The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I now have a customized monoprice.com "Stage Right" 5 watt tube amp with a 8" speaker.
    It's basically a Laney Club8, like a Fender Champ 5F1 amp circuit. It cost $104.23 delivered to my door. I replaced the stock Celestion 8" speaker with a Weber alnico Signature 8" ribbed speaker for $55; the Weber is the same model in the current Fender Champ '57 Custom. I also replaced the Chinese tubes with Genalex Gold Lion tubes. The amp now has excellent clarity, warmth, and dynamics. It reacts to my picking accents much more dramatically than a typical solid state amp. For example, when I play my solid state Vox amp it makes my accents sound almost completely neutralized. Cosmetically, I removed the Celestion name tag from the grill cloth and replaced the white chicken head knobs with black ones.

I got a Chinese Champ clone-amp-mono-jpg
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Way to go! It's hard to beat the old 5f1 Champ for dynamics, tone, and sheer soul. It's one of my half-dozen favorite amps of all time.

Hmm? That must be why I own three of them...down from five in recent years. (You can carry even a good thing too far, after all.)

User Info Menu

Congrats can't beat that price for sure.

The touch sensitivity is really good now that I have upgraded this little 5 watt monoprice amp. It is tone heaven, really clear and warm. I am using a mini delay pedal in front of it.

This is my old rig just to let you know I am not a rookie:

I got a Chinese Champ clone-harry_lespaul-jpg

User Info Menu

the monoprice site doesn't say how much it weighs? Do you know?

13.5 lbs

User Info Menu

Few things are more fun than a 5 watt tube amp. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

I got a Chinese Champ clone-amp-inside-jpg

User Info Menu

The Blueridge flattops I have played over the past six or eight years have been pretty good guitars for the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Way to go! It's hard to beat the old 5f1 Champ for dynamics, tone, and sheer soul. It's one of my half-dozen favorite amps of all time.

Hmm? That must be why I own three of them...down from five in recent years. (You can carry even a good thing too far, after all.)
    Got any 5e3's? If so, how would you compare the two? I've wanted a 5E3 for a very long time...

I had a Champ 600 (the reissue one, that I modded for no tone stack like the 5F1), put a weber in it..... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to be a keeper, for me....

Next order is my Chibson LP Standard with P90s from China

User Info Menu

Well, I own three 5e3 amps, too. They are just tops. When I play at home or gig, I use either a 5e3 or a Polytone MiniBrute, depending on if I want a Kenny Burrell tone (5e3) or a 70s Jim Hall/Herb Ellis tone (Polytone).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Well, I own three 5e3 amps, too. They are just tops. When I play at home or gig, I use either a 5e3 or a Polytone MiniBrute, depending on if I want a Kenny Burrell tone (5e3) .

SOLD!!!

Are your 5E3's vintage? I ask because the vintage ones have a 12AY7 in the preamp, whereas the reissues and most clones seem to have a 12AX7.

User Info Menu

These are 5e3 amps I built. One is in a tweed cabinet and is my grab and go amp. One is a head/cabinet amp. One looks like fine furniture and stays home. All three have 12ay7 NOS v1 tubes. I have a pretty good stash of them...been collecting tubes for 40 years.

User Info Menu

I always wanted to build a simple amp... at first it was the 5F2A (tweed Princeton), but I think I would like to build a 5E3.

User Info Menu

My first amp build was a 5e3. I built 5f2 and 5f1 amps aplenty after that. The 5f1 is simple, but building it in the "Champ" chassis calls for nimble fingers, let me tell you...tight quarters.

The 5e3 is a great way to start out--if you are deeply respectful of the fact that the energy levels involved in working with tube electronics can kill you, if you don't really understand what you are doing.

User Info Menu

I just ordered a kit to build a 5f1 clone two days ago, and I can pick it up today from the post office.
    It'll be my first valve amp build, I'm looking very much forward to it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Next order is my Chibson LP Standard with P90s from China
    Neat post.

There was an article I read somewhere where a reviewer got a Chibson and did a side-by-side with a real Gibson, and pointed out that with a little fettling the Chibson was not a bad guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    I just ordered a kit to build a 5f1 clone two days ago, and I can pick it up today from the post office.
    It'll be my first valve amp build, I'm looking very much forward to it
    Do you have a link for that kit? Thanks!