The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

Conti's videos blow me away, but what about the guitar. Anyone have one, played on one, like them, dislike them etc. Looks like all the great guitar ideas rolled into one darn nice Jazz or whatever guitar. It's even a 24 fretter with an ebony fretboard.

What do you think?

Ron

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think you can do better for the price. For $2k, you can get a solid wood guitar, instead of just a solid top. At that price point, there are quite a few options. However, that combo of features might be just what someone wants. YMMV.

User Info Menu

I looked at it and thought it looked pretty good. The 24 fret neck is nice in some ways, but I worry that you have to compromise the neck pickup position a little as a result. No one guitar can do everything though!

User Info Menu

My Mention of the Robert Conti guitar got picked up by a Conti customer, who shot it to the Conti office and a nice lady named Ann in Customer Service sent me the following message. I think that it is a gold star for the Conti organization when their customers and the Customer Service folks are alert to what's happening in the world. This was in a response to someone who wrote that for this kind of money you could get an all wood guitar, as if the Conti was made from plywood or something. I don't know-anyway I think the guitar is really neat and stand AMAZED at Robert Conti's playing skills and teaching method.

My question is if I am advanced enough to be considered a beginner with his method of instruction. Right now I doubt it.

Here is her message:

Hi Ron,

One of our customers saw your question and he sent us a link to your post in the forum. The Conti Guitar IS Solid Wood, Top, Sides and Back. It is unfortunate that a small group of people in those newsgroups continuously try to discredit others with misrepresentations of fact, especially against successful artists. As you will discover, the people who dispense opinions in an attempt to appear as knowledgeable actually have no verifiable credentials as to the ability to play or teach. For accurate information, please visit the Conti Guitar page to see the actual specs, and numerous customer testimonials. Also, see the viewer comments on the You Tube NAMM videos that were just posted yesterday. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kindly,

Ann, Customer Service

Video Clips From 2010 NAMM Expo
    Part One:

Part Two:

Have a nice day,

Ron

User Info Menu

Tell Ann not to be dissin' senior members here. Bob Conti and his method get's plenty of 'love' on this site by some. (some like it , others..... not so much)

No need to spew all that nonsense about who can play and who can't just because somebody made a mistake about wood.

By the way I don't see that Bob is member here. Perhaps he would like to join and get in on some of the FREE advice that get's given away here by some of the members like comp studies , chord melodies, rootless voicings studies, etc.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a negative response. I checked the Conti site before I posted, because I was unsure about how much of it was solid. The site says solid spruce top, but does not mention back and side material, that I read.

Besides, plywood jazz guitars are considered by many pros to be superior to solid wood ones. Look at a roster of guys playing laminates, Jimmy Bruno, John Pizzarelli, Jim Hall, Pat Metheny, Pat Martino, et al. Not exactly bottom of the barrell.

Not sure how pointing out construction features and the fact that many guitars are avialable at that price point could be considered misrepresenting or discrediting. Also not sure what other posters she might be talking about.

I agree about their customer service. The one time I called in the past about a product (don't recall which), I experienced the same excellent service. I wonder if they get bashed on Harmony Central or some other site? I see differing opinions about his stuff, but not sure I have read people bashing him or his products here, or on a couple other sites I frequent.

With regard to his method, one of the beauties of it is, you can be a beginner, and get up and running pretty quickly. There are some limits to his approach, but I think he really aims at beginner and intermediate students with his material. As an addition, I would like to say I own both his CM books, his lines book, 3-4 of his CM videos, 2-3 of his lines vids, 2 of his performance cds, and have used parts of his CM arrangements he has posted in JJG over the years. So, I am a pretty good customer one would think. However, I am not a Conti apologist, and will state what I think.
    Last edited by derek; 02-01-2010 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmm, a very nice solid wood thinline archtop for $1800, how do they do it at that price point? Just curious.

What is the effect of 24 frets on playability and tone?

