The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

it could very well be that the reverb driver is ss not tube driven!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The tech said there's some SS stuff in there (I think he said some type of heat mechanism... I can't remember exactly). Whatever it was, he said it's probably an improvement in design versus old amps. I don't remember him saying the reverb unit was SS. I can ask when I see him next. The amp is at his shop as we figure out what to do. He was going to try to contact Michael for a schematic so he can pinpoint the issue better. We'll see how that goes.

User Info Menu

Oh, last I read you were returning it because CME was not willing to spend more on troubleshooting. Now they are?

User Info Menu

the point i dont understand is that the maker verellen/ michael said to op that he completely warranties his work..why not let him just have at it???

if this thread hasnt scared him off!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    The tech said there's some SS stuff in there (I think he said some type of heat mechanism... I can't remember exactly).
    He might have mentioned it has a solid state rectifier, which is great unless you’re looking for an amp that compresses (sags) when driven hard.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your troubles, beeswax. Can you play it without the reverb? Take money back from CME for the faulty reverb and resign yourself to not having it. CME would not want to see it back in their inventory, for sure. Ask for an amount that motivates you to keep it. $1400 is a lot to pay for an amp with a faulty reverb.

Your tech should call Ben Verellen. After all, he built it.

I would not use a ground-lifting cheater plug. When you plug your guitar in and touch the strings you become the electrical ground for the amp. At best, it could give you an unpleasant jolt. At worst, it could kill you.

My take on it is this: $1400 can buy you a lot of jazz-flavoured amps; you can find a 16W/19W Carr Sportsman used for about $1150 to $1350. You can find a 14W/28W Carr Rambler used for $1600 to $1750. You can buy a new Vintage Sounds 20W for about $1500. These are Blackface flavoured hardwired amps for the most part. The Carr Sportsman and Rambler have a fast recovery Hexfred Solid-State rectifier with proven pedigree.

Resale plays a huge rôle in my universe because I am not independently wealthy. The Carr amps are proven. You can get back the amount you pay for them when bought used. Vintage Sound Amps are a known quantity with good sound. Brad Sarno of Sarno Music makes an Octal Tube preamp if such is your wont.

(The modelling pedalboards are au courant and en vogue; BF Cyber Monday discount of 15% at Musician's Friend and 8% Backstage Pass points against future purchases put a Boss GT1000, Headrush Pedalboard or Helix LT at $750 or so. $650 buys you a pair of FRFR Headrush 12s with $150 mail-in rebate when bought with the Pedalboard.)

Get your money back while you can. Don't buy Other People's Problems. It looks like a $1400 potato that gets hot in the hands from my cheap seat. I am not sure you can get the $1400 you paid back for it.

My tuppence worth of cheap advice.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-26-2018 at 05:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Using a cheater plug is a common practice. The suggestion was only to use it to determine if the hum was no longer present, not as a long term fix as suggested above. Audiophiles have used cheater plugs, without issue, for decades, at their own peril

Jabberwoky, good advice, and advice I wound up following.
    I returned the amp to CME. Maybe they will relist it, and someone else will get it and like it. Great sound, but it seemed like more problem than it was worth. I did have the option to ship it to Michael for repair, but honestly I wasn't comfortable doing that -- seemed like a risk to think UPS wouldn't mess it up in return shipment. Just wasn't in the mood for the headache so I returned it and got one of those Black Friday deal Supros on sale for $650 (I need a small gig combo). It's a more generic amp, but I'm sure it will work out of the box and can be made to sound cool with some tweaking. Better options for repair if anything goes wrong, too. But yeah, if any of you guys want that Sequel maybe hit up CME and inquire about it. They should get it in a few days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    Jabberwoky, good advice, and advice I wound up following.
    I returned the amp to CME. Maybe they will relist it, and someone else will get it and like it. Great sound, but it seemed like more problem than it was worth. I did have the option to ship it to Michael for repair, but honestly I wasn't comfortable doing that -- seemed like a risk to think UPS wouldn't mess it up in return shipment. Just wasn't in the mood for the headache so I returned it and got one of those Black Friday deal Supros on sale for $650 (I need a small gig combo). It's a more generic amp, but I'm sure it will work out of the box and can be made to sound cool with some tweaking. Better options for repair if anything goes wrong, too. But yeah, if any of you guys want that Sequel maybe hit up CME and inquire about it. They should get it in a few days.
    Now that the amp is returned, what price did CME charge you for the amp? Michael is local to me.

User Info Menu

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread...but....FWIW...

I just noticed that Fane is selling the AXA 12" speaker in 8 and 16 Ohms once again through a business called Sparrow Sons on Reverb.

I'm considering contacting Ben Verellen to see if he'd be willing to swap out the current WGS12L speaker with the reissue AXA 12.

Anyone know if the reverb hum issue has been resolved in newer Sequel Ravines?

User Info Menu

I believe Raezer's Edge is now building the SeQuel amps, so I'd reach out to them with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I believe Raezer's Edge is now building the SeQuel amps, so I'd reach out to them with any questions.
    Wow. What happened to Ravine?

Landwatersky, the noise was an issue for me, but it might not be for some if they don't use the reverb or use it on very low settings (it was somewhat quiet here and usable around 1 or 2). Hopefully my YT video is still up so you can hear it and decide for yourself, though I think I forgot to demo it on 1.

The amp had a really interesting sound. Very pristine highs with definition and a lot of power and definition in the bass notes. I loved it other than the reverb.

User Info Menu

marcwhy, as soon as you said Raezer's Edge I remembered where I'd seen SeQuel amps recently! Thanks for the reminder.

beeswax, thanks for chiming in. Yes, your excellent demo was very illuminating. Very nice of you to post. It was so good that it planted a lot of doubt in my mind as to whether the Ravine was worth pursuing.

I've bought a number of cabs from Raezer's Edge so I will check in with them.

Thanks for both of your feedback. Very helpful!

- Ken
    Last edited by LandWaterSky; 09-22-2019 at 02:09 AM.