The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 274 of 274

User Info Menu

Just got one of these (Junior Barnyard) yesterday... wanted one for years. I've only had a few minutes with it, so no time to explore it at all, but just plugging it in, it sounds pretty authentic to me. I need some time with it, especially since NOTHING is labeled LOL... I've been digging, and I guess one toggle is a bass cut, and the other is a high cut. I'll figure it out.

Now we need to somehow setup a comparison between the JB and the JJ-150! (the "other octal preamp pedal")

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Just got one of these (Junior Barnyard) yesterday... wanted one for years. I've only had a few minutes with it, so no time to explore it at all, but just plugging it in, it sounds pretty authentic to me. I need some time with it, especially since NOTHING is labeled LOL... I've been digging, and I guess one toggle is a bass cut, and the other is a high cut. I'll figure it out.

Now we need to somehow setup a comparison between the JB and the JJ-150! (the "other octal preamp pedal")
    Here's an image that explains the controls on the Jr. Barnyard pedal: Google Image Result for http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1080/6428/products/Jr_Barnyard_MANUAL_2020_grande.png?v=1604892009

User Info Menu

Yeah, I found that pic, it was helpful. I basically leave both switches UP, which on my pedal means the left toggle (bright switch) is OFF, and the right toggle is UP, which means bass is CUT when I engage the boost side. Right now I'm running the preamp vol on about 10:30 and the boost vol at 0 (still adds gain), which allows me to toggle between 2 different gain settings***, with too much increase in volume.

***similar to the other "octal" pedal(thread here), the LL-150 demo video: they call one side "Oscar Moore" and the gainier side "Junior Banard" LOL

I'd still like to check out the LL-150... for the sole fact that is has a master volume, or output control, if you will. Tavo never puts that on his pedals for some reason, and I find them quite handy... but no complaints about the tones of the JB: Tavo nailed it, imo. And if you have seen the videos of Johnathan Stout using one (in threads here), look them up! It really is like an EH-185 in a box. EHIAB lol
    Last edited by ruger9; 02-28-2021 at 02:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Yeah, I found that pic, it was helpful. I basically leave both switches UP, which on my pedal means the left toggle (bright switch) is OFF, and the right toggle is UP, which means bass is CUT when I engage the boost side. Right now I'm running the preamp vol on about 10:30 and the boost vol at 0 (still adds gain), which allows me to toggle between 2 different gain settings***, with too much increase in volume.

***similar to the other "octal" pedal(thread here), the LL-150 demo video: they call one side "Oscar Moore" and the gainier side "Junior Banard" LOL

I'd still like to check out the LL-150... for the sole fact that is has a master volume, or output control, if you will. Tavo never puts that on his pedals for some reason, and I find them quite handy... but no complaints about the tones of the JB: Tavo nailed it, imo. And if you have seen the videos of Johnathan Stout using one (in threads here), look them up! It really is like an EH-185 in a box. EHIAB lol
    Your V2. Jr Barnyard ships on monday.. teheheheh

User Info Menu

Attachment 81537

Nocturne The Jr. Barnyard Preamp-screenshot-2021-05-15-10-53-37-png
    Attached Images Attached Images Nocturne The Jr. Barnyard Preamp-186238462_483148329564042_4154319166373613423_n_1024x1024-jpg 

User Info Menu

The boost switch and knob on the v1 model has been been replaced with a blend control... you blend in the "mic channel" side as much as you want. All the same tones are still there, the boost just isn't foot switchable anymore. I like the new design. V1 will still be available for those who want the foot switchable boost.

User Info Menu

Awesome awesome awesome. I love it even more than V1 !! I don't need the foot switchable boost, as to me this pedal is an AMP- I set it for the old-school tone and play. I use the blend knob for a dirt/EQ adjustment control....

Turns my Gretsch(or tele)>PRRI into an ES-125>ES-150! Well, you know... kinda'... with an actual jazzbox, I would expect great results.

Stellar work, Tavo!!Nocturne The Jr. Barnyard Preamp-img_1866-jpg

User Info Menu

thanks, glad its workin out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Nocturne Brain
    Your V2. Jr Barnyard ships on monday.. teheheheh
    And thanks for the El Pescadoro! I'm lovin' both parts of this ultra-hip pedal!

