The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I would clean it up and get rid of the f hole tape crap. Tommy did not care and it does nothing for this guitar except to detract.
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. If you became the owner of Willie Nelson's guitar, Trigger, would you patch the hole or replace the top? If you had Snowy White's Les Paul, would you clean the gunk off of it? If you had Dizzy's horn, would you have the bell straightened so it doesn't tilt upwards? Would you take the toothbrush off of Pat Methany's ES-175? Would you replace the chicken head knobs on Barney Kessel's guitar with vintage correct ones? Would you restore the finish on a Stratocaster that Jimi Hendrix burned up?

This guitar is more than a vintage ES-175 - it has Tedesco Wabi-Sabi. I already have another 1956 ES-175 that doesn't have tape residue on it. It wouldn't make sense to try to change Tommy's modifications. Then it would no longer be Tommy Tedesco's guitar, it would be my guitar. The guitar I want is Tommy Tedesco's guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. If you became the owner of Willie Nelson's guitar, Trigger, would you patch the hole or replace the top? If you had Snowy White's Les Paul, would you clean the gunk off of it? If you had Dizzy's horn, would you have the bell straightened so it doesn't tilt upwards? Would you take the toothbrush off of Pat Methany's ES-175? Would you replace the chicken head knobs on Barney Kessel's guitar with vintage correct ones? Would you restore the finish on a Stratocaster that Jimi Hendrix burned up?

This guitar is more than a vintage ES-175 - it has Tedesco Wabi-Sabi. I already have another 1956 ES-175 that doesn't have tape residue on it. It wouldn't make sense to try to change Tommy's modifications. Then it would no longer be Tommy Tedesco's guitar, it would be my guitar. The guitar I want is Tommy Tedesco's guitar.
    What's with the pickup? In the OP picture, it looks like a Kent Armstrong 12 pole pickup in the black ebony-like stuff. Did TT change out the pickup?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Gotta love that Van Epps String Damper too. It looks like an original built by George himself. If you're interested, more info on this Scotty Moore page... Scotty Moore - String Dampers
    Yeah it says Vanco on it! In my book, that is worth nearly the price of the guitar as far as collectibles go. Where else are you going to find one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Yeah it says Vanco on it! In my book, that is worth nearly the price of the guitar as far as collectibles go. Where else are you going to find one?
    Definitely a Van Eps -- Vanco was his company. Here's another good site about these string dampers. Lots of pics...
    VintageArchtop.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What's with the pickup? In the OP picture, it looks like a Kent Armstrong 12 pole pickup in the black ebony-like stuff. Did TT change out the pickup?
    According to the auction description it "one of the first Dan Armstrong models" (Kent Armstrong's father). The auction house says the top has been rerouted to accommodate the pickup. It looks like the pickguard was never altered to adapt to the pickup. You can see the pin that goes into the neck is backed out and the pickup is pushing the pickguard askew. Many of the pictures of this guitar show the P-90 pickup, including one from 1979. Kent took over his father's business around 1970, so we already know that one can't rely on the accuracy of Heritage Auctions' descriptions. You are probably right. I guess we shall see when the guitar arrives in 2-3 weeks!
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images Tommy Tedesco's 1956 Gibson ES-175-screen-shot-2018-11-11-11-01-13-pm-jpg 

User Info Menu

Nice! Of course it's more of the unique TT vibe that makes that guitar special. Perfect for an archaeology inclining person. I teach archaeology and excavate every summer. Totally get your attitude about this guitar.

User Info Menu

Tedesco's guitar is a museum piece.

Not to be played really, just displayed for enjoyment like art.

You could never change a thing on it or all the mojo would be lost. That would negate the whole reason for buying such a guitar.

If you just want a playable guitar buy another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Tedesco's guitar is a museum piece.

Not to be played really, just displayed for enjoyment like art.

You could never change a thing on it or all the mojo would be lost. That would negate the whole reason for buying such a guitar.

If you just want a playable guitar buy another.
    My sentiments exactly, but I will do what I need to do to make it playable - unless it would require a major overhaul. All I know is that it has been in its case for the last 21 years, so who knows what the neck is going to look like and I know there is a 3-4inch crack in the treble side waist. So it will need some tender loving by my trusted guitarman to keep things in check, but that is all. And it will have a dedicated display case with humidity and temperature monitoring. I believe it may be pictured on this album cover in its pre-duct tape days, but it has been duct taped since at least the late 1970's, so most of its life.
    Ted
    Tommy Tedesco's 1956 Gibson ES-175-61njt67a9ql-_sx355_-jpg

User Info Menu

here's young tommy t in peter gunn episode..season 1-the frog...looks like tommys playing his es150 tho...he's featured in more scenes in that episode...classic, the band just sits there while peter gunn and the woman club owner-mother- get slapped around...gotta watch those fingers!!! haha

shorty rogers on flugel, victor feldman on vibes

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow -- great Shorty Rogers solo!

User Info Menu

Very cool....congrats!

User Info Menu

so what is the deal with the tape?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Damp out feedback?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I just noticed the black tape on the other side!

Must be to negate feedback.

If it is just going to be displayed why do anything to the guitar?
    Last edited by Drumbler; 11-17-2018 at 08:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Good thing you bought this because if someone gave it to me I would completely get it back in as original 175 shape as possible. Incuding the tape residue and pickups unless they sound better than the original ones with the 175. Although seems as a 1956 that might be impossible. I know everyone disagrees with me on this but it is still Tommy's guitar, even Chet Atkins cut holes for pickups in his D'angelico and then came to his senses and had John put a new top back on the guitar.

The side crack is probably nothing they are not usually things that cause any major structual problems unless other things are seen.

Ok feel free to give me the business on getting TT's guitar modified, I understand it is just me.

User Info Menu

It's not just you. It's just wood, metal, plastic, and glue, not some sacred object from the goddess herself. Idolizing guitars makes no sense to me, no matter who owned and abused them in the past.

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. It has been entertaining and I anticipated that it would provoke some different opinions. I already have a 1956 ES-175 in original condition. I will say I didn't buy Tommy Tedesco's guitar to make it like the one I already have. I might put a P-90 back in Tommy's. I might not. I might clean up the duct tape, or I might not. At one time when Tommy owned it, it didn't have duct tape. Tommy was irreverent about his instrument's appearances. He used to put cigarettes out on the face of his Telecaster. Plus he wrote on his Tele with permanent marker, allowed it to get all beat up, and even threw it in the air for effect at one recording session. So if I adopt an irreverent attitude about what I do with the guitar, it will be in keeping with Tommy's philosophy. Here is a picture of the ES-175 with its custom truss rod cover and Vanco string dampener, but before the duct tape. Actually, what I like best about the guitar is the rare Vanco string dampener. In a way I guess I paid $5000 for a string dampener. Also, the luggage tag on the case that Tommy Tedesco autographed is pretty cool.

Tommy Tedesco's 1956 Gibson ES-175-r-7615967-1445728548-2135-jpeg-jpg
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 11-17-2018 at 10:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Whatever Easy2grasp decides to do with the TT guitar is totally cool with me! It's his guitar and he should leave it as it is or modify it as he see fits. For me (and this is just me...), I think the white debris is a distraction and I suspect the tape might have come off sometime after Tommy had the guitar. Anyway, either way, if it were mine, I think I might consider either cleaning off the white debris from the side with the missing tape and leaving the other side with the black tape, or putting another piece of black tape over the white debris side so both f-holes are covered again.