The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 75

User Info Menu

Hi,
    My name is Rok Drobun.
    For many years I have played guitar. I have tried approximately twenty guitars of different makes but none of them had what I was seeking. Neck heavy guitars, unstable necks, buzzing frets, these problems led to my desire to build my perfect guitar. I wanted to make a slim accurate neck that would not warp. Alongside my music I had been working with carbon fibre, fabricating complex products in this material. Initially my plan was to make a neck of carbon fibre and ask a luthier to form a body but the why stop with the neck? Hence the formation of ‘Fibertone guitars’. The top and back are shaped to simulate the properties of a conventional guitar and have the distinctive arch-top sound and great volume when played acoustically. Because carbon fibre is a man made material I am able to reproduce this quality of sound with great consistency, and because it has uniform structure guitars do not have dead spots and are therefore excellent studio instruments. Whilst this construction means the instruments are totally reliable and unaffected by climate and humidity they are not clones. The guitars are made to meet customers desires and needs and can be widely customized from hardware to finish. It is also possible to make alterations to the acoustic properties of the instrument as required. Each guitar is hand-built, every guitar is unique. I am offering to build you a life long partner!

opinions of some of my customers:

I went to Rok a bit sceptical. I read on the internet how carbon fiber can never replace wood in instruments. And it's TRUE. But that was never Rok's intention. When I came to Rok the whole air was saturated with music. I was shocked at how much sound frequencies are lost in wooden guitars. With every note that you play, the guitar uncovers a new layer of sound giving you new inspiration. Combine that with Rok's fountain of ideas, attention for detail and carbon fiber strength and you get a work horse hidden in the grace of a dressage stallion.

I asked Rok for an impossible guitar. I had talked to 3 builders before him and they told me to find someone else, they just couldn't build the guitar I wanted. I wanted a thin-bodied arch top with an even and open tone that would project well.
    There are physics involved that make this a near impossible task. There are traditions in arch top building that make what I wanted a difficult request. None of that stopped Rok.
    He built me a loud, clear, articulate box that I can play the kind of music I like on. I'm not a jazz player, and though I do play blues I've always preferred early acoustic and jump blues. The guitar Rok built me can do it all.
    Rok listened to me when I shared the tone I was after and he translated that into magic build techniques.
    Hearing is believing.

Fibertone Guitars look and sound beautiful! Rok really puts his heart and soul into his work. This is really obvious when you get your hands on one of Fibertone guitars.

my website : Fibertone Guitars
    Fibertone guitars (@fibertone_guitars) • Instagram photos and videos

Attached Images Attached Images Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-back8791_jh-jpg Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-back-under-jpg Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-front-detail-jpg Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-frontside8775-jpg Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-upright-side-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rok, i would need to hear your guitars to be able to form an opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Rok, i would need to hear your guitars to be able to form an opinion.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club. It’s funny, but a carbon fiber neck was one thing I DIDN’T like about other carbon fiber guitars. That is why my guitars have a traditional three or five piece carved wood neck and carbon fiber bodies. Nonetheless, good luck with your new venture. I believe as more and more builders use carbon fiber players will come to appreciate its beautiful tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

necks on my guitars are custom made. Every neck is shaped to dimensions and profile customer orders, and so far, everybody was please with the feel of the neck. To me, it is very important that neck is also made from carbon fiber because the neck doesn't bend, it doesn't need truss rod, neck and body joint is not a problem, head can't break... A lot of people asked me for carbon fiber fretboard also, so I developed a mould to make CF fretboards also : https://www.instagram.com/p/BobAxZ_FXrM/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

User Info Menu

Sorry Rok. The sound is not convincing my ears. But it might help a little bit to have someone demoing it who cares about tuning and playing a bit more fluent.
    Best of luck to you!

User Info Menu

Rok, I'm very much a fan of graphite guitars I'm very interested in what you're doing but my virus protection flagged your web site as a threat. Even if the virus software is wrong, you probably have to do something about that. Where are you located? There are some very talented players on this forum from all over the world, perhaps one of them could do a first hand report on your guitars.

A couple thoughts about graphite guitars ...

First, there are a bunch of obvious durability and stability benefits. Graphite guitars are more rugged and less susceptible to climate and humidity changes. The necks are very stiff (we used graphite rods in all of our necks for added stiffness). Graphite travels wells and handles changes of season much better than wood.

Tonally, it is a mixed blessing depending on your expectations. As noted, graphite presents all frequencies. In theory that is a big plus but our ears don't live in theory. All woods filter various frequencies and that filtering is what our ears are used to. The result is that graphite can sound a bit alien to a lot of people. It's very clear and 3 dimensional but it exists in about a 2.5 dimensional world. I really like it but it definitely takes some getting used to. Most players will probably tweak out some of the added upper mids and highs to get it closer to what they know but a graphite guitar is probably always going to be a bit more present than a wood guitar. Like anything a bit different, some players will like it a lot, some not so much. As a builder I learned the hard way that added clarity is not always considered a blessing.