User Info Menu

my pleasure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Hello there friends. We recorded a new video for Quarantine Session and I used Jr. + AER Compact 60.
    I hope you enjoy it.

awesome talent

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tavo Vega
    awesome talent
    WOW!!! Thank you so much!! W

User Info Menu

how much cleaner can the nocturne get than your demo? I have the same AER setup. Lately I've been running my Vox pathfinder lineout into the AER effects return to bypass the AER eq/preamp in favor of the vox, but still have all the AER's volume. Way too much work!

So i've got the aer and it might be nice to have this pedal to shape the sound a bit. I

User Info Menu

I'm presently using my El Pescadoro (with its Jr. B. section) to warm up my Acoustic Image Series III Corus. Awesome Jazz Tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    how much cleaner can the nocturne get than your demo? I have the same AER setup. Lately I've been running my Vox pathfinder lineout into the AER effects return to bypass the AER eq/preamp in favor of the vox, but still have all the AER's volume. Way too much work!

So i've got the aer and it might be nice to have this pedal to shape the sound a bit. I
    It can get a lot cleaner than Satin Doll video for sure. I like this little "crank" in the tone but you can control it.

Here are some videos from others songs and there is more in my channel.

Last edited by clebergf; 07-21-2021 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I quite like the El Pescadoro for contemporary jazz tones, weirdly

User Info Menu

great vid clips, I need to add some to my site

User Info Menu

thanks so much!

User Info Menu

the campus 5 clips sound great
    with the nocturne pedal
    ————————
    as a side note to Jonathan ….
    thanks for posting that snippet of
    you blowing ….

i love it
    I’m in the process of studying it
    right now
    esp the lick over bars 5-8

very authentic !

This pedal doesn't use a FET. Weird thing to lie about.

User Info Menu

thank you for bringing this incorrect typo on my website to my attention and I've submitted correction to my webmaster. BJT (Bipolar Junction "transistor" ) is the corrected typo that had "FET". Either way it is Transistor based, always has been.. which is the point and he should have it updated at some point today. cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the bigger and cleaner the amp you plug the barnyard into, the more it's distinctive octal flavor will come thru...since the amp will not be generating its own distortion on top of the pedal's....also run it at unity gain or close to it...back off your guitar knobs and dial in your tone with the guitar...so that turning up your guitar will hit the barnyard harder, and it will crunch more...find your sweetspot

and yes the doublestops really sound cool with octals...since the interaction between the notes and the octals slightly off harmonic crunch give it all sorts of rich and strange overtones

cheers
    Thanks Neatomic! You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to share a FYI about pwr supply on the Jr. Barnyard. I was alerted by P. Halperin that some EU folks seem to have wrestled with noise issues, and as I've looked back at a few posts in this regard. I can share these few things:
    1. It uses a standard global power supply design, tried and true, nothing weird. It power consumption is highly economized
    2. this pedal was designed to operate at 9V DC w a (-) tip ONLY.
    It was never intended to work at 12V or 18V. Yes the version 1 will function at higher voltage but the circuit is taxed and it WILL get noisy and probably blow an LED (the earlier ultra violet LED CLR's got mismatched in a few batches) or ultimately fry the transistor and germanium diode.
    The older style, the double stomp V1 has more vintage style through hole components on the circuit board and they seem to handle 12v ok, but its not what I recommend and if you are outside the 1yr warranty then I guess you have free reign to experiment

Under warranty though, it needs to stay at 9volts DC with a good power supply that's at least the quality of a Boss PSA or trutone 1spot. Mind you, putting preamps on daisy chains with other pedals invites noise artifacts from shared grounding in general although is not overwhelmingly present in cleanish jazz rig until preamps and boosters get added. Where as using good power supply units which have isolated ports for each pedal, or if you use a Boss PSA its just powering that one pedal, is ideal.  cheers and I'm happy to answer all questions regarding operation/functionality.

User Info Menu

I pre-ordered one of the newer, vertical oriented versions after stumbling on this thread. Just got it a few days ago, and it is absolutely fantastic. Once dialed in, that that gentle and soft(blue Jean committee!) bit of hair on chords is asmr like pleasing to my ears and single notes are round and wooly.
    As Neatomic so well stated, the cleaner the amp, the more the pedal does it's thing. It accomplishes exactly what I hoped it would through my old twin reverb.
    Attached Images Attached Images Nocturne The Jr. Barnyard Preamp-pxl_20240203_124011096-jpg