The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 274

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    So great to hear raves about Tavo's stuff! The only reason I haven't bought a Barnyard yet is I need another hollowbody for it... I don't have much interest using it with my Grestch (Filtertrons), I really want a P90/CC hollowbody to use it with... so when I buy a Loar 309 or Godin Kingpin or whatever, I'll get a Barnyard too.

Because that Charlie Christian "double stop dirt" thing is what I'm going for too!
    With my Godin Kingpin, Epi 295 or Gretsch Setzer hot rod, this thing sounds great into my V47 185 amp... With the Junior Barnyard and Mystery Brain, i get amazing tones.

Pick one up and enjoy it with Filtertrons because they sound great together. Then when you get a new hollow body, you'll already have the JR Barnyard.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    This discussion inspired me to bring my Quilter/Barnyard rig to last night's gig. I was working as a sideman, and in this particular band, I often feel like my original 185 and my Vintage '47 are both a bit underpowered.

Well, it worked like a friggin' charm.
    Attachment 56560

Because I had so much headroom, I was able to keep my guitar volume low, which sounded great.
    Now, it's not exactly the same exact feel as an Octal Tube amp, but it's such a huge improvement over later style amps that just sound "wrong" for the tone I need. And the substantial increase in headroom/volume more than madeup for the difference. It made me play BETTER because I could relax and hear myself, instead of playing physically harder.

I'm definitely a big fan of the Jr. Barynard. I've started packing it as a backup on our traveling gigs even when I know I'll be provided a good backline amp, just in case. And we've got a couple gigs coming up where I have no idea what I'll end up with, so I'll have some more opportunities to test it out coming up.
    Did you played swing rhythm in this gig too? Did you turn off the pedal or just decreasing guitar volume it's stop to crunch?
    Well I did the question to Jonathan but anyone with the pedal can answer, of course.
    Last edited by clebergf; 10-13-2018 at 08:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Did you played swing rhythm in this gig too? Did you turn off the pedal or just decreasing guitar volume it's stop to crunch?
    Well I did the question to Jonathan by anyone with the pedal can answer, of course.
    I don't use the pedal, but from my experience, playing the octal tube amp, when I play rhythm I strum very lightly rather than turning down volume. If the pedal does emulate the sound right, it might work the same way. It's a very dynamic type of amp. There is only one condition- it works much better with a single coil pickup. With humbuckers the dynamics almost disappear, and the crunch doesn't clean up with lighter touch.

I hope that makes sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    This discussion inspired me to bring my Quilter/Barnyard rig to last night's gig. I was working as a sideman, and in this particular band, I often feel like my original 185 and my Vintage '47 are both a bit underpowered.

Well, it worked like a friggin' charm.
    Attachment 56560

Because I had so much headroom, I was able to keep my guitar volume low, which sounded great.
    Now, it's not exactly the same exact feel as an Octal Tube amp, but it's such a huge improvement over later style amps that just sound "wrong" for the tone I need. And the substantial increase in headroom/volume more than madeup for the difference. It made me play BETTER because I could relax and hear myself, instead of playing physically harder.

I'm definitely a big fan of the Jr. Barynard. I've started packing it as a backup on our traveling gigs even when I know I'll be provided a good backline amp, just in case. And we've got a couple gigs coming up where I have no idea what I'll end up with, so I'll have some more opportunities to test it out coming up.
    I would love to hear some clips of this rig. I've been meaning to piece together a similar rig but using the Quilter Overdrive 200 head just because it's got a direct out. My trio plays a bunch of banquet/fund raiser type gigs where there is sound reinforcement but not really anyone that is used to mixing a band or engineering. I don't want to buy a mic and bring it for those gigs. Alternatively, I could just try a Jr. Barnyard pedal with my MicroPro but I could very easily build a speaker cabinet to house the head and pedal quite easily and it would look cooler. The only thing about the Jr. Barnyard pedal that has scared me off is that it really seems to be for adding dirt and I don't want the dirt I just want the girth that these amps bring to the high end. Really my problem is the same as what you deal with all the time-I just want that sound but I need it at greater volumes than the original equipment can handle. I've got a couple of great sounding all octal amps but I play a lot of gigs where I can't use them so I need another solution.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I don't use the pedal, but from my experience, playing the octal tube amp, when I play rhythm I strum very lightly rather than turning down volume. If the pedal does emulate the sound right, it might work the same way. It's a very dynamic type of amp. There is only one condition- it works much better with a single coil pickup. With humbuckers the dynamics almost disappear, and the crunch doesn't clean up with lighter touch.

I hope that makes sense.