In terms of the designs that I saw on my tablet (the site was not flagged on that device), my preference would be something a little less traditional and a little less Gibson oriented. I'd love to something in about a 14" body with a 2" thickness. That's just a personal preference but since graphite travels so well, it might as well be matched with something a little smaller that suites that purpose a bit better. I also have no interest in binding on a graphite guitar. At least to me, the seamless look of of an unbound graphite body is one of the attractions. If you're going high tech it may as well look like it.

About the graphite fingerboard, I think I'd prefer one of the other existing synthetic fingerboard materials like micarta that have already been well proven in the guitar world. Fingerboards add a lot to the playing experience so why not go with something with a well regarded history that matches up well with the technology.

BTW, I'd like to know what the price range is. If it makes you more comfortable, you're welcome to send me info by private message.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 10-22-2018 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Jim, thank you for your long post.

I come from Slovenia, Europe.
    First carbon fiber guitar that I've played was mine. After playing carbon fiber guitars that were not made by me, I have to say I was disappointed with the sound and feeling of them in general.. That to say, I haven't played carbon fiber archtop! guitar before..
    My guitars feel like they are made of wood.

The guitars that I make are custom made, and through changing construction, reinforcements, position and shape of the bars, strength of laminate and other factors, I have learned a lot about how they effect the sound of the guitar.

I construct the body according to the needs a customer describes.
    People are sceptical, I would be also. But there are people that take a risk, and so far, I haven't had a unsatisfied customer.
    Most of the guitars are in Europe, there are some in USA also, and customers agreed they would show it, should somebody be interested in trying it - in Houston, Atlanta, and I'm currently working on a guitar whose future owner is from New Jersey.
    For those interested, contact me, and I can arrange a meeting.

Price depends on the needs and wishes of the customer.
    I offer 7 shapes, the cheapest comes at about 2400€.
    I don't think that is a lot for a custom made guitar.

User Info Menu

Rok, welcome to the forum. I've been a fan of graphite and carbon fiber guitars ever since playing a Rainsong at their Maui factory many years ago. Your custom options that set you apart from other similar builders.

Do you offer pickguards?

User Info Menu

Thank you
    I can make a pickguard also, of course.

These guitars have the potential to last generations, and I don't see a point in mass producing them...

User Info Menu

I bought a Compsite Acoustics guitar last year to use when traveling. It's all the things that were advertised, many described above. Primarily, stability to temperature, humidity, and routine conditions of traveling with a musical instrument that if it were made of wood I would elect not to carry it along. The neck and fretboard on mine are composite as well, and are spot on. Maybe humans can sequester some carbon out of the atmosphere, make some guitars, play some music, help the environment, sustain some life on the planet. The new Gibson company could market a composite Wesmo!
    Are the nanoparticles an issue?

Cheers

User Info Menu

I also made a CF archtop with a removable neck, to fit into an overhead compartment of an airplane.
    The neck is held in place with just 1 screw. I didn't change the shape, most people have a problem with a guitar being made from different material, so shape would be another factor that would make my guitars too radical..

Skykomishone what do you mean if nano particles are an issue?

User Info Menu

When I play new nickle or bronze strings, some of the metal coating rubs off on my fingers. When I play a carbon fiber guitar, expecially when it's new, I get a little black residue on my hands. No big thing. It's no longer a problem. I'm sure it's perfectly harmless. When I shaved the bridge to lower the action, I had to sand it on a flat sheet of silicon-graphite sandpaper, and it created an extremely fine dust, that I'm sure would stain the hell out of things. But again, no problem. I always wonder about things that don't occur naturally in nature, and what effects they might have, but on doing some reading, and playing, the guitar doesn't seem to cause any concerns. In fact, I quite like it a lot! Keep making them. I'm sure they'll catch on.

User Info Menu

skykomishone, sanding any part of my guitar wouldn't leave any paint anywhere. Finish is similar to most of the guitars on the market. They are covered in lacquer, and sanding it would produce dust, such as on wooden guitar. When you would sand through lacquer you would start sanding fibers, which are black, but they don't leave stains...

Guitars are catching on. People are mostly afraid of ordering an expensive guitar over internet. Completely understandable, I wouldn't order my guitar if I had to order it over internet. It's people that tried it, that order it. It is really hard to record the sound, and you can never get the feel of the guitar till you try it.
    Custom made guitars are a piece of art, and every artist has his own signature. They reflect qualities of the maker. That's my $0.02.

User Info Menu

I was at the CAMX (Composites and Advanced Materials Expo) in Dallas last week. It's basically the NAMM show of the composites industry. Every year a few more composite guitars show up and they keep getting better. Most are carbon fiber but there have been a few one-offs made of fiberglass, hemp or recycled materials. I've only seen acoustic flat-tops, most of which sound really good. You might be on to something with an archtop. I'd sure like to try one.

