Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

It’s a very dreary day here in New Jersey. Cloudy, drizzle and no breeze. The summer is gone and Autumn is getting tired. Nothing going outside my house. Not even a sound.
    I haven’t had a chance to play at all since Monday. So I had some catching up to do and I played a lot today. My HJS18 for 2 hours this morning and I just finished up another 2 hours on the Tal. Polishing up on all my arrangements. Having trouble remembering “This Guys In Love With You”. So I’m really working on it. So I get it and I’m playing it in a very spirited manner. All of a sudden a bird lands on my window sill and she starts singing along with my playing. Like really singing. When I stop, she stops. I start, she starts singing along.

i had a great day practicing. And jamming along with my new band mate. I named her Burty. After Burt Bacharach.
    Thank you God for giving me the privilege of being able to play the guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have never had the reaction but it is raining here off and on. I ran early this morning 6 miles and did a few errands. I need to sit down and play the guitar but I am lazy. The bird must have figured out that the sounds you produce very few humans are doing that......Even most guitarist.

Practicing 4 hours that is tremendous. Lately I have been practicing really only two things. Playing solo chord melodies and getting as many tunes down complete with no chart cheating. The other is I have been listening to Al De Meola, and Paco doing all the fast stuff. I did that years ago and at some point gave it up but for some reason I am back drawn to it. It does get your chops in order as such.

I wonder what the bird would think if it heard all those De Meola and Mcglothlin notes?
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

Max,
    I have a similar experience with my squirrel buddies that I feed regularly. My guitar room looks over the backyard and when I have my window open the squirrels come sit near my window and look in. Ok - so they don’t sing - but they enjoy hearing the music. These squirrels are well taken care of - gourmet nut blend, corn , acorns in the fall and coconut in the winter to keep them healthy.

Dreary day here as well- spent two hours playing today.

User Info Menu

"Having trouble remembering “This Guys In Love With You”. "

we played it on our gig last night. we do kind of an uptempo version, not slow like Herb Albert.

User Info Menu

Whenever the season allows me to i do a lot of practicing in my garden. We are surrounded by nature and many birds find their way into it, every year we have some nests in some of the trees. I frequently notice that some of the birds react to my playing. Sometimes I try to copy their "lines" and I have noticed that some of them try to "copy" mine too. Today it was nice & sunny, but I was recording with a singer so no way to keep windows open or to play outside.
    _________
    JazzNote

User Info Menu

It's sunny in Seattle!

Thanks for the story, and thank goodness for Burt Bacharach!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    It’s a very dreary day here in New Jersey. Cloudy, drizzle and no breeze. The summer is gone and Autumn is getting tired. Nothing going outside my house. Not even a sound.
    It is a dreary day here in the Garden State, isn't it? It's not even cool and crisp. You mentioned Autumn is getting tired, do you not like Autumn, Joe? Think of all the great songs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    It's sunny in Seattle!

Sunny ... in Seattle? As in, State of Washington ... that Seattle?

Wow ... hope not too many get blinded by the bigg ball in the sky!

(Says the guy living in Oregon's west-side Willamette Valley ....)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

[/QUOTE] All of a sudden a bird lands on my window sill and she starts singing along with my playing. Like really singing. When I stop, she stops. I start, she starts singing along.

i had a great day practicing. And jamming along with my new band mate. I named her Burty. After Burt Bacharach.
    Thank you God for giving me the privilege of being able to play the guitar.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what an experience!

We have a big beautiful white bunny in a big rolling cage in the house, normally right near where I practice. She always is clearly aware when I'm playing.

At times, rather warily aware. Ears turned toward her back and flat on her back to minimize sound it seems.

But occasionally ... when I'm doing quite well on a ballad type chord/melody song ... she'll move to the near end of the cage, stretching to full length, and lay down slowly closing her eyes.