User Info Menu

Ok, one thing that stands out to me from looking at the pictures is the tunomatic screws strait into the top, ala my CS-356 as opposed mounting onto a wooden bridge base that then has full contact with the top, like the more modern L5, does that mean is has a center block like a traditional semi-hollow and is not really a thinline archtop. Seems like not really having a full footing contact between the bridge & top would defeat a lot of the purpose of having a solid top wood guitar. What am I missing here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Hmm, a very nice solid wood thinline archtop for $1800, how do they do it at that price point? Just curious.
    If it's made by Peerless, then it's made in China, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    What is the effect of 24 frets on playability and tone?
    I never bought into the "the neck pickup must be over the "24th fret" position." Is that what you are thinking about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by riovine
    Ok, one thing that stands out to me from looking at the pictures is the tunomatic screws strait into the top, ala my CS-356 as opposed mounting onto a wooden bridge base that then has full contact with the top, like the more modern L5, does that mean is has a center block like a traditional semi-hollow and is not really a thinline archtop. Seems like not really having a full footing contact between the bridge & top would defeat a lot of the purpose of having a solid top wood guitar. What am I missing here.
    It must have a block of wood under the bridge in the body. It would either be a "floating block" meaning it doesn't touch the back or it spans from front to back. Since this is a thinline, acoustic volume isn't a goal. Maybe it's more about minimizing feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    If it's made by Peerless, then it's made in China, eh?

I never bought into the "the neck pickup must be over the "24th fret" position." Is that what you are thinking about?
    Peerless made in Korea - factory in Busan, I believe.

The Conti guitar looks nice; however, I wouldn't buy a guitar online, unseen. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Even so, the guitar looks much more pleasant than the comments from Customer Service. "Kindly"? Not as such.
    Last edited by mangotango; 02-02-2010 at 10:14 AM.

First of all: I am an ameteur guitarist

I do not understand the problems with this post. Robert Conti's guitar has certain characteristics: there will be people who will like and others not. Is it the best guitar in the world? Of course not. But some people believe is excellent value for money and some of its features appeal to us very much: thinline, 24 frets, radius very flat, very low action ... What is the problem?

I have the misfortune what in my country I can't choose a lot and I have to buy often without play a guitar. It's unfortunate, but it's the true. I would be able to compare the Conti with Eastmans, other Peerless, with D'Angelico Korean ,.... but I could not do. I liked the sound heard in the youtubes and JJG lessons and I bought it. Am I sorry? Absolutely not!

I do not make propaganda of the guitar. I would love to try one Sadowski and have an old L-5 .... But for now, The Conti makes its function: easy to play with good sound and a good price.

And the deal for the purchase of the guitar was exquisite: in two days the guitar was at home (Barcelona, Spain) from Las Vegas, NV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    First of all: I am an ameteur guitarist

I do not understand the problems with this post. Robert Conti's guitar has certain characteristics: there will be people who will like and others not. Is it the best guitar in the world? Of course not. But some people believe is excellent value for money and some of its features appeal to us very much: thinline, 24 frets, radius very flat, very low action ... What is the problem?

I have the misfortune what in my country I can't choose a lot and I have to buy often without play a guitar. It's unfortunate, but it's the true. I would be able to compare the Conti with Eastmans, other Peerless, with D'Angelico Korean ,.... but I could not do. I liked the sound heard in the youtubes and JJG lessons and I bought it. Am I sorry? Absolutely not!

I do not make propaganda of the guitar. I would love to try one Sadowski and have an old L-5 .... But for now, The Conti makes its function: easy to play with good sound and a good price.

And the deal for the purchase of the guitar was exquisite: in two days the guitar was at home (Barcelona, Spain) from Las Vegas, NV.
    Not sure who you are directing your questions to. Really, there is no problem with this thread, or for that matter, this guitar that I see. The OP asked about it, I mentioned that there is lots of competition at this price point, so one could find something better. I also stated that it might be just what someone wants.

I stated it has a solid top, but didn't see initially in the specs that it is all solid wood. I was corrected by Ron that it is indeed all solid wood. No big deal. We talk about all sorts of guitars on this site. Some we like more than others, and everyone has their own opinion.

You clearly like the Conti guitar, and that is great. Nothing like having a guitar that speaks to and inspires you.

User Info Menu

Guys,

I don't want to get in the middle of this. These specs are listed on the Conti website.

I don't know Conti from Jack but from his vids he can play the heck out of the guitar. It is also evident that he is a very fine businessman. That dude can market!