User Info Menu

I applaud your efforts. Carbon fiber is a fascinating material and in terms of stiffness to weight ratio they make perfect sense for a guitar top. I’ve made one archtop and was somewhat appalled at how much wood got “hogged off” and wasted in the carving rough carving. I always worry about the sustainability of woods. I’ve been experimenting a lot with using plywood and local, common hardwoods. But you can’t beat carbon fiber for durability and stability. I thought the tone of your sound clip sounded good.

Guitar players are extremely conservative and extremely fussy though. I look at your website and right away I want different stuff: 25.5 scale, p90s, what’s the neck width ii like fat necks blah blah blah. You’ll probably have to get them into the hands of players before many people are willing to plunk down money for a non-traditional guitar..

You might try making a guitar and mailing it around here as a loaner. People have done his with other things, like effects pedals. Devise a shipping box and a sign up list, and then ship it to the first place, who plays it and ships it to the next player, etc etc.

User Info Menu

Hi guys, I'll be in New York from 12th till 27th of January, and for those interested - I will have 2 guitars with me, available for test.

Please contact me if you want to meet.

User Info Menu

I absolutely LOVE my Emerald X-20 Artisan acoustic, it rings like a piano and is super easy to play. That said, I went to the factory in Ireland and played a few and then got mine ordered so I knew what I was getting and getting into. So, for an acoustic the carbon fiber might not be for everyone but I love it. I'd need to play a carbon fiber electric before buying one though.

User Info Menu

Jim, I spent lots of time watching Emerald and Rainsong videos over the holiday break.

After much consideration, I decided to first audition some Rainsongs at a local dealer, rather than taking a chance at ordering online from Emerald. I ending up buying the CH-WS1000NS acoustic, after having never been interested in carbon fiber guitars before.

I'm now totally sold on the material. It is not just impervious to climate - it sounds great! Actually, there's a bit of archtop character in there with the strong fundamental tone.

I really like the looks of the OP's ES-175 clone made from carbon fiber. Sure would be nice to hear it played with typical jazz equipment by a decent player.

User Info Menu

Having witnessed just how destructive this climate is to conventional guitars, I've made the decision to transition to carbon/graphite fiber. I've ordered two guitars from Emerald in Ireland. I'll be getting an X10 in a few weeks and an X7 for travel (and standard tuning) in about three months.

The x10 has a 14.5" body and a 25.5" scale length. It will be tuned permanently to Db/C# standard. The X7 has a 14.25" body and 24" scale length. It's billed as a "parlour guitar" but with a very clever design resulting a 34.25" total length and a backpacker gig bag, it's really more of a travel guitar. The X7 is a 12 fret to the body construction but with a really interesting heelless design, it should be easy to play well above the ovtave. Both will be equipped with a Krivo thinline humbucker and strung with light flat wound strings.

My hope is that with the Krivo pickup, the flat wound strings, and the right setup, I can get something close to the sound I got from conventional archtops over the last few years. And one thing that is certain is that they will be much less troubled by the climate here.

My X7 will be blue and my X10 will be red but these will give you the general idea.

Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-emeraldx7-jpg
    Carbon Fiber Archtop Guitars-emeraldx10-jpg

The X10 in red is going to be a beautiful thing, I think.

Had you said in the other thread that they were going to do a vol / tone setup?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by child as audience
    The X10 in red is going to be a beautiful thing, I think.

Had you said in the other thread that they were going to do a vol / tone setup?
    Yes. They are adding a tone control for the humbucker to the L2 electronics for my X7. At this point it looks like the X10 will be a humbucker only with volume and tone.

User Info Menu

Jim, what does the climate do to your guitars? It seems to have little effect on mine other than seasonal changes which are minimal if any. Please do not take this wrong but those guitars in my eyes are the absolute ugliest of the ugly. I know it is all about sound but at some point I have to look at the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jim, what does the climate do to your guitars? It seems to have little effect on mine other than seasonal changes which are minimal if any. Please do not take this wrong but those guitars in my eyes are the absolute ugliest of the ugly. I know it is all about sound but at some point I have to look at the guitar.
    Guadalajara is high dessert. For eight months a year it's incredibly dry. For four months a year it's monsoon rains. During the dry months temperatures drop about 40 or 45 degrees from the high to the low almost every day. Right now it's low 90's every day, low to mid 50's at night and we haven't seen a cloud in about a month. There are no heating systems and we have no air conditioning so the idea of controlling the temperature or humidity in the apartment is out of the question. Climate control consists of windows open/windows closed. The result is that fingerboards shrink, necks twist. I even bought an archtop from a local builder and once it was out of his shop for a few days, not only did the neck move but the top basically disintegrated, cracking in seven different places. (He gave me a full refund)

As for the look of these guitars, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I'm always impressed by clever and I think these designs are incredibly clever and, perhaps because of that, to my eye, they are equally beautiful.

User Info Menu

Have you considered a '70's Telecaster with the famous Fender "Thickskin Finish?
    Doubles as a canoe paddle.