The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 179

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    I couldn’t find anything about a Lollar floater P90.
    It's not this one? It's available in black as well.

P-90 DogEar: Lollar Pickups

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe? I think I’d prefer Anico 3 and it’s also hard to determine if it’s an option to have it as a floater...or am I missing something?

User Info Menu

Pete B can make you a P90 as a floater, I'd bet.

Kent Armstrong also makes a handwound floating single coil pick up which is tapped so that with a switch you can have a hotter or less hot pickup, depending on whether you want it to sound like a P90 or a DeArmond 1100. There are a few examples of that pickup on YouTube and it's very nice sounding; I have never tried one bit have been tempted. As a floater it attaches to the pickguard. Order direct from Kent for the best deal.

User Info Menu

You get two magnet sets of your choice with a VV pickup. It's easy to swap them out. And if you find you don't like either, you can get another set for almost nothing.

User Info Menu

Just sent Pete an email. I asked for some suggestions and gave him some details as to what I’d like to get in terms of tone. Hopefully, he will get back to me with some advice and we can do some business.

User Info Menu

Wow, Pete responded already. He suggested this one and I have to say it looks pretty sweet. Medium output and his recommendation for the EXL-1. Would this just attach to the underside of the pickguard with adhesive tape or would it need to be tapped and a screw used? Never installed a floater before.
    D'Angelico EXL-1-48dce7d7-2561-4154-a0a5-ad4bfaf76f7b-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Wow, Pete responded already. He suggested this one and I have to say it looks pretty sweet. Medium output and his recommendation for the EXL-1. Would this just attach to the underside of the pickguard with adhesive tape or would it need to be tapped and a screw used? Never installed a floater before.
    https://www.archtop.com/PageMill_Res...uctions_p1.pdf

User Info Menu

Depending on how permanent you want it, you could use mounting tape, screws, or adhesive (epoxy, cyanoacrylate, UV resin, et al). I sort of like screws, because it's easy to remove the pickup if necessary, and they allow for some readjustment if that's necessary.

User Info Menu

I’m a bit torn on which pickup to order. I think I’d really like the VV CC floater...especially after hearing multiple videos of it. However, I also really like the KA PAF. Prices are close. The CC wouldn’t involve cutting the Pg but that’s no real issue. Has anyone used both and would maybe chime in with their impressions?

User Info Menu

Definitely two tonally different pickups. I'd go with the CC as I dig the single coil tone from the early jazz period. If you prefer more of the humbucker sound, then go that way. The CC looks cooler and we all know... guitars that look cooler sound better

Just sayin.... (no charge for the virtual installation

D'Angelico EXL-1-guitar-cc-jpg

User Info Menu

I like the DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup. I have a VV CCrider pickup, and it's okay, but I prefer the DA. It's entirely subjective, though, and entirely up to the preferences of the player.

User Info Menu

I had the same guitar in a burst for a while and the Shadow AZ48 transformed the amplified sound from ok to very very smooth and nice. I also spent a bunch of time mating the saddle foot to the top and felt that gave
    an improvement in tone.

Will

User Info Menu

Call me shallow but I just hate the look of the Zoller. Having the black matte finish with the font of the maker on the pickup printed on it ruins the aesthetics of the guitar for me.

User Info Menu

I've had 3 of these. The first two were nice, but I didn't connect and sold them . I had buyers remorse and bought another one, a 2017 Blue.. which I had before. I had to recondition the neck, change strings, intonate , relocate the bridge so that the strings crossed over each pole piece.. It plays great now. Glad I reconsidered and bought again. This one is a keeper. No regrets..

User Info Menu

I have the 2014 one. Tbh, I like the previous generations (until 2016) more than the current generation.
    It's a long journey with this guitar to find the tone and playability that I prefer. And after 4 years, I'm finally bond with her.
    The guitar itself is really good for the price, the wood they use in this guitar is good, the flame maple grain, the spruce grains are tight, and the one that I like the most is the dark and tight rosewood fingerboard (I re-radiused the fingerboard to 12''. The color and the grain are still the same so they're not filled or black-stained rosewood. I rarely see rosewood fb that good) + real MOP inlays.
    But, the electronics (asian KA, pots) are so-so.. so I changed them.
    Here's she now..
    D'Angelico EXL-1-dangelico-jpg
    the looks is quite different from the original but I personally really like it and feel like I have my own signature guitar.
    Last edited by nadtorus; 09-25-2020 at 02:11 PM.

User Info Menu

So you attached the pickup to the body.. that's interesting. Would love to hear this one.. I kinda regret selling the 2007 blonde oneI had. It was made differently. it had a great tone.. but again. didn't have the energy I was looking for.

User Info Menu

My EXL-1 came with a hard case, but I'd like to get a cheap gig bag for local trips. For $65, I was thinking that the stock gig bag will do the trick. For those of you who have it, are you satisfied with it, or would you recommend spending a bit more ($150 max.) for something a bit more sturdy. I'm thinking more about fabric quality, durable zipper, etc. rather than stiffness or extra padding, which isn't a big concern for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpiazza
    My EXL-1 came with a hard case, but I'd like to get a cheap gig bag for local trips. For $65, I was thinking that the stock gig bag will do the trick. For those of you who have it, are you satisfied with it, or would you recommend spending a bit more ($150 max.) for something a bit more sturdy. I'm thinking more about fabric quality, durable zipper, etc. rather than stiffness or extra padding, which isn't a big concern for me.