I think she does have some sense of musical taste ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I have never had the reaction but it is raining here off and on. I ran early this morning 6 miles and did a few errands. I need to sit down and play the guitar but I am lazy. The bird must have figured out that the sounds you produce very few humans are doing that......Even most guitarist.

Practicing 4 hours that is tremendous. Lately I have been practicing really only two things. Playing solo chord melodies and getting as many tunes down complete with no chart cheating. The other is I have been listening to Al De Meola, and Paco doing all the fast stuff. I did that years ago and at some point gave it up but for some reason I am back drawn to it. It does get your chops in order as such.

I wonder what the bird would think if it heard all those De Meola and Mcglothlin notes?
    Deacon, you are the best man. Seriously.
    I love Al too. Here’s a little Al played by some hack. Hummingbird music..

6 miles? Nice bro. Keep that up.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Max,
    I have a similar experience with my squirrel buddies that I feed regularly. My guitar room looks over the backyard and when I have my window open the squirrels come sit near my window and look in. Ok - so they don’t sing - but they enjoy hearing the music. These squirrels are well taken care of - gourmet nut blend, corn , acorns in the fall and coconut in the winter to keep them healthy.
    Dreary day here as well- spent two hours playing today.
    So they can rip open your roof and live in your attack.
    Im Kidding. Animals are Gods creatures just like us. My son picked up this cat off the street. God damn thing tore up my living furniture. It’s been living with his girlfriend for a week. Next week it comes back. Can cats be rehabilitated?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    "Having trouble remembering “This Guys In Love With You”. "
    we played it on our gig last night. we do kind of an uptempo version, not slow like Herb Albert.
    what a great song. And it’s like the easiest song I know, but I always have trouble with it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Years ago my parents got a couple of young ducks for my sister as pets. Later when they grew up they would come to the sliding glass doors in the lower level whenever I played guitar and sang. Same thing, they'd move on when I stopped and come back when I started playing again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote View Post
    Whenever the season allows me to i do a lot of practicing in my garden. We are surrounded by nature and many birds find their way into it, every year we have some nests in some of the trees. I frequently notice that some of the birds react to my playing. Sometimes I try to copy their "lines" and I have noticed that some of them try to "copy" mine too. Today it was nice & sunny, but I was recording with a singer so no way to keep windows open or to play outside.
    Switzerland.. Wow It must be nice there. People never leave. I know ALOT of people here in America and not one of them is Swiss.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    It's sunny in Seattle!
    Sunny in Seattle? Isn’t that an oxymoron?
    im glad you are getting good weather 2b. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    It is a dreary day here in the Garden State, isn't it? It's not even cool and crisp. You mentioned Autumn is getting tired, do you not like Autumn, Joe? Think of all the great songs!
    I usually like Autumn. But here in NJ we haven’t been getting typical crisp Autumn weather. I hope we don’t have a bad winter again. Not looking forward to that.
    [/QUOTE]
    Wow, what an experience!
    We have a big beautiful white bunny in a big rolling cage in the house, normally right near where I practice. She always is clearly aware when I'm playing.
    At times, rather warily aware. Ears turned toward her back and flat on her back to minimize sound it seems.
    But occasionally ... when I'm doing quite well on a ballad type chord/melody song ... she'll move to the near end of the cage, stretching to full length, and lay down slowly closing her eyes.

I think she does have some sense of musical taste.[/QUOTE]
    thats cool rNeil. Just don’t play Bolero around a rabbit. Other rabbits might show up unannounced!

User Info Menu

Most of my videos have birds chirping away on them. They like to congregate in the bush outside my window. I like them, and feel sad when they don't turn up for a jam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Most of my videos have birds chirping away on them. They like to congregate in the bush outside my window. I like them, and feel sad when they don't turn up for a jam.
    i am sure the only reason you are getting “better dealed” by the birds is because the are all hanging out by Alfred Hitchcocks house trying to figure out how to get that beautiful Elferink out of your hands..