Specifications

Headstock
    Shape
    Traditional Style
    Name Inlay
    Same As Logo Design
    Logo
    Mother Of Pearl
    Binding
    White/Black Triple
    Truss Rod Cover
    Black/White
    Machine Heads
    Grover GH109
    Neck
    Wood
    Maple
    Fingerboard
    Ebony
    Scale
    625 mm (24.6")
    Radius
    406.4mm (16.0")
    Width at Nut
    43 mm (1.69")
    Width at the end fret
    57 mm (2.25")
    Neck Joint
    Set In Neck @16th Fret
    Number Of Frets
    Strings
    GHS - Robert Conti Preferred Gauges: 11-14-20w-28-38-48
    Binding
    White/Black
    Fingerboard Inlays
    Mother Of Pearl & Abalone
    Nut
    Bone
    Body
    Body Shape
    Thin Line Archtop
    Solid Spruce
    Back
    Solid Maple
    Sides
    Solid Maple
    Cutaway
    Shallow Florentine For Easy AccessTo The Upper Register
    Finish
    Antique Sunburst High Gloss Polyurethane
    Body depth
    44 mm (1.73")
    Body width
    435 mm (17.13")
    Sound Hole & Binding
    F Holes, White
    Top Binding
    White/Black Triple
    Bridge
    Tune-O-Matic Type
    Pick Guard
    Rosewood, White/Black Triple binding
    Tail Piece
    Rosewood
    Electronics
    Pickup
    1 Humbucker (Epiphone '57 Classic Style Alnico-V Magnet)
    Controls
    1 Volume, 1 Tone As Pictured
    Output Jack
    Approx. 4” From End Pin
    Hardware
    Gold Finish
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-03-2010 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I stated it has a solid top, but didn't see initially in the specs that it is all solid wood. I was corrected by Ron that it is indeed all solid wood.
    So I go back to my original question, from my experience an all solid top it typically used to provide better acoustic properties by a better string vibration transfer. Why is the bridge then apparently mounted (i.e. screwed) directly into some kind of internal mounting block with no bridge footing to transfer any (or very little) string energy to the top. What is then the selling point of the all solid top when in this case it seems a (pretty) laminate would be a better choice.

User Info Menu

Riovine - good question! And no answer from me although I note that the guitar is dimensionally similar to the very fine ES-330TDC in relative size and body thickness. The 330 is also a fully hollow guitar (albeit laminated construction) and has the TOM bridge mounted in the manner that you observed. That makes me curious as to whether the more modern version - with solid wood - sounds any better than my '64 ES-330. I'd love to A-B the two, should anyone care to lend me their Conti for a few hours

cheers,
    randyc

User Info Menu

MJirish,

I'm glad that it appears my suspicion that you were posting spam was incorrect. I apologize.

I really enjoyed your perspective and thoughtful posts. I hope you'll become a regular member here.

So I go back to my original question, from my experience an all solid top it typically used to provide better acoustic properties by a better string vibration transfer. Why is the bridge then apparently mounted (i.e. screwed) directly into some kind of internal mounting block with no bridge footing to transfer any (or very little) string energy to the top. What is then the selling point of the all solid top when in this case it seems a (pretty) laminate would be a better choice.
    Riovine,

I found that a way a guitar sounds sometimes defies logic. For instance, I had assumed a floating pu would be better as it would allow the top to vibrate freely, something I thought was important if you were going to buy a carved solid top top guitar.

Then I sat down and played a bunch of archtops side by side and found I liked the archtops with a mounted pu better (that is -I liked them better when amplified).

I think you have to test drive a guitar and do a bunch of side by side comparisons with other guitars while keeeping an open mind.

The way it sounds and feels to you is where the rubber meets the road.
    Last edited by fep; 02-03-2010 at 09:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Beats me. I don't think I can recall ever seeing a solid wood thinline like that. And yes, having the bridge mounted to the top, assuming it is, would greatly reduce vibration of the top. However, like having buckers mounted in the top, it would also help reduce feedback.

Like I said upstream, it is an interesting combination of features.

User Info Menu

Well, there's the Byrdland, solid top + back, although not as skinny as the Conti guitar photos suggest. B'land is in a league of its own, I guess (paraphrasing Derek's comments above) with the "interesting combination of features".

User Info Menu

Hi Guys... my first post here... but I've been following Dirk's Website for a few years already.

Anyway, great thread on this Conti Guitar. I, myself, have been eyeing this guitar for over a year now and I think I am ready to order it. I always wished I had a chance to at least try it once before I buy it. Plus Shipping to Canada is not the cheapest, or to return it in 24hrs if I don't like it.... I've been hoping to wait until I go down to Vagas one of these days where I can both try it and bring it back with me....

My wife's 50th birthday is in March... she just asked if I would take her to Vegas...LOL LOL.... So it seems my wish may come true after all!

