn J600 Jazz
    D'Addario Flat Wounds

User Info Menu

The VHT S6 has really good cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux View Post
    Tube - yes, sorry about that. The SCXD does have the modelling stuff for sure. But there's 2 or 3 settings that are pretty nice for 'us'. Its a nice little amp. Try one if you get the chance.

I think the Epi Electar might fit the category of simple, small tube amps. No idea what it sounds like.
    I had an Electar, 10w, a few years ago. Little clean headroom and somewhat raspy distortion. I ended up using it only as a second amp for stereo effects when playing rock.

User Info Menu

I thought I'd give an update on my cheap little Monoprice 5 watt in this thread. I replaced the 12AX7 with a 12AT7 and got a little more clean headroom, but went ahead and replaced that with a 12AY7 and I am now very happy with the headroom which stays pretty clean up to 5 or 6, then begins to break up. For playing at home, the volume is fine. The simple volume/tone controls are perfect for that application, and the external speaker jack is always there for a nicer sound from a bigger cabinet (which definitely improves things).

Currently at Amazon for $119.99 US I think it's a great bargain and a fun "first" tube amp, or a fun tube amp for just playing at home.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmukav View Post
    Thanks El Fundo, appreciate the response. That's why I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. I know they sound good for classic rock and blues, but the loud cleans are what I'm more interested in. For gigs, small combos with a drummer.
    One other thing: it tends to feedback on certain notes when using my ES 275, perhaps more than any amp I’ve ever owned, most likely due to the cheap particleboard used for the cabinet. And that’s weird, since hollow body guitars are typically the source of feedback, not the amp. Very annoying.

User Info Menu

Palmer Fab 5.
    If you can find one!

User Info Menu

At "El Fundo"

I figured out who you are and it made me chuckle. I took a friend to see you and your brother at one of the local clubs. I thought I heard some Jazzy runs and some altered notes in your soloing on Blues songs. Now, I see why, given your extensive Jazz experience.

Its great having you on this forum. You have conducted yourself with great class.

Now back to the topic at hand. (Maybe I should have used a private message? Sorry if that is the case.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Fundo View Post
    It’s not so much about it breaking up but it just doesn’t sound good cranked up because of those weird resonant peaks, most likely caused by the particle board that is used in most cheaper amps like the Pro Jr.
    I had Mojotone make me a solid 12” cabinet for my Pro Jr III, and I used their Greyhound 12” speaker which is rated at 80 watts. What a difference that made! I’m not knowledgeable enough to speak of its resonant peaks after the mods, but boy did it sound good. As is usually the case I played it for a while then sold it for something else. I wish I had that one back.

User Info Menu

For a while ago Blackstar released their Studio 10 6L6 combo. 10 watts and 1x12" Celestion speaker. Here in Europe it generally costs between 600-700 €.
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Monoprice Stage Right 15W
    All tube, 15W, 12" speaker, FX loop, external speaker out, 25lb, $250
    Cons: No line out.
    Attached Images Attached Images Small, inexpensive tube amps?-monoprice-15w-tube-amp-250c-jpg Small, inexpensive tube amps?-monoprice-15w-tube-amp-250b-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have a Magnatone Varsity 108, 5 watt class A, and it’s ok, but not as great a clean as I’d like and it doesn’t have a headphone jack for me to practice during my insomnia nights. I bought the Bugera V5 and put in a 12AU7 to clean up the headroom, and it was great for two weeks, then it developed a horrible power tube rattle. I took it back to see if they’d replace the tube, and they wouldn’t, so I put the preamp tube back in and returned it instead. It was a sweet deal at $129 but not worth it if it eats tubes. The Monoprice Amps look nice at a really low budget, and the used Blues Jrs are going under $600 in the Guitar Center near my house.

I’m looking to go solid state to get quieter cleans at this point (Saving for the Quilter Interblock 45 pedal amp and an Eminance Patriot Series speaker) and I’ll live with the Maggie for tube drive when I want a crunchy sound.
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat View Post
    Monoprice Stage Right 15W
    All tube, 15W, 12" speaker, FX loop, external speaker out, 25lb, $250
    Cons: No line out.
    Effects Loop will work on this one as a Line Out.
    - Lawson