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat View Post
    Years ago my parents got a couple of young ducks for my sister as pets. Later when they grew up they would come to the sliding glass doors in the lower level whenever I played guitar and sang. Same thing, they'd move on when I stopped and come back when I started playing again.
    That is so cool.
    Ducks as pets. This still is a beautiful world.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Sunday afternoons at our old house in town were reserved for back porch playing for the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees, the occasional flutter-by, squirrels the size of beagles, and chipmunks teeming in their thousands. We had one black bird with peculiar white-edged feathers that worked our postage-stamp backyard for bugs and whatnot, to the dismay of the robins. I wrote an instrumental on the resonator for it; it remained non-commmital.

These days our country estate abounds with wildlife: songbirds of many stripes, hordes of hummingbirds, rabbits, wabbits, chipmunks, squirrels in gray, red, and black; wild turkeys everywhere all the time until turkey season, when they evaporate into thin air; raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes, weasels, coyotes (actually Adirondack Red Wolves, I'm told), owls, several types of hawks, including the majestic Red-Tailed Hawk, the occasional Bald Eagle (brought back from the brink of extinction), tons of turkey vultures to tidy up, black bears, and of course, the deadliest mammal of them all, the Whitetail Deer. I've concertized for most of them, and they don't seem to mind (although the Mama Bear, all 600 pounds or so of her, did kind of bring me up short).

I've copped a few licks from the birds, mostly rhythmic - their pitches tend to elude me (maybe A432?).

Life is good.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 10-06-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Caps
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

My playing attracts crows. I've been playing a lot of cecil taylor lately, so that may be what's up.

User Info Menu

Great posts everyone. Thanks for playing that Les Paul Joe. Same weather here on Long Island which was a perfect excuse for me to stay inside and play every guitar I own through both of my amps--a Twin Reverb and a Polytone Mini Brute. Totally enjoyable.

Growing up in Italian/American household with my parents and grandparents, I was exposed (mostly) to music, Italian cooking and Neopolitan folklore--in no particular order. My grandmother always said that when a bird lands close to you its a sign of good luck.

Buono Fortuna Giuseppe e tutto quando.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Thank you God for giving me the privilege of being able to play the guitar.
    The very same here. The music just poured out today. 3 hours with an old band in a studio. Then practiced 2 hours of jazz stuff just now. It overwhelms the negatives. Thank god for music!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Sunday afternoons at our old house in town were reserved for back porch playing for the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees, the occasional flutter-by, squirrels the size of beagles, and chipmunks teeming in their thousands. we had one black bird with peculiar white-edged feathers that worked our postage-stamp backyard for bugs and whatnot, to the dismay of the robins. I wrote an instrumental on the resonator for it; it remained non-commmital.

These days our country estate abounds with wildlife: songbirds of many stripes, hordes of hummingbirds, rabbits, wabbits, chipmunks, squirrels in gray, red, and black; wild turkeys everywhere all the time until turkey season, when they evaporate into thin air; raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes, weasels, coyotes (actually Adirondack Red Wolves, I'm told), owls, several types of hawks, including the majestic Red-Tailed Hawk, the occasional Bald Eagle (brought back from the brink of extinction), tons of turkey vultures to tidy up, black bears, and of course, the deadliest mammal of them all, the Whitetail Deer. I've concertized for most of them, and they don't seem to mind (although the Mama Bear, all 600 pounds or so of her, did kind of bring me up short).

I've copped a few licks from the birds, mostly rhythmic - their pitches tend to elude me (maybe A432?).

Life is good.
    Ok C74 you got me. Is there really such a thing as a wabbit or is that an Elmer Fudd reference? And why is the Whitetail Deer the deadliest mammal? is that from a vegetable gardens perspective?
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony View Post
    Great posts everyone. Thanks for playing that Les Paul Joe. Same weather here on Long Island which was a perfect excuse for me to stay inside and play every guitar I own through both of my amps--a Twin Reverb and a Polytone Mini Brute. Totally enjoyable.