User Info Menu

I ended up buying this guitar last year (The Conti Equity, by Peerless), although we never made it to Vegas so I had them ship it to me. It was a real pleasure dealing with them with great follow-up for a small issue that got promtly fixed. [One of the abalone inlays on the fretboard had a tiny cavity... we found a wonderful luthier where I live here in Calgary (Jim Mozell) and Mr Conti himself spoke to him at length... anyway long story short... the cavity got fixed.]

I've had this guitar now for over a year. At the time a hard case was not available so I found one made for a deep jumbo accoustic and had a foam pillow made so the Conti's thinline body will securely fit in it. I also copied the logo and stenciled it on the case using gold paint... it looks wonderful.

The guitar is beautiful and weighs 6 lbs. so it's pretty light. I own two other more expensive guitars (a Gibson semi-hollow Custom Shop ES-339 and a Gibson Les Paul) and I love the sound of the '57 Gibson classic neck humbuckers... the Conti's Epiphone Pick up just didn't do it for me... so I just had Jim Mozell replace it for me with a Gibson '57 Classic. While at it I also changed the knobs with Gibson Black top hats with gold reflectors. The problem with the original knobs was the lack of numbers. It was hard to keep the tone where I wanted with a quick glance/adjustment. I felt the pods maybe needed to be changed too, but Jim Mozell didn't think so and convinced me to keep them.

Overall, the guitar is well made and sounds fabulous.... although compared with the Gibson, I find the sound a little on the bright side... it must be the Maple neck versus the Mahogany Gibson necks... so I have to keep turning down the tone... Also the solid spruce top makes a difference... it need to open up a little... like a good wine, it need time and a lot of playing... so I am woriking on it.

Also, I am not sure about the 24 frets part... yet! For me, I am finding it a little harder to play as you really notice the loooong neck... (and the huge body @ 17.3"). My arm gets almost tired until I get used to it. The problem is when I switch between the Gibsons and the Conti it takes a little time to get used to the positions... everything moves on me LOL...

For now, I keep running back to my ES-339... it just feels and sounds perfect... but also it is my most expensive guitar and I am used to it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by fep

Riovine,

I found that a way a guitar sounds sometimes defies logic. For instance, I had assumed a floating pu would be better as it would allow the top to vibrate freely, something I thought was important if you were going to buy a carved solid top top guitar.

Then I sat down and played a bunch of archtops side by side and found I liked the archtops with a mounted pu better (that is -I liked them better when amplified).
    Amen. On youtube there is a guy who calls himself dutchbopper, and he has a video posted where he plays 4 different archtops, only you don't know what he's playing because the screen is scrambled. The sound quality is pretty good. The 4 guitars are an L5, ES-175, Tal Farlow, and I think either a Super 400 or an ES330. Most people end up liking the ES-175 best...a laminated top guitar.

As to the specific question of the logic of a solid top given the absence of a bridge touching the top, all I can say is that guitar string vibrations are very complex things, and the final product depends on EVERYTHING in the guitar. Bridge type, bridge material, bridge attachment design, nut material, body woods used, overall weight of the guitar, thickness and dimensions of the guitar, position of the pickup, etc. As we all know, the entire guitar vibrates (otherwise headstock tuners wouldn't work), and the vibrations of the body feedback onto and effect the vibration of the strings.

I think for a purely acoustic instrument, the characteristics of the top and the connection of the top to the bridge, fingerboard, etc., are much more important to sound than in a magnetic-pickup guitar. But for the latter, it's a big mystery I think.

I think I'm going to buy a Conti guitar just to play around with it and compare to my laminated top instruments.

I just ordered a Conti Equity. Black, 2-pickup. I admit this was an impulse buy, but I'm so intrigued by it. I also called them in Vegas to ask questions, and Bob Conti actually got on the phone and chatted. Very, very nice guy. We talked for probably 30 minutes on a variety of subjects. He wasn't pushy or anything; we were talking about politics, the music business, etc. But he was so nice I ended up deciding I wanted one of his guitars. We'll see how it sounds...

User Info Menu

Peerless are made in Korea-use to make guitars for Gibson and Fender mainly until the relative companies switched to China-then went under their own name of Peerless.Been making guitars since 1970.

User Info Menu

I don't have one but know several people who do. Of the ones who are also members here, there's Will Kriski (-who also has a Facebook page about working with Conti's material). He'd be a good resource for you. He knows more people who have Conti guitars than I do, and as I mentioned, he has one. You can probably find a video of him playing it...