Great Hep. I hope that the pedal response is something like this too.
    I really would love to have a V47, but for now I can't afford one, so I'm looking for a way to this sound.
    I'll use it with a P90 from my Godin 5th Av. and with a Pete Biltoft CC's pickups that I'll install in my L-5 replica that a Brazilian luthier is doing for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Well I did the question to Jonathan by anyone with the pedal can answer, of course.
    Clebergf, the pedal will give you that exact response. You can set it to be clean but it will grind as you start to dig in.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan--and I have 4 1/2 octal tube amps. I used the Jr. Barnyard last night at a small venue where we play very quiet with a Fender Tweed Pro Junior, and just a little of the Barnyard for flavor (and some reverb) to fatten the tone. I also use it sometimes with one of my octal amps to boost etc. I've also found it handy to use it to tame an amp that's a little hot. My brown Fender Deluxe with a Tone Tubby Red speaker is sometimes too loud, and rather than turn it down I'll use the Barnyard kind of like a master volume to be able to get a signal that's less "hot" without thinning things out too much.

Here's a clip of me using my Jr Barnyard into my Quilter Aviator. I'm going for a fat clean sound.
    The guitar is an 80's Epi Emperor "F" with Gabojo Dynasonics.

It's a poor quality recording in a noisy room, I can hear that octal tube character coming through.

When I get around to it I'll recording something a bit better. This was recorded mainly for me to get an idea of how I was sounding after the gig.

BTW this is using only the 'preamp' side of the Jr Barnyard turned up to about 11 o'clock, I didn't have the boost on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    Here's a clip of me using my Jr Barnyard into my Quilter Aviator. I'm going for a fat clean sound.

It's a poor quality recording in a noisy room, I can hear that octal tube character coming through.

When I get around to it I'll recording something a bit better. This was recorded mainly for me to get an idea of how I was sounding after the gig.

BTW this is using only the 'preamp' side of the Jr Barnyard turned up to about 11 o'clock, I didn't have the boost on.
    Sounds good! Yet, I don't hear any (slight) break up or compression of the octals, which is to me IS the character. Even if you're not going for that, it kinda happens anyway, at least on mine it does.

Btw, not for nothing, but with the profile like that you oughtta be in movies or something.

The thought of me being in movies is a frightening one!

Thanks for the kind words!

It's pretty subtle - the compression is there, the Dynas in that guitar are pretty 'snappy' sounding, particularly through the Quilter. The Barnyard softens that response considerably. Using a P-90 or a CC pickup would have resulted in a bit more drive and compression. The Dynas despite the fairly high DC resistance (11k ish) are fairly low in actual output.

User Info Menu

Entresz, thanks for the clip. That sounded great (both playing and tone).

User Info Menu

Great tone & playing!

User Info Menu

yeah nice western swing vibe definitely heard...but i hear what hep is saying..a little more octal crunch...should easily be able to get with the dynasonic type pups..they have great growl..they have high resistance figures not cause they are hot, but because they are wound with thin wire..the originals used #44 or #45...i'd bet your new humbucker sized version uses #43...so the resistance still goes up over 10K, but its still relatively clean

cheers

User Info Menu

I'll just highlight:

Yeah, this pedal, when used with low output pickups and without using the boost switch, will thicken your tone without distorting much. I have those Gabojos and they're not all that hot, and I have mine really close to the strings. So the cleanness of the sound doesn't surprise me. I'll see about recording some stuff with this pedal tonight with the gabojos. I think the boost switch makes a difference in the clipping characteristics, even with the boost set to the lowest value. This discussion highlights what I like to much about this pedal. It's not just a little octal amp in a box. It's an octal amp in a box with variable headroom determined by a boost control. You can get as much or as little headroom as you like by combining this with a solid state amp like a quilter.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

Yes, in that video I was going for a clean but fat sound. Wasn't going for any distortion.

I had another gig last night, I used the same 'rig' as in the video. This time I used the boost side of the Barnyard with the gain set to about 11 o'clock, the 'normal' side was set to about 11 o'clock too. This resulted in a nice bit of break up that could be controlled with the volume control on the guitar. The sound, even with the volume backed off a bit was so thick sounding.

When I turned the pedal off just to compare the Quilter's sound on it's own, it sounded pretty bland and sterile in comparison. The Quilter is a very nice sounding amp, so it just goes to show that there's something pretty special about how the Barnyard sounds.

The other thing that I did was raise my Dynas up a bit, I didn't raise them up by much. The slightest adjustments make a pretty big difference with these pickups. I checked the specs on these, they're wound with 44 gauge wire like the old ones - a nice touch! This has fattened up my guitars sound just a bit too.

Tonight I have a big band gig - we're doing "Solo Flight" by Charlie Christian.
    That's the kind of setting where I think this pedal will really shine. I'll try to get a recording of that.

User Info Menu

The other thing that I did was raise my Dynas up a bit, I didn't raise them up by much. The slightest adjustments make a pretty big difference with these pickups. I checked the specs on these, they're wound with 44 gauge wire like the old ones - a nice touch! This has fattened up my guitars sound just a bit too.

yes thats a very "nice touch"... a good sign the pickup maker really knows what he's doing!!..thin wire is tricky to work with too...kudos

11k dyna type with #44 is gonna have output (not tone!) similar to a classic strat single coil wound (with #42) to around 6k

btw, seymour duncan has been making humbucker sized dynas for long while..and i think tv jones offers that mount as well

cheers

User Info Menu

The thought of me being in movies is a frightening one!