Growing up in Italian/American household with my parents and grandparents, I was exposed (mostly) to music, Italian cooking and Neopolitan folklore--in no particular order. My grandmother always said that when a bird lands close to you its a sign of good luck.

Buono Fortuna Giuseppe e tutto quando.

Tony D.
    Lo stesso Lo TI amici mio.
    Jeeze, Have you ever tried typing in Italian on an iPad? Madonna e mio..

User Info Menu

It’s a New Jersey thing I guess.
    Keep it up Mad dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog View Post
    The very same here. The music just poured out today. 3 hours with an old band in a studio. Then practiced 2 hours of jazz stuff just now. It overwhelms the negatives. Thank god for music!

User Info Menu

Didn’t have any wildlife activity, but I’m also in Jersey where the sucky weather put the kibosh on my usual Saturday long run in the park. Instead I played my Strat for the vast majority of the day, maybe 6-7 hours. I’m starting to work on a set of funk and rock songs for a college reunion gig next year. I need a LOT of lead time!
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

User Info Menu

Lo stesso Lo TI amici mio.
    Jeeze, Have you ever tried typing in Italian on an iPad? Madonna e mio..
    Grazie.

Never had much success typing on iPhone or iPad in English! I use a small MacBook. My children and grandchildren are so adept at typing on the iPhone and iPad they can't understand why I take so long to answer their text messages. Simple: chunky fingers.

Caio Paisano

Antonio

User Info Menu

You remember when I first moved here I befriended a sick sparrow I named birdie... She'd come onto my porch every morning and I'd make sure she got extra bread and had water for her. Wasn't long she'd sit on my little side table and hang out. She even tried to move in with me. Had her about 6 months. Soon as it took cold she took a turn for the worse... But I know she's waiting for me...

Has this ever happened to you?-14045558_10153936093682239_8205164368995458932_n-jpg

User Info Menu

When animals hear my playing they tend to make sounds more like this:

Hardly heavenly.

User Info Menu

inner city kid

saw mouse nest in a tube amp (not mine!)

and cockroaches scatter from a distorted power chord...(been in some dives)

haha

these days it crow caws and foghorns

love birdsong tho!!!

as did many a great composer

cheers

ps- some nice di meola there, Joe D...and he did it with way more distortion..saw rtf at beacon theater many moons ago

User Info Menu

Ok C74 you got me. Is there really such a thing as a wabbit or is that an Elmer Fudd reference? And why is the Whitetail Deer the deadliest mammal? is that from a vegetable gardens perspective?
    JD
    I use the term to distinguish our yard bunnies from our homesteading neighbors' wabbits, so unlike their wild counterparts in their coloration that the raptors (red-tailed hawks, mostly) ignore them. On sunny days I can tell when the hawks are about; the bird feeders are suddenly abandoned, the trees grow silent, and nothing moves, except the wabbits, who just keep hopping around, devouring our clover. It's the darnedest thing. The neighbors also have horses and donkeys and goats and chickens (they like our birdseed, as well) and ducks that have it in for our doves and charge them like bulls when they land, but most of their critters are too big to be flown away with, while our wild pocket bunnies are exactly what nature evolved them to prey on.

As far as the deadly deer, I'm afraid they are no joke. The poor dumb things kill a lot of people, mostly by wrecking their cars. A lady was killed two miles from our place a couple years ago, and before I retired, I worked with a lady that was decapitated by a buck that went straight through his windshield. I myself have struck several over the years, despite being cautious and bearing them no ill-will (When I was a kid the Old Man brought a very young fawn home from the woods, and we raised it as a pet, feeding it milk from a quart-sized Canada Dry Ginger Ale bottle with a nipple attached to it. We succeeded with it for several months until deer season rolled around, when tethering him in my uncle's barn, far from keeping him safe, only resulted in his breaking his neck in the haymow. He was truly mourned - Dad made a wooden coffin, and we buried him in the woods behind the house with full honors with his bottle beside him). Driving in this part of Pa., especially at night and really especially during the rut, is always risky.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