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd leave my comments here for what it's worth, probably some more experienced players have contributed to this thread but worth a shot.

I've tried the walnut satin ExL 1 and must say for the price tag (£859) I wasn't as blown away as I expected. Whilst these guitars are no doubt great looking and solidly built laminates, the neck just felt a bit "off" for me. Not the most comfortable neck I've played in a hollow body.

The sound, well the floating pickup just packed a bit of output for me as I had to keep turning the amp volume up to try and get the sound out. The tone knob didn't really seem that responsive either. Seemed like you didn't get a very wide tonal variety when manipulating volume / tone knob.

There were a couple of rough frets here and there which maybe is a QC thing.

I was disappointed as everytime I walked passed this guitar at the shop I just loved the way it looked (and still do) but for this price, decided to save some more and maybe go for something else. A second hand solid top maybe. Who knows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thatjazzguy
    Just thought I'd leave my comments here for what it's worth, probably some more experienced players have contributed to this thread but worth a shot...

I've tried the walnut satin ExL 1 and must say for the price tag (£859) I wasn't as blown away as I expected. Whilst these guitars are no doubt great looking and solidly built laminates, the neck just felt a bit "off" for me. Not the most comfortable neck I've played in a hollow body.
    If you like the look, you might want to find a used Peerless Monarch, or really anything from the Peerless line, as they seem to have based their designs on the guitars that they built. I have an Imperial that is a really, really great guitar, but it is fully carved and now about $2.5K US. I've played their laminate instruments like the Monarch and it was a really fine player, great fit and finish, sounded great in the store, etc. I wanted to buy it but I already have more archtops than I will ever play. But if I was looking for another on a budget, I'd be looking for a Peerless; the build quality is still there. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Well, let’s face it. The EXL-1 has been around since 2004? That’s going on 20 years, with lots of different versions of the same guitar.

I don’t feel the current versions are equivalent to the originals. But if you buy one, you know going in that the first thing you’re going to do is change the pickup and pots.

rp, the originator of this thread ten years ago is no longer with the forum. But I recall back in 2012 I purchased a beautiful wine red version of the EXL-1 from him. He didn’t know who I was because the guitar was purchased on eBay. $850, and the prettiest one I’ve ever seen. It was very striking. And those generation’s of the EXL-1 sounded great right out of the box.

But don’t take my word for it, take rpguitar’s.

User Info Menu

From the D'Angelico website it appears that the disappointing model was a Premier and not from the Excel line. (i.e the only model listed with the Walnut Satin finish is a Premier).
    I have played a Premier EXL-1 in the past and compared to the Excel EXL-1, I also found it underwhelming. It is important to clarify which model was actually demoed so the comments are appropriate and not applied to the wrong version of this guitar. Made in Korea or Indonesia seems to make a difference as well as the materials used.. Compare the specs and you will see plenty of differences.. Premier EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars
    Excel EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars
    Regards,
    Eddie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fusejaz
    From the D'Angelico website it appears that the disappointing model was a Premier and not from the Excel line. (i.e the only model listed with the Walnut Satin finish is a Premier).
    I have played a Premier EXL-1 in the past and compared to the Excel EXL-1, I also found it underwhelming. It is important to clarify which model was actually demoed so the comments are appropriate and not applied to the wrong version of this guitar. Made in Korea or Indonesia seems to make a difference as well as the materials used.. Compare the specs and you will see plenty of differences.. Premier EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars
    Excel EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars
    Regards,
    Eddie
    Well said, Eddie!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the whole line of D'angelico guitars from Asia have gone too far and devalued even the original ones in some respects. The very first copies were the Vestax ones from the late 1990's through about 2005. These are great guitars and done with taste and expertise. They are however not real D'angelico guitars but very high-quality jazz guitars. Then somewhere around 2006 they had huge blow out on D'angelico Excel's that were 17 inch pressed tops and floating pickups. I bought one and frankly it was a fine guitar. I paid $800 and sold it for $800 about 16 months after I bought it.

Since that time the whole D'angelico guitar line went into complete downspin. They tried to make very cheap imitations that had at least some look of a D'angelico guitar. This is exactly the opposite of what John D'angelico did in his legacy of guitar building. John made the guitar great with regards to construction and carving regardless of the model. As the guitar got more appointments the price went up because of details in building and gingerbread. Naturally the price of the guitar was more. However as to the sound and playability, that did not change. It is easy to find the lower model original D'angelico guitars that had incredible sound. Case in point......I owned a 1937 Style B that sounded better than another Excel that I owned from 1953.

In short the current D'angelico guitars made that I see all over the place are not helping the cause. They downgrade the original name in concept, and I am not sure what effect they have on the original D'angelico's. That is an interesting question for another thread for sure ( someone start it). In all I would avoid all but the Vestax ones if I was looking for a jazz guitar that was substantial in quality.

User Info Menu

I don't think there ever was an original D'Angelico concept with a craft or material connection to guitars made by John D'Angelico. Nor was any intended. Use of the name and lame design bits was just to get the guitars to market and sell them at a price point. I have no issue with that. We all know that 'Granny Smith' pies at the grocery store are not made by a gray haired lady in an Iowa farmhouse. We all know the D'Angelico EXL-1 has nothing to do with John D'Angelico.

They serve a market and I like their guitars for what they are. Used Excel EXL-1's are a real bargain. Great place to start with a well made, nice looking guitar that is a great candidate for pickup swaps. If I were starting out, this is probably what I would get.