The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 115

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    And they got the cutaway right. I know it is petty, but the cutaway on the Epi ES-175 Premium drives me nuts. I'm looking for an inexpensive 175 right now, and the Epi is not under consideration, only because they botched the cutaway.

steven
    True about the cutaway indeed! But even the shape of the ES175 cutaway differs: from the 70ies/80ies it has a differently shaped cutaway, with the VOS-models going back to the old shape.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Though I have both the ES175P and the EZR-R, I never looked at the cutaway. So I made a rubbing of each from the back and then stacked them for this picture, and yes the cutaways are rather seriously different, something I had not really noticed. The EZR-R matches the recent Gibson ES175 models. I plan next to look at my VOS 1959 ES175 to see if it's different.

The pink-shaded line in the pic is the EES175P cutaway, the unshaded is the EZR-R cutaway.

Epiphone Zephyr Regent-cutaways-jpg

User Info Menu

I was in a local shop today waiting for my wife, and they have a brand-new NOS Regent, set up next to a brand new Matt black Es-175 Premium. No time to play ( I only checked out the necks), but based on the all-important visual-only test, it fell out like this:

ES175:
    Pros:
    2 pups (I'm more of a blues player)
    No need to swap pups
    Jury out on the harness until I am able to check it out
    inlays are my favorite split parallelogram

Cons:
    Didn't like the flat black AT ALL (but could live with it)
    that cutaway ...
    Cost 50% more (not an issue, as the changes necessary to the Regent would equalize the price)

Regent
    Pros:
    the cutaway ...
    nice finish
    very pretty guitar

Cons:
    single pup
    not a fan of the Epi pups
    no split parallelograms :-(

neither comes with a case, of course.

I have to go in and play them, but I'm leaning hard towards the Regent. I most likely would convert it to a 2 P90 config with a single vol/tone harness, and there are the standard changes - wood bridge, bone nut, tuners, and a 3-parallelogram tailpiece, but that would be just what I'm looking for - other than the inlays.

Steven

User Info Menu

Stevo.... before you plunk your money down, let me ask you this; how often do you think you're going to use a bridge pickup on this guitar? Converting it to a two pickup model is going to seriously (possibly in a negative way) effect the acoustic properties of it. If you're dead set on a two P90 ES175 shape guitar, seek out an Epi ES295. They come standard as what is sounds like you want.....rather than carving into a seemingly scarce ZepReg.

I own an early run (build date is actually late 1998) blonde. If I need a bridge pickup, I grab a different instrument...

Modifying the top on that ZepReg for a P90, and then cutting a 2nd hole for another? I'd advise against.

My $.04 (tax incl)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hello Body

I just bought my ZR 15 days ago.
    I have a Korean model from 2007 that comes from the factory Unsung.
    It's a model with the big hole in F.
    The neck: Mahogany, Back & Sides: Mahogany Laminited, Top: Mapple Laminited

Pickup is 57 Epiphone.

The sound is dark and warm and sound very well for the old jazz sound.
    I started a PAF 57 Gibson and I will do all the electronics again.

It's a pretty hard guitar to find. I also think that Epiphone should make an Es 165 premium model, I think it could have a lot of success. Especially with the mahogany body that gives it that warm and dark sound. mine here in the photos.

A bit coarse with the big hole in F, Your ZR are prettier but mine sound good for me (TMO)
    I salute you from Paris

User Info Menu

Hi
    I think I know this guitar, if you bought it from a french site recently, it got all my interest, and almost purchased it.
    The seller sent me some photos of it, really nice, and really good price (350€?)
    I didn't buy it because I was already interested in another guitar at the time, but it is a great purchase in my opinion
    I knew it was from the Unsung factory because I asked the serial number..
    They are pretty rare, the price is right, really good shape, congratulations!

User Info Menu

Merci !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I love mine too. Installed a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in it. Tried a few others, like a Humbucker-form P90-a-like and one other type of humbucker, but the SDSL really is the ticket.

I wish Epiphone would bring out a Premium model of this as the ES165 Premium. I think it would be popular.Attachment 57999

Lawson, I am putting a SD Set Lover in my Zephyr Regent in a few weeks. If you changed the wiring harness could you let me know the make of the pots, whether they’re audio or linear, make of the cap. I built a harness w 2 CTS metric audio pots and a black bee cap but wasn’t happy with the sound. I’m planning on changing the volume pot to linear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pdxit
    Lawson, I am putting a SD Set Lover in my Zephyr Regent in a few weeks. If you changed the wiring harness could you let me know the make of the pots, whether they’re audio or linear, make of the cap. I built a harness w 2 CTS metric audio pots and a black bee cap but wasn’t happy with the sound. I’m planning on changing the volume pot to linear.
    I haven't changed the wiring harness. I"m thinking about it, but I haven't done anything to it yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto
    I love those, they are very difficult to get in my country
    Difficult to find in Sweden too. I was in a holiday trip to Finland about 1995 and there was a black finished one in a music shop, i liked it very much. I was not prepared to buy any instrument back then, so it was left there. I played unplugged a lengthy time, shop people were nice to allow that. They did not know it was a guitar aimed to jazz, and listened happiy me playing soft jazz. My playing was better than now, age has taken away the best part.