whitetail deer carry lyme disease ticks..thats plenty deadly

cheers

User Info Menu

nope, but the people across the street used to have peacocks and the sounds they make are worse than dying. they were so loud that they drowned out the roosters that lived there and sang backup. the temptations they were not. it was so bad. the pecocks would start about midnight and the roosters would join in about four. and continue all through the day. people on the phone would constantly ask what that sound was. it travels. hope they all got eaten.

and i have no trouble at all with other languages on my phone. but i'm on android. i just have to download the language pack that i need and then swipe on the space bar to cycle through my languages. handy for talking to family. italian works just fine.

User Info Menu

We used to have a Cockatiel who loved to sing along when I played.
    But she went absolutely nuts when my friend came over with his Tenor sax!
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    these days it crow caws and foghorns
    love birdsong tho!!!
    as did many a great composer
    some nice di meola there, Joe D...and he did it with way more distortion..saw rtf at beacon theater many moons ago
    yeah you are right. One of the great instruments used in Groovin, by the Rascals were birds. They should have used the same in, It’s a Beautiful Morning too..
    thanks Neatomic on the Al D. I saw him with Jan Hammer at the Palladium. Great player.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    I use the term to distinguish our yard bunnies from our homesteading neighbors' wabbits, so unlike their wild counterparts in their coloration that the raptors (red-tailed hawks, mostly) ignore them. On sunny days I can tell when the hawks are about; the bird feeders are suddenly abandoned, the trees grow silent, and nothing moves, except the wabbits, who just keep hopping around, devouring our clover. It's the darnedest thing. The neighbors also have horses and donkeys and goats and chickens (they like our birdseed, as well) and ducks that have it in for our doves and charge them like bulls when they land, but most of their critters are too big to be flown away with, while our wild pocket bunnies are exactly what nature evolved them to prey on.

As far as the deadly deer, I'm afraid they are no joke. The poor dumb things kill a lot of people, mostly by wrecking their cars. A lady was killed two miles from our place a couple years ago, and before I retired, I worked with a lady that was decapitated by a buck that went straight through his windshield. I myself have struck several over the years, despite being cautious and bearing them no ill-will (When I was a kid the Old Man brought a very young fawn home from the woods, and we raised it as a pet, feeding it milk from a quart-sized Canada Dry Ginger Ale bottle with a nipple attached to it. We succeeded with it for several months until deer season rolled around, when tethering him in my uncle's barn, far from keeping him safe, only resulted in his breaking his neck in the haymow. He was truly mourned - Dad made a wooden coffin, and we buried him in the woods behind the house with full honors with his bottle beside him). Driving in this part of Pa., especially at night and really especially during the rut, is always risky.
    Got it C. I thought you might had a special breed of packs of some smart, murdering deer dressed in pin striped suits that are in hiding up there in the north woods of Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by feet View Post
    nope, but the people across the street used to have peacocks and the sounds they make are worse than dying. they were so loud that they drowned out the roosters that lived there and sang backup. the temptations they were not. it was so bad. the pecocks would start about midnight and the roosters would join in about four. and continue all through the day. people on the phone would constantly ask what that sound was. it travels. hope they all got eaten.