Thanks for the kind words!

It's pretty subtle - the compression is there, the Dynas in that guitar are pretty 'snappy' sounding, particularly through the Quilter. The Barnyard softens that response considerably. Using a P-90 or a CC pickup would have resulted in a bit more drive and compression. The Dynas despite the fairly high DC resistance (11k ish) are fairly low in actual output.
    Haha, nah, I just meant you got the look and the style down, if someone needs a gtr player in the movies set in 40's 50's, you'd fit in nicely. Background acting, here in NYC many musicians have a second career, if they can.

So on an octal tube amp, no matter the volume setting, if you play a double stop and dig in, you can hear what I'm talking about. That breakup, compression, whatever, it's unmistakable, and probably the reason I wanted the amp in a first place.

So next time try that- set it clean again, and play some double stops in your solo. I wanna hear how the pedal reacts then, that'd be the ultimate test.

User Info Menu

There was a video, someone posted a while ago, 3 pedals demoed, Barnyard, Mojomojo and something else, for the same purpose of making a sterile amp sound like an old tube ala CC. It was a Henriksen amp IIRC... . Mojomojo was very impressive, I bought it based on that and now use sometimes with my AER. Now I think maybe should've get a Barnyard...

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Yeah I've seen that - a really great video! I was tempted by the Mojomojo, but decided that even if I did buy the Mojomojo, I'd still end up wanting the Barnyard. So went straight to Tavo's website from there . The same person who did that video put some great sound samples up on the TDPRI forum too.

The Barnyard just sounds so natural, it doesn't sound like a pedal plugged into an amp if that makes sense... it acts like an amp, not a pedal.

User Info Menu

Yeah I've seen that - a really great video! I was tempted by the Mojomojo, but decided that even if I did buy the Mojomojo, I'd still end up wanting the Barnyard. So went straight to Tavo's website from there . The same person who did that video put some great sound samples up on the TDPRI forum too.

The Barnyard just sounds so natural, it doesn't sound like a pedal plugged into an amp if that makes sense... it acts like an amp, not a pedal.
    It really does... Its kinda funny that I bought a pedal that emulates the sound of an amp I already own. But they match so good together.. I'm not so much a jazz guitarist, but I admire jazz music and it comes out in my playing.

I can get a tone like "Smoke on the Water" (Red Foley not Deep Purple), and a tone like "Rumble", just from adjusting the volume on my guitar and pick attack.

User Info Menu

I have a passion for this flavor of jazz, and to my ears this clip sounds great. Both the tone and playing. Way to go!

User Info Menu

I own only one "overdrive" pedal and it's a low-gain "Tim Pierce" model by Rockett Audio. When I turn down the Drive knob all the way it works like a charm in front of my Bud or Evans amp for that 40's/50's fat/furry lead tone. One feature of this pedal is especially nice in that it has an extra treble and bass eq with which I can taylor the amount of boost/cut/drive very finely , depending on the room I play in. It does not hiss at all and neither does it color the sound of my guitar, just intruduces a very slight compression/ hint of breakup !
    Just to point out an alternative to the Barnyard pedal which is not widely available....

Used J Rockett Audio Designs Tim Pierce Boost / Overdrive | Reverb

User Info Menu

I have been looking for videos or soundclips with a different amplifier than Quilter, sounds like everyone that uses a JR Barnyard has a Quilter. hahaha.
    I'm curious about how it would sound with a clean tube amp. I'm thinking about buy a Brazilian handmade amp, that is modern, and use the Jr. to get that octal sound.

There's no reason why that wouldn't work. Any amp with a good clean sound would work great with the Barnyard.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the more clean the amp, the more pronounced the effect of the Barnyard will be.
    I use mine with my Quilter, but I've also used it with a few other amps (including a Fender Twin), as well as a Peavey Session 400 (big SS behemoth designed for pedal steel) - all with really good results.

What is great is that you can have that octal tube feel and character, but still have an amp with serious headroom and do gigs that an old Gibson EH185 wouldn't be able to do due to volume limitations.

User Info Menu

I bought the JB pedal a few months and surprised Tavo with my application: I'm running it with my Gibson L7 straight into a Fishman column array PA for gigs. I also have a Quilter MP200-8 but don't like the tone as much with that, not quite clean enough. But the JB works almost like an amp modeler pedal into a PA.

I've also used it to add girth to a Fender Jazz bass for church gigs. I was playing through my wife's Acoustic Image amp, which sounds great with her upright, but is too clean and sterile for electric bass. JB pedal to the rescue, sounds like I'm playing through an old Ampeg fliptop!