The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

In the big scheme of hollowbody archtops, most would consider modern ES 175's (past early 60's) in the dark category I believe. And when they say that, I think they are speaking from their own experiences not just having listened to Jim Hall (in his ES 175 era).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On that note I also played a Sadowsky Jim Hall which I thought was brighter than my ES 175.

User Info Menu

I am an impressionist too. I own Ibz AKJ-95, and with factory flatwound strings it is a rock guitar.
    Can i recommend new Höfner Bluetone Superluxe E2/ little earlier called J-17 and D`Angelico Excel? I got each for about 700USD during 14 month`s time from now and back.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hollow body guitar under alt=,000-img_1472h1080b-jpg Hollow body guitar under alt=,000-img_1271h1080-jpg 
    Last edited by savofenno; 11-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.

So many options, so little time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Hi,

I own a Tele and a Gibson es135 with p90s. I am considering an archtop. I play gypsy jazz and Charlie Christian/blues. I love the classic jazz guitar tone, but I'm not into mellow. I would appreciate any recommendations for a used guitar. Not interested in buying new. I know, try before you buy, but that's not easy in my area. Thanks for any assistance.
    Get the Godin

User Info Menu

This:
    Hollow body guitar under alt=,000-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Yeah I don’t think he wants humbuckers really. A p90 would be a better shout for the styles described.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah I don’t think he wants humbuckers really. A p90 would be a better shout for the styles described.
    Yes, that's true. And since I have an es135 with p90s, I guess I don't really "need" anything else unless I happen to come across something irresistible.

User Info Menu

Such as a 125

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Such as a 125
    Agreed. But is that different enough from a 135?

User Info Menu

Very different Phil. ES-125 is fully hollow. Some thin, some deeper, some with cutaways, earlier ones without. One or two P-90s. Vs the 135, which is semi-hollow, a heavier build, two pickups.

User Info Menu

Yes in the sense that it would be the perfect choice for a 40s swing sound

I think I now have the rationale to "justify" a 125 if I can find one at an acceptable price. $1,500?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    I think I now have the rationale to "justify" a 125 if I can find one at an acceptable price. $1,500?
    If you can find a good one I don't think you'd regret it. Not sure if they go for that these days, but have a look around.

User Info Menu

A suggestion Phil, on the Es-125. Cast the net a little wider, and consider the Guild equivalents. Here's one, at a really nice price too:

1961 Vintage Guild T50 Slim Archtop Sunburst Franz P90 | Reverb

Guild's answer to the non-cutaway ES-125t. The Franz p/u looks P-90. It is, more or less, but with some interesting tonal differences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    A suggestion Phil, on the Es-125. Cast the net a little wider, and consider the Guild equivalents. Here's one, at a really nice price too:

1961 Vintage Guild T50 Slim Archtop Sunburst Franz P90 | Reverb

Guild's answer to the non-cutaway ES-125t. The Franz p/u looks P-90. It is, more or less, but with some interesting tonal differences.
    Major mojo from a Guild built at the Hoboken factory. I had a Westerly-built X-700 that was phenomenal; also, an X-500 built at the Corona factory (when Fender was the owner)—it was so-so. I’ve always been fascinated by the Guilds and the story behind them. Would love to have one from the Hoboken era. I highly recommend that T-50.

User Info Menu

Back in the 1950’s as Guild was spinning off from Epiphone they copied a few of the Gibson models, and in my opinion they got it right every time. Guilds version of the ES-175 is the CE-100. I once had a 1956 version that I preferred over all 175’s I ever played, including an early 1960’s that was owned by my former instructor. The Guild X-50 is their version of the ES-125, and while I have never played one I have also never been disappointed by any 1950’s - early 1960’s Guild. They are fairly easy to find, and in fact there is one currently at a local music store. You will see them listed for over 2k, but their market value is actually much lower and is at or below $1500.

I believe this to be the actual guitar for sale locally not far from Boston, and I seem to recall seeing a price that was under $1500 on the tag. I can’t vouch for the condition, but can always go back next Saturday and check it out in detail if interested. You can also contact the shop, which I’m sure will give you an in-hand description.

The pickup is Guilds version of a P-90, but with a lower output.

I know there are some out here with this Guild model, so perhaps others will chime in.

The T-50 mentioned by El Fundo is the thinline version of the X-50.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 11-11-2018 at 07:47 PM.

User Info Menu

And here is a good jazz demo of the CE-100 (ES-175) from 1964, which has a mini bucker (in between their single coil and full humbucker in terms of tone). Again, they are often listed for over 2k, but can be had in good condition for around $1500 if you are patient.

User Info Menu

That Guild X50 in the video above - so well played by our own Anton, Hep to the jive - is now at my house. It's a slightly shallower version of the full depth 50's Gibson ES-125. Which is what I was looking for until I saw this youtube video. Similar in many ways, but tonally has its own identity. You can really hear it too. The less fat, more defined version of P90 sound, with a clarity you can hear even unplugged, courtesy of the mahogany laminate body.

My teacher has a Franz p/u equipped Guild CE-100, the one p/u version which first came out in the 50s. I haven't played it yet.

Whether these Guilds suit your tastes as well as the Gibson equiivalent - no way to know til you try. I'm quite impressed by the X50. Light, but so sturdy and well built.

User Info Menu

For what you’re looking for, I think that the key thing is that you get a single-coil equipped guitar. Get a P90 or CC-equipped 125-ish thing, or a good 125 if you find one. The Godin suggestion was in this sense, then there are Loars etc…

If you are into early jazz tones, and are looking for a complement to your electrics, you could also consider an acoustic archtop with an old-stlye floating pickup. You might take it so far as to get a Selmac with a Stimer pickup. Or an acoustic archtop with a DeArmond, reissue or vintage. I have a Loar LH-700 I bought used, and a DeA FHC from 1953. The whole rig cost me about 800€ and it is killer for any style of jazz from the 20s to the 50s (alas, it’s the player that’s lacking not the guitar).

If you dislike those big “V” necks and like more ordinary “C” necks, you may try a used Guild Savoy A150. Nowhere near the Loar in terms of acoustic sound, but it does have some acoustic sound, it looks very attractive, and the reissue DeA Rhythm Chief is tonally in the ballpark of my old Rhythm Chief. Another ready-made option – but again with a big V-neck: the Gretsch New Yorker. Never had one in hand tho and reports are conflicting.

Enjoy your quest!

User Info Menu

Never played one of them Loar 309's (like Oz I have a LH600) - Jeff thinks they're shite though?

There's the Eastman AR405E - anyone tried one?

User Info Menu

I just purchased an Eastman t486, Love it, as you had said extremely versatile.