and i have no trouble at all with other languages on my phone. but i'm on android. i just have to download the language pack that i need and then swipe on the space bar to cycle through my languages. handy for talking to family. italian works just fine.
    i remember my 1st encounter with a peacock. I was walking around the village of Smithville one time and I almost stepped one, not expecting it to be there. The friggin thing spread it’s feathers apart and screamed at me. I almost went to the bafroom on myself..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol View Post
    We used to have a Cockatiel who loved to sing along when I played.
    But she went absolutely nuts when my friend came over with his Tenor sax!
    Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    You remember when I first moved here I befriended a sick sparrow I named birdie... She'd come onto my porch every morning and I'd make sure she got extra bread and had water for her. Wasn't long she'd sit on my little side table and hang out. She even tried to move in with me. Had her about 6 months. Soon as it took cold she took a turn for the worse... But I know she's waiting for me...
    you should have wrote a song about that Mikey. Like Wildfire..
    you were the 1st person I thought of when had my encounter.

mikey, I think citizenk74 lives up there near Cherry Valley. The darkest sky I’ve ever witnessed. I saw Andromeda naked eye. With my 18” Starmaster at 50x, I saw a dust lane. I saw the dust lane in the Sombrero Galaxy too.
    Almost too many Stars. You look up and you can’t figure out what the heck you are looking at! I guess kinda like what told me about down in Chile. But in the Southern Sky, I wouldn’t know anything in that Sky anyway. Maybe the large and small Magellanic Clouds perhaps..
    hey what the heck does any of this have to do with Guitars Amps and Gizmo’s? Sorry guys.

User Info Menu

I have had birds come up and chime in more than a few times. Ironically right now there is a rat that lives about five feet away from a few of our windows in a bush in the neighbor's yard. It squeaks sometimes when I play. One audience member that I am not appreciative of. I am actually trying to kill out. Stolen the bait a couple times now.

User Info Menu

A few years ago while playing on the back porch a desert mockingbird bird began to sing along especially as I practiced triplet runs. At first he copied then he took to incorporating my attempts into his. He was showing off, mocking me.

User Info Menu

All of a sudden a bird lands on my window sill and she starts singing along with my playing. Like really singing. When I stop, she stops. I start, she starts singing along.
    Regrettably, I have never experienced that. On the contrary. We once had guests who brought their dog with them. As soon as I began to play, the dog began to howl in utter agony. Has this ever happened to you?

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    "But if they all play like me, then who am I?" (Lester Young)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane View Post
    Regrettably, I have never experienced that. On the contrary. We once had guests who brought their dog with them. As soon as I began to play, the dog began to howl in utter agony.
    pink floyd @ pompeii

cheers

User Info Menu

There is a U-Tube vid where a cockatiel sits on the end of flute while its being played (by a human) and sings the melody the the flautist plays. Some classical melody!

But as we sat in Central Park one evening, playing Beatle songs at Strawberry Fields (away from the maddening crowd by the "Imagine" medallion) I played a solo acoustic version of "Blackbird" with my own vocal accompaniment. At the finish, a very musical bird , up in tree above, provided the soundtrack (cover) of the Beatles' own "blackbird" that you hear on the "White Album". Perfect.

User Info Menu

Yes, Max405, I promised meself I would stop smoking that shit when the bird said that I was playing behind the beat and all the wrong notes. Damn critic!

User Info Menu

Max405, you got blessed by Eric Dolphy's muse - now it's your turn to make the best of it! A chance for musical development; some here may also think about a retrogression - unjustifiably.

"At home I used to play, and the birds always used to whistle with me. I would stop what I was working on and play with the birds."
    (Eric Dolphy to Down Beat magazine in 1960)

According to Dolphy birds sing in "quarter tones", and this imitation of birds was embraced by none other than John Coltrane.

Another possibility is that you've become an apologet of Saint Francis of Assissi, who according to legend called all creatures his "brothers" and "sisters", even preached to the birds.

Then, there are unemotional scientists spreading attempts at an explanation like this: Drunk Birds? How a Small Minnesota City Stumbled Into the Spotlight - The New York Times

User Info Menu

If those birds were keeping up with you, they must have monster chops!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    If those birds were keeping up with you, they must have monster chops!
    lol they use economy chirping and slurs
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

If you are into birds this is a good flic IMHO:

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (2005) - Rotten Tomatoes