Epi could well make more of these, with floating pick up.

User Info Menu

Unlike Lawson, I did replace the harness in mine. When I got it the original pickup had been replaced with a Gibson P94. When I decided to put a Seth Lover in, I pulled the whole harness out and started from scratch. Being full hollow, it was easy peasy fishing everything in through the pickup hole.Anywho… CTS 525K pots, Vitamin Q PIO cap, Switchcraft jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Zephyr Regent-f0okqnp-jpg Epiphone Zephyr Regent-9ycxhvl-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Unlike Lawson, I did replace the harness in mine. When I got it the original pickup had been replaced with a Gibson P94. When I decided to put a Seth Lover in, I pulled the whole harness out and started from scratch. Being full hollow, it was easy peasy fishing everything in through the pickup hole.Anywho… CTS 525K pots, Vitamin Q PIO cap, Switchcraft jack.
    What value cap did you settle on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What value cap did you settle on?
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Zephyr Regent-cap-zoom-jpg 

User Info Menu

I finally installed the SD Seth Lover pickup in my Zephyr Regent together with a new wiring harness I built; my guitar sounds great. I recommend this pickup for anyone wanting to replace the stock pickup. My guitar is a 2003 reissue from the Peerless factory. It is way clearer and more articulate now than it was with both the stock Epiphone pickup and a SD Benedetto A6 I had installed while waiting for the Seth Lover. My new braided wire harness is a 50's mod with a 500 ohm CTS linear volume pot (metric size) and a 500 ohm CTS audio tone pot (metric size), and a Black Bee .22uf PIO cap. This was the only PIO cap I could get locally. I based the harness on Brian B's photos above (thank you). Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the harness before installing it. The only wire I didn't change was the ground wire from the tailpiece.

User Info Menu

I finally installed the SD Seth Lover pickup in my Zephyr Regent together with a new wiring harness I built; my guitar sounds great. I recommend this pickup for anyone wanting to replace the stock pickup. My guitar is a 2003 reissue from the Peerless factory. It is way clearer and more articulate now than it was with both the stock Epiphone pickup and a SD Benedetto A6 I had installed while waiting for the Seth Lover. My new braided wire harness is a 50's mod with a 500 ohm CTS linear volume pot (metric size) and a 500 ohm CTS audio tone pot (metric size), and a Black Bee .22uf PIO cap. This was the only PIO cap I could get locally. I based the harness on Brian B's photos above (thank you). Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the harness before installing it. The only wire I didn't change was the ground wire from the tailpiece.
    Glad to hear you tried and like it. I based my harness on the 50s Les Paul Junior. I believe its pretty much identical to the ES165 Herb Ellis harness as well.

Cheers!

B.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Has any one played an Ephiphone Zephyr Regent 50 with original mini humbucker pick up?

I'm interest is sound. I know that ts subjective but does it have the old rich woody smoked sound?

User Info Menu

I have had a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent since 1970. It had the original Tone Spectrum pickup. It is not a mini humbucker, those were installed on the Gibson Epiphones after they bought the company. The pickup died in 1995 but I was never happy with it. It was my only guitar from 1970 until around 2003 so I didn't have anything to compare it with but since then I have had a few other guitars. It does have a woody sound that can't be replicated with a poly laminate guitar. Unfortunately, the pickup is installed too high on the bass side so it is boomy and it doesn't have a modern electric guitar sound at all. It's more like an amplified acoustic. I had the insides replaced by Lindy Fralin but don't know any details of what is in it now. It is very loud acoustically, louder than a Gibson ES175. It was difficult to dial in the tone setting. This could have been something to do with the electronics though. If you moved the tone knob a tiny bit, it changed from trebly to too dark. It was also microphonic. I remember being able to hear the drums and electric bass through it sometimes. In summary, the wood is good, but the tone is cowboy primitive, according to my friend and student who knows a lot more about guitars. I still hope to replace the insides of the pickup with a strong humbucker in search of a better tone sometime. In comparison to a Gibson ES175. it doesn't sound as modern or clear.

User Info Menu

I am thinking about upgrading the tuners on my 2003 Peerless Epiphone Zephyr Regent. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for drop in replacement tuners, similar in style and finish to the originals. Any suggestions appreciated.

User Info Menu

I am thinking about upgrading the tuners on my 2003 Peerless Epiphone Zephyr Regent. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for drop in replacement tuners, similar in style and finish to the originals. Any suggestions appreciated.

User Info Menu

I’m thinking seriously about selling my 2002 Sunburst Regent VS but I can’t find any to use for a price comparison. Are they still selling in the $5-600 range?

User Info Menu

no...last i looked they were in the $1k area these days...one of epi's recent best!

cheers

User Info Menu

Hello everyone, i just got offer this used zephyr regent but made in indonesia. Is it still good one? Compare to korea made ? Price is so good around 250$. The seller is in the other city so it might be hard for me to try first

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinkur
    Hello everyone, i just got offer this used zephyr regent but made in indonesia. Is it still good one? Compare to korea made ? Price is so good around 250$. The seller is in the other city so it might be hard for me to try first

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinkur
    for $250 I’d buy it

User Info Menu

$250? I would already be on my way to the seller….